Radiant Silvergun for Switch AVAILABLE TODAY

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Sumez

Re: Radiant Silvergun for Switch AVAILABLE TODAY

Post by Sumez »

Just did a tally, and I have over 130 PS4 games, and a lot of the ones I got on Switch I'd probably have on PS4 if the Switch didn't exist.
Not a fan of the system itself, but when it comes to the game library, I'd have to be extremely pressed to feign any sort of disappointment.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Unfortunately for the PS4, I judge modern consoles by what they can do that my PC can't do better, and in the case of the PS4, the list looks like this

M2 ShotTriggers
ACA
BD player since Windows is terrible at that

and that's about it, so I am fairly disappointed in the PS4, as it has only like 2 exclusive games that I care about that are not on PC. Switch is nice for handheld mode for stuff that is no different on PC, PS4, and Switch, like Sonic Mania, where it's the same thing in all cases aside from mods and stuff on PC, but I've spent way more time laying in bed playing Sonic Mania on Switch than I have playing it on PC in any case. Damn I love that game... just mentioning it makes me want to go play it again.

PS4 does help with stuff that is region locked on GOG and Steam, though, as that's going to be the best version of stuff that I can't buy because of the region lock. Fuck region locking. I hate that shit so much.
Last edited by Steven on Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

You mus thave forgotten about the obnoxious boss fights then. I don't feel like ever touching that game again :lol:
Steven

Post by Steven »

The boss fights are absolutely the worst thing about Sonic Mania, and one of the few things that prevent it from being the best Sonic game. I frequently will stop a playthrough to use the level select to skip the Chemical Plant Act 2 and Flying Battery Act 2 bosses because they take FOREVER, and being Super doesn't help make the Chemical Plant Act 2 boss go by any faster, sadly. The bosses aren't even hard, they are too easy and just super boring! Sonic 3 & Knuckles is forever destined to be the best Sonic game, it seems.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Steven wrote:the single most disappointing console I own, and I own both a 32X and a SuperGrafx, so that really says something
:lol: Image Same same. (poor 32X, poor SGX... but god damn, can't say no to Virtua Racing Deluxe and Aldynes :cool:)

I literally got my PS4 for one game, The Ninja Warriors Once Again, and like the aforementioned add-ons, fully expected it'd remain a TNWOA+M2 adaptor (which I was A-OK with - Natsume's return was and is a miracle, and M2 could release their own console and I'd be in from Day 1). I only tried out ACA after rovable Sumez gave his approval of Bubble Bobble, and knew Hamster must've seriously shaped up since their infamously dodgy Oretachi Gesen Zoku days on PS2. Turns out that between M2 and Hamster, the PS4 is a killer suitcase arcade platform... I still chase down PCBs of stuff I love most, because obsessed, but if that ever became impossible, their collective output could last 1CC/score chasers a lifetime. (also Bloodborne adaptor Image)

I'd love to see more devs get this stuff right, but it's a high bar to clear for games already in first-rate form (however tricky to obtain - I accepted long ago I'd be in this hobby until I fall off my chair :cool:). Were those S-Tribute releases ShotTriggers/ACA spec, I'd be hoovering them up just as happily despite technically having had them around forever... it's always good to have modern alternatives.
Steven

Post by Steven »

BIL wrote:
Steven wrote:the single most disappointing console I own, and I own both a 32X and a SuperGrafx, so that really says something
:lol: Image Same same. (poor 32X, poor SGX... but god damn, can't say no to Virtua Racing Deluxe and Aldynes :cool:)

I literally got my PS4 for one game, The Ninja Warriors Once Again, and like the aforementioned add-ons, fully expected it'd remain a TNWOA+M2 adaptor (which I was A-OK with - Natsume's return was and is a miracle, and M2 could release their own console and I'd be in from Day 1). I only tried out ACA after rovable Sumez gave his approval of Bubble Bobble, and knew Hamster must've seriously shaped up since their infamously dodgy Oretachi Gesen Zoku days on PS2. Turns out that between M2 and Hamster, the PS4 is a killer suitcase arcade platform... I still chase down PCBs of stuff I love most, because obsessed, but if that ever became impossible, their collective output could last 1CC/score chasers a lifetime. (also Bloodborne adaptor Image)

I'd love to see more devs get this stuff right, but it's a high bar to clear for games already in first-rate form (however tricky to obtain - I accepted long ago I'd be in this hobby until I fall off my chair :cool:). Were those S-Tribute releases ShotTriggers/ACA spec, I'd be hoovering them up just as happily despite technically having had them around forever... it's always good to have modern alternatives.
lol I got my PS4 for one game, too! In my case it was Metal Gear Solid V. I got my PS4 on Japanese launch day, and then about 2 weeks later Konami announced the PC version of the game. I decided to keep the PS4 for exclusive games that I wanted to play, but those never appeared... until I found M2 ShotTriggers.

