Raiden III x MIKADO MANIAX

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BydoR9

Re: Raiden III x MIKADO MANIAX

Post by BydoR9 »

Great news! Saves importing it.

Just picked up Raiden IV on PS4 - not played it yet though - assume it's exactly the same as the Switch version.
Been playing R-Type since 1987 - Still can't get past level four!
Steven

Post by Steven »

I just got back from Sato-san's free live to promote this. It was pretty fucking awesome, and it looks like Mikado streamed it live in case you want to see it: https://www.youtube.com/live/qmVBLcEOe7 ... hare&t=285

Guest guitarist who joins for the second half is Ikeda Minorock, the owner of Mikado.
Liquidus0

Post by Liquidus0 »

Steven wrote:I just got back from Sato-san's free live to promote this. It was pretty fucking awesome, and it looks like Mikado streamed it live in case you want to see it: https://www.youtube.com/live/qmVBLcEOe7 ... hare&t=285

Guest guitarist who joins for the second half is Ikeda Minorock, the owner of Mikado.
I was there as well. Very cool experience. Had a great time !
Steven

Post by Steven »

Damn, if I'd known you were there I would have introduced you to Sato-san and Uemura-san! Yeah, Uemura-san was there too. I was in the back left with Uemura-san and then I went to dinner afterwards with the band and staff and ended up having dinner with Sato-san and we talked about old games for like 3 hours. He really is a great dude.
Liquidus0

Post by Liquidus0 »

Steven wrote:Damn, if I'd known you were there I would have introduced you to Sato-san and Uemura-san! Yeah, Uemura-san was there too. I was in the back left with Uemura-san and then I went to dinner afterwards with the band and staff and ended up having dinner with Sato-san and we talked about old games for like 3 hours. He really is a great dude.
Had I known, yeah it would have been interesting! I love a good a chat about games.
Fingolfin

Post by Fingolfin »

Out now in Japan (at least via JP PSN)… but they raised the price from 3800 to 4180 yen.

https://www.gematsu.com/2022/10/raiden- ... and-switch
from October 2022

https://store.playstation.com/ja-jp/pro ... 9140973521
today 2/22/2023

Had planned on getting this: had acquired JP PSN cards for this and Ray’z but now less inclined to jump on it today. If on the offhand chance Ray’z has its digital price increased definitely need to make sure got that covered.

Besides inflation/economy (and perhaps the Mikado event last weekend ?!?) not sure why this would’ve happened. Apologies if that sounds excessively brown or cheap but @ 3800 yen it was already a bit of a stretch on this end. Looks great but don’t care a whit about the Mikado factor and additional music/OST additions.

PlayAsia’s got it @$29.99 US without shipping; at current yen to dollar valuation that matches the price uptick but a disappointment thinking to pull the trigger today.

Guess I’ll be waiting until 3/9 and Ray’z launch and probably wait for a sale for Raiden III x Mikado Maniax….
Steven

Post by Steven »

Just the other day I learned that the best version isn't even releasing for a few months, which somewhat reduced my enthusiasm for this release. Sadness, but oh well. Maybe I'll buy the Switch version for handheld mode in a few days or something and see how it is. If I am being honest, the Ray'z release on the 9th is way higher priority than any other game that I can think of right now that has a specific release date instead of a general "undetermined point in 2023" release date, but I'll get Raiden III eventually.
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

Steven wrote:Just the other day I learned that the best version isn't even releasing for a few months
What is this best version and what are the differences?
Steven

Post by Steven »

Koa Zo wrote:
Steven wrote:Just the other day I learned that the best version isn't even releasing for a few months
What is this best version and what are the differences?
The PC version, which is the best because it's on PC.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

^ LOLOL you totally had me too. I’ve actually been watching this thread wondering what mystery alternate version was on the way. Well then. Carry on.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

Anyone knows how this performs on Switch? might bite this.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Blimey :shock: Wasn't expecting that when I tabbed back to the official site.

Mildly NWS Image
Spoiler

Fairy best STG waifu Image Also EZMODE in RF games Image
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Raiden fanservice, what a time to be alive.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Fairy fanservice was in Raiden IV, funny to see it used here.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
Ebbo

Post by Ebbo »

The fairy does make a brief appearance in the ending of the original game too, so I guess this was to be expected.
BIL

Post by BIL »

What really blew my mind about Raiden III's ending was, I somehow never noticed that fallen Raiden is right there in the original game. :shock: Always too busy getting into pointblank position, with one eye on that sniper tank at five o' clock looking to bite my ass. :cool:

Pretty memorable ending, knowing that. Maybe Raiden III is the High Plains Drifter of the series.
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

Downloaded this from the eshop.

