R-Type Final 3 Evolved announced for PS5.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
xxx1993

Re: R-Type Final 3 Evolved announced for PS5.

Post by xxx1993 »

If the PS5 is selling so well this year, why is it expensive?
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

xxx1993 wrote:If the PS5 is selling so well this year, why is it expensive?
Because companies lower prices to stimulate struggling sales, not when they're going well. Sony actually raised the price in a lot of markets last year IIRC. But I'm sure global inflation played a part.

Personally I'm just spending most of my money on retro stuff right now instead. If Sony are going to ask $90 (+13% sales tax) for a 1st party game here in Canada, I'd rather just spend that on a legit copy of Lords of Thunder or something that I know will be awesome to play on real hardware, and will probably appreciate in value over time rather than be a greatest hits title in 18 months.

Plus I haven't finished R-Type Final 2 yet >_>
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

Sengoku Strider wrote:
xxx1993 wrote:If the PS5 is selling so well this year, why is it expensive?
Because companies lower prices to stimulate struggling sales, not when they're going well. Sony actually raised the price in a lot of markets last year IIRC. But I'm sure global inflation played a part.

Personally I'm just spending most of my money on retro stuff right now instead. If Sony are going to ask $90 (+13% sales tax) for a 1st party game here in Canada, I'd rather just spend that on a legit copy of Lords of Thunder or something that I know will be awesome to play on real hardware, and will probably appreciate in value over time rather than be a greatest hits title in 18 months.

Plus I haven't finished R-Type Final 2 yet >_>
Yeah.
I’m purposely lagging myself by one generation.
1 gen behind keeps every game on a deep discount when I’m ready to buy.
Great for gaming, great for collecting, great for reselling.

Plus… PS5 is the biggest, ugliest system in history. I’ll be in for the refresh.
Sengoku Strider

kid aphex wrote:Plus… PS5 is the biggest, ugliest system in history. I’ll be in for the refresh.
This is where I'm at too. The family chipped in to get my nephew one at launch for Christmas. When I actually saw the beast hooked up under the tv I thought "You've got to be kidding me." Mentions of a hardware redesign showed up pretty quickly after launch, so I'm sure I'm not the only one. Shipping costs on that thing must be an expense Sony would be happy to reduce as well.

If there was anything I was dying to play on it I'm sure I'd change my tune quickly, but most of the library has left me flat so far, and most of the stuff that did pique my interest has also been on PS4.
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

Sengoku Strider wrote:
kid aphex wrote:Plus… PS5 is the biggest, ugliest system in history. I’ll be in for the refresh.
This is where I'm at too. The family chipped in to get my nephew one at launch for Christmas. When I actually saw the beast hooked up under the tv I thought "You've got to be kidding me." Mentions of a hardware redesign showed up pretty quickly after launch, so I'm sure I'm not the only one. Shipping costs on that thing must be an expense Sony would be happy to reduce as well.

If there was anything I was dying to play on it I'm sure I'd change my tune quickly, but most of the library has left me flat so far, and most of the stuff that did pique my interest has also been on PS4.

Not to derail the thread anymore but…
The revamped model is supposedly digital only, with an optional usb disc drive for sale
Very weird stuff
cfx

Post by cfx »

kid aphex wrote:
Sengoku Strider wrote:

Not to derail the thread anymore but…
The revamped model is supposedly digital only, with an optional usb disc drive for sale
Very weird stuff
Those same rumors say that drive is integrated, not a separate box. If it is made similar to the current model, it could be integrated into a replacement top or bottom panel.

I'm hoping it gets a different design aesthetic without the curvy shit, and is a single color instead of white and black. That probably won't be the case though, as both the PS3 and PS4 redesigns kept the overall aesthetics of their predecessors.

It will certainly get smaller; the current motherboard revision is such that there's no longer any reason for the outer shell to be as large as it is.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I've beaten R-Type Final 2 a long time ago. But this game isn't the only reason why I want a PS5. There's also CYGNI. Yes, I know it's also going to be for Xbox Series and Steam, but screw that, I want it on PS5. I'm not paying for an Xbox Series.
Sengoku Strider

kid aphex wrote:digital only
*Hisses in vampire*
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

R-Type Final 3 Evolved is digital only? I thought I heard there were going to be physical copies somewhere…
MJR

Post by MJR »

Digital only makes sense - in a way that this seems to be hardly more than extended DLC.

