The Knight Witch

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
dai jou bu

Re: The Knight Witch

Post by dai jou bu »

Technicolor wrote:It goes without saying that this forum has a bad habit of scaring people away, but something I think gets addressed less is that most of the people here are very, very rusty at being outsiders to the genre. A balancing act between those two perspectives, both informed and thoughtful with regards to creating games together, could produce wonders. I guess that mostly comes down to developing the shmup community rather than moving forward with any one game development project.
This is an interesting conversation for sure, but getting back on topic, have you played the Knight Witch? I know I tried to convey how it's like playing the game in my posts, but really the best way to understand what I'm saying is to play it. I think BulletMagnet said there's a demo available on Steam.

Just make sure you play the game on a computer with a dedicated GPU. The game is horribly unoptimized for PC and is using the extra GPU overhead of the Playstation and Xbox platforms to brute force their performance through; The Knight Witch would be one of the examples Digital Foundry would list as a poor example in their recent manifesto for PC versions since it doesn't even have the option to change graphical settings so it doesn't chug on less powerful systems other than adjusting the resolution, which is one aspect I can legitimately knock the game on. That, and the 12GB file size for the full install. Yikes.
Technicolor

Post by Technicolor »

I haven’t played it, which is why I’m trying to speak in broader terms here. I mentioned in the mobile shmups thread that I’m currently working through some motivation issues, so where I am right now is I don’t want to spend money on a game I can’t guarantee I’ll play, but it’s definitely something I’ll keep in mind for the future. There’s a good chance I’ll enjoy it more than a lot of other people here would.
dai jou bu

Post by dai jou bu »

Understood. I respect your decision.

The only other example I can think of that’s similar in concept to the knight witch is the guardian legend:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ImwZBSo8Rvo

You should be able to emulate that game since it was an NES release. I never finished the game myself though since I was never able to figure out how to overcome the damage scaling shenanigans that the later bosses pulled off when I was a kid.
Technicolor

Post by Technicolor »

…Wait a minute, I remember seeing that game on the CRT Pixels Twitter! Consider my interest piqued.
dai jou bu

Post by dai jou bu »

Huh, Retail versions popping up in two months:

https://twitter.com/SuperMegaTeam/statu ... 2562120709

Also available on other platforms. Art style for the main character looks better on the packaging, but inconsistent with the actual sprite.

Really wished she had those proportions though.