Good Exclusive PS4 Shmups?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Terramax

Post by Terramax »

Heya,

Just bought a PS4 and was wondering if there are any decent physical edition shmups that are NOT available for the Nintendo Switch (which has been my main console for shmups for several years now)?
kid aphex

Re: Good Exclusive PS4 Shmups?

Post by kid aphex »

Ketsui: Deathtiny
Dangun Feveron (not my fave)
Battle Garegga
Steven

Post by Steven »

Ginga Force and Natsuki Chronicles are not on Switch, although they are on PC. Apparently some people hate these games and consider them to be trash that is even worse than Deep Blue on PC Engine or maybe even Action 52, but try them, I guess. Good luck getting the physical versions, though, especially since they have not actually shipped yet.

I'd say Mahou Daisakusen, but there isn't a physical version of it, so...
Terramax

Post by Terramax »

Thanks for that guys!

Wow, the price for these games are insane! Kinda ridiculous.

I have seen GUNDEMONIUMS also. Thoughts on that? Only 2000yen new, which is rare for a shmup.
cfx

Post by cfx »

Steven wrote:Ginga Force and Natsuki Chronicles are not on Switch, although they are on PC. Apparently some people hate these games and consider them to be trash that is even worse than Deep Blue on PC Engine or maybe even Action 52, but try them, I guess. Good luck getting the physical versions, though, especially since they have not actually shipped yet.
It is pretty infuriating, with it now being over two years since the preorders started.

Natsuki Chronicles did ship, last June or July. I wouldn't know personally since they didn't split orders so mine is still waiting for Ginga Force. However, I got an email just yesterday stating the Ginga Force discs are on their way from Sony, and that they should ship in March. I got the equivalent email for Natsuki Chronicles in May 2022 and it did start shipping after that, as far as I know. So I'm cautiously optimistic though won't fully believe it until I have my games in my possession.

That's the regular editions. For anyone that ordered the limiteds or the mega-set of both games, who knows when that will ever happen.
Steven

Post by Steven »

cfx wrote:
Steven wrote:Ginga Force and Natsuki Chronicles are not on Switch, although they are on PC. Apparently some people hate these games and consider them to be trash that is even worse than Deep Blue on PC Engine or maybe even Action 52, but try them, I guess. Good luck getting the physical versions, though, especially since they have not actually shipped yet.
It is pretty infuriating, with it now being over two years since the preorders started.

Natsuki Chronicles did ship, last June or July. I wouldn't know personally since they didn't split orders so mine is still waiting for Ginga Force. However, I got an email just yesterday stating the Ginga Force discs are on their way from Sony, and that they should ship in March. I got the equivalent email for Natsuki Chronicles in May 2022 and it did start shipping after that, as far as I know. So I'm cautiously optimistic though won't fully believe it until I have my games in my possession.

That's the regular editions. For anyone that ordered the limiteds or the mega-set of both games, who knows when that will ever happen.
Yeah, I got that huge box set thing with both. Then I got tired of waiting and did what I should have done and got them on PC instead and played them both there.
Terramax wrote: Wow, the price for these games are insane! Kinda ridiculous.
M2 ShotTriggers = always worth it, every single time, without hesitation. They are super expensive at 7480 yen or whatever it is, but it's totally worth it.
Terramax

Post by Terramax »

Steven wrote: M2 ShotTriggers = always worth it, every single time, without hesitation. They are super expensive at 7480 yen or whatever it is, but it's totally worth it.
I've seen a copy for 12,000yen. However, there only seems to be this MASSIVE boxed edition. No standard addition. Why the hell would they do that?
Steven

Post by Steven »

