R-Type Final 3 Evolved announced for PS5.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
CMcK

R-Type Final 3 Evolved announced for PS5.

Post by CMcK »

https://www.gematsu.com/2022/10/r-type- ... ed-for-ps5

R-Type Final 3 Evolved is based on R-Type Final 2, and features improved visuals, over 100 playable ships, seven exclusive new stages, PlayStation VR2 support for takeoff scenes, metaverse spaces for online multiplayer lobbies, and mini-games.

PSVR2 support? I’d rather they gave us 4K 120 throughout the entire game. I know it’s not the fastest paced series but the improved response would still be appreciated.
The PS5 hasn’t been a big seller in Japan so I would expect this will make it to other systems, minus VR support, eventually.
Steven

Re: R-Type Final 3 Evolved announced for PS5.

Post by Steven »

Let me know when there's a PC release, especially since I don't have a PS5.
Zeether

Post by Zeether »

I'm going to wait for more information because this seems to have been a leak. Probably timed exclusive if anything.
<Aquas> EDMOND DROPPED OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL TO SMOKE COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF OPIUM
<Zeether> shoe failed college again <croikle> credit feed
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

This sounds like a bad joke. Releasing an "ultimate" version of the same product and just calling it the sequel. Guess they're taking tips from Blizzard.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Let me know when there's a PC release, especially since I don't have a PS5.
Spoiler
no one does
Astro City II

Post by Astro City II »

The road map they did last year implied the upgrade would come to all the current formats so this is a bit worrying.

Mind you the R-Type tactics games that are coming next year haven't included Xbox as a format in the recent issue of Famitsu so maybe Granzella aren't that trustworthy after all.

If Tactics skips Xbox after we've supported Final 2 for the last three years I'm going to be so angry.
Untitled1

Post by Untitled1 »

Cool that it supports PSVR2! This game was pushing some serious visuals and took a pretty big performance hit on Switch, so i stopped playing it. I get why they might've wanted to go PS5 only this time around. That's definitely where i'll be playing it this time.

With the VR inclusion I assume that Sony and them have struck a deal, so I wouldn't expect it to show up anywhere else, unfortunately.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Not for PS4?
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

xxx1993 wrote:Not for PS4?
Looks like Final 3 would be just Final 2 with all DLCs included, and some ship additions.
pablumatic

Post by pablumatic »

Weird labeling.

Should just be R-TYPE FINAL 2 "Deluxe" (or "Evolved" as the new title adds) since its not a new sequel.

Hope this won't be a case of false advertising.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

This does not inspire a lot of faith. This game is another level DLC pack and some unfortunate VR stuff rebranded into R-Type 3? And PS5 exclusive for some weird reason despite all the code coming from the multiplatform Final 2 release?

I can't imagine Sony would buy exclusivity for a shmup, but the VR stuff kinda makes it look that way.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

copy-paster wrote:
xxx1993 wrote:Not for PS4?
Looks like Final 3 would be just Final 2 with all DLCs included, and some ship additions.
And why bother calling it "R-Type Final 3 Evolved" if it's just another version of R-Type Final 2? At least with Raiden V and Crimzon Clover it was justified with the former being called "Director's Cut" and the latter being called "World EXplosion"...
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

I feel like none of the doomposters here have followed this game at all since it released.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
To Far Away Times

To be fair this is not the easiest game to follow... with tidbits often burried in 90 minute videos spoken in Japanese.

I've would love it if some kind soul would do a detailed summary of what we know.

But I do know they're working off Final 2 as the foundation and based on how they've done all those level packs as DLC, well... this doesn't seem worthy of a "3".
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

The name R-Type Final 3 is undoubtedly a confusing choice for anyone who has not been following the game closely, but for those who have, it has always been touted as an expansion of R-Type Final 2 rather than an actual sequel.

I look forward to the proper announcement (I think tomorrow?) but I won't deny I wouldn't be peeved if the new levels for 3 are not buyable/accessible for owners of the game on last generation hardware.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

I'd love to experience a shmup designed from the ground up for VR maybe a vertical one with like a 45 degree angle view and 3 axes of movement
PerishedFraud ឵឵

Post by PerishedFraud ឵឵ »

From what I understand it's basically an extra campaign to play. So in effect it's the same platform as RTF2, but the new stages are what makes it the 3. Not too disssimilar to a comparison between the original R-Type and R-Type 2, actually.

Obviously the correct move here is making this an upgrade/major DLC for RTF2. Will it happen? Well, I hope so, but maybe money will prove to be stronger than morals. Let's see what the bydo in charge do.
Fun Over Victory| Shitpost Central | Shmusic Archive | Old Account | tuckfouhou@gmail.com
Lander

Post by Lander »

Not pictured: Kazuma Kujo and company going out on a bender to celebrate the release of their latest level pack, getting plastered, and returning to the office in a fit of drunken enthusiasm to tweet out another new-yet-inadvisable name that they then have to stick to :roll:

There's not exactly a lot of info to go on here (the gematsu article links to itself within the first sentence for fuck's sake :lol:), but of what's there:

Improved Visuals
Could mean a genuine polish sweep for the baseline assets, could mean cranking up graphics settings to something approaching PC levels.
Until they disambiguate, who can say.

