Radiant Silvergun for Switch AVAILABLE TODAY

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
EmperorIng

Re: Radiant Silvergun for Switch AVAILABLE TODAY

Post by EmperorIng »

A few bugs reported on launch: the bgm doesn't loop and some sfx are off. Hope that's fixed, the bgm's are like 50 seconds long and the stages all 15 minutes each...
ben.shinobi wrote: If it's a single X360 port on switch/PS4, it will be a massive deception...
Unfortunately for you ben, I don't think this was going to ever be anything other than a straight port of the 360 version to modern consoles!

I still have my saturn copy for "serious" play though :P (as serious as my scrub self can afford)

I'll have to rewatch your replays to get myself back in the mood!
jehu

Post by jehu »

EmperorIng wrote: the bgm doesn't loop. Hope that's fixed, the bgm's are like 50 seconds long and the stages all 15 minutes each...
Oof.

I'm assuming it works most of the time and bugs out only on occasion? I don't know what is is with LiveWire and sound, but they seem to always miss the mark on the first go. I still remember the prolonged period where the SFX on Mushi Switch were absolute crunchy shit. You'd think they'd have nailed it this time around after the lesson you'd hope they learned.

Oh well, I suppose there's the inevitable physical from Limited Run (if someone else doesn't pick it up) - they'll fix it all up by the time that releases.

EDIT: I'm just seeing now that Radiant Silvergun is under the 'Puzzle' section of the Switch store. I'm sure this will officially put an end to the longstanding debates about Treasure shooters' affinity with the genre. Checkmate, atheists.
Last edited by jehu on Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Is anyone giving an over/under on the frames of lags that will be inevitably complained about??

I'll put it at four if anyone wants that action...
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

m.sniffles.esq wrote:Is anyone giving an over/under on the frames of lags that will be inevitably complained about??

They hit 3 for their Cave Switch ports, so I think we're probably in good hands here. That said, I'd be curious to know what the original 360 versions clocked in as.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
jehu

Post by jehu »

m.sniffles.esq wrote:Is anyone giving an over/under on the frames of lags that will be inevitably complained about??

I'd go in on that, too. But I'd also guess 4, so maybe it's not that interesting.

At 5 frames, there will be debate sweeping over the discords about what constitutes 'unplayable.' At 6, it'll just be labelled unplayable and many 'Shitty Connection' parallels will be strewn about. At 7, expect torches and pitchforks.

EDIT: What was it on X360, anyway? That's the baseline we're working with.
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

Feels pretty responsive to me. Leaderboards are working and you can watch the other players replays.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

That whole direct was pretty awesome tbh...if you're into jrpgs & the like.

I'm sure Limited Run will jump on this, but not sure how soon it'll be. IIRC they got on Mushi pretty quickly, but took the better part of a year to get around to DFK. But maybe that was them not wanting to spam their channel with the Livewire Cave stuff all at once. I want to play this in a Switchly manner right now, but I already have it on Saturn & have a ton of other shmups to play. So I guess I'll be a grownup and wait.
Spoiler
:/
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

jehu wrote:At 6, it'll just be labelled unplayable and many 'Shitty Connection' parallels will be strewn about. At 7, expect torches and pitchforks.
I think there's a parallel between Live Wire and City Connection as they both use previous gen console ports as a basis.

I mean given Live Wire's choice of games that's a lot less annoying than it is when City Connection uses a PS1 or Saturn port as the source rather than arcade original.

It's just sort of anticlimactic if you already have the 360 versions. I mean I DLed the XBLA version of RS over 11 years ago. Yes it came out all the way back in 2011. And it's still available for 14.99 and works on the Xbox One via backwards compatibility.

So this is great news for people who haven't played the game yet or don't have an Xbox, but I'm not exactly drooling over this one.

And I'm going to put my money down for 5 frames. :lol:
Abadd

Post by Abadd »

Since it's on the switch its likely easier to emulate than the XBLA release. Be praying for PC release Soon™
jehu

Post by jehu »

I love the tradition of LiveWire surprise dropping fantastic STGs during Nintendo Directs, but I agree that I'm a little tepid on the X360 recycling we're seeing.

I've been thinking about something related that I'll like to get people's take on.

I wonder how many cycles of bringing old classics forward the community will bear before the mood sours. I would argue that our community is very committed to celebrating our genre's canon, and there's pretty widespread appreciation when older games are delivered to newer generations of consoles / Steam. STG design ages with a comparative grace, and so there's a kind of widespread reverence for the classics that makes getting them on newer platforms a genuine treat. Becomes a reason to rediscuss, reevaluate and celebrate the game's legacy - something that was particulairly evident with the recent release of Gun Frontier. But,as Rastan's suggesting, we've seen a lot of this before. How many more cycles will we see? And will we all grow weary of the shmup canon? Will we be hungry for a Taito Classics Collection for PS6 ten years from now? How long can the community sustain itself on playing the same Raizing, Toaplan, Cave games?

No doubt: there's no dearth of interesting STGs coming out, but I don't think the general standard of quality is high enough to constitute a true reinvigoration of the genre. If all the best STGs from 2013-2022 are reissued in, say, 5 to 7 years, I don't know if the enthusiasm is going to be there at the same level.

I guess I'm just speculating on how our community will age. And I'm wondering what people think needs to happen to sustain it. Are these games inexhaustable? Are the new games coming out good enough to keep things rolling for another 10-15 years? Not sure all the premises undergirding the argument are strong, but I'd like to know what people think.
Fingolfin

Post by Fingolfin »

Wonderful news to see RSG ported to Switch and hopefully PS4 soon and maybe PC!