I never really got into Final 2 - I completed all the levels and some six first DLC's on "kids" difficulty and then lost interest; which is a shame because originally I was so excited that I bought it for PC, Switch and PS4 - switch as physical. I don't know if it's the fault of the game, or me. I used to play every previous R-type -in almost religious manner- up, over and over again up to highest difficulties available.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

MJR wrote:I never really got into Final 2 - I completed all the levels and some six first DLC's on "kids" difficulty and then lost interest; which is a shame because originally I was so excited that I bought it for PC, Switch and PS4 - switch as physical. I don't know if it's the fault of the game, or me. I used to play every previous R-type -in almost religious manner- up, over and over again up to highest difficulties available.
I liked final 2 a lot, still do. The original levels are pretty fun and working towards the 1CC for each path was very enjoyable. I think the developers lost focus with all the extra content, though. While the homage levels are (mostly) fine by themselves, they never form a cohesive course and jump in difficulty all over the place. The weirdest decision must be that the developers, instead of filling in the missing branch in stage 5, opted to add another branching path in stage 4, in a place not exactly well-suited for that.

I can't quite explain it, but somehow all the additional content diminishes the whole package for me, and I like it less with every new DLC, even though I know I could just ignore that stuff altogether. Seeing that Final 3 is basically just another update, I'm not sure I really look forward to it. Should it end up being a whole new course of well-designed stages that work together like the original ones from Final 2 do, I'd be more than happy to play it.
MJR

Post by MJR »

Herr Schatten wrote:
MJR wrote:I never really got into Final 2 - I completed all the levels and some six first DLC's on "kids" difficulty and then lost interest; which is a shame because originally I was so excited that I bought it for PC, Switch and PS4 - switch as physical. I don't know if it's the fault of the game, or me. I used to play every previous R-type -in almost religious manner- up, over and over again up to highest difficulties available.
I liked final 2 a lot, still do. The original levels are pretty fun and working towards the 1CC for each path was very enjoyable. I think the developers lost focus with all the extra content, though. While the homage levels are (mostly) fine by themselves, they never form a cohesive course and jump in difficulty all over the place. The weirdest decision must be that the developers, instead of filling in the missing branch in stage 5, opted to add another branching path in stage 4, in a place not exactly well-suited for that.

I can't quite explain it, but somehow all the additional content diminishes the whole package for me, and I like it less with every new DLC, even though I know I could just ignore that stuff altogether. Seeing that Final 3 is basically just another update, I'm not sure I really look forward to it. Should it end up being a whole new course of well-designed stages that work together like the original ones from Final 2 do, I'd be more than happy to play it.
I only ever purchased the DLC for PC version, so maybe I can try again some day on Switch and PS4 as those only consist of the "base game".
Lander

Post by Lander »

Herr Schatten wrote:I can't quite explain it, but somehow all the additional content diminishes the whole package for me, and I like it less with every new DLC, even though I know I could just ignore that stuff altogether. Seeing that Final 3 is basically just another update, I'm not sure I really look forward to it. Should it end up being a whole new course of well-designed stages that work together like the original ones from Final 2 do, I'd be more than happy to play it.
This is definitely a phenomenon; I felt similar when RE2make got its Ghost Survivors DLC; A decent set of subgames, but so lacking in polish compared to the main campaign (and even the existing hunk / tofu subgames) that it ends up retroactively cheapening the whole package.

Some of Final 2's DLC stages are pretty cool, but the way each set is grouped into a mini-campaign with a hardcoded end stage that can't be mix-matched with regular ones makes a mess of it. The whole classic stage thing feels perfect for an anthology setup where - idealistically - you could eventually have the whole series playable in F2, or at least cobble together something close enough from what's available, but that gets footgunned immediately by the arbitrary selection for each pack and aforementioned mix-match issue.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

I like how Strania handled it with the Side Vower dlc. It reminds me a bit of the extra Shovel Knight campaigns how they became almost sequels. I think dropping a full on alternate campaign or arrange mode lands better than a mix n match trickle of various levels. And it's far less confusing to keep track of it all.
Steven

Post by Steven »

So what's the deal with DLC for this thing? The DLC from Final 2 is not included and if you want it you still have to buy it, right? I guess I'll find out soon enough because my copy is arriving tomorrow, but the (Japanese) website is pretty much worthless and contains very little information about the game. It doesn't even have the fucking box art even though the game releases in less than 24 hours. Everyone knows that's the most important part of the game! WTF GRANZELLA GIVE ME MY FUCKING BOX ART!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, I will figure it out tomorrow or something. I have all of the DLC on GOG, but only some of it on PS4 and Switch. It would be nice if they included everything since it's already made and there's no reason for them to not put it on the disc, but somehow I have a feeling that they didn't.
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

