R-Type Final 3 Evolved announced for PS5.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Lander

Re: R-Type Final 3 Evolved announced for PS5.

Post by Lander »

Steven wrote:Just two days ago I realized that you actually get more (or less) materials depending on what your pilot is wearing. I wish I'd noticed that 2 years ago when the game launched, as that might have made unlocking ships less painful.
If it makes you feel any better, that wasn't in the base game; it got added in one of the patches after everyone complained about getting shorted on Etherium / Bydogen.

So now we get to dress like clowns in exchange for slightly less painful farming :)
xxx1993 wrote:Where exactly does the final mission of R-Type Final 3 Evolved take place in the R-Type timeline, anyway? As well as the final missions of R-Type Final 2?
"Whenever, Wherever" :wink:

I dunno, maybe it's post-Final 1 cleanup. I get the sense that it's temporally closer to the Tactics subseries, since that shares many ships with Final.
Last edited by Lander on Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I think 7.2 of Final 2 is based on Tactics. Because it’s the same Bydo Core.
postman

Post by postman »

RTF 3 update is out in the US today (Friday 3/31). For a title change, there wasn't much added as far as I can tell:

1. Few new cosmetic items in the store.
2. Four new ships, but only two are playable now (two still in development)
3. Online stage is live, but not the leaderboard

So pretty meh........
Don't just dodge bullets, dance around them.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

But what about the stages? Or is it just for the PS5?
Darkseed_5150

Post by Darkseed_5150 »

So, I dowloaded the latest update for R-Type Final 2 on PS5. It changes the game thumbnail to R-Type Final 3 but still shows as a PS4 game. Once launched, the splash screen is the same R-Type Final 2 one. Once in the game, the start screen and rest of the game is also the same old Final 2.
What's the deal? Is this in preparation for the actual Final 3 launch?
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

Anyone got into any matches yet? I'm sat in the lobby RIGHT NOW
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
Lander

Post by Lander »

Still the same old R-Type Final 2.5 Version 1.4.1 ( Image ) over here in PC land.
I feel only the tiniest modicum of envy for this entirely expected sleight against the platform.
postman wrote:RTF 3 update is out in the US today (Friday 3/31). For a title change, there wasn't much added as far as I can tell:

1. Few new cosmetic items in the store.
2. Four new ships, but only two are playable now (two still in development)
3. Online stage is live, but not the leaderboard

So pretty meh........
New Irem: The first, second, and third word in overshooting your timeline and charging ahead to release regardless :lol:
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Is it me, or is the 7.2 path in Final 2 and the final mission of Final 3 Evolved essentially the two Tactics games remade in shmup form?
utsunderthesky

Post by utsunderthesky »

So I have the game on PS5… and…. Did they not give us the Volume 1 dlc set? Checked the psn store, and of course we can buy it, but wasnt it supposed to be free?

Anyway…

The original Final 3 campaign is really good.

Everything else added to the game is half-finished. Never saw anybody in the metaverse thing. It looks awful, too. The competition mode looks like it was made in a game generator.

I’d say this is only worth it if they fix it, or if you don’t have Final 2 on another console. The nee exclusive levels are really good, but like I said, the game seems unfinished.
Zach Keene

Post by Zach Keene »

My copy of Evolved arrived today, and I quickly booted it up and ran through the first new stage.

Thankfully, there is an option to convert save data from the PS4 version. Looks like PS4 DLC should be compatible, but the save convert prompt mentions you have to redownload the DLC and I don't seem to be able to do that at the moment.

Insta-popped a few trophies due to the convert but not as many as I would have expected. The game isn't showing up in my trophy list so I can't really check on that further.

No idea if I can convert back to PS4. I may have just doubled the amount of stages I have remaining for Admiral if I want to platinum both versions, lol.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

The final boss is weak, though, right?
soupbones

Post by soupbones »

Im really confused here.

I own the PS4 Digital Deluxe version, purchase on day 1 back in 2021. I now own a PS5 console and downloaded the game, but the art in the dashboard changed to Rtype Final 3, despite the actual title screen still saying 2 when you launch the game.

Was I upgraded to 3 or not lol? Doesn't seem that way since I'm able to purchase 3 from the PSN store. WTF.
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

soupbones wrote:Im really confused here.

