Edia/Telenet Shooter Revival project?!?!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
hamfighterx

Edia/Telenet Shooter Revival project?!?!

Post by hamfighterx »

Edia has launched a new website https://www.telenet-revive.com/ featuring Gaiares art and a message "New project begins. November 22, 2022". Also a new Twitter account (LOL great timing) https://twitter.com/telenetrevive, with the first post saying "Welcome to shooters heaven"

Edia acquired Telenet Japan's IP a couple years ago, and so far they've released two Valis compilations. Curious to see whether this is another compilation, series of compilations, single game downloads, or what... but it seems they're definitely focused on shooters.

I just fired up the PCE this week and played some Avenger, I've always had a bit of a soft spot for those Genesis/PCE Telenet/Renovation shooters. Glad to hear this news!
xxx1993

Re: Edia/Telenet Shooter Revival project?!?!

Post by xxx1993 »

Probably might do to Gaiares like they did with Gley Lancer.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

If they were just going to do a single game (Gaiares), I don't think they'd create this more general sounding name. Sounds to me like it's more likely going to be:
(1) a series of rereleases (which might start wtih Gaiares) like we see with Arcade Archives, the Live Wire Cave ports, Psikyo ports, etc. or
(2) a compilation (or series of compilations) of shooters, kind of like what they've done with their two recent Valis collections.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

And it is indeed a compilation similar to Edia's previous Valis compilations. Includes Granada, Avenger, Gaiares, and Psychic Storm.

Gematsu article seems to indicate this is the first of multiple compilations, saying: "Telenet Shooting Collection is the first project in Edia’s new “Telenet Japan Revival Project” initiative. Future collections have yet to be announced."
https://www.gematsu.com/2022/11/telenet ... for-switch
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Makes me wish they could add more such as Final Zone II or Last Alert...
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Thinking about what other Telenet games could show up in future collections...

This shooter compilation will be the 4th Telenet compliation that Edia has put out, after two separate Valis collections and one for Cosmic Fantasy. They don't seem to want to put a lot of games on any one collection: each of the Valis collections have 3 games, Cosmic Fantasy has two, and this first shooter comp has 4.

Looking at what's left, I could see some possibilities:

1) A run and gun collection with both Final Zone games and Last Alert (right in line with xxx1993's suggestions, seems quite plausible to me)

2) A second shooter volume with some of the remaining games: Arrow Flash, Elemental Master, Sol Feace/Deace, ???
What other Telenet/Renovation/Wolf Team shooters am I missing? I'm sure I'm probably overlooking some. Renovation published Whip Rush in the US, though that was developed by Vic Tokai and maybe not part of Telenet's IP catalog.

3) A package of the El Viento, Earnest Evans, Anett Futatabi trilogy. I'd be into this one, kinda have a soft spot for those janky Renovation side scrollers.

4) A second Cosmic Fantasy collection (likely Japanese language only)

5) Exile 1&2, which would be pretty cool if it was available in English (probably unlikely) to atone for Working Designs butchering the games for their US releases (they ruined Exile 2 by mucking around with enemy stats and totally breaking the game due to incredibly high difficulty)
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

xxx1993 wrote:Last Alert
The Citizen Kane of atrocious voice acting!

https://youtu.be/MUMjGv2RUF4

(#5 will shock you)
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Sengoku Strider wrote:
xxx1993 wrote:Last Alert
The Citizen Kane of atrocious voice acting!

https://youtu.be/MUMjGv2RUF4

(#5 will shock you)
That voice sounds like Kermit the Frog. XD
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

hamfighterx wrote:And it is indeed a compilation similar to Edia's previous Valis compilations. Includes Granada, Avenger, Gaiares, and Psychic Storm.
Ugh, Avenger. It was one of the cheaper PCE CD games back when I had real hardware/software (20 years ago), but it was apparently that way for a reason! Not a good game. That's going to be the ugly duckling in this compo.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

OmegaFlareX wrote:
hamfighterx wrote:And it is indeed a compilation similar to Edia's previous Valis compilations. Includes Granada, Avenger, Gaiares, and Psychic Storm.
Ugh, Avenger. It was one of the cheaper PCE CD games back when I had real hardware/software (20 years ago), but it was apparently that way for a reason! Not a good game. That's going to be the ugly duckling in this compo.
I don't think it's a fantastic game, average at best, but IMO Avenger isn't totally without merit. I like the diagonal shooting aspect, just as I liked in in later helicopter-based verts Zero Gunner and Under Defeat. And that was a lot more novel back when Avenger released - Gyrodine already existed, but otherwise this was a pretty unique mechanic and does enough to make Avenger more interesting than a lot of the other mid-tier shooters of the era.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

June 8 -- 7,480 yen
  • Granada (November 1990, Genesis)
  • Avenger (1990, PC Engine)
  • Gaiares (1990, Genesis)
  • Psychic Storm (1992, PC Engine)
(no word on SE with Gaiares T-Shirt)
Strikers1945guy

Post by Strikers1945guy »

Well… Gaiares and Granada… gunna wait for the price drop
There is also a collectors edition with a model ship
Mister Midnight wrote:btw, cant trust them Koreans; remember Pearl Harbor
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

I wonder if they'll split the games out? I have Gaiares and had Granada, so really Avenger & Psychic Storm are the items of interest here. But not that much interest.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Sengoku Strider wrote:I wonder if they'll split the games out? I have Gaiares and had Granada, so really Avenger & Psychic Storm are the items of interest here. But not that much interest.
Edia has not yet done individual releases of games on any of their other recent compilations (two Valis collections, Cosmic Fantasy collection), so I wouldn't really expect it here. What I do expect is that this will probably get a Limited Run Games release for $40 or so - the same as LRG did for both of the Edia Valis collections.

I'll pick this one up, despite the somewhat meager game count. Maybe I can be the only person in the world on a soapbox about how they should have also included Sol-Feace (hush, I like it)!
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Jonpachi wrote:https://www.play-asia.com/telenet-shoot ... /13/70fyrr

Overpriced collection alert
That's the one that includes the ship model.
Samuray

Post by Samuray »

Do we have any idea as to the size or quality of the model in the CE?
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Sengoku Strider wrote:I wonder if they'll split the games out? I have Gaiares and had Granada, so really Avenger & Psychic Storm are the items of interest here. But not that much interest.
I was mistaken earlier, Edia actually has sold collection games separately (at least on the Switch eshop). The Valis games from those two collections got stand-alone downloadable versions for $15 per game. So maybe these shooters will too!