Steven wrote:So what's the deal with DLC for this thing? The DLC from Final 2 is not included and if you want it you still have to buy it, right? I guess I'll find out soon enough because my copy is arriving tomorrow, but the (Japanese) website is pretty much worthless and contains very little information about the game. It doesn't even have the fucking box art even though the game releases in less than 24 hours. Everyone knows that's the most important part of the game! WTF GRANZELLA GIVE ME MY FUCKING BOX ART!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, I will figure it out tomorrow or something. I have all of the DLC on GOG, but only some of it on PS4 and Switch. It would be nice if they included everything since it's already made and there's no reason for them to not put it on the disc, but somehow I have a feeling that they didn't.
The last I heard (from the Granzella stream 1 month ago) you would get the first set of dlc with Evolved (i.e. X1.0 -X7.0). Also I think that if you had bought the other dlc sets on ps store, they would be compatible with both versions of the game. Obviously this wouldn't be the case if bought for a different system
Last edited by Samildanach on Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Since it should be out in Japan by now, let's see if it's exactly the same as R-Type Final 2.
Steven

Post by Steven »

xxx1993 wrote:Since it should be out in Japan by now
It isn't. 25 minutes left.

0000 edit: alright, it's up now. Are DLC things supposed to be 22 yen?
Samildanach wrote:The last I heard (from the Granzella stream 1 month ago) you would get the first set of dlc with Evolved (I.e. X1.0 -X7.0). Also I think that if you had bought the other dlc sets on ps store, they would be compatible with bothe versions of the game. Obviously this wouldn't be the case if bought for a different system
So I should go buy everything, then. I wonder why the hell they didn't just let all PS5 owners just stick the R-Type Final 2 disc in the system and instantly get Final 3 Evolved for free, or even for a small fee like how Death Stranding works.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I just want to know if there’s really anything new to the table, or if the final stages and endings are exactly the same as in R-Type Final 2.
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

xxx1993 wrote:I just want to know if there’s really anything new to the table, or if the final stages and endings are exactly the same as in R-Type Final 2.
There is a whole new 7 stage campaign for the R-TF 3 Evolved release. There is no indication these stages will be available on any other platform at the moment.
The bits I've seem of the new levels look pretty cool, but I suspect that anyone who didn't like the original courses will probably not be that enthralled by the new.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

Truly one of the strangest marketing and platform choices.

The games out and we don't even know if it's a sequel or a just the 8th or 9th DLC level pack.
Steven

Post by Steven »

I am still waiting for Amazon to deliver my game, but they emailed me the code for the cardboard stuff. It will be here today, although I do not know exactly when.

It seems that the DLC that I bought for R-Type Final 2 is 22 yen each for Final 3 Evolved for some reason. I am not sure why this is this way, but that's how it is. 99% off for DLC you already own that is apparently compatible with Final 3 so you don't even need it... but it's also the same DLC that is included for free, right? I really don't get it at all, but I will find out soon enough. I don't really see a point in buying the Final 3 Evolved DLC at all if the Final 2 DLC is compatible, but if it is compatible, or even included, why does it give you a 99% discount for the same thing for Final 3 Evolved? I am very confused. This whole Final 3 Evolved thing is just stupid.

When do the non-Evolved versions become Final 3? Did they ever decide that?

Edit: game get. Installing now. No day 1 patch. Thank god they actually managed to at least get that right, unlike almost every other developer for the past 10 years.

Yep, I lied. There is a patch: version 1.000.001. Well, time to Finally (lol) launch this game. It seems that none of my DLC from Final 2 shows up under Final 3 Evolved, so I guess I'll find out momentarily exactly what this game is even supposed to be.

Lol the logo screens before the title screen reveal the involvement of our old friend

CITY CONNECTION

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

After spending a few minutes with it, I think you have to rebuy the DLC, as I can only find the main courses for Final 3 Evolved and Final 2, and the Amazon bonus box decal from Final 2 does not appear anywhere. Great job, Granzella.

I am also seeing performance problems, either incorrect frame pacing or slowdown when there shouldn't be any, which is concerning. This is the power of the PS5? My PC from 2017 runs this game (well, Final 2) better. Loading times are pretty decent (~1 second, at least if you skip the hangar scene. Forgot how long it is if you don't skip it, but it's still pretty short), but everything still looks super shiny for some reason.

I took the R-9A out for the first time in a while, but naturally I had to use Final 3 Evolved's Amazon bonus. Yep, going to hell for this one:
Spoiler

Yeah, this is the new launch area thing for Final 3 Evolved. The first time you launch from here the girl asks you if you're nervous because this is your first time departing from here, which is cool.

