Gunbird 2 PS2-DC differences

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
MOSQUITO FIGHTER

Gunbird 2 PS2-DC differences

Post by MOSQUITO FIGHTER »

I know that the PS2 version dosen't save scores and dosen't have morrigan as a selectable character. Any other differences from the DC version. (excessive load times, etc) Being able to use the Saturn controller on the game is too tempting.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

The JPN version saves scores and settings just fine. The PS2 port does have a brief (a second or two, maybe) loading time before each boss dialogue. Only in GB2 though, GB1 doesn't have it for whatever reason.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Neon

Post by Neon »

PS2 one also IIRC has sound problems, and lacks the all-important true low res.

Just get the DC version and a Saturn > DC controller adapter.
Rob

Post by Rob »

One of the few places I've ranted about not liking the PS2 port: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... ht=gunbird
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

I have both versions and regularly shift back and forth. Right now I'm playing the PS2 version because I enjoy being able to use the Saturn pad: the right shoulder trigger is great for the close range attack.

The DC version looks a bit better, and for all I know the sound is better as well-- I play with sound off.

Does the DC version have a practice mode? The PS2 version DOES, and it's very helpful.

There are some subtle differences in the game itself. The most important differences I have noticed come in the England level. With the PS2 version it is utterly mysterious to me how you're supposed to trigger the gem head, whereas doing it in the DC version is trivial/straightforward. I'm convinced that the code was changed for some reason. Second, with the last form of the boss the attack pattern is a bit different.

Out of frustration with the PS2 version of England, I have made the decision to eliminate it from the sequence by turning OFF the random stage setting. Oh well.

Btw, that was a nice score you posted on GB2, Mosquito Fighter. The Gunbird 2 high-score thread is quickly becoming like the Strikers 1945 II thread: for the hardcore/talented only. I can usually get on a high-score board with some dedication, but the Gunbird 2 scoreboard doesn't seem to want to leave room for me. :(
cigsthecat

Post by cigsthecat »

professor ganson wrote:
Does the DC version have a practice mode? The PS2 version DOES, and it's very helpful.
The US DC version has the same debug mode that the PCB has to let you practice any stage you want with various settings. So yes. Hold start while powering up to get to it.
Thunder Force
Location: research and development facility for Vasteel Technology.

Post by Thunder Force »

Neon wrote:PS2 one also IIRC has sound problems, and lacks the all-important true low res.
IIRC the PS2 version only outputs in some kind of low res mode, and actually lacks a high res mode.
"Thunder Force VI does not suck, shut your fucking mouth." ~ Shane Bettenhausen
Neon

Post by Neon »

Thunder Force wrote:
Neon wrote:PS2 one also IIRC has sound problems, and lacks the all-important true low res.
IIRC the PS2 version only outputs in some kind of low res mode, and actually lacks a high res mode.
You might be thinking of the DC port, which is lowres but won't put out a VGA signal (will with hacking, but runs poorly).
Thunder Force

Post by Thunder Force »

Neon wrote:
Thunder Force wrote:
You might be thinking of the DC port, which is lowres but won't put out a VGA signal (will with hacking, but runs poorly).
No, I'm definitely referring to the PS2 version, which outputs in a PS1-like low res video mode only.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Thunder Force wrote:
Neon wrote:
Thunder Force wrote: IIRC the PS2 version only outputs in some kind of low res mode, and actually lacks a high res mode.
No, I'm definitely referring to the PS2 version, which outputs in a PS1-like low res video mode only.
PS2 version can only output 15khz, which technically is lowres (Standard resolution), but unfortunally its interlaced, which is upscaled and filtered lowres. The DC on the other hand, outputs non-interlaced lowres, which is true to the PCB.
Thunder Force

Post by Thunder Force »

Dave_K. wrote:PS2 version can only output 15khz, which technically is lowres (Standard resolution), but unfortunally its interlaced, which is upscaled and filtered lowres.
Fair enough, I guess not all low-res modes are created equal. When I hear the term "filtered" however I tend to think of a hi res video mode, rather than interlacing.
it290

Post by it290 »

Interlaced in generic TV terms pretty much means hi-res, although it's possible to have an interlaced signal without it being hi-res. It doesn't imply filtering or scaling though, especially in the case of games where the original output is hi-res. Regular NTSC resolution is 'hi-res' when talking about videogames, since it is 480 lines vs the 200/224/240 type modes normally output by older systems, but in TV terms it is 'standard resolution' as opposed to HD.
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
Obiwanshinobi

Re: Gunbird 2 PS2-DC differences

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Does Gubird 2 for the PAL Dreamcast output 60 Hz? Most PAL DC games released by Capcom seem to do, but here I am asking. Also, I read that the NTSC US/C Gunbird 2 doesn't support RGB for whatever reason. Is the PAL version also lacking it? Now THAT would be mysterious.

Also, is PAL Charge 'N Blast 60 Hz? Not asking about VGA of course, just SDTV output. Sega also was pretty consistent in that respect, but better safe than sorry. (Looks a lot like Space Raiders* to me, which I find very pleasant.)

*) I like the title better than "Space Invaders: Invasion Day".
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off