Has a shmup ever made you cry?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
tehkao

Has a shmup ever made you cry?

Post by tehkao »

It happened to me once...I remember after I finally beat Thunderforce 4 on Mania mode after 2 months of non-stop practice, my eyes got teary as I heard the ending credits music...because I couldn't believe that I finally beat it.
Neon

Post by Neon »

stop spamming
tehkao

Post by tehkao »

How is this spam? :(
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

Not from my own gameplay, but as I was watching the Ikaruga Appreciate DVD, and .. *spoilers*

At the very end when the guy is mad lasering the stone to the point of self-destruction..... that brought tears to my eyes... and just amazed me even more how beautiful this game is.
alpha5099

Post by alpha5099 »

Well, I don't think this is what you mean, but my eyes get red and teary after I play Noiz2sa. 5 minutes without blinking is quite a strain.

I don't think I've ever had tears of joy, but I've definitely teared up a little from frustration. Never curled-into-a-fetal-position-wailing, just so pissed off, verge of hissy fit tears. I can only think of one example, but I'm pretty sure there've been plenty of other examples.

The first boss of Game Tengoku. Fucking A, that fucking demonic arcade machine, it is my archnemesis. The mere thought of it fills me full of the purest form of bile-inducing loathing. One time, late at night, I must've soft reset two dozen times in a row, every time that asshole would kill me and I would swear a blue streak and start over, determined to rejoice in its inevitable defeat, a defeat that did not decimate my reserves or require panic bombing. I was definitely crying.

Oh, the joy that would fill my heart when I no missed the first boss of Game Tengoku. I would dance, dance the hours away atop its grave. And I would raise my arms triumphantly to the Heavens, and I would exclaim with all my energy, "Huzzah!"

Long story short, I hate that bastard.
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

Well, I once got a little "choked up" when I was playing Lords of Thunder while riding a cool beer buzz. It really helped that I had the music BLASTING!
Still, hearing the bosses "roar n' cry out" when you're killing em makes it all the more enjoyable!

Hey settle down there snapperhead! (Neon) I've read worse posts than this one.
(A certain Trizeal will suck before I even play it thread comes to mind)
japtor

Post by japtor »

cry, no.

but i have been utterly defeated.

ikaruga - i still havent 1cc'd this. ive come close 4 times i think. 3, 6, 9, and 11 seconds within doing so. those were all pretty painful. ill probably do it once i get to jamma rigging my dc.

ketsui - no deaths through the first 2-3 levels, then up to 6 deaths in 4. on the occasions i survive to get to level 5, usually die within a few seconds.
landshark

Post by landshark »

Cry in the physical sense, no.

But I was going to post a comment to the Raiden DX thread asking if anyone else feels like crying when they are doing good, and then accidentally pick up one of those damned blue-laser powerups instantly rendering your ship useless.
Anarchos

Post by Anarchos »

No, cried to a shmup, never. But I agree with iatneh that Ikaruga is really beatiful at the end when one suicides against the last boss and birds begin to fly around...
Super Laydock

Post by Super Laydock »

hmm, never cried because shmup itself. That said when listening to the Gradius Arcade Soundtrack compilation I sometimes get really melancholic and on a bad day it can bring a tear to my eye (thinking: those were the days). :cry: :oops:
Last edited by Super Laydock on Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Barroom hero!
Bathroom hero!
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

I cried with a shmup, indeed.

It was Zanac X Zanac. I had waited 4 bloody years to get my hands on it. When I fired up the game, and heard the remixed Zanac title theme, I just couldn't resist and I cried.
Andi

Post by Andi »

You guys are crybabies.
RedKnight

Post by RedKnight »

I cry when I finished Final fantasy VI.

oops wrong thread.
zinger

Post by zinger »

I actually cried the first time I reached the third stage in Metal Black. Great graphics and an amazing soundtrack, beautiful :cry:
FRO

Post by FRO »

Only three games have affected me emotionally when I played them, none of them being shmups: Lunar Silver Star, Lunar Eternal Blue, and Final Fantasy 7.
marcus12024

Post by marcus12024 »

I almost cried when I fell off my dance mat while trying to play Gradius V (seriously!). I slipped and whacked my forearm on my coffee table. Had a bruise the size of a softball on my arm, and thought that I had broken it.

I may have been drunk at the time.

In other news, I may also be stupid.
magnum opus

Post by magnum opus »

alpha5099 wrote:Well, I don't think this is what you mean, but my eyes get red and teary after I play Noiz2sa. 5 minutes without blinking is quite a strain.
man i don't think i blinked the entire time i 1CCed radio zonde, particularly during the last boss. my eyes felt like they were going to commit suicide.

on an unrelated not same thing happens a lot when i play tony hawk.
Skyline

Post by Skyline »

I've never actually cried or felt like crying during a shmup..