Anyway, I need to spend more time with this, and to buy all of the DLC, apparently. At this point I don't really think Final 3 Evolved needed to exist at all, but at least I have my first PS5 game and my first PS5 "exclusive", if it can even be called that.

Bad news: this game has occasional audio skipping. I don't remember that ever happening on prior versions of the game.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Some thoughts after spending some time with it:

I've made it to the stage 3 boss and it's okay so far, I guess. Stages 1 and 3 are okay, I guess, but nothing really special.

Stage 2 is the battleship stage. It's a ship, an actual naval vessel that travels in water, and you fly over it to kill the (respawning) cannons and then fly underneath it to kill the boss. The boss on this stage is interesting, mostly because it seems that some (most?) ships will probably not be able to kill this boss without the Force since you seem to be required to shoot behind you, so a no-Force run is still possible depending on what missiles you have, or just by time out, but ships that can't use missiles that shoot behind you won't be able to damage the boss parts to make the boss vulnerable from what I have seen. The boss constantly spawns POW Armor for you, though, so if you die you can get powered up no problem.

I ended up buying the DLC again because none of it was actually included somehow. Good thing most of it was only 22 yen. There is a new DLC Bydo ship out today, too, so I got that. I still REALLY want my Kaitei Daisensou submarine! WHERE IS IT GRANZELLA? PUT IT IN THE GAME ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!!1111!!1111111111!!11111one11111111111!1!!!11 Or maybe they did put it in already and I missed it somehow. I don't know, but I want it!

The new areas that you can run around in as your little pilot only run at ~30FPS (Why??????????????), and some of it is not yet available and is scheduled to be patched in later, so yeah, they shipped an incomplete game again. Apparently you can play some sort of online multiplayer, but I refuse to pay to play online because that shit should be free, just like how it is on PC, so I will never experience it.

Game has slowdown and stuttering in weird places. The snow on stage 2 seems to absolutely murder the framerate to low~mid 50s even though it definitely shouldn't. I hope they can fix it, but it's disappointing.

Basically unless you are a Super Hardcore R-Typer™, you probably don't need this unless you somehow don't already have Final 2. If you don't have Final 2 by this point... you probably are not a Super Hardcore R-Typer™.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Samildanach wrote:
xxx1993 wrote:I just want to know if there’s really anything new to the table, or if the final stages and endings are exactly the same as in R-Type Final 2.
There is a whole new 7 stage campaign for the R-TF 3 Evolved release. There is no indication these stages will be available on any other platform at the moment.
The bits I've seem of the new levels look pretty cool, but I suspect that anyone who didn't like the original courses will probably not be that enthralled by the new.
Then it’s official. I HAVE to get this game.
Steven

Post by Steven »

The first half of the game is nothing special. Stage 2 and the second half of stage 4 are pretty cool, though. I like those, anyway. Stages 1 and 3 are kind of super dull. The PS5 can record at 60FPS and not terrible quality, so I can put the first 4 stages up if you want to see them.

I am working on the 1CC for the new course now. I can no miss to about the end of stage 4. Haven't credit fed through the later stages, but I'm not in a rush.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Spoiler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsLNh6HxsHQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBgRfN8ZE7E

So apparently, this is the new final boss... Is it any harder or any easier than the 7.2 boss we got in Final 2? And wow, the final mission theme is an instrumental version of "Monochrome".
Lander

Post by Lander »

So the Final Final Final form of the Bydo is... An RTX pretzel?

Iunno, feels like the the symbolism-heavy endboss conceit is becoming less weighty each time they trot it out.
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

Steven wrote:The first half of the game is nothing special. Stage 2 and the second half of stage 4 are pretty cool, though. I like those, anyway. Stages 1 and 3 are kind of super dull. The PS5 can record at 60FPS and not terrible quality, so I can put the first 4 stages up if you want to see them.

I am working on the 1CC for the new course now. I can no miss to about the end of stage 4. Haven't credit fed through the later stages, but I'm not in a rush.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I haven't got a PS5 yet but still may pull the trigger on this since it would be nice to have all three Final games (kind of) in physical form, along with the soundtrack that seems to ship with it (in the UK anyway). Mainly though because I am a hopeless fan of the big four old hori shmup series (Gradius, R-Type, Darius and Thunder Force), any new releases in them get my money!
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

Lander wrote:So the Final Final Final form of the Bydo is... An RTX pretzel?

Iunno, feels like the the symbolism-heavy endboss conceit is becoming less weighty each time they trot it out.

It's an odd choice, that's for sure. I was hoping for something a bit more epic but I guess it could be worse (gives side-eye to 7.1's bizarrely empty finish)