R-Type Final 3 Evolved announced for PS5.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Steven

Re: R-Type Final 3 Evolved announced for PS5.

Post by Steven »

R-101 Grand Finale. You can do this as soon as you get the Ragnarok II if you really want to... or just use the special weapon.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

The magnum opus, huh?
Steven

Post by Steven »

New useless DLC launched yesterday: some sort of vehicles for you to ride in the R Park. I don't really know what the purpose of this is, but there are two of them, one free and one for a few hundred yen. Free stuff is free, so might as well take the free stuff.

I also noticed that the B-99 Apocalypse now has a joint PS4+PS5 version, and the old PS5-only version is gone. I got the original PS5-only one and it doesn't give me the PS4 one, so I guess I got somewhat ripped off by buying it early, not that I'll ever play the PS4 version again.

Also, Final 3 Evolved no miss get. Sure took long enough, although I didn't really start playing it until recently. I'll put the replay up if anyone wants to see it, but it's kind of cheesy due to lots of Leo Force Kai and Giga Wave Cannon abuse.
xxx1993 wrote:The magnum opus, huh?
Might as well use it since I have it; it's the best ship in the game, although it's basically identical to the R-99 and R-100. You can do this with Ragnarok II if you want since it has the same Wave Cannon, or just get there with max Dose and press triangle or whatever.
utsunderthesky

Post by utsunderthesky »

There is a new update out now. Anyone try it?

also, is anybody else just not able to download the Stage Pass 1? Im in Japan and of course my copy is Japanese, but the japanese psn doesnt have the stage pass for free. However, the US store does. But it says i dont own the game so i cant download it.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

The only thing I know about this new update is that there's now a Stage 4.1. Anything else, though?
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

No sign of the update on UK's psn yet. I gather the new stage (4.1) is accessible from picking up the purple orb from stage 3.0.
I wonder if they plan to do a 3.1 and 2.1 too, making a whole alternative route in the base game. Shame it would end with 7.1, arguably the worst level of the whole lot.
consoleretro

Post by consoleretro »

utsunderthesky wrote:There is a new update out now. Anyone try it?

also, is anybody else just not able to download the Stage Pass 1? Im in Japan and of course my copy is Japanese, but the japanese psn doesnt have the stage pass for free. However, the US store does. But it says i dont own the game so i cant download it.
No, UK copy and still can't download it. Says included on back of box but PSN says you need to own the game! Tried raising with NIS on Twitter but predictably no response.
Steven

Post by Steven »

So I was playing Hellfire just now and all of the sudden a thing appeared. It was an update for R-Type Final 3 Evolved! I have no idea what it did and PS5 has no patch notes, so if someone figures it out, let me know! It only took a few seconds to download and update, so it was probably not much.
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

Steven wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:40 am So I was playing Hellfire just now and all of the sudden a thing appeared. It was an update for R-Type Final 3 Evolved! I have no idea what it did and PS5 has no patch notes, so if someone figures it out, let me know! It only took a few seconds to download and update, so it was probably not much.
Hopefully will be the new levels 4.1 (accessed fron 3.0) and a new multiplayer stage (R2.0 by memory).
Steven

Post by Steven »

Has Granzella said anything about this game recently? There are two extra spaces for ships that don't exist yet, but I have not seen any news about this game at all for some time.

They're working on the delayed Tactics remakes, so maybe they are focusing on finishing those right now instead of whatever they have planned for this game.
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

Steven wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:11 am Has Granzella said anything about this game recently? There are two extra spaces for ships that don't exist yet, but I have not seen any news about this game at all for some time.

They're working on the delayed Tactics remakes, so maybe they are focusing on finishing those right now instead of whatever they have planned for this game.
This was their last info stream just less than a month ago. You'll likely get much more from it than me Steven due to my zero understanding of the language.

https://www.youtube.com/live/ocCA0Vhnue ... 1BBW9FHnxt

Another stream is due in a few days time too.
OldSkoolShmuper

Post by OldSkoolShmuper »

Steven wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:11 am Has Granzella said anything about this game recently? There are two extra spaces for ships that don't exist yet, but I have not seen any news about this game at all for some time.