I own the PS4 Digital Deluxe version, purchase on day 1 back in 2021. I now own a PS5 console and downloaded the game, but the art in the dashboard changed to Rtype Final 3, despite the actual title screen still saying 2 when you launch the game.

Was I upgraded to 3 or not lol? Doesn't seem that way since I'm able to purchase 3 from the PSN store. WTF.
Granzella have made a confusing mess of it, that's for sure.

So, 'R-Type Final 3' was originally touted as the free upgrade to Final 2 that implemented the multiplayer component of the game. The previous last significant update was Final 2.5 which released level R1.0 (that would become the multiplayer challenge in Final 3) in a single player format. A new campaign level 5.1 was also released with Final 2.5 with the vague promise that further new levels would arrive down the line. That intention may still come to fruition in the form of new multiplayer levels, R2.0 R3.0 etc. but there has not been a peep about them.

It was only late last year that R-Type Final 3 EVOLVED for PS5 only was advertised. This included a new campaign of seven levels (E1.0 to E7.0) exclusive to that version only. To be fair, they had never promised a new campaign for the original Final 2 game.

So in summary, R-Type Final 3 is essentially the free upgrade of R-Type Final 2 with the level R1.0 being supposedly being playable multiplayer.
R-Type Final 3 Evolved for PS5 has the new campaign and apparently all the old campaign levels being rendered in Unreal 5.

They could have saved a lot of confusion by just not changing the name of Final 2 with the updates.
Darkseed_5150

Post by Darkseed_5150 »

R-Type Final 3 - "Upgrade" forPS4 R-Type Final 2.

R-Type Final 3 Evolved - PS5 only. Uses Unreal 5 engine.

I got Evolved today and Im only on level 2 and am impressed by the settings, effects, and music. The gameplay so far is a bit more refined than 2.

Some slowdown in some areas but it looks great doing it lol.

Once they patch it, they'll have a nice platform to launch more content.
Firehawke

Post by Firehawke »

They really botched the messaging for this one. It's the Wii U all over again on forums, with people completely unclear as to what Evolved is compared to the original.
Steven

Post by Steven »

The only difference that I consider to actually be meaningful is that Evolved gets 7 new stages, of which like half are mediocre, and non-Evolved doesn't. That's it.

Evolved has some of the new things that will eventually be in non-Evolved, but that stuff will eventually be there, and at that point all Evolved will have in its favour will be the 7 new stages.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

It's just such a backwards way to name things. Would have made SO much more sense had they gone with:

R-Type Final 2 Evolved (for the "upgraded" PS4 Final 2)
R-Type Final 3 (for the PS5 game)

Or maybe call the PS5 game R-Type Final 2.5 or something :P Such a mess.
Austin

Post by Austin »

They should have just released this straight up as DLC for Final 2. Calling it "Final 3" is ridiculous. And to charge $50 for it? Sheesh.

I don't see the point in the UE5 upgrade. It basically looks the same as 2. Performance is still stuttery at points on the PS5. Why can't Granzella get this down? Seriously, Final 2 has been out for ages now, this is inexcusable. Not to mention some of the texture work in the Final 3 stages are atrocious. 360/PS3 level stuff, it's a joke.

Some of the new bosses are interesting, but some of the new levels themselves are a bit of a snooze-fest too. I don't know, it feels like a rip-off for people that already have Final 2.
Aceskies

Post by Aceskies »

New stages are kinda disappointing. Those from RTF2 were more interesting with some unique enemies and level layouts. But Evolved new stuff feels cheap and rushed. Its also cheap to make you pay for DLC packs 2 and 3. If you already paid for them on Switch, you wasted 80€.
OldSkoolShmuper

Post by OldSkoolShmuper »

I'm really looking forward to R-Type Tactics I*II Cosmos because all those games need is HD graphics and to be on modern platforms.
Aceskies

Post by Aceskies »

Be careful with E5.0 boss. It looks glitched if you use shock cannon charge shot. I have been shooting double charged shots for 2 minutes and it just wont die. Exactly the same happened with 7.0 boss on RTF2 release.

