Over Ob J オーバーオブジェ Famicom

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
SuperDeadite

Over Ob J オーバーオブジェ Famicom

Post by SuperDeadite »

All I can say is, "HOLY SHIT"
https://youtu.be/VS3kpRQKPBY
Ghegs

Re: Over Ob J オーバーオブジェ Famicom

Post by Ghegs »

Yeah, I've been following that since the dev started working on it. It's the same guy who made the quite awesome F-Theta, he's nothing short of a genius when it comes to programming on the Famicom.

Over Obj looks to be technically hugely impressive, up there with (and maybe even surpassing) Recca, but from all the footage I've seen, the gameplay feels a bit lacking. No power-ups, no scoring system that I can see beyond basic "destroy this enemy for this amount of points", only one weapon, all the stages take place in space (probably a technical necessity at that point)...it's a great engine that's begging for an experienced game designer to fully utilize it. But that's just my impression from the videos, hopefully it has a bit more meat on its (gorgeous) bones.

I'll still try to get my hands on it.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Steven

Post by Steven »

Sold out, unfortunately. Good luck getting it now.
cfx

Post by cfx »

Looks like the absolute worst type of bullet hell for my tastes.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Restocked. 2 copies left. https://shop.1983.jp/shop/shop.cgi?orde ... superkey=1

Will probably sell out before you see this, but I tried, I guess. I did get a copy for myself, too. I doubt that many people here besides me will actually manage to get this, so I guess I might as well review it or whatever whenever it arrives.

Edit 3 minutes later: yep, all gone
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

The dev has tweeted that the game will be in production for about a year, so I'm not terribly concerned about the availability at the moment. Even F-Theta can still be acquired from JPN stores, and it's been out for well over a year now.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
FRO

Post by FRO »

Ghegs wrote:The dev has tweeted that the game will be in production for about a year, so I'm not terribly concerned about the availability at the moment. Even F-Theta can still be acquired from JPN stores, and it's been out for well over a year now.
This is good to know, because it looks like it's sold through twice now. I'd definitely like to snag a copy.
pablumatic

Post by pablumatic »

Got a copy from BEEP Shop a moment ago.

https://www.beep-shop.com/ec/products/d ... F-3--35721

They announced new stock at least three hours prior to myself placing an order. So its much easier to grab now.

Update: Sold out about an hour and a half later. Still looking a lot easier to grab already.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Ghegs wrote:The dev has tweeted that the game will be in production for about a year, so I'm not terribly concerned about the availability at the moment. Even F-Theta can still be acquired from JPN stores, and it's been out for well over a year now.
Okay, cool. I hate it when stuff insta-sells out before you know it exists and it's impossible to get the game, so this makes me glad. If F-Theta is that good, maybe I should get a copy of that, too.

Anyway, I am looking forward to getting this, as it looks like it really pushes the FC to its limits and I like games that do that sort of thing. Yeah, I am honestly more interested in this as a tech demo than as a game since I do not prefer bullet hell, but I will be satisfied if the game is as fun as it is technically impressive.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Seems to have some compatibility issues. FC recently released carts seem to have these kind of quirks.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Steven

Post by Steven »

What is it not working on? I only have an Nt mini Noir, so hopefully it works on that, but if it doesn't work on that hopefully I will at least be able to use it to dump the ROM and try a different emulator.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

The sales link above states some of the incompatibilities. It mentions the Sharp has a CPU issue with it.

I also have an NT noir so your findings will be greatful.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
alamone

Post by alamone »

Specifically, it says that for early lot (not specified exactly) Twin Famicoms, there is a CPU bug that may cause issues. Of course I have a Twin Famicom, but I have no idea if it falls under "early lot" or not.

Since it's listed as working on a Retro Freak (i.e. Retron), I think it should work in an Analogue NT, but who knows unless it's actually tested.

I'm waiting for restock on kaden no ken chan.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Game finally shipped. Looks like it is in Sapporo right now, so I imagine it will probably not arrive until Monday~Tuesday or so, probably while I am at work and unable to receive it.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Get. Holy crap it's tiny!

Will test it now, but I have to go to work in a few minutes, so I won't be able to do much.

It works on the Nt mini Noir.

There is an extremely basic scoring system: no miss bonus and no bomb bonus at the end of the stage. That's it. Within the first 3 stages I have not seen a way to get more bombs other than dying, and there are no powerups at all. Extend score seems to be every 100,000 points. There is a continue option on the title screen, but I didn't have time to really mess around with anything else. There are no options at all.

