Radirgy 2 (PS5/PS4/SW)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
mojilove

Radirgy 2 (PS5/PS4/SW)

Post by mojilove »

"If Radirgy was so good, why isn't there a..."
Well, there is now!

https://www.gematsu.com/2022/09/radirgy ... and-switch

Teaser: https://youtu.be/LYx_l3fiH5Y
Beep's site: https://www.beep-shop.com/sap/radirgy2/

Demo playable at next week's TGS.
Published by BEEP.
PS5, PS4, and Switch.
Release date slated for Mar 28 2024

What I can glean from the screenshots so far:
- battery percentage is still a thing
- absnet has a numbered gauge (higher power absnet if you build more bars? just multiple uses? there's some sort of laser attack - maybe that's related)
- there is what looks to be a progress gauge at the very far right. i think this game will have stages as opposed to the endless layout in swag, but idk if they will be short stages like swamp or longer stuff.
- there is a timer but I don't know if you need to aim for a long time or a quick time in this game - more information needed
- the "attack statement" area is obscured by the "game still in dev" text, but the trailer shows that this area has the names of different attack types, including laser.
- OVER has been replaced by 1G/2G ... 5G ... XG, so there are multiple levels of something like over state perhaps
- the white summoning circle moves independently from the player ship in the trailer, so it might have dual stick controls like in illvelo swamp
Last edited by mojilove on Mon Oct 02, 2023 5:14 am, edited 4 times in total.
xxx1993

Re: Radirgy 2 (PS5/PS4/SW)

Post by xxx1993 »

Please give us back Shizuru Kamigusa and Ruki Mishima!
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

So Radirgy Noa is what... Radirgy 1.5?
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Liked the first two so I'm in for the third, I mean second game.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

It looks like they're sort of combining the original and SWAG
(actually, looking at the screenshots a little closer, they seem to be 95% rejiggered assets from SWAG, so we're probably looking at more of a SWAG.5 than an original 2.0)

I was kind of hoping they'd give Karous the SWAG treatment, but I guess the Radirgy license pays more rent...
Also odd they're just going the "2" route after resisting for so many years (again, rent to pay, last two games barely released in the west, etc)

So the word on the street is companies are hesitant to go to nisa for Western distro because they take a larger percentage than others. That said, the promise of a full translation with a nice LE that gets released when it's supposed to, seems... attractive.
Mero

Post by Mero »

Kiken wrote:So Radirgy Noa is what... Radirgy 1.5?

That was my first thought.
heli

Post by heli »

Insta buy if it is like the first not swag.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Dispatch Games looks up, nods, smiles.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

heli wrote:Insta buy if it is like the first not swag.
From the looks of it, get ready to not insta-buy...

Personally, I'm down. SWAG played well on the Switch's screen, the first would play terribly like all shooters of that style
heli

Post by heli »

Ok, it looks like swag with perspective, only i read swag is a loop or something not a full game.
Improved full game swag is good for me.
Ok perspective sucks.
Need bosses.

Switch i read horror-lag storys, i wont buy.
PS4 only.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Put me on the same "will buy if it plays nothing like swag" boat. msniffles is confusing the graphics for the game flow. I was disappointed in Swag's endless caravan format - it didn't do anything for me. I got into shmups because of good levels and bosses, and if you remove that then I am just not interested, thanks! Maybe Ilvello Swamp did it better, I never bothered to try.

Perspective is fine, even in Swag, these aren't really "precise dodging games" so a strict view isn't always necessary, even if it doesn't make the models look the prettiest.

Jonpachi wrote:Dispatch Games looks up, nods, smiles.
They can rest in piss as they go under (hopefully, drowning in piss). I am glad they don't have enough money to stay open and ruin any more games. McDonald's is always looking for new fry cooks.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

"I thought Swag was fun"
"No, you're wrong"

love it...
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Count me in if it plays like the first, not like the disappointment that is Noa. I think Swag is fine for what it is, but I don’t exactly need another game like it.
jehu

Post by jehu »

I was a big fan of RS34's work with Swamp, but I had a little harder time getting into Swag. Charmed me initially with the promise of 'getting to the moon,' a kind of fun and fanciful telos if getting to see it meant honing the mechanics of the game.

But then I had a few runs where I just strapped in, held down three buttons, and before I knew it I was a routine moon visitor. Top 50 scores on the leaderboard, too. I know there were conditions to turn it into an endless mode, and a few things to unlock, but I found myself wanting something more traditional, too.

This isn't a critique of Swag per se, it just wasn't what I was looking for. Put me in the 'I hope it's more traditional' camp.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

m.sniffles.esq wrote:"I thought Swag was fun"
"No, you're wrong"
do you know the difference between a normal shmup and a caravan shmup?
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

EmperorIng wrote: do you know the difference between a normal shmup and a caravan shmup?
no
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

based, carry on then!
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

EmperorIng wrote:Put me on the same "will buy if it plays nothing like swag" boat.
Let me jump on that boat before it's at capacity ;)

I'm just not very impressed with any of these post-Milestone Klon/RS34 games with non-traditional "level" structures. That goes for the endless/caravan Radirgy Swag format, as well as the bite sized mission format of Karous 3DS and Illvelo Swamp. And IDK what the 3DS Radirgy and Illvelo games were even like (thanks, hardware region restrictions).
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Karous Beast of ReEden was so awful I doubt you'd want to even see what the other 3DS games had to offer. I know I didn't!