Really wanted to support this, I really missed this game.
Was living in China when it released and played it so much at the arcade. There was a guy there once at the final boss yelling like a mad man “bomba bomba bomba!” every time he used his bombs. He ended up 1cc the game and I got him a beer at the 7/11. After that we would meet there at night and would do some 2p runs along with some Tsing Tao and cigarettes. Good times

As far as ports goes. This seems pretty’s solid to me. Input feels pretty good. Seems a bit bare-bones compared to Raiden 4 Mikado since that one has 3 different modes and ships. Would be cool to have some kind of arrange…there’s the new music tracks that you unlock while you play, some are actually good other…sound pretty bad to me.
Looking forward to play some more tonight.
cfx

Post by cfx »

BIL wrote:Blimey :shock: Wasn't expecting that when I tabbed back to the official site.

Mildly NWS Image
Spoiler

Fairy best STG waifu Image Also EZMODE in RF games Image
Why couldn't they have used this for the cover of the physical versions? :D Much nicer than that generic art they used.
porchka66

Post by porchka66 »

That Artwork is used on the Japanese limited PS4 / PS5 Boxsets:
https://www.emporiumretrogamingshop.com ... ystation-4
davyK

Post by davyK »

DenimDemon wrote:Downloaded this from the eshop.

Really wanted to support this, I really missed this game.
Was living in China when it released and played it so much at the arcade. There was a guy there once at the final boss yelling like a mad man “bomba bomba bomba!” every time he used his bombs. He ended up 1cc the game and I got him a beer at the 7/11. After that we would meet there at night and would do some 2p runs along with some Tsing Tao and cigarettes. Good times

As far as ports goes. This seems pretty’s solid to me. Input feels pretty good. Seems a bit bare-bones compared to Raiden 4 Mikado since that one has 3 different modes and ships. Would be cool to have some kind of arrange…there’s the new music tracks that you unlock while you play, some are actually good other…sound pretty bad to me.
Looking forward to play some more tonight.

If you get bored there's always double mode....love the fact that there's a one pad option for this. Totally bonkers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALMl6k7grTY

....not that I'd play this with a pad.
Jaimers

Post by Jaimers »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOlx93yEaMs

Is it just me or is there way more slowdown in this than there should be?
nZero

Post by nZero »

Jaimers wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOlx93yEaMs

Is it just me or is there way more slowdown in this than there should be?
Wow, that video makes the Switch version look broken. The original Type-X arcade and 1st run Cyberfront PC version (never tried Steam ver or Nesica arcade ver, same?) had some occasional minor frame stutter when the engine got overwhelmed but never any slowdown except the intentional kind added during the boss explosions.
DenimDemon

Raiden III x MIKADO MANIAX

Post by DenimDemon »

There’s definitely some stutter on Switch version. I’ve noticed on stage 3 and 4 when things get hectic…
Playing Tate docked btw.
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

Who’s got a PS4 copy and can confirm/deny the same stuttering?
Loom1es

Post by Loom1es »

kid aphex wrote:Who’s got a PS4 copy and can confirm/deny the same stuttering?
I have the game on ps4 and its been solid, no framerate dips or stutters. I've played to stage 6. Overall I've been very impressed with the quality of the game.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Hm, I'd wondered if that might be the Switch lagging behind as usual. I'd love to pick this up to go with V and Maniax IV, but not if it performs worse than the PS2 and PC versions. Glad to hear it's solid on PS4!
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

Yeah Raiden 4 Mikado runs great on Switch (have it ps4 as well)..So this is a bit odd. Anyway I’m having good fun with the game.
BIL

Post by BIL »

That's encouraging, I'm sure they'll be able to patch it up if IV is solid. :smile:
Steven

Post by Steven »

I was going to get this on Switch, but this is disappointing. I wonder if this will work on Steam Deck, not that I have one of those.
DazTM

Post by DazTM »

I’m a bit disappointed by the slowdown on Switch as I was hoping to sell my PS2 version. I am enjoying it, but I may trade it in for the PS4 version or wait for a potential frame rate fix. I guess it comes down to how many complaints they receive.