R-Type Final 3 Evolved announced for PS5.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
xxx1993

Re: R-Type Final 3 Evolved announced for PS5.

Post by xxx1993 »

What about using the instrumental version of "Monochrome" for the final mission? I thought it was a nice touch, especially after the "doom and gloom" feel of Delta's final stage and the silent but ominous feel of Final's last stages, or the last ones in Final 2.
Last edited by xxx1993 on Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BIL

Post by BIL »

I always found Delta's final stage quite elegiac, with all the Metal Black-esque ancestral memory and invocations of human life cycles. It made me think "Hmm! Maybe teh Bydo isn't just ravenous sentient alien cancer, but something closer to home and perhaps more classically tragic! But it's far too late for now Image" :o Which turned out to be the direction they went in with Final, which included some absolutely cracking existential biohorror.

"The humans of the 26th century abandoned a horrible weapon in space.

This mistake returned to haunt us in the form of the Bydo Empire."
- from Recruiting Manual introduction

Man always create he own destruction (`w´メ)
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Yeah, but at least Metal Black's music didn't sound so bleak and oppressive like with R-Type Delta... Seriously, if the years 2005, 2013, 2016, and 2020 had a theme song, the final stage theme in R-Type Delta would be it.
PerishedFraud ឵឵

Post by PerishedFraud ឵឵ »

Surprisingly neat post coming from you. :lol: 8)

Delta's soundtrack adds a lot. I'll always remember the missile corridor and the tense shift in the music as the thing starts coming in.
Fun Over Victory| Shitpost Central | Shmusic Archive | Old Account | tuckfouhou@gmail.com
BIL

Post by BIL »

PerishedFraud ឵឵ wrote:Delta's soundtrack adds a lot. I'll always remember the missile corridor and the tense shift in the music as the thing starts coming in.
Among the most filmic VGM ever. Image Inexorably rising horror vs inextinguishably burning resolve, ending the only way it can: violent collapse, and a dick-swinging guitar solo. ~tan/tan/tan/tan~

Respect to #1 flying dick BYDO MEAT BLIMP Image

Get that yellow shit checked out m8 :shock:
xxx1993 wrote:Yeah, but at least Metal Black's music didn't sound so bleak and oppressive like with R-Type Delta... Seriously, if the years 2005, 2013, 2016, and 2020 had a theme song, the final stage theme in R-Type Delta would be it.
That's an oddly specific series of years >_> Some of em were very good for me, but maybe that's why they were bad for others :shock:

I always likened Delta's final stage BGM "Life" (and much of Final's OST) to elegy; lots of choral voices and reverbs, a remembrance. Life presupposes death; in a way, the grave is as peaceful as it gets. Goes for the imagery, too; look at Final's title screen with the abandoned Force at rest in the ocean, like humanity's beginning and end - the sea from whence they came, and their likely destroyer - as one. (and because time travel is a thing in this universe, it's not necessarily The End, just a very likely one - "Struggle is the spark of life, no?")

Delta's really bleak moment occurs after the final stage imo, depending on your ship choice. Made me instantly replay the game wondering if I'd screwed up somehow (mark of a good BAD END :cool: Image)

Final's Stage F-A / "Bydo Is..." is morbid for sure; morose, sludgy, doomy, even the drums not percussing so much as clattering listlessly along.
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

Just dropping in to say:
https://youtu.be/Jpzb6t0p81Q
The most sinister song in the franchise.
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

Final's Stage F-A / "Bydo Is..." is morbid for sure; morose, sludgy, doomy, even the drums not percussing so much as clattering listlessly along.
Whoops; yes!
BIL

Post by BIL »

:mrgreen:

I'd cite Delta's st5/Evil, as well, which uses similar tricks; an industrial soundscape every bit as inexplicably unsettling as the stage's nightmare of glistening wet flesh and teeth. Aside from the occasional revvings of synth guitar to complement the trail of carnage you're burning through the foul dark, it wouldn't be at all out of place in the same year's Silent Hill.
Last edited by BIL on Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Well, it's because those years were hell for me. In fact, 2020 was pretty much hell for the entire world.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

I love the R-Type Delta soundtrack.

