Operation Wolf RETURNS

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BrianC

Re: Operation Wolf RETURNS

Post by BrianC »

The PCE version has a crosshair and supports the XE1-AP controller. I found out via the MiSTer discord. There's also a WIP TG-16 core that allows analog control for XE1-AP games. Funny how shooting a pig in Operation Wolf gives you ammo, when it should give you bacon.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

So is this game coming November 17th or December 13th?
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

https://www.microids.com/operation-wolf ... nd-pico-4/

Finally have a confirmed release date for this game. June 22 for VR, Fall 2023 for consoles.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

I used to play Operation Wolf at the arcades and it's cool sequel as well (with it's cool & novel haptic feedback of the Uzis themselves -- the Midway T2 arcade light gun game {circa July of 1991} was even better with it's futuristic gun setup with even stronger haptic force-feedback -- it sure packed a punch when brand new back in the day, indeed. Midway made sure that both the T2 Arcade light gun game & T2 pinball machine was out in time at the American arcades for the July 4th opening weekend debut of T2 on the silver screen). I've never seen an arcade game manufacturer promote such a high-profile & big budgeted Hollywood sci-fi film sequel like with T2 (with it's whopping unheard of $100 million dollar film production budget to get the film completed with a year's timeframe/deadline & by golly, they did the impossible with it) with two brand new arcade game titles to support the film since then (nowadays, with Disney's insane 2 billion dollar film production budget to get James Cameron's Avatar sequel done on time for it's December 2022 USA film debut is billed, currently, as the world's most expensive film produced to date). Disney's got so much $$$ to burn, they can afford to do so.

I liked Taito's Space Gun arcade light gun shooter with it's innovative foot pedal to go backwards to give the player more room to take out the aliens and end-stage bosses (reminded me of the Aliens flick that it ribbed off as a source of inspiration -- cool how you could shoot out the glass window fixtures from within inside the moon base chambers and an emergency airlock door covering would seal up the window for good).

Interesting to learn that the Operation Wolf remake will be available for the PSVR2 (but that's an additional whopping $550.00 usd extra on top of a PS5 console just to get it up & running properly) and not the PS4 based PSVR1 setup (it's still is being supported nowadays by SCEI).

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Either way, look forward to this since I’ve been a huge fan of the original game.
Marc

Post by Marc »

I just want a Virtua Cop or House of the Dead VR comp.
This looks... generic as fuck.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
BIL

Post by BIL »

Looks like dog shit tbh. I might be a little young but honey I ain't naive. Image
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Marc wrote:I just want a Virtua Cop or House of the Dead VR comp.
This looks... generic as fuck.
I personally want a console port of not just Virtua Cop 3 and House of the Dead: Scarlet Dawn, but Time Crisis 5 also. But hey, gotta support the light gun/rail shooter genre, right? I got R-Type Final 3 Evolved just to keep the shmup genre alive even though I'm not a fan of R-Type...
soupbones

Post by soupbones »

Would be awesome if they included the original - but i know that's not going to happen.

Might check this out. I’m not getting great vibes here though.
Last edited by soupbones on Tue May 16, 2023 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Every gun in this game should be an uzi, even if it shoots flames or missiles
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Maybe we’ll have other weapons in the game, like in Operation Wolf 3.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

https://youtu.be/PPLTqYc351w

Finally coming on July 13th.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Looks kinda like an XBLA game from circa 2008
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Honestly, it looks fun. I can’t wait for the standard version.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6F1KW-9meMg