Tickets are quickly running out for room on this lifeboat, scalpers are going to be here soon. 8)

That these other reskin games have been so bad is the only reason I am not given over to loads of hype.
mojilove

Post by mojilove »

Teaser here: https://youtu.be/LYx_l3fiH5Y
Beep's site here: https://www.beep-shop.com/sap/radirgy2/

The teaser shows a white summoning circle-style thing moving separately from the player ship, so I think this game will feature dual stick controls like swamp did.
There's also a timer in the HUD - not sure if that means it's a time attack or if it's a marathon like swag though.
The Attack Statement part has the laser and other types of attacks - maybe you can select between them or use button combinations to activate them like in swamp.
The Beep site tagline says it's a "new proposal" for shmups.

I don't think this is the return to arcade roots that people here are looking for. I enjoy the new style of the switch games (never played the 3ds games) so I'm looking forward to this.

I think swamp was more polished than swag. It was kind of like 100 small caravan stages in different sequences of 10~30 stages each - it's fun to plan a strategy for clearing the orders and getting as many points as you can in each stage.

Wish I could go to TGS to try it - hopefully we'll see a video of someone playing the demo next week though
Last edited by mojilove on Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

I don't think this is the return to arcade roots that people here are looking for.

Well, it's difficult to determine much of anything based on the media provided. But with that said, they reiterated in June they weren't interested in doing 'traditional' shooters anymore. So I'd be really surprised if the pulled such a 180° in the span of three months.

I never paid much attention to the Klon titles, and honestly didn't expect much from Swag. I merely thought that in the face of just re-re-releasing some glory of 10-15-20 years ago because you know that's what's going to separate your (small) fanbase's money from their bank accounts with the least amount of resistance, to create and release something *gasp* original even if your (small) fanbase may not *gasp* like and/or accept it? That was worth my $30 even if I played it twice.

Needless to say I (obviously erroneously) played it more than twice. And I still say (obviously erroneously) it's the probably the only game available on Switch that captures the experience and feel of 'classic' shooters, but isn't completely arduous and unpleasant to play on the Switch's screen (meaning it was actually *gasp* designed for the hardware and not designed for something that existed 20 years ago)
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

Does this mean we're getting our girl back?

heli wrote:Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?
Some-Mist

Post by Some-Mist »

I loved swag but I also treat it as a casual pick up and play caravan game. to me it was just <i>fun</i> from the get go and the first time I started triggering the over state and the endorphins were flowing I was sold
I was also a big fan of radirgy and radirgy noa massive and kinda prefer the traditional style games, but I'm in either way
EmperorIng wrote:Karous Beast of ReEden was so awful I doubt you'd want to even see what the other 3DS games had to offer. I know I didn't!
idk what this is, but the original karous sucked too, unless that was the original title or just a joke that went over my head
a creature... half solid half gas
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

original karous sucked too
lol, it plays basically exactly like Radirgy! Maybe you didn't like the gray color palette?

BoR is the 3DS cash grab they threw out with some karous 3D models and a "mission" structure instead of stages. Read: play the same stage segment 50 times in a row with the same enemy formations over and over again, with crazy missions such as "shoot all the enemies" and "stab all the enemies." Then move on to the next 50 missions. Maybe it's the type of "innovative" and evolutionary shmup design that some people might see as a breath of fresh air!
mojilove

Post by mojilove »

cj iwakura wrote:Does this mean we're getting our girl back?
Probably, but seeing that Shizuru's name gets sliced in half in the teaser, I have a bad feeling about what might happen to her in this game...

Looking at the screenshots again, I noticed that the progress gauge is at about 1/3 with 1 minute on the timer, and at about 2/3 with 2 minutes on the timer, implying that the stage is about 3 mins excluding any boss that may or may not exist. OG Radirgy stage 1 is about 2 mins before the boss.
Looks like it will have longer stages, so maybe a little bit closer to a traditional structure. We'll have to wait until TGS for more info.
Some-Mist

Post by Some-Mist »

EmperorIng wrote:
original karous sucked too
lol, it plays basically exactly like Radirgy! Maybe you didn't like the gray color palette?
I'm confused and now I think I'm talking about the wrong game

edit: lmfao I was thinking of kokuga, ignore me
I never played karous
a creature... half solid half gas
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

mojilove wrote:
Probably, but seeing that Shizuru's name gets sliced in half in the teaser, I have a bad feeling about what might happen to her in this game...
I'm worried too, if they kill off Shizuru then that would be like killing off Ryu in Street Fighter...
KAI

Post by KAI »

Shizuru is back and better than ever! The flyer even confirms this is a direct sequel to the original radirgy
The story goes like:
Shizuru was expelled from school by the government after the events of the previous game, and Tadayo is missing. A misterious girl called Shiina Mufuu appeared in front of Shizuru to help her find her lost friend
There's already some footage from the TGS version, the game looks amazing
Image Image
ImageImage

It will be a twinstick shooter like illvelo swamp but with regular arcade-like stages apparently

vids on twitter:
https://twitter.com/create_sht/status/1 ... 7000034305
https://twitter.com/charlie0816/status/ ... 2427972611
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

At this stage, looks like a twin stick version of Swag (which I'm okay with)

Edit:

I just noticed on the control diagram that it uses twin-stick control AND the face buttons. Yeeowch!
I can't understand exactly what they do--but hopefully--the shoulders take care of the standard shot and sword. Or else, that has the potential to get reeeeal awkward.

Edit 2: More thoughts (cause I'm a thoughtful guy)

-The cel-shading effects look really good (like, really good)
-I really like some of the new enemy models, and love how some of them blow apart in pieces rather that just crinkling up.
-Overall, it just looks fun
Last edited by m.sniffles.esq on Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pixelhans

Post by pixelhans »

the gameplay looks amazing!

i hope rs34 will some day return to karous thoug :o