I will unquestionably agree about Aldynes and Virtua Racing Deluxe, too; those are both really great games, and VRD still has some stuff that even the Switch version doesn't have. It's still a great version of Virtua Racing, even with the Switch version available. I still say 1941 Counter Attack is the best game on the SuperGrafx, but for exclusives, Aldynes is the one to have... although considering that Battle Ace and Madou King Granzort are the only other exclusives on the SuperGrafx, it isn't much of a contest lol. Those are not bad games, but if you were offered one, and only one, of the 3 SuperGrafx exclusives for free, Aldynes is easily the best option.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Oh yeah, SGX 1941 and its companion Daimakaimura are killer. Absolute craftsmanship. From historical perspective, I like to think of them as the final escalation of that arcade port rivalry the MD and PCE had going on... an SGX Strider port on the same level of 41+Dai would've been a supremely amusing last word. :mrgreen: (the Arcade Card Strider they eventually released is hilarious, too, but for unfortunately differing reasons Image)

Even better if by some licensing chicanery, they started cranking out badass ports of Golden Axe and Shinobi etc to replace the shitty card/CD efforts. :lol: Ah, jeez. For the alternate timeline where 32X+SGX were expressly for deluxe AC ports (which they kind of already are, I guess - 32X Space Harrier rocks too! and so does After Burner II if, but only if, you have an analogue stick for your MD). No outright 1:1 hardware, ala Neo or Capcom's CPS Changer, just balls-to-the-wall craft with arcade kick and lots of interesting little quirks.

(pouring one out for our noted CPS CHANGER expert JAPJAC Image Sadly long-since driven off the farm for his impetuous rudeboy ways! :shock: Two world wars and one world cup as they say down te pub :cool: I wonder if he's tried out ACA Rolling Thunder! :o I think it's fookin class, m8!)

Ah, the new ol' days 3;
CIT wrote:I dunno man, he had this PS3 launch video a while back that was like 10 seconds of the PS3, and two minutes of zooming in and out of an England flag he had printed out on a sheet of paper. :lol:
Image Image Image
guigui

Post by guigui »

Let's be weak -- it is Silvergun after all -- and let the wait begin :

Code: Select all

Products Ordered	                                            Fulfillment Status
Switch #164: Radiant Silvergun                                      Unfulfilled 
Switch #164: Radiant Silvergun Collector's Edition                  Unfulfilled 
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

LRG won't even let me order right now, claims my address exceeds 50 characters, which it doesn't, at all.
Warp_Rattler

Post by Warp_Rattler »

Sumez wrote:Regular version has a reversible cover. Fortunately the alternative looks good (outside of the logo mess along the bottom)
Yeah, this was the one EmperorIng mentioned, and it does look a lot better (also better designed to fit the dimensions of the Switch case). The logo mess is ridiculous, but what really bugs me about this one is the placement of the title logo. It feels really cramped with that little bit hanging over the artwork; they probably could have moved it down into the black if the goddamned LRG logo weren't so big. Or at least centered the title over the line between artwork/black for god's sake.

Thinking on it, I think the original-style cover could be much less offensive if they just moved the artwork flush with the top edge and got rid of the hideous blur. The artwork might not fully reach the vertical halfway point of the case, but at least then the title logo could be moved up and centered vertically in the black space to look a bit cleaner.

I mean, these are all pretty minor and petty complaints in the grand scheme of things, but despite LRG's (myriad) other flaws they're at least mostly consistent with delivering case artwork that looks decent, which for me is one of the appeals of the physical product. All of this just looks really rushed, though, like it was amateur hour at the design studio.
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

Will there be a Jp/amazon version available?
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

All this RS Switch talk and I'm tempted to get it. I'd rather not order from Limited Run, but should I get it if I have the Saturn game? Maybe I'm answering my own question. Also, I rarely play in handheld mode. I guess the main reason for me to buy the Switch game, is to be able to play it on my big screen and my Switch joystick.
SPM

Post by SPM »