Been playing the 360 version quite a bit this summer — along w/ Raiden Fighters Aces as always and Raystorm HD (and some CAVE here and there as well).

Radiant Silvergun is such a well developed albeit quirky shooting game (ie control/mechanics). Not a word I’d use for other arcade shooting games but RSG is Ethereal: wonderful sync between visuals, music and gameplay; very much otherworldly, spiritual, and sublime. Hauntingly beautiful. Completely immersive.

Will ponder your query jehu: need to give that some thought; quick answer for now is community will gladly accept as long as reprises are 1) good games 2) well made/reproduced and 3) not too frequently reprised.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Darn it! Seems to have disappeared from the US eShop.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Well, I guess now I have to buy it to see if I end up hating RSG as much as I did Ikaruga. :lol:

I have yet to play a "bad" Live Wire port. So, while holding off until concrete lag numbers surface is always the smart play, I think you're relatively safe to blind buy from Live Wire. I just hope that Live Wire putting out this game isn't a sign they're switching away from Cave ports. I'd really rather they handle porting more Cave games. Shitty Connection doesn't deserve them.
pablumatic

Post by pablumatic »

BrianC wrote:Darn it! Seems to have disappeared from the US eShop.
Yup. I bought it when the game first launched in the eshop, but am now getting an error screen when looking at the page:

https://www.nintendo.com/store/products ... un-switch/

Hope it returns soon for everyone else.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I ended up buying it from the JP shop. eShop credit to get it was only about 22 USD.
subcons

Radiant Silvergun for Switch AVAILABLE TODAY

Post by subcons »

Mark lag tested this for his review and this is what he came up with.

Saturn: 3 frames
X360: 4 frames
Xbox One: 5 frames

https://youtu.be/PaB7jNkg7y4&t=21m50s

This will be cool to have on Switch, especially if the lag is low. Going to wait a bit to see if a physical is announced though as I already have all of the above ways to play it.
Zeether

Post by Zeether »

Guessing part of why it was pulled was because it's kind of buggy at the moment. Watched Icarus stream it and the music didn't loop right, plus Ikaruga mode seems absent despite the description saying it's in there.
<Aquas> EDMOND DROPPED OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL TO SMOKE COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF OPIUM
<Zeether> shoe failed college again <croikle> credit feed
StarLightMoonLight

Post by StarLightMoonLight »

Hopefully it'll be back up in a few days if not by tomorrow, but it makes me wonder how much time they even put into the port in the first place given how they published it in its current state only to pull it a few hours later. It just seems unprofessional.
Steven

Post by Steven »

It's still on the Japanese eshop.

Is there a point in buying this if I already have the Saturn version other than handheld mode?

Also, can I turn off the hideous borders and shit and just have black nothingness?
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

StarLightMoonLight wrote:Hopefully it'll be back up in a few days if not by tomorrow, but it makes me wonder how much time they even put into the port in the first place given how they published it in its current state only to pull it a few hours later. It just seems unprofessional.
They probably were pressured to drop it on the day of the Nintendo Direct.
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

I’ve downloaded from the US eshop before it was pulled. Responsiveness feels pretty tight but some bugs are a bit distracting. Like the mentioned music not looping but also some sfx sounding too loud. There’s also a bit of stuttering on some transitions sections…
Hopefully it being pulled means they will iron this out…
It looks pretty cool running in handheld :)
Marc

Post by Marc »

I dontblike this game. Why have I now bought it for the third time?
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Sengoku Strider

Marc wrote:I dontblike this game. Why have I now bought it for the third time?
Give it a chance, you'll learn toblove it.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Is there a point in buying this if I already have the Saturn version other than handheld mode?
The higher resolution assets? Only if you don't have an RGB CRT, though - I always thought the game looks way better in its original form, the remade graphics never were even 720p-compliant to begin with and neither got an actual 4:3 mode for a VGA monitor.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I was replaying my saturn copy last night and raging hard at all the restarts. That first stage length is a real killer. I can't believe I made it all the way to stage 5/the battleship a year or so ago.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Bassa-Bassa wrote:
The higher resolution assets? Only if you don't have an RGB CRT, though - I always thought the game looks way better in its original form, the remade graphics never were even 720p-compliant to begin with and neither got an actual 4:3 mode for a VGA monitor.
Practice/Training options. The 360 version allows you to practice stages with a decent array of options, something you don't get on Saturn. For me, that's worth the asking price alone, even if you want to main the Saturn version, as it's a fairly tedious game to learn.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Austin

Post by Austin »

EmperorIng wrote:I was replaying my saturn copy last night and raging hard at all the restarts. That first stage length is a real killer. I can't believe I made it all the way to stage 5/the battleship a year or so ago.
The game isn't all that long in its arcade mode (about 30 - 35 minutes) despite how lengthy the levels seem. Look at it this way--if you are playing arcade mode, then there are really only three stages and a final boss after. Saturn/Story mode adds to this obviously and is more grueling as a result, but the point of that mode is saving your progress and ripping through things easily on subsequent runs after you've leveled everything up.
BEAMLORD

Post by BEAMLORD »

I dontblike it either
Sengoku Strider

Electric Underground just posted an input lag comparison of all 5 versions of the game, which is interesting because I didn't even consider there being that many:

https://youtu.be/pYBMt1WXDGM

Saturn
Xbox 360
Xbox 360 version via Xbox One
Mednafen emulation
Nintendo Switch
bcass

Post by bcass »

RSG (STV version) is supported in MAME isn't it? How is the lag in that version?