Your shmup collection

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
FatCobra

Your shmup collection

Post by FatCobra »

I want to see how obessive you are when it comes to collecting shmups. I really don't have that many, but I think it's a nice collection. Here's mine:

[Gameboy]
Solarstriker

[SNES]
Gradius III (One brand new cart, one used)

[PS1]
R-Type Delta (complete)
Einhander (Disc only)
The Raiden Project (Disc only)

[PS2]
Gradius V

So um, yeah, that's pretty much mine. I don't have room nor can afford a personal arcade, and importing's a little too expensive right now for me. But I do have a few nice gems, at least I think too.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

There's actually already a topic for this:

http://forum.shmups.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=149

A few pages back though...some to think of it, I hafta update my post in there.
system11

Post by system11 »

It's getting to the point where it would be valid to have some way on the site for people to maintain their lists. The topics never get read much, because

each
shmup
on
one
line

ends up creating pages and pages and pages of gamenames. Have you ever read them all? Even with best intentions, I've given up and lost interest partway down.
dboeren

Member Profile?

Post by dboeren »

This sounds like it ought to be part of the member profile. Under your profile you can edit your collection.

The system they have on boardgamegeek.com is really excellent for this. Each game has an entry, you can search by name. Under the entry are reviews, articles (strategy guides, etc...). Each game can also link to a list of members who own that game, so you can know who to ask questions of. You can tag a game as "for trade" or "wanted".

I know it would be a lot of work to set up, but the system works very well.
Neon

Post by Neon »

I have more respect for a guy that own one pcb, than 400 games per system.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

bloodflowers wrote:It's getting to the point where it would be valid to have some way on the site for people to maintain their lists. The topics never get read much, because

each
shmup
on
one
line

ends up creating pages and pages and pages of gamenames. Have you ever read them all? Even with best intentions, I've given up and lost interest partway down.
I thought a different use for that thread. I mean, reading ALL collections in one go is boring, no matter how long or short they are written. This basically because by now a lot of shmuppers have the same games more or less.

The recommended use of the thread: "ctrl + F" to find the game you're interested at moment, then pm the guy who has it, if you have any particular question.

And, about built-in-site lists... Whatever you do, try to avoid doing like IGN or 1UP "my collection" pages... Their database is so limited that I couldn't list a good 25% of my obscure, import stuff.
X - P - B
barmskii

Post by barmskii »

bloodflowers wrote:It's getting to the point where it would be valid to have some way on the site for people to maintain their lists. The topics never get read much, because

each
shmup
on
one
line

Just do what I did and bung your collection on a website....

http://www.shootershrine.co.uk
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Oh, I knew your site, barm!

So, that is your collection. I didn't understand that and I wondered why there were many "holes" in each system... I thought that was aimed to be a comprehensive "xenocide" list.

Cool design, btw!

(but, man, Makaimura among shmups? It's not even among shooters, it's a pure platformer action game, come on)
X - P - B
Blue Lander

Re: Member Profile?

Post by Blue Lander »

dboeren wrote:This sounds like it ought to be part of the member profile. Under your profile you can edit your collection.
I second that. Or maybe something like Digital Press has, where you could have pictures of your collection and "game room", too.