I'm hoping the Tactics remakes are the focus currently, because I want those so bad.
Darkseed_5150

Post by Darkseed_5150 »

Just wanted to pop in here and say that this is still by far my favorite STG of the year and maybe even the last decade. The updated graphics on UE5 and sublime controls, music, gameplay, atmosphere are on another level. I have all the DLC, worth every penny.
gradiusscrub69

Post by gradiusscrub69 »

Darkseed_5150 wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 2:22 am Just wanted to pop in here and say that this is still by far my favorite STG of the year and maybe even the last decade. The updated graphics on UE5 and sublime controls, music, gameplay, atmosphere are on another level. I have all the DLC, worth every penny.
pssssst. Crazy question. But does it have surround sound?
Steven

Post by Steven »

Has anyone here finished stage 4.1? This stage seems extremely difficult.
Marc

Post by Marc »

So even though I've got all the DLC for Final 2 PS4, and load and titles are now a mix of 2/3/evolved, there's still another PS5 version with no way to upgrade? Have I got that right?
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

Steven wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:42 am Has anyone here finished stage 4.1? This stage seems extremely difficult.
Yes, but only on the easiest mode so far. It's brutal.
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

Marc wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:29 am So even though I've got all the DLC for Final 2 PS4, and load and titles are now a mix of 2/3/evolved, there's still another PS5 version with no way to upgrade? Have I got that right?
It was unnecessarily confusing for them to change the PS4 version title to Final 3. The PS5 version aka Final 3 Evolved does have an exclusive seven levels that are not available in any way outside of that version at this time and with no upgrade option currently on offer as you say.
Steven

Post by Steven »

My Steam, GOG, PS4, and Switch versions are all still R-Type Final 2, and yes, I did buy this game and all of the DLC 5 times, including the PS5 version. I guess some people have a non-Evolved version of R-Type Final 3 somehow, but I don't. I do like the second half of the Final 3 Evolved course, though. It's really good.
Samildanach wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:32 am
Steven wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:42 am Has anyone here finished stage 4.1? This stage seems extremely difficult.
Yes, but only on the easiest mode so far. It's brutal.
It's by far the hardest stage in the game, DLC included, and some of the DLC stages are very difficult.

Speaking of that, I used score attack mode to check out what they did with stage Y7.0 (R-Type 1 stage 2) on R-Typer 3. How the fuck is anyone supposed to recover in this? I'm sure someone has probably no missed it on R-Typer 3 with the R-9A with no Force, no missiles, no bits, and no charge shot, but damn do things move fast here!

I somehow managed to do what is probably some of the best flying I've ever done and it still wasn't good enough. Then I carelessly crashed into a brain jar and game overed. https://youtu.be/VXkZVoCx1xA

This version of this stage is really great. Some of DLC stages are the best stages in the game and some are also better than the original versions of the stages, like this one. I just wish it wasn't a final stage and therefore can only be used as a final stage in a custom course. I've been messing around with the custom course thing for the past few days and it and the DLC stages elevate this game far above what it originally launched as. I know a lot of people hated this game when it launched, but it's so much better now.
Steven

Post by Steven »

I finally beat that ridiculous stage 4.1 on normal in score attack. I have no idea what to say about this stage other than that whoever made it must be crazy.
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

Nice work. It is rather brutal and would definitely be better as a final level. Oh well, if it is the last we get, at least we have a big challenge, and we can always change the stage order (other than the final stages annoyingly).
ryu

Post by ryu »

I can't believe the game still doesn't let players pick secondary colors. And customize the colors for those and the primary parts like it allows for the canopy.

There's a new update for Final 3 Evolved. Don't ask me what it changed though. Can't find any info on Granzellas websites or Twitter either.
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
ryu

Post by ryu »

Just realized there's a placerholder for a new fighter in development in the humanoid line. Has that always been there?
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Steven

Post by Steven »

That new spot is new. I forgot what is going there, or even if it's been announced. I watched a Granzella stream (not live) a while ago and I don't remember if Kujo mentioned it or not. It's been so long since I have watched a Granzella stream that I'd forgotten how bad Kujo is at giving presentations! He made Kaitei Daisensou, so I forgive him for it.
ryu

Post by ryu »

Makes you wonder how much longer until they're done with Final 2... 3 .... whatever it may be called in the future.

I almost got a 1cc on the Final 2 main course. But the game thought it would be fun to spawn my ship inside of a piece of debris after the transition that begins the final boss fight. Brilliant.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

I was about to say this is the FF7 Remake of shmups. We’re gonna get R-Type Final 4: Ultimate Bydo’s Backpack Edition for PS6 in 2031
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
ryu

Post by ryu »

Jonpachi wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:06 am I was about to say this is the FF7 Remake of shmups. We’re gonna get R-Type Final 4: Ultimate Bydo’s Backpack Edition for PS6 in 2031
Given that R-Type Final 2 originated on Kickstarter, how could it be anything but a mess? :lol: In all seriousness though, I'm quite happy with what we got and don't regret a cent I spent on both versions and the DLC stages on PS5. It's not a super great shmup, but playing it is easily the most fun I've had with a Kickstarter game since Curse of the Moon. And with all those DLC stages I don't see that passing anytime soon.

