Update on the Native rumors (some bad news and some good too

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Super Laydock

Update on the Native rumors (some bad news and some good too

Post by Super Laydock »

Thought I'd post this, but to be honest I am not convinced yet myself.
The elusive shmup of which only a demo for the Jaguar had been released, might just be ported and finished for the Dreamcast.

http://www.duranik.com/english/jaguar.html

for the conversation about it on the DCS forum click through from this site (go through the community link):

http://www.dreamcast-petition.com/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
***EDIT*** Not Native, but other shmup by Duranik is in development for the DC***

see my post below for some scarce info
Last edited by Super Laydock on Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Barroom hero!
Bathroom hero!
MadSteelDarkness

Post by MadSteelDarkness »

Wow!

I'd heard of this thing before, but had never seen screenshots. Sexy!
Thanks for the info, Super Laydock!

*crosses fingers*
Last edited by MadSteelDarkness on Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
BUHA

Post by BUHA »

wow

another sidescroller for the DC? did you check out the videos? (even thought they're really short!). man, i'm excited about this one.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Man, the DC really is the console that refuses to die! And I certainly hope this is true!! :D
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I love R-Type, but this really looks like a blantant R-Type clone. Some levels seem to be borrowing directly from R-Type games, the ship looks very familiar, and even the power bar setup looks familiar.
greg

Post by greg »

The link Laydock provided has some exceptional looking video demos. Very beautiful, fluid animation. I didn't think much of this game until I saw these vids! Can this really be played on the Jaguar? Beautiful!
Undamned is the leading English-speaking expert on the consolized UD-CPS2 because he's the one who made it.
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

It's only a logical choice to release the game on a system with an installed user base and low development costs, as opposed to an already gone system, or a new console with high development costs.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
LoneSage

Post by LoneSage »

Hot damn, looks like someone finally utilized the power of the Jaguar to its fullest...looks amazing.

What's up with people developing for the Jaguar nowadays?
the2bears

Post by the2bears »

Anyone else get this working on an emulator? I did, and... well, it needs a lot of work still. There seem to be power-ups but I can't get my ship to capture them. Touching them seems to do nothing. The graphics are'nt bad though, I'm excited about the prospects of this coming out! I love R-Type and this is certainly in that style.

Bill
Neon

Post by Neon »

Anyone else get this working on an emulator? I did, and... well, it needs a lot of work still.
You have to keep in mind, that's only a demo, isn't it? from 1993 or whenever. Gotta be somewhat different now.
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

Neato. Keep 'em comin'.
alpha5099

Post by alpha5099 »

Wait, I'm not quite sure what this news means. Is the game being commercially released for the Dreamcast, or is it a homebrew that we can download and burn onto a disc?
icepick

Post by icepick »

alpha5099 wrote:Is the game being commercially released for the Dreamcast, or is it a homebrew that we can download and burn onto a disc?
Well, it depends on what you mean by "commercial." If this news is legitimate, and the arrangements are made, then, the game could be pressed at a factory, which would be slightly above the quality of downloading and recording to CD-R. But, it wouldn't be a GD-ROM, and it wouldn't be endorsed by Sega, and, well...

:?

(We'll have to wait to find out whether or not it's actually coming out, and if so, in which format it will be available.)
\\ /\/\ \
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

Wow, this is great news if it pans out. Have always wanted to fight that nasty praying mantis on my screen in all its pre-rendered shine. :)
qatmix

Post by qatmix »

I heard they are doing a differnt game for the Dc?
Super Laydock

Post by Super Laydock »

qatmix wrote:I heard they are doing a differnt game for the Dc?
well, it's now official that Duranik is working on a Dreamcast game but also that it isn't Native... :(.
The afforementioned MAX got this directly from Duranik himself.

MAX wrote
Duranik told me to make it official... Native won't be released on the Dreamcast, but another shooter which is currently in development. One of the reasons it that Native won't use the Dreamcast capabilities even a bit.
hmm, Native was looking quite good, if the new shooter would be even prettier I guess it might be good in any case.

Also a direct quote from a reply forum member Jon Misugi got from Duranik himself:
We just started work on a DC Project. It is not a Native port but
something similar.
The game has still a long way to go and more infos and screens will not
be released before we reach a beta stadium.

Regards

Johannes / Duranik
So bad new is: we're not getting Native. :(
And good news: a possibly even better looking shmup for the DC. :D
Barroom hero!
Bathroom hero!
Stormwatch

Post by Stormwatch »

That sounds good!
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Sweet. If the Dreamcast ever dies, we can be sure it will do it with no regrets at all. *kisses his Dreamcast*
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
jp

Post by jp »

But... but...

I want Native... :cry:
RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!!!!!!
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

Bummer that it's not Native but I will look towards his new DC project with anticipation.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Same here! :D

Stinks that Native will probably never get finished for the Jaguar, though. Unfinished shmups just make me sad. :(
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
PC Engine Fan X!

At least you can play the Native demo on the JagCD...

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Sure, I've gotten the chance to play the single stage demo of Native (complete with sound effects and cool BGM tunes) with a cool end-stage boss fight of a praying mantis at the World of Atari 1998 Expo in Las Vegas in August of 1998. Of course, the real Native demo exists on a notebook computer and was transferred to a 2mb Jaguar Flash cartridge for demo purposes only.

However, if you get ahold of a Native demo from Songbird Productions, that Native demo has the sound effects and background music missing + you can't grab up power-ups to increase them nor can you fight the praying mantis boss either. Plus you have to have a either a "Jag Free CD compatible cartridge" or a B&C Computer Visions "Jaguar CD Bypass Cartridge" just to be able to even play the Songbird version of Native demo on the Jaguar CD interface unit.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
LoneSage

Post by LoneSage »

Who are MAX and Duranik, and what shmups have they worked on?