The opening theme is an all time banger.

Cinematic and moody, but still very video gamey. It's a great soundtrack.
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

So this is only ps5? No trusty ps4 release?
Steven

Post by Steven »

PS5 only according to the official website. I don't see anything here so far that can't be done on the other systems. Switch would get a major graphics downgrade just like Final 2, but it could be done. Trust me, you are absolutely not missing much, but I've only seen the first 4 stages. Maybe the final 3 stages are better. I hope they are. I also hope they left Monochrome as the ED for the Final 2 main course and whatever the new ED is called is just the ending for the Final 3 Evolved course.

I have not played Final 2 since the first few weeks after launch, so I'm super terrible at the game again, and I forgot that it has no extends at all. No way in hell can I no miss the Final 2 main course on Bydo again right now lol. Nice to revisit this game, though; I always have really liked it for some reason. I am kind of busy with work right now, though, so I probably won't get to seriously put some time into it until Sunday~Monday or so.
Samildanach wrote:Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I haven't got a PS5 yet but still may pull the trigger on this since it would be nice to have all three Final games (kind of) in physical form, along with the soundtrack that seems to ship with it (in the UK anyway). Mainly though because I am a hopeless fan of the big four old hori shmup series (Gradius, R-Type, Darius and Thunder Force), any new releases in them get my money!
You're lucky that you get the OST; Japan gets nothing extra, just the game itself. No limited edition versions or anything like that, unlike last time. I have the special crowdfunding version of the OST from Final 2, fortunately, but I'll have to go get the OST for this separately somehow if I decide to get it.
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

Yeah I would get it if it was also on 4. Well there’s so much stuff to play now anyway…
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

Steven wrote:
Samildanach wrote:Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I haven't got a PS5 yet but still may pull the trigger on this since it would be nice to have all three Final games (kind of) in physical form, along with the soundtrack that seems to ship with it (in the UK anyway). Mainly though because I am a hopeless fan of the big four old hori shmup series (Gradius, R-Type, Darius and Thunder Force), any new releases in them get my money!
You're lucky that you get the OST; Japan gets nothing extra, just the game itself. No limited edition versions or anything like that, unlike last time. I have the special crowdfunding version of the OST from Final 2, fortunately, but I'll have to go get the OST for this separately somehow if I decide to get it.
It's up on Spotify if you wanted to listen without buying the disc.

The kickstarter soundtrack that you (and I) have included all the tracks from the base game, whereas the one sold in the US and PAL territories with the retail release had a limited selection only...so you can feel better about that at least!
BIL

Post by BIL »

To Far Away Times wrote:Cinematic and moody, but still very video gamey. It's a great soundtrack.
Yep! This is at the heart of a lot of great VGM. Zuntata in particular were masters of imparting filmic intensity into micro loops. Trace Parlent In Blue from Night Striker packs more intensity and dynamism into its couple minutes than many entire soundtracks manage.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Wait WTF since when is there a stage 5.1 in the R-Type Final 2 main course?
Samildanach wrote:It's up on Spotify if you wanted to listen without buying the disc.

The kickstarter soundtrack that you (and I) have included all the tracks from the base game, whereas the one sold in the US and PAL territories with the retail release had a limited selection only...so you can feel better about that at least!
I want the CD for lossless audio. I also don't like that streaming stuff due to subscription fees, so...
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Spoiler
So wait, how can the Load at the End of Dimension be the final final final Bydo? I thought the Bydo were completely wiped out at the end of Final, and Final 2 and 3 are just documentaries?
Steven

Post by Steven »

R-Type Final 2/3/Evolved, aside from being a mess in terms of its various releases, is also basically R-Type Final Gaiden. It's actually explained in a little thingy in the game itself. I don't remember seeing that in regular Final 2, but it's here in Final 3 Evolved.

Okay, here it is: https://imgur.com/a/LbQ8MAx
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Which is odd because I always thought Final 2/3 Evolved was an actual sequel.
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

The idea that the whole of Final 2 & 3 is just a set of war records you are compiling AFTER the final defeat of the Bydo in the original Final does not make for a compelling background to ones playthroughs. Give me the generic "All our conventional weapons against the alien invader have failed, and you pilot the only weapon that can save us" any day.