PD: I have a question — the game box says Stage pass 1 is included, but its not in the game nor I can download in from the store. What is happening here?
utsunderthesky

Post by utsunderthesky »

Aceskies wrote:Be careful with E5.0 boss. It looks glitched if you use shock cannon charge shot. I have been shooting double charged shots for 2 minutes and it just wont die. Exactly the same happened with 7.0 boss on RTF2 release.

PD: I have a question — the game box says Stage pass 1 is included, but its not in the game nor I can download in from the store. What is happening here?

I don’t have the DLC set either….
Zach Keene

Post by Zach Keene »

I have it. However I had purchased it previously on PS4. On the other hand, I had to redownload RTF3E versions of DLC 4-9, but did not need to redownload 1-3 (in fact there doesn't seem to be any such DLC available to download.)

There was also a patch a few days ago. I didn't have any DLC access prior to that.
Aceskies

Post by Aceskies »

I checked again the store and I can´t download anything. "R-type final 3 Stage pass" not available to downlolad because I don´t have "R-type final 2 stage pass". RTF2 stage pass and DLC sets are full price. So I can´t play to 1/3 of the game I paid. This is very disappointing.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

I got the PS5 version yesterday. A couple of questions:

- Is having only one life the only way to play the game? I really want to dig in and get to work, but it's absolutely destroying my ability to enjoy the game. Die once.... GAME OVER... Continue... Level Restart... PAIN.
- Any ship recommendations to chase early on?
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

Jonpachi wrote:I got the PS5 version yesterday. A couple of questions:

- Is having only one life the only way to play the game? I really want to dig in and get to work, but it's absolutely destroying my ability to enjoy the game. Die once.... GAME OVER... Continue... Level Restart... PAIN.
This is how I've had to do the more difficult games in the R-Type series. Certain power ups like the bits above and below your ship are extremely limited. I think R-Type 1 only has three in the entire game. So if you die after the second one, you're never reaching full power. It's pretty much a forced game over since those bits matter a lot in the last three stages.

Individual chunks of the R-Type games are not as hard as a typical modern danmaku game, but you need to play perfect for the entire run time. That's part of the fun though. Playing through the game feels like putting on a rehearsed performance. I'd drill the routes so much that it was really only the execution in a few tricky spots that would ever be the difference between a good run and a bad run.

In Final 2, the Leo 2 is a very powerful ship, I definitely recommend that one if it's like that in Final 3 as well.
Zach Keene

Post by Zach Keene »

Aceskies wrote:I checked again the store and I can´t download anything. "R-type final 3 Stage pass" not available to downlolad because I don´t have "R-type final 2 stage pass". RTF2 stage pass and DLC sets are full price. So I can´t play to 1/3 of the game I paid. This is very disappointing.
What I was getting at in my previous (rambling) post was I don't think any download is actually required for stage pass 1. I'm just not in the best position to judge having purchased it previously.

Are you on version 1.0.1?

No, you can configure the number of ships per credit (probably in exchange for a lower resource bonus). Don't have the game in front of me right now so I can't tell you where.
Last edited by Zach Keene on Tue May 02, 2023 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Zach Keene wrote:

No you can configure the number of ships per credit (probably in exchange for a lower resource bonus). Don't have the game in front of me right now so I can´t tell you where.
Ok, found it! I've certainly played my share of R-Type games before, but I wasn't expecting it to default to 0 lives. Very tedious to learn anything that way.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Zach Keene

Post by Zach Keene »

Yeah, it originally defaulted to 2 until they introduced the additional resource bonuses for handicaps (reduced lives, disable dose attack, etc) several updates back.
Aceskies

Post by Aceskies »

Zach Keene wrote:
Aceskies wrote:I checked again the store and I can´t download anything. "R-type final 3 Stage pass" not available to downlolad because I don´t have "R-type final 2 stage pass". RTF2 stage pass and DLC sets are full price. So I can´t play to 1/3 of the game I paid. This is very disappointing.
What I was getting at in my previous (rambling) post was I don't think any download is actually required for stage pass 1. I'm just not in the best position to judge having purchased it previously.

Are you on version 1.0.1?
Yes, I am on version 1.0.1. Chose new game, and only 2 campaigns available: R-Type final 3 evolved and R-Type final 2.