NeverAwake

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
heli

NeverAwake

Post by heli »

MommysBestGames

Re: NeverAwake

Post by MommysBestGames »

There is a demo for it on Steam.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1727180/NeverAwake/
It's pretty neat a twin-stick shooter where every stage has a slightly different thing going on.
I really like the freaky art.
Made a giant arcade-adventure: Pig Eat Ball. Also made shmup with multi-ships: Shoot 1UP DX, Gunstacking game: Serious Sam Double D XXL, and more shooters.
guigui

Post by guigui »

Auto scrolling twin stick shooter ? Never saw a game like this, sounds almost like a rail shooter.
Looks fine indeed.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

MommysBestGames wrote:I really like the freaky art.
Never woulda guessed. ;)
Creamy Goodness

Post by Creamy Goodness »

guigui wrote:Auto scrolling twin stick shooter ? Never saw a game like this, sounds almost like a rail shooter.
Looks fine indeed.
Sounds like Forgotten Worlds.
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

Out now on Steam:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1727180/NeverAwake/

I rather enjoyed their previous game, VRITRA COMPLETE EDITION, so I look forward to play this one. :)
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

guigui wrote:Auto scrolling twin stick shooter ? Never saw a game like this, sounds almost like a rail shooter.
Looks fine indeed.
Omega Five on the XBLA was an awesome example of this.
I wonder why it hasn't reappeared somehow in the current generation.
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

I'm having a great time with this one.

The visuals and soundtrack are incredibly charming.
It's like Tim Burton designed a shmup, and asked Plaid to do the soundtrack.

As for the gameplay, it's simple and accessible. The objective of the stages is to collect 100% souls. The stages are relatively short, and loop (with increasing difficulty) when you reach the end, until you collect those 100% souls (or die).

In terms of difficulty, it's an accessible game, because while things get progressively tougher, if you struggle and die you will unlock some power-ups that you can buy, and make your job a bit easier (or you can retry the stages in an "overpowered" mode when you die).

For PC users, there's a demo available on Steam, if you wish to check it out.

Again, I quite like it. :)
Austin

Post by Austin »

Kollision wrote:
Looks fine indeed.
Omega Five on the XBLA was an awesome example of this.
I wonder why it hasn't reappeared somehow in the current generation.
Omega Five is a ton of fun and that’s the first thing that came to mind when I saw the footage of this new game.

Shame that Omega hasn’t been ported to modern platforms. That said I believe it was recently relisted on the 360 and Xbox One/Series consoles, so at least it’s still accessible.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Looks great, yeah I like this style of game. A few other examples: Score Rush, Strike Witches.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
SPM

Post by SPM »

I've only heard good things about this game, will check it out on Switch
Looks fine indeed.
Mars, 1981 (maybe the first one to do this?)
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

Those who have a gaming PC should really consider checking this one out.
It's a lot of fun. :!:

A couple of weeks later, I continue to be extremely charmed by the whole gothic presentation (lovely visuals, especially in motion, and an awesome soundtrack).
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

anyone happen to know how well this runs on switch, and if the japanese physical version has english or not?
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

anyone happen to know how well this runs on switch, and if the japanese physical version has english or not?
You're going to be waiting until Jan 19th for an answer (unless there's time travelers that frequent the board)
SPM

Post by SPM »

m.sniffles.esq wrote:
You're going to be waiting until Jan 19th for an answer (unless there's time travelers that frequent the board)
I'm a time traveler, but didn't get to play it sorry. Next time!
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

I'm a time traveler, but didn't get to play it sorry. Next time!
Sorry, I meant "Time traveler with nothing better to do"
  • -Kill Hitler
    -Bet on Jets in Super Bowl III
    -See how NeverAwake plays on Switch
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

haha, oops. not quite sure how i missed that small detail.....
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

NeverAwake (PS5, PS4, Switch) – 8/8/8/10 [34/40]

Dats a good score...

I do find it a little strange that I lack the PC specs to run it, yet I'll be able to play it on the Switch. So I am curious as to how well/shitty the port runs.
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

m.sniffles.esq wrote: Dats a good score...
It's a good game. :wink:
m.sniffles.esq wrote:I do find it a little strange that I lack the PC specs to run it, yet I'll be able to play it on the Switch. So I am curious as to how well/shitty the port runs.
The game runs flawlessly on my PC, which is a bit old, and far from being particularly powerful (my graphics card is a now 6+ year old 1060GTX).
But, there's a demo available on Steam, so you can always try it and see how in runs on your PC.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Well, I have an even older 1030 (which I got at the Goodwill cpu center because it was too old for the crypto ghouls to mess with) that's nowhere near the recommend. And if I've learned one thing about PC gaming, if you don't have anything near the recommended, don't bother. Even running a demo is an annoying/frustrating experience that will put you off towards the game.

Honestly, it being hori and all, I'd prefer it on the Switch anyway.
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

m.sniffles.esq wrote:And if I've learned one thing about PC gaming, if you don't have anything near the recommended, don't bother.
I see you favour a console experience (nothing wrong with that), but as someone who basically stopped buying consoles (except the occasional mini :wink:) that's actually far from my experience. :)

Throughout the years, I kept playing games whose minimal specs were above my PCs (sometimes significantly so), and only on very rare occasions they wouldn't work (and it would usually be due to not having the necessary OS).

