Best SHMUPS Stories?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
PC Engine Fan X!

Re: Best SHMUPS Stories?

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

The wild 'n' crazy stories found within Psikyo's Gunbird 2 (especially during a two player session) is a hoot -- so many different pairings of characters to see the different stories played out between stages & what unfolds after the eventual conclusion.

Makes me wonder how Gunbird 3's even zanier then the second outing with all new overall arching plots & sly 'n' witty banter between returning characters + new ones introduced for the first time would've fared out if it was greenlit/developed instead of Psikyo's final swan song that is Dragon Blaze -- we'll never know, will we?

What further adventures await Aine and company in the newest outing/romp of Gunbird 3 this time around? It's a given that Psikyo would've introduced a brand new game mechanic to spice up the gameplay, indeed, as it's a tradition that's well known & established within it's famous arcade lore/history.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

If they do Gunbird 3, they better make Marion the main character like always. It just ain't Gunbird without her.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:What further adventures await Aine
Spoiler alert: it probably involves rape. Literally every single one of his co-op endings in GB2 involve rape aside from Alucard's, where he agrees to give Alucard the medicine in exchange for a night of hot sex. There's even one where he fucks Tavia's uncle while she's right there.

AINE, WTF DUDE

Lord only knows how this only got a Teen rating on the Dreamcast release. Good thing he's a secret character!

Many of the endings in GB2 and GB1 are much more wholesome though.

ImageImageImageImage

Flycast

Post by Flycast »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:
PC Engine Fan X! wrote:What further adventures await Aine
Spoiler alert: it probably involves rape. Literally every single one of his co-op endings in GB2 involve rape aside from Alucard's, where he agrees to give Alucard the medicine in exchange for a night of hot sex. There's even one where he fucks Tavia's uncle while she's right there.

AINE, WTF DUDE

Lord only knows how this only got a Teen rating on the Dreamcast release. Good thing he's a secret character!

Many of the endings in GB2 and GB1 are much more wholesome though.

ImageImageImageImage

WTH ahahah
Ok , the argument is ..well...you know...
But the representation is so silly XD , 16+ is ok for this probably.
Playing Now: Gleylancer
Playing Now: Strikers 1945 II

New account name: Lemnear

I'm a Barbie girl in a bullets world.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

Minus the reason the Con-Human went rogue, I love the plot of RayForce. It's rare you play a game where you destroy the planet. Even rarer where it's not a meme or joke plot or a twist that undermines that goal.
You absolutely are going to destroy Earth, our home, and the game is deathly serious about it.

What I like is how the journey to the core is contextualized beautifully through gameplay and presentation. Every stage is a further descent and there's no cuts between them. The music really helps to tell a story or at least paint a deeper picture.
Stage 3's Vision in particular stands out to me. It really makes you feel like you're entering the atmosphere of the planet. That you're rediscovering the beauty of the pilot's former home that she is en route to destroy. The song sounds like looking through a window beneath you or opening your eyes to see a vast and wonderous expanse.

The final stage's unnerving opening theme highlights an ominous upcoming threat. It then abruptly changes as you break through to see a bewildering, terraformed core of the planet. The music and visual framing gives the sense of awe at what Con-Human was able to do to Earth.
And then you beat it. Pilot sacrifices herself and the Earth is destroyed. It's kind of like Ketsui (or I guess the reverse) in being a non-victory. Something that needed to be done but at a tremendous loss. I'd oddly say it's one of the better video game plots in general since by it's nature, there's not nearly as much in the way of immersion breaking dissonance assuming you can get through the game cleanly. I'm not sure if it was a feature in the original versions, but shutting off the HUD in the Switch port adds to the experience. And it doesn't say a word other than "make a left turn".

This game is fantastic.
gray117

Post by gray117 »

Atmospheric wise Soukygurentai and Ikuraga.

Tbh I actually clicked on this link thinking it was going to be dev stories... I don't want to imply a stg can't have an amazing story... but for sure I feel on typically small teams narrative takes a back seat to mechanical considerations.

Always been curious to pick up the batsugun manga - did it get translated?
Aquas

Post by Aquas »

Caladrius Blaze, a very fleshed out world with a various cast all with different motivations.

Mushihimesama - The cycle of Forest Guardian duty which Reco is forced into, to prove herself to the previous guardian, Aki. Shades of Nausicaa.

Ginga Force - takes you for a ride with the SDF force of Alex and what's her face. Corrupt government / officials / basic but effective - because the presentation of the story is snappy, ocurring through out the game.

Raiden V - They actually talk about the Crystals as the enemy, along with ranting about other crap. I find it quite amusing and helpful towards the world building.

Seconding Metal Black. Dude goes rogue cause he's just pissed that nothing is being done to save his ruined Earth. He ends up getting a bit more than he asks for when he steals the Black Fly - an experimental craft, made to utilize the neuron power of the aliens themselves. Especially with how up to interpretation the endings are - as in one ending, the inability to comprehend the aliens is conveyed smoothly IMO.

Biohazard Battle / Crying - A ruined Earth yet again, iirc humans send in organisms to do their dirty work.

Sylphia - Pure revenge story. A woman fallen in her brave act to protect her people from demons. Is reincarnated as a laser shooting fairy to protect her people, and enact revenge.

Xevious - The grandaddy of shmup stories. Popularized the concept of video games being treated like movies, manga, and various media as pertaining to ambitious world building. Had its own novel.
STG Weekly!, 1cc's, twitch, XBL: DJ Aquazition
The in-game papers prove that being the paperboy is actually a position of the greatest importance,
ranking alongside top elected officials for notoriety. -Ed Oscuro
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Aquas wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 3:24 am Ginga Force - takes you for a ride with the SDF force of Alex and what's her face. Corrupt government / officials / basic but effective - because the presentation of the story is snappy, ocurring through out the game.

Raiden V - They actually talk about the Crystals as the enemy, along with ranting about other crap. I find it quite amusing and helpful towards the world building.
The name of the heroine in Ginga Force is Margaret. And I’m glad I’m not the only one who didn’t mind Raiden V’s story.