Yet my biggest gripe is how much it feels like "son, we got R-Type Final at home"™. The atmospheric vibe is there but the original Final and Delta stages did it so much better. The final stages, especially the fighter graveyard, come somewhat close but are still not as memorable as the city raids, the Bydo forest, Final's first mission and more. Final's ending really left an impression with the vocal song playing in the background and Final 2 is only trying and failing to accomplish the same. The way the game determines the ending path via those colorful orbs just feels cheap and out of place. At least they fixed the gameplay by removing all that dead air that was dragging down Final. And even if the stage visuals are nothing to write home about at least the ships look really good. The time travel and Bydo transformation shenanigans were revolutionary storytelling for the genre. I don't understand why Final 2 just does it again but worse instead of coming up with something else for the alternative ending pathways. :(

The new campaign for Evolved seems to take its inspiration from the series' arcade roots (surprised nobody seems to have mentioned this yet). I've only credit fed myself through it once, but it seemed to be much more difficult than the original Final 2 campaign. Some of the stages lack polish even more than the average stage from the main campaign, but at least the factory and abyss left a real impression on me for once. I generally liked that the stages have real music again instead of trying to copy Final's ambience. It's just too bad they didn't put the same effort into E2.0 and E6.0, those bring down the entire campaign that could have been really good otherwise. But this is just my initital impression. We'll see how I feel about the campaign once I try to no miss it.

I wish the stages putting you up against humanity also had you shoot down mechanical enemies instead of just fighters. Seeing the fighters mass produced doesn't feel right to me and the stages feel much too gimmicky with how they keep sending out waves of the same machines.
Steven wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:08 am It's been so long since I have watched a Granzella stream that I'd forgotten how bad Kujo is at giving presentations!
For real. Dude's just having a good time chatting with the audience instead of doing his job and bringing the news. :lol: I tried watching one of those out of curiosity and had to keep skipping through the entire thing.
Last edited by ryu on Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steven

Post by Steven »

ryu wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:00 am
Steven wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:08 am It's been so long since I have watched a Granzella stream that I'd forgotten how bad Kujo is at giving presentations!
For real. Dude's just having a good time chatting with the audience instead of doing his job and bringing the news. :lol: I tried watching one of those out of curiosity and had to keep skipping through the entire thing.
During the one I watched he was talking about stuff and then suddenly said "...I want coffee. Can someone go get me a coffee? This isn't power harassment or anything, but I really want a coffee right now", so someone went and bought him a coffee and delivered it to him during the stream. He tends to get sidetracked quite easily, too.
ryu

Post by ryu »

Jonpachi wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:06 am I was about to say this is the FF7 Remake of shmups. We’re gonna get R-Type Final 4: Ultimate Bydo’s Backpack Edition for PS6 in 2031
On second thought, maybe that was their long term plan for the game. And it makes sense in a way if you think about it. If they went on to develop R-Type IV or Delta 2 with one or a small selection of ships people are going to be disappointed that they can no longer play their favorite fighter from Final. On the other hand they can't reasonably ask players to unlock their ships from 0 in every subsequent game. Just releasing new campaigns and ships for Final 2 sounds like a reasonable solution.

Only Evolved proves that generational jumps make this rather difficult. They would have to run servers and require players to sign up for accounts to store the save data globally so it can be available across platforms for the model to work in the long run. Then they'd better make sure the new campaigns are up to par to rationalize the significant version upgrade. The Evolved course feels like basic DLC compared to the original campaign with its branching paths. :?
Steven

Post by Steven »

Evolved course starts off a bit sleepy, but it gets pretty good on stage 4... so it's kind of like the regular Final 2 course!

I'm still not sure why Evolved even exists, for that matter. "Let's make another version of the same game but with 7 exclusive stages for a system that nobody has instead of giving everyone those new stages!" - Granzella

I don't really get it at all unless Sony paid them to do it, which itself would be weird because R-Type probably isn't exactly a system seller to most people. More people probably have the PS5 by now, though, as I think the stock issues have mostly been resolved.

Out of curiosity, I checked the Famitsu sales for Final 2 and it seems that it outsold Daioujou Rinne Tensei, which I thought was interesting, especially because that wouldn't include Kickstarter/crowdfunding backers, although I forgot if 3 Evolved showed up in the top 30 when it launched.