Hazelnut Hex (Switch/PC)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
SPM

Hazelnut Hex (Switch/PC)

Post by SPM »

Trailer: https://youtu.be/JV2ZWNEQ32I

- eShop: https://www.nintendo.com/store/products ... ex-switch/
- itch.io: https://chunderfins.itch.io/hazelnut-hex
- archive.org (provided by the dev): https://archive.org/details/hazelnut_hex_1_0_0

I haven't played it much yet, but it has a unique style, a scoring mechanic à la Vulgus with the charged shot that I love, and a nice practice mode. And since the dev was kind enough to provide a free download, at least try it :D
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
DMC

Re: Hazelnut Hex (Switch/PC)

Post by DMC »

"Arcade-quality dialogue"
Steven

Post by Steven »

DMC wrote:"Arcade-quality dialogue"
EEEEEEE HURRRRRR! IT'S TIME 2 PUT IN MORE COINS MAN!!!!
SPM

Post by SPM »

yeah... hahaha (I haven't read anything so I can't tell XD you can skip it by pressing shot+bomb)

After playing a bit more... the training mode could add some QoL features, like restarting the section you're in without adjusting everything everytime, and being able to select the number of bombs as well (not just power). First impressions are still great, super fun to play trying to maximize combos :mrgreen:
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

Had a few goes on Moderate (hard). Seems great across the board. I won't personally recommend it due to it being a PIG DISGUSTING HORIZONTAL DANMAKU with NO OPTION LOCKING but other than that I can't immediately say anything bad about it at all. Maybe this is my gateway drug to the forbidden sideways yomi?
Redfox

Post by Redfox »

Looks cute! Was almost expecting to see the "Q uest" logo when I booted it up :D
SPM

Post by SPM »

Seriously, this mechanic is really fun! I may end up getting hooked on this XD
sunnshiner

Post by sunnshiner »

After a quick blast, it's pretty good. I'd prefer it if there was a separate rapid fire and you just charged your shot normally though, I think it'd feel more intuitive and more instantly playable. Also struggling to get my head round that you seem to have to leave some popcorn enemies in order to score?
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Currently 70% off on Itch.
PerishedFraud ឵឵

Post by PerishedFraud ឵឵ »

Ain't that just the blazing star scoring mechanic, but with a proper piercing shot? Neat...
Fun Over Victory| Shitpost Central | Shmusic Archive | Old Account | tuckfouhou@gmail.com
guigui

Post by guigui »

I just cant play with the charget shot, yet ? My urge to destroy everything on screen is stronger.
Apart from scoring, any interests in using charged shot ?
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
sunnshiner

Post by sunnshiner »

Yeah, I've given this a little more time and I reckon it'd be better if it there were separate fire and rapid fire buttons, I'd also prefer it if there was some kind of tighter focus shot that slows your speed (not the bomb/beam) when fire is held down. Meh. It looks nice but it doesn't play quite right for me.
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

Just got it on Sale on Nintendo Eshop. Having a great time, game is really fun and I’m enjoying finding the timing for enemy’s pattern vs charge shot.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

guigui wrote:Apart from scoring, any interests in using charged shot ?
It does cancel most enemy bullets, though it's still something you have to figure out how to work in as you get more familiar with the game even if you're not going for score (though you'll want to do that too, since that equals more extends), since letting off the fire button at an inopportune time can definitely get you overwhelmed. A more visible indicator of when the charge shot is ready, like a ring around your character, would also be helpful IMO.
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

Even though this game’s aesthetic initially turned me off, I grabbed it on sale to give it a chance and support devs that support shmups.

Great game. Really well executed. For a couple bucks, now is the time to buy.
Def recommended.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Even though this game’s aesthetic initially turned me off

Yeah, I can't look at a screenshot or vid without thinking "someone needs to adjust the tint control"
waiwainl

Post by waiwainl »

It's on sale in the eShop until 4th Jan 2023
Visit: https://shmu.ps
Experience the National Video Game Museum in the Netherlands
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

Picked this up on itch, really fun game. Fantastic bullet patterns. Going to be playing more of this to try for a 1cc, I think.

Works great on Steam Deck, btw.
beer gas canister

Post by beer gas canister »

DMC wrote:"Arcade-quality dialogue"
gotta say this has my favorite dialogue and plot in any shmup. it's actually, legitimately funny. gameplay is great too!
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

Steam version now out. -> https://store.steampowered.com/app/2474 ... elnut_Hex/

All versions have now updated to version 1.1.0. Along with a sale on all platforms until 12/8/23 to welcome the new update. Buying at itch also gives you a steam code. (Previous purchasers pre-steam release also get one too.)

Patch notes for 1.1.0. -> https://chunderfins.itch.io/hazelnut-he ... ersion-110

But yeah, this game is good, gives me Trouble Witches (and maybe Cotton) vibes, lol.
Last edited by NeoStrayCat on Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I've Come to Deliver Some Bad Luck!
AGermanArtist

Post by AGermanArtist »

One of my favourite and most played games on Switch. I'd choose this over any of the recent Cotton stuff.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Paying the slick $5.59 introductory price for Hazelnut Hex on the Steam Deck is mere chump change. Sure, I already own/play it on a Switch oled setup -- it's always cool to have the option/ability to play HH on another portable gaming platform indeed.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

Surprisingly generous to give a Steam key to people who'd already bought it, too. It'll make it easier for me to put it on my wife's Steam deck. Good excuse to get back to it!
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:14 pm Paying the slick $5.59 introductory price for Hazelnut Hex on the Steam Deck is mere chump change. Sure, I already own/play it on a Switch oled setup -- it's always cool to have the option/ability to play HH on another portable gaming platform indeed.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Speaking of Switch, it would be nice if H.H. would get a physical down the line. It screams physical, lol. (Even "Outside's" games [Cosmo Dreamer / Like Dreamer] are coming in a 2 game collection from EastAsiaSoft soon, since its going for a December release, though its a Play-Asia exclusive.)
I've Come to Deliver Some Bad Luck!