Interesting plot change between JP and EN Whip Rush

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Skyknight

Interesting plot change between JP and EN Whip Rush

Post by Skyknight »

Not the instruction manuals (over at https://segaretro.org/Whip_Rush ); the English manual just condenses things a bit, and changing where the repurposed prospector drones (i.e. the heavy warship threatening Earth) appear from Mars to Pluto isn't much to speak of. The Japanese manual does note that Earth's agencies decided not to invest so much into figuring out why the drones were lost at Voltegas when gaining access to the other solar systems they did find ready resources at before disappearing was a higher priority. Humanity had even largely forgotten about the lost drones when their reforged form popped up.

I'm speaking of the ending text. In the English version, the main villain is shown to be a kind of artificial god that Voltegas's native sapients created to manage their lives. It was so hungry for sacrifices, however, that its creators were close to extinction when the drones appeared. They immediately seized on the opportunity to subjugate a whole solar system's worth of sacrifices. In the Japanese original? The original denizens of Voltegas are completely extinct. The main villain isn't an artificial god, but was originally a powerful organic superweapon. And of course, its creators erred while maintaining its containment. That led not only to them being annihilated, but the bio-weapon subsuming the whole of Voltegas itself, then becoming dormant until the prospector drones' arrival made it aware of Earth's solar system--something else to wreck and devour. That definitely explains why Voltegas itself blows up--killing the living weapon's nerve center probably set up a cascade failure in what was left of Voltegas's machinery.

I do wonder why Renovation changed the nature of Voltegas's genius loci. Was the idea of something that could corrupt a whole planet held too depressing or such? (Note that this did not stop Taito with Con-Human in Rayforce.)