I do however, get nervous as FUCK...the most recent one being when I was playing a random game of ESPRa.De...usually I choke around the 4th stage..this time I almost cleared stage 5-1...but I was so unfamiliar with ANYTHING that was going on, I was in Panic Mode. My heart was pounding like a frickin' jackhammer.

Maybe that's why I suck so much when it comes to Cave games :/
marcus12024 wrote:I almost cried when I fell off my dance mat while trying to play Gradius V (seriously!). I slipped and whacked my forearm on my coffee table. Had a bruise the size of a softball on my arm, and thought that I had broken it.

I may have been drunk at the time.

In other news, I may also be stupid.
Video plz. :mrgreen:
system11

Post by system11 »

You couldn't call it crying, more like the sadness and despair of one who has been crushed utterly.

DDPDOJ, level 3, sometimes 4 if you manage to somehow not to run out of bombs after the midboss.
marcus12024

Post by marcus12024 »

Skyline wrote: Video plz. :mrgreen:
While I don't have a video of this happening, maybe I should figure out a way to get some film of me playing Gradius V with the dance mat. It could be inspirational. It could also be used to show people what is possibly the stupidest way to play a shmup. I even had to rig up the mat so that the fire button could be constantly held down - it was much too difficult otherwise.

Anyone else actually been injured while playing shmups? :lol:
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

I start bawling every time I even think about either of the Mobile Light Force games...*sniff* dang, excuse me a sec...
neojma

Giga Wing 2 laugh/cry!!!

Post by neojma »

Giga Wing 2. We had a 4 player game going on at a friend's place with a nice bigscreen TV and the sound cranked up. The characters' shouts all echoing over each other at once and interrupting each other was just too much. "REFRECTOOO FOOOAAACCCEEEE" "REFRECTOOOO RASER" "REFRE..."REFRECT...."REFRE..."REFREEEECCCTOOOOO FOOO"..."REFREEEECTTOOO FOOOOACEEE". Anyone who can handle that for two straight minutes without at least cracking a smile (or throwing the machine out the window) doesn't have a soul.

I was laughing so hard I cried, as did some of the others in attendance. Really, everyone needs to get three people together for GW2 even if they suck at shooters and just go to town with the reflects. One of my defining memories of playing multiplayer games.
Skyline

Re: Giga Wing 2 laugh/cry!!!

Post by Skyline »

neojma wrote:Giga Wing 2. We had a 4 player game going on at a friend's place with a nice bigscreen TV and the sound cranked up. The characters' shouts all echoing over each other at once and interrupting each other was just too much. "REFRECTOOO FOOOAAACCCEEEE" "REFRECTOOOO RASER" "REFRE..."REFRECT...."REFRE..."REFREEEECCCTOOOOO FOOO"..."REFREEEECTTOOO FOOOOACEEE". Anyone who can handle that for two straight minutes without at least cracking a smile (or throwing the machine out the window) doesn't have a soul.

I was laughing so hard I cried, as did some of the others in attendance. Really, everyone needs to get three people together for GW2 even if they suck at shooters and just go to town with the reflects. One of my defining memories of playing multiplayer games.
PROTIP: It's even more fun when all 3 of said friends and yourself are intoxicated. XD
neojma

Re: Giga Wing 2 laugh/cry!!!

Post by neojma »

Skyline wrote: PROTIP: It's even more fun when all 3 of said friends and yourself are intoxicated. XD
Amen to that! You speak the truth.
popawell

I cry when I get stuck on gradius 2 (arcade)

Post by popawell »

Yeah 6 hours of non stop death and reloading a save state had me bawling when I finaly got to the final boss then crashed into the wall.
"There is always an exception to every rule."
jp

Post by jp »

I may have teared up when I finally 1CC'd Radiant Silvergun and/or Metal Black. I felt I deserved a lifetime achievement award after that shit. :shock:
RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!!!!!!
MASTER SATAN

Post by MASTER SATAN »

Rez on Dreamcast gave me tears though I was tripping.
uwfan

Post by uwfan »

jp wrote:I may have teared up when I finally 1CC'd Radiant Silvergun and/or Metal Black. I felt I deserved a lifetime achievement award after that shit. :shock:
you do.
black mariah
Banned User

Post by black mariah »

Mars Matrix and Giga Wing, for some reason, always make my eyes burn and water like crazy. Nothing else does that. :?:
Blow up self to involve enemies.