Raiden III x MIKADO MANIAX

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Udderdude

Raiden III x MIKADO MANIAX

Post by Udderdude »

Raiden III x MIKADO MANIAX announced for PS5, Xbox Series, PS4, Xbox One, and Switch

https://www.gematsu.com/2022/10/raiden- ... and-switch

They're doing the MIKADO thing again. Except with Raiden III this time. Looks like it will be worthwhile, given that Raiden III only ever ran at 640x480 on Windows PCs (Without modification) and 480i on PS2 (The deinterlace patch doesn't help much).
Redfox

Re: Raiden III x MIKADO MANIAX

Post by Redfox »

Meh! I'd rather have an ACA port of Raiden DX at 8 dollars than this.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Mikado really likes Raiden. 8)

I don't see any mention that this version will render the game in a higher resolution though. Yes it would make perfect sense to do so, but considering Mikado Raiden IV was music and nothing else, I'll wait for confirmation this isn't just upscaled.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I too would like to see an uprez (but I don't know if that's on the table).

However I am mildly more interested in this than Raiden IV's re-re-re-rehash. Grabbers gush over it but every time I play Raiden IV the bullet wobble drives me nuts. Raiden III might be a stealth contender since it a) doesn't loop and I hate loops, and b) the screen doesn't scroll so no issues with bullets wobbling out of sync with the background.
Furry Fox Jet Pilot

Post by Furry Fox Jet Pilot »

I’m excited for the new music since Raiden III only had two good tracks in Stage 1 and 3. There’s also a mention of new features as well, I wonder if these stem from the Raiden III DX prototype board that was planned years ago. Speaking of which, does anyone know if that board was ever acquired by Shou from exa-Arcadia? I’m hoping it sees the light of day eventually.
Augemitbutter

Post by Augemitbutter »

never played III, so this is an easy physical grab.
_rm_

Post by _rm_ »

Jeneki wrote:Mikado really likes Raiden. 8)
The owner (Mr. Ikeda) even belongs to a band called Heavy Metal Raiden, you may have heard a few Raiden covers from them...
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

I've always liked Raiden III the most of the "modern" Raidens (i.e., 3/4/5 as opposed to 1/2/DX). And it's certainly the least accessible of the bunch on modern platforms, so that alone makes this release more compelling to me. Quite pleased to see this one.
heli

Post by heli »

I want this game.
Only i experience shocking framerate on their last release : raiden4xmikado on ps4.
Hoping this one is good, i dont trust it, they sold me crap before.
Austin

Post by Austin »

Actually kind of happy this is happening. Been playing the PS2 version a lot recently, but even in TATE that 480i shimmer is hard to shake. I have also played the arcade version at Round 1 recently and the image is perfectly stable in comparison, and the detail overall seems a tad better than the PS2 port. My Steam version is always acting f'ing wacky as well, so having this on a more current console will be welcome.
Atariboy

Post by Atariboy »

Interesting news. I'm looking forward to seeing what they deliver.

Isn't the story on this one of lost source code? I wonder if they've located those assets, are rebuilding it from the ground up, or have taken the substantial step to reverse engineer something like the PC code to recreate source code.

I'm sure it will be running natively at modern resolutions. If they were doing something like emulating the PS2 original, we wouldn't see things like new music tracks and the replay functionality. It would be a barebones release not going past the confines of the original, with at best the online leaderboards.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Fuck yeah. Honestly more interesting than the IV rerelease at this point. III deserves better.

Kinda seems like we're building up to a Raiden VI announcement...
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
davyK

Post by davyK »

I like Raiden III though I don't know why because it's the weakest entry. That slow ship speed and the troll green laser are 2 reasons. :)

Have the PS2 port which is expensive in Europe (runs at 60HZ and has TATE). I've only ever 1CCed it on Easy as the bullet speed soon demands exact memory for safe spots with the boss fights for me. Have it for Steam too but it keeps losing the control config for my stick and I have to keep resetting it. I'll likely just stick with the PS2 physical edition.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Nu Trailer

2/23/23
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Looks like it's definitely using a higher resolution than 640x480. lol
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

It's pretty clear Raiden is far from over. I just hope we get Raiden VI somewhere along the line.
jehu

Post by jehu »

Udderdude wrote:Looks like it's definitely using a higher resolution than 640x480. lol
Yeah, looks good I think - the snippets of the arranges sound really nice, too. An easy pickup for me.
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

Redfox wrote:Meh! I'd rather have an ACA port of Raiden DX at 8 dollars than this.
Well, if it ever happens, lol. Cause yeah, Raiden 2 and/or DX has yet to be part of the ACA family.

Either way, it seems they're updating the resolution to make it work on current gen platforms, along with the usual additions here and there. But other than the annoucement for the JP release date, here's hoping that an overseas release is not too far off, and that either UFO Interactive or NIS America gets it as usual.
I've Come to Deliver Some Bad Luck!
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

Oh hey, Ryu* is doing an arrangement for this. Neat.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

Well, pour one for vanilla Raiden III for PC (Steam and GOG), as its being delisted this weekend (as of post).

https://delistedgames.com/raiden-iii-le ... mber-31st/

Here's hoping that it means Mikado Maniax does get ported to PC like Mikado Remix (to which is almost coming out).
Austin

Post by Austin »

That’s exactly what happened with Raiden IV. Delisted but then replaced with Mikado shortly after. The same will probably happen with III.
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

NeoStrayCat wrote:Here's hoping that it means Mikado Maniax does get ported to PC like Mikado Remix (to which is almost coming out).
Confirmed to be coming to Steam:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2002 ... DO_MANIAX/
BydoR9

Post by BydoR9 »

That's great news!

Hoping the PS4 gets a UK release later this year too (Raiden IV already is).
Been playing R-Type since 1987 - Still can't get past level four!
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

Well, there it is, lol. And NISA still doing work.
davyK

Post by davyK »

I might double dip on this as original Raiden III on Steam is fiddly - I have to use keyboard mapping with my bog standard Hori ex-2 and every so often the config resets and I have to keep configuring it and sometimes it just won't work. Pain in the arse.
sunnshiner

Post by sunnshiner »

davyK wrote:I might double dip on this as original Raiden III on Steam is fiddly - I have to use keyboard mapping with my bog standard Hori ex-2 and every so often the config resets and I have to keep configuring it and sometimes it just won't work. Pain in the arse.
I had similar with my GOG versions of III and IV (they would only 'see' analog direction inputs on both 360 and XBone controllers) but found this-

https://sites.google.com/site/0dd14lab/xinput-plus

which worked to give digital directional inputs with both games.

and there's an English tutorial here-

https://www.play-old-pc-games.com/compa ... -tutorial/
davyK

Post by davyK »

Just checked there. The Control config in Steam has been updated and it seems to be better now - my stick worked no probs. Had to remap my bomb button but that was OK. I have my stick buttons mapped to keys on the keyboard. The old Raiden executable just doesn't detect the controller. I suspect the new Mikado game will be OK.
Aceskies

Post by Aceskies »

Whats the issue with Raiden IV? never played a Raiden game and I was looking for a copy recently
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Raiden IV's great. What issues? lol.