The gameplay and music... exist. I don't want to immediately put this in the "Yep, it's a tech demo" category, but it sure is tempting. It's harder than I thought it would be, though I am not really sure I would call the gameplay especially interesting. My original impression was "Solar Striker but with more enemy bullets, a bomb, and no powerups".
alamone

Post by alamone »

I was getting more of a Recca vibe than Solar Striker, but of course Recca has awesome music and funky raster effects in the background, whereas this game... seems to be mostly black empty space for the backgrounds... and I haven't listened to the music. Maybe I'll have to wait and see, since it is priced as a full price game...
Steven

Post by Steven »

Further testing reveals some interesting stuff. This is one of those games where moving diagonally against the edge of the screen makes you move more slowly. Yay, I guess. Didn't really test to see if regular diagonal movement makes you move more slowly, though.

What's more interesting is that your bomb doesn't actually do any damage at all. I don't think I have ever seen a game with a bomb that doesn't do any damage before, but here it is. I also read the super short 2-page instruction manual and it says that you get a bomb every 100,000 points, so every time you get an extend you'll get a bomb as well. You are also given a bomb when you die unless you are at max bombs, which is 5.

No success dumping the cart with the Noir, though; it needs to know the cart's mapper and I don't have that information, and it's been so long since the I last time that I used this thing that I forgot how the cart-dumping thingy works anyway.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

When will the next production run of Over Object be released?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
DejahThoris

Post by DejahThoris »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:When will the next production run of Over Object be released?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
It's available now, no need to wait for another run.

Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke »

DejahThoris wrote:
PC Engine Fan X! wrote:When will the next production run of Over Object be released?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
It's available now, no need to wait for another run.

Unless it was 3 copies, its sold out again.

So hopefully this has a higher release than a couple every few days.
'Only a fool trusts his life to a weapon.'
Steven

Post by Steven »

Honestly, I don't think it's really worth it unless you REALLY just want to see your Famicom vomit bullets all over the screen.
Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke »

I mean, it looks decent, and how it plays is up to the individual so given its around $100 USD for a physical copy, its worth a try and if its no good, well that's what ebay is for.

I have very few FC/NES games anyway and unless I am mistaken, there probably won't be a ROM or digital sale of this game around if ever so its worth potential buy and try.
'Only a fool trusts his life to a weapon.'
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

My proxy buyer guy managed to grab me a copy from that Beep stock, so I'll be getting my hands on it sooner rather later now.

I have a sizable Famicom/NES collection and pretty much all the officially released games I want, so I tend to pick up interesting homebrews when they become available. And I really want to support this dev in particular, since I enjoyed F-Theta very much and I hope he keeps making Famicom homebrew.

My videos
pegboy

Post by pegboy »

I got one too from beep. Thank you random youtube video.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

https://twitter.com/ls_create/status/16 ... 2636317696

The dev's latest tweet, as translated by Google, says "...score increases as you shoot closer to the enemy. You can get a higher score by aiming and sticking to the opening of a large Zako or a boss."

So it does have at least something more to the scoring. Neat.

My videos
Steven

Post by Steven »

This game actually gets fairly difficult once you get to stage 4. There is an insane amount of stuff on screen and your route needs to be more or less perfect unless you want to use a lot of bombs.
alamone

Post by alamone »

Steven wrote:No success dumping the cart with the Noir, though; it needs to know the cart's mapper and I don't have that information, and it's been so long since the I last time that I used this thing that I forgot how the cart-dumping thingy works anyway.
Try mapper 2
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Considering this is a recently-released homebrew title by a single dev, all technical discussion about how to dump the rom and especially about sharing it will get all parties involved quickly banned.

My videos
alamone

Post by alamone »

Ghegs wrote:Considering this is a recently-released homebrew title by a single dev, all technical discussion about how to dump the rom and especially about sharing it will get all parties involved quickly banned.
I understand that promoting piracy is against the rules, but I don't see anything that's against the rules regarding assisting a user, who purchased their own legit copy, making their own dump for their own private use. If I'm mistaken, kindly refer me to the exact paragraph in the rules. FYI, I have purchased my own copy from Beep.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Do we really need a specific rule for that? We wouldn't entertain "Hey how I can dump Switch carts? It's for my own private use only." -types of topics either. I would've thought it common sense.

I'm not accusing you or Steven of wanting to share the rom online, but the moment somebody confirms they have managed to dump it, there will be people asking for it either publicly or in private, and sooner or later it will be out in the wild (if it isn't already). I do not want this site to become thought of as a place from which roms of newly-released, still-in-production games can be sourced. Even if it is "only" a homebrew Famicom title.

My videos