Terramax wrote:
Steven wrote: M2 ShotTriggers = always worth it, every single time, without hesitation. They are super expensive at 7480 yen or whatever it is, but it's totally worth it.
I've seen a copy for 12,000yen. However, there only seems to be this MASSIVE boxed edition. No standard addition. Why the hell would they do that?
What game? For M2 ShotTriggers, Aleste, ESP Ra.De. and Garegga all have big boxes, but Garegga is just a code in the box. I'm guessing it's Garegga since that doesn't have a regular version, just the LE. It's also the only way to get Garegga's stereo soundtrack as of right now, unfortunately. I had the chance to buy a sealed Garegga box for MSRP at BEEP in Akiba last year, but I foolishly passed on it and it's long gone now.
cfx

Post by cfx »

There is this available Garegga soundtrack, but I am assuming it is something different than what's in that box?
https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/SRIN-1103
Steven

Post by Steven »

I just remembered that there is actually a regular version of Garegga in Korea. Not sure if it's still in production or anything, though.
cfx wrote:There is this available Garegga soundtrack, but I am assuming it is something different than what's in that box?
Yeah, that's the mono soundtrack along with the arranged soundtracks on PS4/Saturn. I actually have this one! The stereo soundtrack is only in the box, unfortunately.
cfx

Post by cfx »

The Korean Garegga was only showing up at high prices on ebay and such, but recently Playasia has it again available for $50. It was in stock but now is just listed as available in a week:
https://www.play-asia.com/battle-garegg ... /13/70bsdd

I so wish it had an option for Japanese menus. :?
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

Steven wrote:I just remembered that there is actually a regular version of Garegga in Korea. Not sure if it's still in production or anything, though.
cfx wrote:There is this available Garegga soundtrack, but I am assuming it is something different than what's in that box?
Yeah, that's the mono soundtrack along with the arranged soundtracks on PS4/Saturn. I actually have this one! The stereo soundtrack is only in the box, unfortunately.
The first print of the Korean edition also came with the soundtrack on a bonus disc.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Sorcer Striker. Somebody has to get around to doing a physical of that already.
pulsemod

Post by pulsemod »

afaik ketsui prices are kinda crazy now. ended up getting the digital because I was late to the party. dummy me didn't even know about esprade having one before getting that digital too!

would recommend gundemoniums, though platine dispositif games are pretty atypical doujin fare. definitely worth the 2k yen, wish Play,Doujin! continued doing physical releases like this...

EDIT: the description on that play-asia garegga listing is pretty funny!!
Augemitbutter

Post by Augemitbutter »

Garegga also had a limited run version in the US. Probably not worth to buy it now though. Korea version is cheaper.
Sengoku Strider wrote:Sorcer Striker. Somebody has to get around to doing a physical of that already.
i'm looking every other month for an announcement. It's probably too niche for them to do a physical run. sad.
Untitled1

Post by Untitled1 »

battle garegga (LRG/Korea)
ketsui (Japan only)
dangun feveron (LRG only)
Natsuki Chronicle (not out, strictly limited)
Ginga force (not out, strictly limited)

R-Type Final 3, but that is PS5 only coming next month. Still, the best version to get probably.

physical wise there isn't much that switch doesn't have, but the M2 games are the heaviest of hitters. Some of the best shooters of all time.

The new DoDonpachi https://www.gematsu.com/2023/02/dodonpa ... 3-in-japan as well is coming, and looking like it's ps4 only right now.

Also, who could forget this one, which we were all robbed of physically on switch.

the game paradise (japan only).
BydoR9

Post by BydoR9 »

I picked up the LRG standard version of Dangun Feveron last year for about £65 delivered from https://www.coolshop.co.uk.

They're currently out of stock, but they've been in, then out of stock, on and off all last year and begining of this year. If you want it, then keep a watch on it.

They currently have Mushihimesama (Switch obviously) both version in stock for £50-£80ish.

