R-Type Final 3 Evolved announced for PS5.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
qmish

Re: R-Type Final 3 Evolved announced for PS5.

Post by qmish »

I really hope that UE5 is only for PS5 version.

I mean... My PC can handle UE4 based games well, but not UE5 ones.
And when developers change system requirements for games that you already bought, that's one of greatest sins ever and such devs need to be taken to court*.
Capcom evaded it by providing dx11 versions of re2make and re3make via "beta" option in Steam, but only after backlash of all those people who were involved.
Other devs, instead, kept both "legacy" and "updated" versions available to customers.

*though im sure those sleazy scoundrels put it into EULA that they can screw up as they want.
davyK

Post by davyK »

Am I the only one who series the irony in this?

Final should mean final. I'd have preferred a polished redux of the PS2 game. Perhaps with a handful of levels as DLC.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

R-Type Final 83: This Time It's Final: Ultimate Edition Founder's Pack Battle Pass
pablumatic

Post by pablumatic »

davyK wrote:Am I the only one who series the irony in this?

Final should mean final. I'd have preferred a polished redux of the PS2 game. Perhaps with a handful of levels as DLC.
It is pretty silly. Final 2 allegedly honors the ending of the original Final by claiming you're just playing simulated VR missions and there is no more real Bydo threat. Which makes the game fairly pointless.
PerishedFraud ឵឵

Post by PerishedFraud ឵឵ »

There's other aliens. Tactics confirmed it. Moving on from the Bydo might be a thing in the future.
Fun Over Victory| Shitpost Central | Shmusic Archive | Old Account | tuckfouhou@gmail.com
DMC

Post by DMC »

They could just adopt the titles from Friday the 13th series, which made part IV the "final" before realizing they wanted to keep cashing in. Or use any of the Halloween titles.

R-type: A new beginning
Bydo goes to hell: The final R-type
R-type Ends
R-type: 20 years later
R-type vs. Gradius
R-type: Bydo takes Manhattan
etc...
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

The Leprechaun horror movies had some good names too.

R-Type Final 4: In Space
Is that redundant? :lol:

R-Type: In The Hood
R-Type: Back 2 Tha Hood
PerishedFraud ឵឵

DMC wrote:R-type vs. Gradius
https://acid-play.com/download/g-type
Rastan78 wrote:R-Type: In The Hunt
FTFY
Fun Over Victory| Shitpost Central | Shmusic Archive | Old Account | tuckfouhou@gmail.com
Lander

Post by Lander »

You could also follow the storied Scary Movie tradition with...

R-Type Game

Though that might hit a bit close to home given the current state of the franchise :P
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

*ahem*

S-Type
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
PerishedFraud ឵឵

S-Type
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

PS5 Evolved Dick Stock VR exclusive edition. Totally uncensored flopping animation in VR at 4k 120hz. Stay tuned for seasonal DLC chode map.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

PerishedFraud ឵឵ wrote:
DMC wrote:R-type vs. Gradius
https://acid-play.com/download/g-type
Rastan78 wrote:R-Type: In The Hunt
FTFY
Please don't get me started on that fangame, it immediately went down the shitter when they turned Vic Viper into a Bydo... That was incredibly mean spirited.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

I rememeber G-Type. It straight-up rips a bunch of sprites and its pretty rough to play. Total kusoge, but also was also probably someone's passion project, and it has some moments.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

So do I squee about the upcoming R-Type Tactics port in this forum or Other Gaming?
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

DLC 9 dropped.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Christ, this thread. We never deserved Final 2. Never.
Redfox wrote:Same thing happened with Street Fighter V being PS4 exclusive, despite it having a larger user base on Xbox INCLUDING tournament play that lasted for years with SF 4....
You do know that the entire industry shifted from Microsoft to Sony that gen, right?
Rastan78 wrote:I notice there hasn't been a single high score submission in the Final 2 thread here. Just empty tables.
Has nothing to do with DLC. It's because scorekeeping for this game is impossible unless either your scorekeeping is shit, or your scorekeeping pisses people off. Same thing with Final. The games are just cursed as far as traditional scorekeeping, and I really never should have bothered making threads. Unfortunately, people actually posted in them, so I don't know what to do.
davyK wrote:Final should mean final. I'd have preferred a polished redux of the PS2 game. Perhaps with a handful of levels as DLC.
That is essentially what Final 2 is, reinforced by Final being a game a lot of people swear they hate. Why remake levels everyone says they hate, when you can just make new levels with the same mechanics?
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Steven

Post by Steven »

I'd love to submit my R-Type Final 2 no miss on Bydo, but I did it with the Leo II and I'm pretty sure I switched to the Sweet Luna for stage 3.

Oh, there isn't a table for Bydo difficulty anyway. Yeah, tracking scores for this game is certainly going to be frustrating for whoever does it due to ship switching and stuff.

Humanity probably didn't deserve Final 2, though. I really should go play it some more. I loved it, but I burned myself out playing it grinding for materials, and that was before the DLC even existed. I really wish they hadn't decided to do that to unlock ships, but that's how it is.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Yeah, that's another problem. Like I kinda want to have tables for Bydo, but that's way more tables, plus it'd absolutely justify at least yet more tables for Kids, except Bydo is really just a slightly harder version of Human, which also applies to R-Typer 2, so I had to do something similar to what speedrunners do with all those Doom difficulties, and... you see? It's impossible, impossible... That being said, I would be willing to open boards for any ships people consider to be "important", like the Leo II or the Wave Master or any other "last of line" type ships. I'm trying to avoid opening boards for every single possible ship here, especially since nobody's going to submit anything anyway.

