Yuzo Koshiro is making new MD shmup.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Aceskies

Re: Yuzo Koshiro is making new MD shmup.

Post by Aceskies »

I want to give my money asap for this
jd213

Post by jd213 »

I just hope they're not going with Columbus Circle for the physical cart, pretty sure all their stuff is garbage
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

I think that's the best way to do it with regards to the memory size. It still works on a Genesis so it's legit.

And although it's outside the scope of this project I also think it's okay to make the games how you remember them, not necessarily exactly as they were. Sonic Mania is a good example of something not possible on a Genesis, but it feels like just a tiny evolution past what could have been. If you could have had the improvement from Sonic 1 to Sonic 2 to Sonic 3&K and then to a theoretical next game, that game would have looked like Sonic Mania.
Steven

Post by Steven »

That's totally the sound effect from the After Burner II title screen when the missile from the MiG-21-looking thing blows up the I and it becomes a II.
PerishedFraud ឵឵

Post by PerishedFraud ឵឵ »

edit: image removed ;/
Last edited by PerishedFraud ឵឵ on Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fun Over Victory| Shitpost Central | Shmusic Archive | Old Account | tuckfouhou@gmail.com
Steven

Post by Steven »

^^^ lol yeah, that too.

Like WTF is Dracula III's Dracula doing here? Not that I am complaining since I really like that game.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Looks good now.
Necronom

Post by Necronom »

Looks nice indeed. Getting Pulstar vibes here. Promising 8)
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Necronom wrote:Looks nice indeed. Getting Pulstar vibes here. Promising 8)
Sounds nicer! They're killing it with those sounds effects.
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

Can’t wait to hear the soundtrack.

Side note, if any of you use Twitter, I would suggest following Yuzo… he definitely posts/comments on some interesting, retro-related stuff.
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

There's a new video, with sound:

https://twitter.com/yuzokoshiro/status/ ... 5021432833

It appears to be progressing nicely.
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

He mentions development may be around 10% and not to expect a full trailer this year.

Certainly looks and sounds great so far. Will be looking forward to seeing what Ancient offers up in their first shooter.
What would really put it over the top is if they tied it into the Car Battler Joe/VATLVA universe somehow ! :o
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

I appreciate his commitment to quality.

Seemed like a good song and he said he'd toss it away as it was not up to his standard.
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

Game is officially titled Earthion
New video looks amazing.
It just keeps looking better and better…

https://twitter.com/yuzokoshiro/status/ ... o6B0laiNjA
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Any chance of releasing this baby on modern consoles?
MasterJJ

Post by MasterJJ »

xxx1993 wrote:Any chance of releasing this baby on modern consoles?
Yuzo Koshiro said…

“I also have porting releases for modern consoles on my wish list, but our main focus is to firmly develop the original MD/Gen version first.“

Game looks stunning, btw.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Good, I can’t wait.
gum_drops

Post by gum_drops »

That's a really badass intro track

https://twitter.com/i/status/1704124416014336067
blazinglazers69

Post by blazinglazers69 »

gum_drops wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:00 am That's a really badass intro track

https://twitter.com/i/status/1704124416014336067
Looks fucking amazing. Like Thunder Force IV tier quality. Reminds me of GG Aleste 3. Veterans coming back and making awesome shmups for retro consoles. Absolutely love it.

I just hope there's an easy way to play on PC. My one gripe about GG Aleste 3 was that it was annoying to get a digital copy. I'd gladly spent like 30 bucks for a ROM dump of this that I could play in Retroarch.
Sengoku Strider

Yuzo Koshiro
@yuzokoshiro
·
Sep 19
We have many inquiries about Earthion coming in at the moment. Thank you for your interest in this brand-new shmup for Mega Drive/Genesis. More details, including the release date, will be available after the 23rd at TGS. We appreciate your patience.

So, probably within the next 7-12 hours.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Looks fucking amazing. Like Thunder Force IV tier quality
I'll have to wait for the playing to see if this holds true. But the bassline in that opening track really does rock. It's the old Koshiro expertise applied in a whole different direction. It sounds "gamey" but much higher quality than competing devs generally produced.

Whyyyy couldn't the majority of devs back then have actually had a clue how to use this sound chip?

The opening "swoop" animation of the ship coming in looks great too. Wonder why nothing like this was done in older games? Unless that's all prerendered frames and it would have been a ROM limitation back then.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

I like the highly stylized font used to spell out the Earthion game title. Makes me wonder what the final megabit cart size will be once it's finally finished.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
SuperDeadite

Post by SuperDeadite »

What's interesting is that the man himself has clearly stated he made the music on YM2608 (OPNA). OPNA FM and the MegaDrive's OPN2 FM parts are basically the same. So I'm curious if he is sticking to pure FM for this.

Converting the OPNA's SSG channels to MD's SN7 PSG isn't too hard, but OPNA has dedicated drums and way better ADPCM abilities than the MD.
Sengoku Strider

bigbadboaz wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:00 pmWhyyyy couldn't the majority of devs back then have actually had a clue how to use this sound chip?
For the same reason the majority of electronic musicians everywhere don't know how to do much with FM, it's complicated in a way that most other forms of synthesis aren't. And it's only ever a couple of cents of a modulation value away from turning into a screech fest.
minion

Post by minion »

https://youtu.be/nXD8T990g18?t=12659 is the TGS trailer

Couple things he mentions during the event:
  • Wants people to play it on a CRT, even tho this trailer is straight RGB capture
  • No one hit death, you have a health gauge. Its this way so not just hardcore fans can enjoy it
  • US release through Limited Run Games, JP release through Super Deluxe
  • Hopes to have it out next Summer, but definitely 2024
  • He and the host cracked some jokes about this being a Mega Drive game, it should have been hosted at the Sega booth not the Happinet booth :lol:
  • Has nothing to announce about playing it on modern platforms during TGS but basically said it will release at some point
Bar81

Post by Bar81 »

Disappointed this isn't being published by Columbus Circle in Japan as they've done a good job with MD releases. Anyway, for anyone wondering wth Super Deluxe is:

Superdeluxe Games is a physical video game distributor headquartered in Japan, and a joint effort between Limited Run Games and 8-4.

I'm not aware of any releases from Super Deluxe but tbh I hadn't heard of them until today. Edit2: apparently they've been in business for a while:
https://superdeluxegames.jp/

Edit: Here's the flyer:

https://app.box.com/s/um8n78hacz9igmlm35bx2y55bh3bslcg
https://app.box.com/s/k6cwgw52ycf6egn3oirvv9e6p6va38ig
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

Superdeluxe does more traditional distribution in Japan - I guess LRG adapting to the local expectations? Their edition of DFK for Switch is up on Amazon Japan right now with regular preorder and distribution times rather than LRG's super far in advance preorder/prepay schedules. So I guess if you don't feel like playing the LRG wait time lottery, you can just wait for it to go to Superdeluxe.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Ms. Tea wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:59 pm Superdeluxe does more traditional distribution in Japan - I guess LRG adapting to the local expectations? Their edition of DFK for Switch is up on Amazon Japan right now with regular preorder and distribution times rather than LRG's super far in advance preorder/prepay schedules. So I guess if you don't feel like playing the LRG wait time lottery, you can just wait for it to go to Superdeluxe.
Except that Superdeluxe blocks companies from selling their games to the US.
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

Really? I didn't realize that. I'm in Canada, and I could preorder their version of DFK from Amazon Japan if I wanted. Do they only block sales to the US?