In fact, since I (and I bet many others) failed to beat the ridiculously hard F-C in Final (as in beat that one long stage without dying once after getting through the previous 6 levels), then I didn't actually beat the Bydo after all. So in my head canon Final 2/3 is the next war against the Bydo and I am the last hope yadda yadda.
PerishedFraud ឵឵

Where's X-mul2iply
Fun Over Victory| Shitpost Central | Shmusic Archive | Old Account | tuckfouhou@gmail.com
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Samildanach wrote:The idea that the whole of Final 2 & 3 is just a set of war records you are compiling AFTER the final defeat of the Bydo in the original Final does not make for a compelling background to ones playthroughs. Give me the generic "All our conventional weapons against the alien invader have failed, and you pilot the only weapon that can save us" any day.

In fact, since I (and I bet many others) failed to beat the ridiculously hard F-C in Final (as in beat that one long stage without dying once after getting through the previous 6 levels), then I didn't actually beat the Bydo after all. So in my head canon Final 2/3 is the next war against the Bydo and I am the last hope yadda yadda.
I can only do F-C through invincibility or save states on an emulator. Besides, I feel like that stage isn't worth it since there's no final boss at the end. Besides, I can't tell if that ending, or the ending of F-A or F-B are the canonical ending.
MJR

Post by MJR »

Huh, I remember F-C from Final. I did beat it back in the day. Ridiculously hard, long, boring, unimaginative and uneventful. Almost an antithesis to the original R-type coin op, where levels were short, exciting, eventful and imaginative.
PerishedFraud ឵឵

That's probably because it was based on this
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

MJR wrote:Huh, I remember F-C from Final. I did beat it back in the day. Ridiculously hard, long, boring, unimaginative and uneventful. Almost an antithesis to the original R-type coin op, where levels were short, exciting, eventful and imaginative.
Oh it was the worst level of Final, for sure. I remember beating it using using the score attack where you could keep trying. If you managed to one-life it like you need to when playing it as part of the main game with the threat of having to start from stage 1 with a single mistake, then you have some serious skills and patience!
Lander

Post by Lander »

PerishedFraud ឵឵ wrote:That's probably because it was based on this
How about that. All that effort spent stage-grinding a non penalty run in IF arcade, and I was robbing myself of this sweet BGM.
Shame it's nigh-unsearchable, an arrange / remix version would be just the ticket
PerishedFraud ឵឵

Lander wrote:an arrange / remix version would be just the ticket
You're in luck.

It's got Final Mission too.
Lander

Post by Lander »

PerishedFraud ឵឵ wrote:You're in luck.

It's got Final Mission too.
Radical, cheers! I had a brief skim of the IF2 soundtrack in my unsuccessful hunt, but bounced as soon as it started blaring out japanese radio drama :lol:

Very familiar bass sound - I wonder if that's the same synth that got sampled, sold, and ultimately pirated into ubiquity as part of the Amiga soundscape :)
Steven

Post by Steven »

Just two days ago I realized that you actually get more (or less) materials depending on what your pilot is wearing. I wish I'd noticed that 2 years ago when the game launched, as that might have made unlocking ships less painful.

Out of all of the pilot clothes I have so far it seems that the flight suit and helmet that came with the Mariko give the highest boost for everything except for the R credits or whatever they are called, in which case it actually decreases the amount earned, but that's fine.

Without checking the museum, I think I am at either 92 or 93 of the regular ships unlocked, plus a few of the extra ships like Mr. Heli and the R-9Sk3 Seraphim. The many free material packs that came with the DLC ships definitely helped.

Speaking of the R-9Sk3, is this in the regular non-Evolved version of the game? Pretty sure it wasn't there the last time I played it, but it's pretty cool. The ridiculous and massive fire effects do a really good job of obscuring enemy shots and pretty much everything else, though, so you have to be very careful about that.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Where exactly does the final mission of R-Type Final 3 Evolved take place in the R-Type timeline, anyway? As well as the final missions of R-Type Final 2?