Over 100 playable ships
We've had this since Final 1, plus a few additions in Final 2 like backer and DLC ships.
Really, it's just a marketing bulletpoint. Could be that they add some new ones, but it's vague enough to provide plausible deniability.

Seven exclusive new stages
This is probably the biggest ticket item. If not for the 'exclusive', I'd be assuming it was a pack-in of existing DLC.

There will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth if that ends up meaning 'Full PS5 Exclusive' rather than 'Final 3 Exclusive'.
I guess that's a purely academic distinction for console players, but has a bad ring to it for those of us on platforms supposedly less affected by the cross-gen rerelease malaise.

That aside, seven stages is a good amount of new content. I think they've inadvertently self-sabotaged the optics on this one; having already put out that many if not more as DLC over the last year, the promise of 7 more isn't quite as explosive as it otherwise would be.

Still, if it's a proper full new campaign, it might yet live up to the 3. Practical guess is that the 3 will be the promised quality-of-life patch mentioned in the explainer about why they put out 2.5 (i.e. already promised as a free update and therefore unlikely to include any substantial free content), and Evolved will be the "sequel" level pack so they can get paid.

What an absolute marketing minefield!

PSVR2 support for takeoff scenes
Be still my beating heart.

Much like Tekken 7's barebones little VR gimmick sandbox, this will be cool once, then go perpetually forgotten on account of having no substance.

Also RIP any chance of SteamVR, but let's be real. The current wave of VR died the minute it broke big without a Khronos Group-like consortium to prevent the platform holders from immediately fracturing the shit out of it :x
BazookaBen wrote:I'd love to experience a shmup designed from the ground up for VR maybe a vertical one with like a 45 degree angle view and 3 axes of movement
That would be just the ticket - like Ace Combat 7 having one mission built specifically to take advantage of VR. Something, anything that isn't another minimal safe tech demo...

There's definitely a lot of room for interesting shmup concepts in VR - I hacked together a rail shooter idea in Unreal a while back that didn't go anywhere (turns out repeatedly putting on and taking off the headset is a real productivity killer), but showed a lot of promise even in a dead simple primitive-shapes-in-a-void prototype state.
Think Star Fox but with the ship attached to your hand, and using the barrel roll to swap it to the other hand - neat, intuitive-feeling stuff.

Metaverse Spaces
Not going to dignify this nonsense with its own segment. Next...

Minigames
R-Pilot Tamagotchi!!! Do it you cowards :o :o :o
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

But why must it be PS5 exclusive?
To Far Away Times

xxx1993 wrote:But why must it be PS5 exclusive?
(Sony has more or less completely given up on Japan, which makes this all the more puzzling). Considering this game is targeting a Japanese audience, the potential audience for this game is quite small, even by our niche shmup standards.

If only there was a system that was crazy popular in Japan and the US and had a metric shit ton of shmups on it and an audience that buys indie games at a much higher rate...
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

To make sure poor people can't save money on the dlc for previous-gen versions. :lol:
pablumatic

Post by pablumatic »

Perhaps this "Evolved" edition is PS5 exclusive and there's a non-"Evolved" version for other consoles without the VR stuff.
Darkseed_5150

Post by Darkseed_5150 »

I'm in. Please make the most of all the PS5's features.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

I'll hold off until all the extra DLC for Final 3 is released aka Final 4 Enhanced Edition.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

But what if a PS5 is too expensive?
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

According to the official website linked above, there are only two, not seven exclusive stages on PS5. [EDIT - Whoops, debunked - see below] AFAIK we're still getting R-Type Final 3 on the other formats with the seven new stages, just not "evolved".

Like Chronicle Saviours on Switch, this is looks to be nice for people who don't already own the game but not essential for those who do.
Last edited by Sly Cherry Chunks on Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I still might have to get a PS5 just for this, though...
PerishedFraud ឵឵

Post by PerishedFraud ឵឵ »

Buy me one too while you're at it.
Fun Over Victory| Shitpost Central | Shmusic Archive | Old Account | tuckfouhou@gmail.com
Lander

Post by Lander »

Because the world is an unfair place, and videogames have been a compromised medium for almost a decade if not longer.
xxx1993 wrote:But what if a PS5 is too expensive?
Then it won't be affordable!
xxx1993 wrote:I still might have to get a PS5 just for this, though...
...Then the world will continue to be an unfair place, because this awful exclusivity shit is functioning exactly as designed :)

Not that one person opting not to feed the beast would fix it, of course - we're long past the individual having any real kind of buying power.
Sly Cherry Chunks wrote:According to the official website linked above, there are only two, not seven exclusive stages on PS5.
I'm not seeing that anywhere - are you sure you didn't misread "R-Type Final 2, new stages" as "R-Type Final, 2 new stages"?

Amazing innit; even with a full public-facing promo website, trying to figure out what this game will be still feels like fumbling around in the dark :lol: