I need help identifying a vertical shmup - please & ty.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
gridmortis

I need help identifying a vertical shmup - please & ty.

Post by gridmortis »

I can't remember if it was on arcade, Xbox360 or Dreamcast, but one of the bossed was a huge gold ship, and it would alternate flipping over with the underside being silver. I remember fighting it in the clouds, and I'm pretty sure it was half-moon shaped. Please help cure my suffering! Ty >_<
sunnshiner

Re: I need help identifying a vertical shmup - please & ty.

Post by sunnshiner »

Raiden III's second boss? I think Raiden IV's second boss is in the clouds too but that's a multi-part boss rather than one ship that flips over.

edit- maybe Trizeal?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cn1BFDJv8YU

That was on all three platforms you mentioned.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

As general advice when asking for help ID'ing a game, I would recommend trying to remember and give more identifying details even if they seem trivial. For instance, was the screen wide (hori), was it thin (vert), what kind of shot types were there, what did the player ship look like, what colour were the player bullets, what kind of bombs were there, etc. Strania's pretty distinctive and most of the forum goers would recognize it pretty quickly if you asked for a shmup with mechs that had lightsabers and could swap the weapons in their hands with a button press, the interface was green, it had no bombs, etc.

Fortunately the boss description you gave is distinctive enough that, after jogging my memory a bit and looking at videos, I'm 99% sure it's Strania's stage 1 boss (of the "normal" game, not side vower) you've described: https://youtu.be/DNaBTyqJ7c4?t=120
sunnshiner

Post by sunnshiner »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:As general advice when asking for help ID'ing a game, I would recommend trying to remember and give more identifying details even if they seem trivial. For instance, was the screen wide (hori), was it thin (vert), what kind of shot types were there, what did the player ship look like, what colour were the player bullets, what kind of bombs were there, etc. Strania's pretty distinctive and most of the forum goers would recognize it pretty quickly if you asked for a shmup with mechs that had lightsabers and could swap the weapons in their hands with a button press, the interface was green, it had no bombs, etc.

Fortunately the boss description you gave is distinctive enough that, after jogging my memory a bit and looking at videos, I'm 99% sure it's Strania's stage 1 boss (of the "normal" game, not side vower) you've described: https://youtu.be/DNaBTyqJ7c4?t=120
Ah, yeah, good shout with Strania.
gridmortis

Post by gridmortis »

YES - STRANIA!!! Boy my wires were crossed! Thank you, BareKnuckleRoo - you saved me from going (more) insane. I love Strania..
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Happy to help. Strania's a very cool vertizontal game.
Starfighter

Post by Starfighter »

I'm very impressed that the correct game came up right away! I guess I know who I'll be asking the next time I need to remember a forgotten shmup! ;)
cfx

Post by cfx »

I wish Strania was on PS4 so I could play it. :(