DenimDemon wrote:Will there be a Jp/amazon version available?
JP yes, through superdeluxe games (which doesn't seem to ship internationally). Amazon... not likely I guess.
Warp_Rattler wrote:
Sumez wrote:Regular version has a reversible cover. Fortunately the alternative looks good (outside of the logo mess along the bottom)
what really bugs me about this one is the placement of the title logo. It feels really cramped with that little bit hanging over the artwork; they probably could have moved it down into the black if the goddamned LRG logo weren't so big. Or at least centered the title over the line between artwork/black for god's sake.
That bothers me as well, I wonder if they'll use the cover shown on the steelbook edition instead. Looks much better!
Spoiler
They have this regular cover without the blur as well in one of the pics, so maybe all this was rushed and we'll get something decent
Spoiler
Last edited by SPM on Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

guigui wrote:

Code: Select all

Fulfillment Status
Unfulfilled 
Unfulfilled 
Even the order status reads like a boss intro.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Gamer707b wrote:All this RS Switch talk and I'm tempted to get it. I'd rather not order from Limited Run, but should I get it if I have the Saturn game? Maybe I'm answering my own question. Also, I rarely play in handheld mode. I guess the main reason for me to buy the Switch game, is to be able to play it on my big screen and my Switch joystick.
Spend the money on an OSSC instead.
Warp_Rattler

Post by Warp_Rattler »

SPM wrote:
DenimDemon wrote:Will there be a Jp/amazon version available?
JP yes, through superdeluxe games (which doesn't seem to ship internationally). Amazon... not likely I guess.
I just looked at Amazon.jp out of curiosity, and it looks like all of Superdeluxe's games so far are listed there for preorder (e.g. Sol Cresta: https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/dp/B0B6F7K1J5/), with surprisingly specific release dates, given LRG and all that. So maybe Amazon is a possibility? The Superdeluxe lineup is pretty slim right now, so who's to say when they'll get around to actually putting it out.
That bothers me as well, I wonder if they'll use the cover shown on the steelbook edition instead. Looks much better!
I sort of glossed over it at first, but the image on the steelbook is new art too, isn't it? This would also look great if they'd drop those abstract red lines.
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

Sengoku Strider wrote:
Gamer707b wrote:All this RS Switch talk and I'm tempted to get it. I'd rather not order from Limited Run, but should I get it if I have the Saturn game? Maybe I'm answering my own question. Also, I rarely play in handheld mode. I guess the main reason for me to buy the Switch game, is to be able to play it on my big screen and my Switch joystick.
Spend the money on an OSSC instead.
What do you mean by OSSC?
man9child

Post by man9child »

The switch version is identical to the XBLA version from 2011, if you played that.

I picked up a wired Saturn controller for switch for this. I still ended up preferring handheld mode. It's vertizontal so it fits pretty well over most verts, I think.
defected78

Post by defected78 »

You are completely wrong as it has screen tearing after beating the first mini boss.

People are in denial about this.

Also why get excited about buying an expensive box for a digital game. Dont let the LRG keep fooling you for an unpatched / potential post patch release.

Only the saturn original is true physical release.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

I see the original RSG and the remake as different things altogether (or "different enough" things) sharing the same name, but I'd have a hard time trying to convince myself that a physical edition by an external (and opportunist) company which has nothing to do with the developer (or the development of videogames, for that matter) is meaningful to some degree. Physical format is something which should not be lost, but indeed when you don't even get the full game with it and still depend on internet downloads/connection, what's the point?
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Excuse you, THE ONLY TRUE PHYSICAL RELEASE of the game is this:

Everything else is clearly inferior and not worthy of wiping your ass with. Frankly, I'm surprised you even consider yourself a gamer if you don't play the game on real ST-V hardware. You make Hiroshi Iuchi-sama cry for playing a port of his masterpiece.

This is satire.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

The Saturn version of Silvergun was never a port, though. It just was released a bit later.
DMC

Post by DMC »

Ikaruga is a damn fine port of Radiant Silvergun despite the loss of color.
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

Gamer707b wrote:What do you mean by OSSC?
The Open Source Scan Converter is an upscaler device that allows you to use older, pre-HD hardware on HD displays. It takes raw RGB low-res input (from your Saturn, in this case) and turns it into very high-quality HDMI for your TV.

There's also the RetroTink 5x that does the same thing, and from what I've heard, that one is the better option.
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

OmegaFlareX wrote:
Gamer707b wrote:What do you mean by OSSC?
The Open Source Scan Converter is an upscaler device that allows you to use older, pre-HD hardware on HD displays. It takes raw RGB low-res input (from your Saturn, in this case) and turns it into very high-quality HDMI for your TV.

There's also the RetroTink 5x that does the same thing, and from what I've heard, that one is the better option.
Thank you for the explanation. I might look into this.
Untitled1

Post by Untitled1 »

the game plays great on the Switch and the modern conveniences of a new console make the experience even more pleasant.

there's no way to justify the absurd prices for a used foreign language import disc, especially after the physical Switch release hits.