I'm someone who buys a new PC, or replaces a component, basically when they stop working. :mrgreen: I usually have my machines at least 10-12 years (the previous one was 15-16 years), and since I'm really not "obsessed" with running everything on max, I really don't feel like I miss out on anything.
On my current PC, a 6+ year machine, I can still run everything I throw at it at 1920x1080 on max, or just reducing shadows a bit, and I fully expect to be fine for at least 5 years more (gradually, I may need to tweak some settings, but I'll be fine; it helps I prefer to play indie titles anyway, instead of most AAA games).

I was lucky that, when I bought my components, the crypto "craze" wasn't full on, so my card was affordable (around 200€).
If I was to buy components now, getting an affordable graphics card would probably be a problem, so I'm crossing my fingers nothing breaks down in the near future. :lol:
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

I see you favour a console experience (nothing wrong with that)

It's probably my conditioning. I was mac only for a number of years, and in that period, mac ports would only be for extremely popular games, and only years after their initial releases.

When I did finally get a PC, gaming always felt off to me. I thought it was due to sitting at a desk rather than my sofa. So I got a PC for my living room, and while it improved somewhat, I still don't completely enjoy it.

Plus, there's a lot to be said about purchasing a game and knowing it will play as intended, without having to screw around with sliders, or purchase new components. (I actually have a better graphics card I bought on an Amazon sale, except I need a new power supply to use it, and the first power supply turned out to be faulty, so... I HATE THIS SHIT!!!)
Lander

Post by Lander »

Minimum / Recommended specs are more often than not defined by whatever machines the developer has to hand for testing purposes.
Perhaps it's different for high-budget or PC-centric studios that can afford a suite of bench machines, but for most - particularly indies - it's not exactly a scientific process.
FunktionJCB wrote:I was lucky that, when I bought my components, the crypto "craze" wasn't full on, so my card was affordable (around 200€).
If I was to buy components now, getting an affordable graphics card would probably be a problem, so I'm crossing my fingers nothing breaks down in the near future. :lol:
Keep them crossed. My 10-years-faithful PC died at the peak of crypto madness, and since I need a powerful machine for work there was little choice but to pay the piper. Safe to say, it left a crater in the ol' wallet :shock:

As an aside: Never trust PC builder businesses. They'll happily take your sponduli and hold it in situ, then come back with "oh sorry, we don't have stock of that part our website told you we absolutely had stock of. will a worse one do?" before making you wait a week to claim your refund and build the damn thing yourself. Charlatans! :x
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Minimum / Recommended specs are more often than not defined by whatever machines the developer has to hand for testing purposes

Minimum specs are more often than not complete horseshit pulled out of the devs ass as an example of "uhhhhh... What's something surely everybody has. If it doesn't work they can just get a refund" and based on absolutely no experience and/or testing

Recommended specs have at least a 50% chance of someone actually running the game on (but very often, those too are pulled out of ass as "Surely most people have at least this... If it doesn't work they can just get a refund")

People are often mystified as to why I find PC gaming annoying...
If a Xbox game runs like ass, it's the devs fault. They fucked up. If a PC game runs like ass, it's the users fault. They need better shit, more expensive shit, different shit.

Cyberpunk's only problem was it was released on console. If it was pc only, it would have been "What?? You tried to run it on less than a 14ghz i15 with a 112020gtx???? Of course it's fucked up... Talk to me when you actually have a computer."
-Fish-

Post by -Fish- »

Devs just updated to 1.1.0

"The long awaited "HIMITSU CHALLENGE" has been added to all stages of the game!
We have also added new accessories, so please try different combinations.

And for all the hardcore players out there, here it comes!

The HIGH SCORE RANKING is finally here. And it's cross-platform!

We look forward to seeing your scores."
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

anyone happen to know how well this runs on switch

I've come back from the future and played this on my mid-morning commute, and it seems to run perfectly smooth even when there's a ton of ghouls on screen (which does make me a bit curious as to how well the optional 'auto-aim' works, since it seems to try to surround you whenever possible).

I haven't got real far (a couple levels past the first boss) but the difficulty seems to ramp nicely. It's on the pricey side ($25), which I'm sure you're going to hear bellyaching about, but it's pretty slick (it looks like you're playing a moving comic book)--and more importantly--it's a lot of fun. It also plays very well portably, as you, the monsters, and the bullets are all a nice size. So it's a good Switch game.

The mechanics are described by FunktionJCB above, and at this early stage I'd say the game it reminds me the most of (gameplay-wise) is Forgotten Worlds. Which at least to me, is a really, really good thing.
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

thanks for the report from the future past, or past future - not too sure which.

i ended up going for the ps4 physical version in the end. safety first.
DenimDemon

NeverAwake

Post by DenimDemon »

Promised myself would get this day one on Switch. Kept my promise.
Really enjoying so far. The music and sound style tells me a lot about a game and happy to discover that not only NeverAwake looks great (controls are super responsive and runs flawlessly so far), it also sounds fantastically. Just did a few missions and look forward to play more.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

DazTM

Post by DazTM »

I’m playing this on Switch currently and it seems decent. I’ve noticed a few little hiccups on later levels when things get particularly hectic, but nothing fane-breaking so far. Been really enjoying it so far.