They have dodgy reviews, but mine arrived fine (took a chance as the game is over £100 everywhere else).
Been playing R-Type since 1987 - Still can't get past level four!
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

The OP mentioned that the M2 games are pricey. I say what pretty much everyone said here. They are more than worth it. The M2 stuff take an already great game and improve on it. I personally rarely get AAA games anymore, so if I get a $70.00-$100.00 on occasion with releases like these, it's more than justified to me. I bought all the M2 physicals over the years and don't regret a single purchase.
prophetic

Post by prophetic »

Untitled1 wrote: Natsuki Chronicle (not out, strictly limited)
These are First Press Games. And I'm really mad they seem to be only slightly better than Dispatch Games (so far).
Steven

Post by Steven »

*Worst Press Games
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Steven wrote:*Worst Press Games
Not when stuff is in stock like the regular edition Blazing Rangers for FC. The quality of the release was nice. However, the NES versions took forever to come out and the Limited Edition versions for FC and NES are still yet to be available.
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

I had ordered Crimson Clover from First Press when it was made available, but I ended up canceling it when they pushed it back more than a year. I ended up sending them a few emails, but I did eventually get a refund, so I'll give them that. One thing I realized and won't do again is pay for a game in advance. Whether it's LRG or whoever else. I don't mind paying a bit more when the game becomes available either through a third party or a mom and pop.
cfx

Post by cfx »

As others wrote, First Press Games, not Strictly Limited Games.

And Natsuki Chronicles has been out since June 2022, for the standard edition. That's still way past when it was originally promised, but these companies are delaying things enough without making it worse than it actually is. Their latest email promises Ginga Force standard edition to ship in March. If it misses that again it won't be the first time, but this was the email asking for address corrections and they appear to only send those out when things are actually shipping soon.
Gamer707b wrote:One thing I realized and won't do again is pay for a game in advance.
For First Press Games, it appears you don't need to, as their games seem to all be available for some after they are first in stock. The above mentioned Natsuki Chronicles is still available now, eight months after it was first in stock.
Steven

Post by Steven »

BrianC wrote:
Not when stuff is in stock like the regular edition Blazing Rangers for FC. The quality of the release was nice. However, the NES versions took forever to come out and the Limited Edition versions for FC and NES are still yet to be available.
Not when I've been waiting for 2 years for them to ship my Ginga Force + Natsuki Chronicles. I'm sure it will get delayed again since that seems to be how they operate. I will consider rescinding their title of Worst Press Games if they actually manage to get it to me by the end of the year.
cfx

Post by cfx »

Steven wrote:
BrianC wrote:
Not when I've been waiting for 2 years for them to ship my Ginga Force + Natsuki Chronicles. I'm sure it will get delayed again since that seems to be how they operate. I will consider rescinding their title of Worst Press Games if they actually manage to get it to me by the end of the year.
Absolutely. In your situation I'd be livid.

I'm unhappy that I've waited two full years now for the standard editions, and that they didn't split orders so I could have had Natsuki Chronicles over 6 months ago. Yes I paid for a single shipment, but that was also under the promise that the games would come out at the same time. They royally screwed up and it would have been nice if they shipped what was available.

Do you remember what the original claimed release date for any of these were? Preorders went live February 2021 and I ordered shortly after they went up. I'm thinking the original date was July 2021, but maybe it wasn't quite that early. I am pretty sure there was a September 2021 date after one or more delays.

They can't even update their "release progress" page anymore, which still shows January 2023 for the standard Ginga Force and October 2022 for two other games. That page claims it was updated last on November 20, 2022, but I think that is wrong as I think the January date for Ginga Force wasn't put there until sometime in December.

They don't sent out many update emails, but it's just as well since they tend to be lies. They sent an email on 09/30/2022 saying that they could predict "with certainty" that Ginga Force would ship in November 2022. Obviously that did not happen.

All the LEs for these as well as that big set you ordered just say Q1 2023 on that page, and I'm sure that isn't happening. I do hope you get it this year somehow.
Steven

Post by Steven »

cfx wrote:Absolutely. In your situation I'd be livid.

I'm unhappy that I've waited two full years now for the standard editions, and that they didn't split orders so I could have had Natsuki Chronicles over 6 months ago. Yes I paid for a single shipment, but that was also under the promise that the games would come out at the same time. They royally screwed up and it would have been nice if they shipped what was available.

