Shmups on IIRCADE

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Redfox

Shmups on IIRCADE

Post by Redfox »

I know you guys don't give a crap about home based arcade units but I noticed this week that IIRCADE scored the license for R-Type Leo. It'll be releasing soon on there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNCwOfwX9nc

I do own one for my game room (got one for super cheap for shit and giggles to go with my pinball machine collection) while it's not that great of a unit but it's convenient to just play games casually or for non pinball people that visit that just want to play random vid games.

Anyway I thought it was neat that LEO is officially releasing SOMEWHERE heh!

They also have other IREM shooters, the entire Toaplan library (Dogyuun is there :D - reason I got the unit in the first place), VISCO shooters, a few Sega shooters and that cave knockoff steam game that got flack for stolen sprites a few years ago...

They keep adding new games all the time, it's not bad if you can get one cheap... I only wish I could play pacman on it :(
SG-Glendon

Re: Shmups on IIRCADE

Post by SG-Glendon »

Cool stuff. "I know you guys don't give a crap"... I'm interested. Well, I don't have the space or budget for one of those, but I can dream right?
I like making stuff. Music, graphics, and now trying games... Wish me luck.
Redfox

Re: Shmups on IIRCADE

Post by Redfox »

SG-Glendon wrote:Cool stuff. "I know you guys don't give a crap"... I'm interested. Well, I don't have the space or budget for one of those, but I can dream right?
Cool! It's not THAT expensive if you get on sale. I got an original unit for 399 shipped to my door. They do those sales a few times a year (I wouldn't pay full price for one, too expensive then). But for 400 It's definitely worth it. The size is great 20 inches depth and width and 61 inches high with riser. Comes with Sanwa sticks and buttons, and it's got quality wood, artwork and speakers and a good 19 inch standard (not wide) dimension screen.

Not a great unit for Capom/Konami/Namco that's it's biggest flaw. But it's great for us. Low lag display Has Irem shmups, has the ENTIRE TOAPLAN library (sans majong/performan/emma Daioh) has P47 Aces, Visco shmups others..and the great thing is it's all completely licensed. You buy the games individaully and you can feel good knowing you're not pirating, the rights holders are getting paid. Games feel great. Honest to God, the response time of games feel great. It may not be as perfect as an M2 release but comparing apples to apples (I have cybattler on it, it feels exactly as the ACA release of that game does so it's pretty darn great). All the games have leaderboards and most games have online play Including Dogyuun :)

Sadly for our friends outside US/Canada/Korea it's not licensed for purchase. Those in Japan are out of luck.