GyroGunner (Steam)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
FunktionJCB

GyroGunner (Steam)

Post by FunktionJCB »

GyroGunner, the new game by the developer behind GyroBlade, is out now on Steam:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2268960/GyroGunner/

The game is a multidirectional scrolling twin-stick shooter, with the player controlling a rotating helicopter equipped with lock-on missiles.

It looks pretty nice, for what is essentially a one-man (+composer) effort.

Here's a trailer for it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jFehFSRRm0
Steven

Re: GyroGunner (Steam)

Post by Steven »

GyroBlade is a very nice Tiger-Heli/Kyuukyoku Tiger tribute, so I expect this will be nice as well.

Seeing it makes me wonder how Desert Strike/Jungle Strike/Urban Strike/etc. would play as a twin stick game.
sunnshiner

Post by sunnshiner »

Steven wrote:GyroBlade is a very nice Tiger-Heli/Kyuukyoku Tiger tribute, so I expect this will be nice as well.

Seeing it makes me wonder how Desert Strike/Jungle Strike/Urban Strike/etc. would play as a twin stick game.
Ooh, yes please. That'd be cool.
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

Steven wrote:GyroBlade is a very nice Tiger-Heli/Kyuukyoku Tiger tribute, so I expect this will be nice as well.
I spent a few minutes with it, and from my early, short impression, this new game is indeed quite fun.

The helicopter controls well, with one stick to move, and the other to rotate the direction it shoots, plus left trigger to use a booster (speed up), right trigger to shoot, right button to fire missiles (with lock-on capabilities), and left button to drop flares to confuse enemy missiles.

The map I tried had a decent size, and you went around destroying enemy targets (both stationary targets like buildings, and land and air vehicles).

It appears to be a very competent, affordable, game.
For those who like this sub-genre, it's worth checking it out.
RobotParking

Post by RobotParking »

I liked GyroBlade well enough but something about GyroGunner has bored deep into my lizard brain. It quietly became a go-to game if I have like 10-15 minutes between meetings or something. Good stuff. I hope they get around to porting it to switch (as they did with GyroBlade).