It's a perfectly fine way to play the game.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

OmegaFlareX wrote:There's also the RetroTink 5x that does the same thing, and from what I've heard, that one is the better option.
From what I've read this is one of those "it depends" kind of situations, I think anybody who owns either one is deliriously happy with them. The RetroTink is easier to use and plays nicer with old Nintendo stuff. The OSSC has more options for image tweaking. What made the choice for me, and I'm sure a lot of people, is that the RetroTink is really pricey costing twice as much, while also adding a bit of input lag. The OSSC meanwhile isn't an upscaler per se, it's a line doubler, and will give you an effectively instantaneous response.

There's also an upcoming OSSC Pro, which has had a ton of design input from folks on the hardware board here:

viewtopic.php?t=65892

So looking through that (admittedly huge) thread to see if the options being added there make a difference is worthwhile. They've also said they're aiming to keep it in the same price range as the current one.

All that said, I don't have any personal experience with the RetroTink, and I will say the OSSC does have its hoops to jump through - needing to dejitter some SNES games or waiting for it to catch up to in-game resolution changes. But for the most part it really is just plug & play unless you're a very particular videophile. My overall personal take in my time owning it has been that it's the nicest image I've ever seen out of standard def consoles by far, exactly what I'd want - clear and crisp without robbing sprites of the pixel bloom artists typically took into account when designing them back then. I'm quite happy with the scanlines as well. Anyone looking into either should consider their needs fully and research the scene, fortunately there are plenty of obsessives out there with YouTube channels or on message boards who are quite happy to dissect every last detail.
man9child

Post by man9child »

I wish the game got a real physical release, sure. One that's not from Limited Run, but the kind you could just walk into a store somewhere and buy. I've ordered from Limited Run in the past and regretted it. There's so long a wait between the preorder and the game shipping. And the whole model just feels like it's built entirely off of FOMO. Anything with "limited" or "collectors" in the name is kind of lame, tbh. I probably will buy RSG physical anyway because I love the game and I'm a tool.

That said, the Switch version of Silvergun is good. I've owned the Saturn, 360, and STV versions. I no longer own any of them.
Would I rather be playing the Saturn or STV version, of course, but that's as much to do with missing a CRT as anything else. The switch port is totally playable, but of course it suffers from the same thing all action/arcade games do on the switch, it's dealing with additional input delay because of the console itself.

I've never liked the hi res mode or all the lens flare nonsense, but you can turn all that off. You can even use the chunky low res HUD of the original, you're not forced to use any of the new stuff.

That said, the game is a really nice fit for portable play given the aspect ratio and bullet density. Once I figured out how I wanted the controls setup (adjusting to a new layout was the biggest hiccup for me) it was fine.
jehu

Post by jehu »

Looks like there's going to be a chiptune version of the Radiant Silvergun OST made a la the recent Livewire Cave Ports. (The chiptune CD's being sold with the Collector's Edition.)

A nice gesture, but is it going to sound good?
Warp_Rattler

Post by Warp_Rattler »

man9child wrote:That said, the game is a really nice fit for portable play given the aspect ratio and bullet density. Once I figured out how I wanted the controls setup (adjusting to a new layout was the biggest hiccup for me) it was fine.
I was pleasantly surprised at how well it works. My living room/PC setup aren't really configured for ideal STG playing at the moment (no place to set a joystick, distance from TV makes fine dodging a lot harder), so one of the big appeals of the Switch was to be able to kick back on the couch or wherever and be able to focus better. I only have a Lite, so Flip Grip-like accessories are a no-go, and unfortunately that makes most vertical STGs pretty hit or miss. Mushihimesama and ESP Galuda 2 are not great experiences because it's just too hard to focus on the small area with everything going on. I'm not having as much trouble getting into the Toaplan Arcade Garage titles though, maybe because of the different style of play/"subgenre." Given RSG's horizontal aspect I wasn't expecting to have as much trouble, and I'm happy to find that it really works as well as expected.

I don't know whether there was ever any truth to it, but there was a persistent rumor floating around in the early 2000s about a port of RSG to the GBA; it's great to finally have the promise of a portable version of the game realized.

What did you end up for the control layout? The following made the most sense to me, for the Lite's built-in buttons:
Y - Homing
B - Vulcan
A - Wide
X - Back
L - Dogfinder
R - Search Lasers
ZR - Sword

I know there were some suggestions on previous pages of the thread that assigned vulcan to one of the shoulder buttons or otherwise relied on combining two of the main shot buttons for one of the secondary shots; I tried variations on that but honestly it just confused me to the point of never managing to get the right weapon at the right time.