That aside, switching ships is just a stupid stupid stupid concept that only makes sense if you absolutely do not want your game to be played seriously. That might have been what the devs wanted when making Final, but it really doesn't seem like what the devs wanted when making Final 2. So I don't know.

I don't care for the grinding on principle, but it's somehow better than Final's system where ship unlocks are just a long, hellish chain of having to play as specific ships for specific amounts of time.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Redfox

Post by Redfox »

Redfox wrote:Same thing happened with Street Fighter V being PS4 exclusive, despite it having a larger user base on Xbox INCLUDING tournament play that lasted for years with SF 4....
Despatche wrote:You do know that the entire industry shifted from Microsoft to Sony that gen, right?
That's a piss poor excuse. By that logic you could argue to throw away your PS4's and just get PS5's we're all shifting right? :P

And btw, I OWN a PS5 along with my Xbox and Switch so it don't bother me one way or the other :wink:

I'm getting this port when it comes out for sure.
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

The End of R-Type Final FINAL: The Last – True Conclusion Edition
pablumatic wrote:It is pretty silly. Final 2 allegedly honors the ending of the original Final by claiming you're just playing simulated VR missions and there is no more real Bydo threat. Which makes the game fairly pointless.
I was going to say that Final 1's normal ending felt ambiguous to me, then I realized that's partly due to the US version playing a downbeat BMG instrumental over the credits. It's a different mood than the Japanese version cheesily blaring that it's Proud of You
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
Lander

Post by Lander »

I'm not seeing this idea of Final 2 as an immaculate child unfairly spurned by an ingrate world.

We're lucky that it got the go-ahead to begin with, but that doesn't free it from warranted criticism.
Nor does it render all of GZ's post-launch decisions unimpeachable - they're as mortal and mistake-prone as the next game industry participator.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

You can do Final2 scoreboards two ways.

the "normal" way
Have an informal rule requesting only one ship used per run, and having modifiers in the table denote which ship and/or route, there's barely any players, whatever

the "despatche way"
Only allow three default ships, split every table sixteen ways by difficulty, route, and platform, and then let the thread enter peaceful, maximum blissful death
Lander

Post by Lander »

EmperorIng wrote:NEUTRAL PATH
Have an informal rule requesting only one ship used per run, and having modifiers in the table denote which ship and/or route, there's barely any players, whatever

LAW PATH
Only allow three default ships, split every table sixteen ways by difficulty, route, and platform, and then let the thread enter peaceful, maximum blissful death
I'm no serious scorer, so what I'm about to suggest may give the impression of a raving madman absent any grasp on robust competitive strata. That being said...

CHAOS PATH
Accept the combinatoric hell of Final 2 scoring. Embrace its maximalist design. Allow ship switching, and notate it as part of the route column.

If you think far enough outside the box, view the entire R-Museum as one unit of "player kit" rather than each ship individually, and squint a bit, it makes some sort of sense.
Consider Mushihimesama Arrange where you have a button to switch between the three standard shot types, but here that button only works between stages and has 101+ states. While wide, the playing field is technically still level (beyond backer ships, DLC ships, etc) assuming each participant has gone through the grind to unlock everything.

Though the customizable ships might warrant their own league (or none at all) since their combinatorics are quadruply as ridiculous as the fixed-function set. You'd need some sort of database foreign-key approach where the player submits a hangar table alongside their score and references it by index for each route datapoint, and that seems a bit beyond casual BBCode notation...
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

First trailer has hit:

https://youtu.be/8pN6qmij-pQ
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

March 23rd in Japan, Q2 2023 worldwide. I assume it’ll hit somewhere in April or May. Maybe late April like in 2021.
Lander

Post by Lander »

Not exactly overflowing with new content, this trailer. I saw what, one new hub and a smattering of new stages in the back half?

And my goodness that one clip running at 15FPS while the rest is solid :shock: might have wanted to leave that one out, lads, lest the world catches on and realises that this 'power of PS5' exclusivity hoo-haa has almost nothing to do with the underlying tech.
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

Lander wrote:Not exactly overflowing with new content, this trailer. I saw what, one new hub and a smattering of new stages in the back half?

And my goodness that one clip running at 15FPS while the rest is solid :shock: might have wanted to leave that one out, lads, lest the world catches on and realises that this 'power of PS5' exclusivity hoo-haa has almost nothing to do with the underlying tech.
I gather there will be 7 new stages, which I guess is the same we got for Delta & more than III & II. Will probably pick it up when I eventually get a PS5. What would really take the piss would be if the ask us to re-buy all the dlc homage stages that we bought for Final 2.

The first 7 homage stages are included, but the remaining 14 (secretly 15) are not.

Edit:
Having now watched Granzella's stream in full, any dlc already bought on PS4 will transfer over to the PS5 Evolved version. Good job.
On the minus side, it looks like the PS4 version will not be getting any of the new levels. A shame, but not exactly a surprise.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

This is still one of my reasons to get a PS5, along with CYGNI: All Guns Blazing. And hey, you never know, Aleste Branch, Ubusuna, and Radirgy 2 might end up on the PS5 as well.
MommysBestGames

Post by MommysBestGames »

I don't have a PS5 which makes me sad, but as a R-Type fan, I'm really glad to see some new enemy and level designs in the trailer!

I can't wait for some extreme, um... dentistry??
Made a giant arcade-adventure: Pig Eat Ball. Also made shmup with multi-ships: Shoot 1UP DX, Gunstacking game: Serious Sam Double D XXL, and more shooters.