If the Raiden Fighters series does get a PS2 port, I wonder

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
dave4shmups

If the Raiden Fighters series does get a PS2 port, I wonder

Post by dave4shmups »

if Seibu will also give it an XBOX port, considering that Raiden Fighers Evolution got cancelled?
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
jiji

Post by jiji »

That's a pretty big 'if.' Where did the idea of them being ported to PS2 come from?
Rob

Post by Rob »

If pigs fly, can cows do it too? Set aside $50, seems perfectly logical to me.
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

im glad to hear it rob. i'll be sure to set that money aside as well. by the way, what is RF Evolution?
I have no sig whatsoever.
jiji

Post by jiji »

RF Evolution was an Xbox port/enhancement of RF1 that was canned when its developer, New World System, went under.
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

New Word System was also planning on porting RF2 & Jet. Pictures of the ported RF1 made it onto the NWS website. Lots of extras were planned for RF1, including new modes and graphics.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

"That's a pretty big 'if.' Where did the idea of them being ported to PS2 come from?"

The idea is that if Raiden 3 gets a home port on the PS2 (which it probably will since it's a Type-X shmup) then Seibu might port the Raiden Fighers series to the PS2 as well-seeing as how they will then be the only Raiden games unplayable on a home console.

I don't know about setting aside $50 just yet Rob, the port may come next year, and end up on the XBOX 2.
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

dave4shmups wrote:"That's a pretty big 'if.' Where did the idea of them being ported to PS2 come from?"

The idea is that if Raiden 3 gets a home port on the PS2 (which it probably will since it's a Type-X shmup) then Seibu might port the Raiden Fighers series to the PS2 as well-seeing as how they will then be the only Raiden games unplayable on a home console.
The more likely scenario is Taito publishing and porting the Raiden series just as they did with the Psikyo collection. Establishing a relationship with Taito is the way to go for shooter developers. Every arcade Taito related shooter (Shikigami, XIIstag, Psyvariar, etc.) over the last 5 years has been released on console. Taito also has the resources to port and publish shooters, whereas companies like New World System do not.