Squad 51 vs. the Flying Saucers (Squadron 51)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!

Looks Good?

Poll ended at Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:34 am

Yeah
75%
Nah
25%

Total votes: 4

Verticen

Squad 51 vs. the Flying Saucers (Squadron 51)

Post by Verticen »

Here’s a game that I slept on. A game with soul.
A game probably better than 'Operation Boom Beach Returns' lmao.
Squadron 51 is releasing this month.
Squadron 51 still exists, Renamed to ‘Squad 51 vs. the Flying Saucers’, and is coming out this month apparently. The game is a horizontal shooting game styilized like an earily 20th century black & white film. This game looks beautiful in motion. Gameplay elements are surprisingly easy to follow against the effects heavy background visuals.
ImageImage
No demos rn, just video trailers, but the game appears to be a competent shmup. They also seem to have recorded a number of FMVs and voice lines to go with the game. Just a PC release for now, but console versions are planned.
Likely my candidate for 2022’s shooting game of the year if the gameplay is okay. The art style has already won me over.
clippa

Re: Squad 51 vs. the Flying Saucers (Squadron 51)

Post by clippa »

There was a demo released last year when it was called Squadron 51 - https://store.steampowered.com/news/app ... 1179272205
and it was all kinds of dogshit.
FRO

Post by FRO »

I still want to play this. I suspect the actual shooting game mechanics will be basic, but 50's B-movie science fiction is rife with material that would make for an excellent shmup, so I'm hopeful this at least whets the proverbial appetite for it, and spurs more stuff like this, even if it doesn't turn out to be amazing.
SPM

Post by SPM »

The demo had some euroshmup elements to it that I didn't enjoy but I still want to play the full game at least once casually. And hopefully they've made some changes after feedback. The idea and presentation is just too cool :mrgreen:
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

This game is out now on the switch.
Honestly, not really for the most hardcore stg players… but I seriously respect how well they executed the aesthetic they were going for.
I mean… it’s really impressive.

Start to finish, it’s a fun ride. I’d buy it on sale.
Verticen

Post by Verticen »

kid aphex wrote:This game is out now on the switch.
Honestly, not really for the most hardcore stg players… but I seriously respect how well they executed the aesthetic they were going for.
I mean… it’s really impressive.
Yeah the game wins aesthetics, but gameplay turned out a little more euro than I had initially hoped. I imagine it will sell decent on switch by presentation alone.
A Mod can close this thread if they'd like, I'd say it's served its purpose.
Necronom

Post by Necronom »

I played through the campaign on PC and had a lot of fun.
Gameplay is certainly no Gradius V but solid. It's one of those breather shmups that can be played in a rather relaxed manner.
Presentation is not only beautiful but unique - they really took the term "cinematic" to a whole new level.
I really hope they someday scrap together a bigger budget and continue this route.
Nugs

Post by Nugs »

I bought it based on the aesthetic. Did not enjoy the gameplay at all.