Do you remember what the original claimed release date for any of these were? Preorders went live February 2021 and I ordered shortly after they went up. I'm thinking the original date was July 2021, but maybe it wasn't quite that early. I am pretty sure there was a September 2021 date after one or more delays.

They can't even update their "release progress" page anymore, which still shows January 2023 for the standard Ginga Force and October 2022 for two other games. That page claims it was updated last on November 20, 2022, but I think that is wrong as I think the January date for Ginga Force wasn't put there until sometime in December.

They don't sent out many update emails, but it's just as well since they tend to be lies. They sent an email on 09/30/2022 saying that they could predict "with certainty" that Ginga Force would ship in November 2022. Obviously that did not happen.

All the LEs for these as well as that big set you ordered just say Q1 2023 on that page, and I'm sure that isn't happening. I do hope you get it this year somehow.
Eh, it doesn't really bother me that much since I bought them on PC in December of 2021 or so and played them both there and had a great time with both of them, especially Ginga Force, although I can easily see why someone could dislike both games. I really should stop buying stuff on consoles just to get physical versions of games.

I think these were originally scheduled to ship somewhere between June~August of 2021 before many delays, but I don't really remember. At this point I just want the damn soundtracks that come in the set lol.
cfx

Post by cfx »

Steven wrote:
cfx wrote:Absolutely. In your situation I'd be livid.

Eh, it doesn't really bother me that much since I bought them on PC in December of 2021 or so and played them both there and had a great time with both of them, especially Ginga Force, although I can easily see why someone could dislike both games. I really should stop buying stuff on consoles just to get physical versions of games.

I think these were originally scheduled to ship somewhere between June~August of 2021 before many delays, but I don't really remember. At this point I just want the damn soundtracks that come in the set lol.
If I had preordered what you did, I'd be pissed that it's two years later and there's no date still and they've had 150 Euros of your money all this time.

What I remember about the original dates which is consistent with what you think, is that the initial release date was June or July 2021, there was a delay to August and then to September, and from that point on I don't think they bothered with specific months any more. They sent out an email near the end of 2021 saying they would be delayed into 2022, and then I got one on May 20, 2022 with a picture of Natsuki Chronicles as they had the games then. There was some issue with the slipcase thing which caused another very slight delay. The email I recently got about Ginga Force is the same format, except this time they said they are expecting the games from Sony, they don't have them yet.

I thought it was odd that they haven't finished either soundtrack yet. I remember researching those back when I ordered the games; aren't they the exact same content as the Japanese CDs? Back at that time I could have still gotten the Japanese ones. Natsuki Chronicle is still available but the Japanese Ginga Force CD is out of print now.

I really am pretty patient, but I do expect a little more honesty from these companies, and an occasional update and not one that is just lies. It would be refreshing if they even just said they're delayed and they don't know when they're coming.

I knew from the beginning that June/July 2021 date was unlikely, as of the time of the February preorder start, Natsuki Chronicles wasn't even yet released digitally.

I wonder if there will ever be a physical for Eschatos? I can't imagine that either Qute or Rising Star Games would be too eager to work with First Press Games again after this. I guess I might as well buy the PS4 digital for Eschatos next time it's on sale.
Steven

Post by Steven »

There is actually a positive aspect to this: if I cancel now and get a refund, I'll actually make money due to the exchange rate changing between then and now.
cfx

Post by cfx »

:lol:
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

cfx wrote:
As others wrote, First Press Games, not Strictly Limited Games.

And Natsuki Chronicles has been out since June 2022, for the standard edition. That's still way past when it was originally promised, but these companies are delaying things enough without making it worse than it actually is. Their latest email promises Ginga Force standard edition to ship in March. If it misses that again it won't be the first time, but this was the email asking for address corrections and they appear to only send those out when things are actually shipping soon.
Gamer707b wrote:One thing I realized and won't do again is pay for a game in advance.
For First Press Games, it appears you don't need to, as their games seem to all be available for some after they are first in stock. The above mentioned Natsuki Chronicles is still available now, eight months after it was first in stock.
Good to know. Thanks.