What is your favorite shmup style/setting?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!

What's your favorite shmup style/theme/setting?

Poll ended at Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:15 am

Spaceship/Sci-fi
55%
heroic/medieval fantasy
21%
Realistic/Modern/Military
5%
Cute/Comical/Wacky
18%

Total votes: 38

tehkao

What is your favorite shmup style/setting?

Post by tehkao »

Personally I like a bit of variety in my shmups...the lone spaceship vs huge alien armada themes gets tiresome after a while...
landshark

Post by landshark »

I like most genres, but favor sci-fi. However, there's always a place for medieval stuff ... dragons rule.
Ord

Post by Ord »

I'm a big fan of the steampunk setting - Progear, Steel Empire and to a lesser extent Espgaluda. Ibara looks like it may have some steampunk qualities, which is cool. :D
Ikaruga review now up in PLASMA BLOSSOM
system11

Post by system11 »

For steampunkish stuff - see also Boogie Wings, and P-47 Aces.
raiden

Post by raiden »

I like unique settings, that´s why I didn´t vote for a genre. Examples would be Dangun Feveron and Esprade. The only case where I can forgive a game for cloning a genre is when it improves so much upon its predecessors that it makes them obsolete. Medieval Japan had been done in MUSHA and Sengoku Ace/Blade already, but Guwange did it so much better that I wouldn´t think about going back, at least for style.

Things that haven´t been overdone yet/not done good enough yet:
- Castlevania style
- abstract style. Everybody compares ABA games to Rez, but they must have somehow forgotten how great Rez really looks.
- Wild West. Gun Frontier is a joke.
- Old Egypt. One of the Dezaemon2 games does it, but it could be done so much better.
- cute Anime style. Neither Parodius nor Gunbird or all those doujin games realize the potential.
- Game Tengoku needs to be remade with modern hardware.

there are certainly more. But I don´t need any more military, spaceship, insect, medieval settings.
Jon

Post by Jon »

I prefer the bio-organic themes to mechanized ones any day of the week. Any fantasy or midevil settings also earn high points in my book.
FatCobra

Post by FatCobra »

I like either fantasy settings or WWII settings. Dragons and prop-driven airplanes rule. Actually I'd like to see a combination of both settings in one game.
Imhotep

Post by Imhotep »

I really like the medieval Japan stuff, but what I dig most is occult-driven technology.
Anarchos

Post by Anarchos »

Didn't vote. Gameplay is what matters the most in the end, and some games which I wouldn't like normally like Strikers, are very charming although they are in a WW2 setting, which I usually don't like. Mushihimesama looks really cool, btw.
Andi

Post by Andi »

FatCobra wrote:I like either fantasy settings or WWII settings. Dragons and prop-driven airplanes rule. Actually I'd like to see a combination of both settings in one game.
Dude, Kingdom Grandprix for the Saturn. It's got a steam-age technology combined with fantasy theme.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

And then, of course, there's its predecessor, Mahou Daisakusen...I would almost group Gunbird in with that area too, since it's got dragons and other mythical critters flying around amidst giant robots and the like.
alpha5099

Post by alpha5099 »

Pirates!

I don't think I've seen a single pirate themed shmup, and that makes me sad.

I had a hard time deciding. They all have their advantages. It was a toss up between Cute and Fantasy. I think I'll go with the crowd and voice my approval for steampunk settings. Lots of Psikyo games have nice steampunk settings, even to some extent the Strikers games, if we allow gigantic mechs in the 40s to be steampunk.

I guess I like a novel setting best of all. Gameplay can carry a shmup most of the time, but a nice design can make me overlook other shortcomings.
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

Sci-fi all the way. And I can't stand the latter 2 settings (modern and wacky) for some reason.
Davey

Post by Davey »

I'm still waiting for a sickeningly cute manic shmup. Imagine DDP DOJ with Boobahs as enemies... how could you possibly get mad at that?