Here's the first trailer for those seeking to play on VR. Though again, I'm waiting for the regular version.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

https://youtu.be/0cH4IQHaOSA

Gameplay video of the first two missions. I can’t hold in my excitement any longer. I mean, holy crap, it even has the same startup theme from the first game.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Looks very.....Microids. could be fun in VR.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Marc wrote:Looks very.....Microids. could be fun in VR.
It is, but I'm just gonna wait for the standard version. At least Microids did a much better job compared to East Technology with Operation Wolf 3. That wasn't a bad game, but it felt less like Operation Wolf and more like Lethal Enforcers, plus it was loaded with so much Engrish with dialogue like "A FEW YEARS AFTER - HUGE FORCE OF TERRORISTS - 'SKULL' - OCCUPIED SOME ISLAND - THEY ARE ARMED WITH - NUCLEAR WEAPON" or "The nuclear missile is fire. Down with it before timelimit." Oh, it even went as far as to use voice clips from movies like Lethal Weapon 3 (the purple terrorist yelling "Hey!" was taken from that movie) or Commando (one of the death screams is Sully's "U-LA-LAA!" death scream from the movie).
dmk1198

Post by dmk1198 »

Does psvr2 use aim controller?
Will this game use it on ps,4 or 5 version?
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

https://nintendoeverything.com/operatio ... september/

Physical coming September 21st. This says for the Nintendo Switch, but I don't know about the PS4 or PS5 versions.

Edit: It's indeed coming to consoles the same day, not just the Switch.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I just played it, and I have a lot of fun with it.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I can't believe I missed this gem of a thread
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

I just played it, and I have a lot of fun with it.

There's the one good review I needed.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I know, right? Again, the Internet is too harsh with it. All you gotta do is play it on Medium, and you'll have a blast. On Hard, you have no credits at all and dying results in restarting the entire act all over again. It gives us Time Crisis 1 flashbacks. Let me give people a tip: Don't bother using the machine gun or shotgun. The shotgun is rather useless, while the machine gun runs out of ammo too quickly. Use your pistol for the most part, and save the rifle for tougher enemies such as the machine gunners, tanks, and helicopters, as well as the bosses.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Don't bother using the machine gun

Wait, DON'T use the uzi??

does
not
compute

Ugh, five dollars cheaper on Steam than Switch. Wish I wasn't going through a 'fuck steam' phase. But, fuck steam
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

If you play the game, trust me. The machine gun and the shotgun won’t do any good. At least the pistol and rifle work.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

I've been working A LOT the past few days. So I've only really played it on the bus.
Do you ever have less than three continues?? The amount never seems to go down.

The pistol is good, as it seems to operate as a shotgun. In that, you can shot a half inch wide and the guy will still die.
That said, it's REALLY weak. And when every other guy starts having a life bar, yeah...

All in all, it's pretty much a fucking mess. It keeps throwing in these 'taking cover' animations like every three seconds. so you can never really get your bearings. I mean, light gun games sans a light gun already have an uphill battle. This one tries to surmount that by trying to feel like an fps. But only controlling the shooting while your hyper, erratic buddy controls movement isn't very fun.

Also, it totally WONKED a couple times (at least undocked). The worst was during the stage one boss. I could move the crosshairs, but the buttons stopped responding until death (I had two health kits I couldn't use).

PS: First stage = SIX continues, 1/5 hostages rescued (which I immediately shot). Rank?

A

What constitutes a D?
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Wait, if you're saying you're playing it on the bus, you must be playing it on the Switch. I have it on the PS5. The Switch version is considered the worst of the lot, which probably explains why.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

The Switch version is considered the worst of the lot

Honestly, it really didn't seem like the type of game one would get on anything but the Switch.

Score another one for the Unity haters, I suppose...

No idea if it has less issues docked.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Either way, all of my experiences are based on the PS5 version, and I liked it a lot. Can we at least agree the boss battles are epic, though? The first one is a shootout against an enemy soldier who has other grunts and helicopters as his backup, the second one is against a radar station that launches missiles at you Macross style, and you have to damage its antenna to hit the boss with its own missiles, the third is General Viper piloting a Hind-D helicopter against you, which resembles the one you fought at the end of the very first Operation Wolf, the fourth has you fighting a monster tank, the fifth is this giant robot spider, and the final battle is you chasing down General Viper in his plane (similar to the final battle in L.A. Machine Guns: Rage of the Machines) while he orders a fleet of Apaches, Hind-Ds, and even Harrier jets to stop you.