Heli-Cats (PC/Steam)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
FunktionJCB

Heli-Cats (PC/Steam)

Post by FunktionJCB »

A page appeared on Steam for a new indie shmup that looks like it has some potential.

It's called Heli-Cats, and it has some interesting features, like "diving" mechanics that enable you do avoid enemy fire, local co-op, multiple endings, and more.
It may be worth following.

Here's the Steam page, that features a trailer plus some screenshots, and some explanations of the mechanics/power up systems:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2262880/HeliCats/
BulletMagnet

Re: Heli-Cats (PC/Steam)

Post by BulletMagnet »

If I read the description correctly, the main gimmick is essentially a side-scrolling riff on Ikaruga, though there also seems to be a pseudo-ammo system to keep track of. Sounds like it would take some getting used to (alongside the huge player sprites), but I'd try a demo if one appeared just to see if they could make it all work.
jehu

Post by jehu »

A hori K. Tiger with Fatal Fury "oversway" named after Cats, the feature film. Five-star premise.
Steven

Post by Steven »

No, it's definitely named after this CATS instead

Stevens

Post by Stevens »

As someone with an admitted half chub for helicopters in ma shmups I will be watching this one closely.
My lord, I have come for you.
Nahar

Post by Nahar »

This looks nice. Do we know if it's going to be released on 2023?
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

BulletMagnet wrote:I'd try a demo if one appeared just to see if they could make it all work.
Seems they've done just that, so time to put up or shut up on my end.

The only available play mode in the demo is a two-stage "practice" mode that gives you unlimited lives, which might be wise, because while I kind of like the ideas at work here I also find them hard to get used to, at least after a playthrough or two. The yellow/red color scheme isn't as distinctive as ikaruga's black/white (especially on the player craft, where only the cockpit changes color when you shift), and the large player sprite makes the hitbox hard to figure out; the "ammo" system is also kind of interesting, as you need to work out the most efficient way to build up your power by spending it on the most lucrative sets of targets, but the only indicator seems to be a counter in the corner of the screen, which makes it easy to run out without realizing it.

The developers are obviously genre fans, as there are several audiovisual references to other shmups (particularly Ketsui, not surprisingly), and have definitely put some work in here, but I'm tempted to say it would take more work than I'm willing to put in to accustom myself enough to appreciate it. Curious what others might think.
SPM

Post by SPM »

I just tried this and agree. It will definitely need some getting used to, but it was kinda fun. And unlike Ikaruga, you only damage enemies on your same plane/"polarity".

If you don't power up yourself enough and manage your resources, enemies can be bullet sponges. This I didn't like, but it's probably a consequence of not playing well.
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah