Radiant Silvergun for Switch AVAILABLE TODAY

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
el_rika

Re: Radiant Silvergun for Switch AVAILABLE TODAY

Post by el_rika »

ben.shinobi wrote:
gray117 wrote: Not really anything to say, but absolutely tip of cap to someone who's play and dedication has been a joy to me for what must have been 20 (? or nearly so, at least 15+ ? ) years at this stage. Years ahead of youtube or anything like that I can remember being schooled and inspired by downloading those superplays.
+20 years :D :o :lol:
el_rika wrote:4 frames is perfectly playable at any level.
I desagree at any level of skill.
Thinking this way is to accept the mediocrity of developers.
During the arcade golden era (80's), almost every arcade games had perfect response time, but today it is normal to accept this level of playability.
It is surely in the age of time and society.
Where did i say 4 frames is a thing to be celebrated?
I repeat, 4 frames is perfectly playable, super-players have WR-ed games with 4 (or more) frames of lag.
Of course it's not a good thing.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

guigui wrote:Also regretting that any shmup port discussion nowadays turns into 3-4-5-6-15 frames discussion. Whose fault is this ? Developpers ? LCD screen ? Players ?
I'm sure it's been around for as long as players have been able to measure it, but it's been a combination of a lot of things. Like the huge popularity of emulated mini consoles; some have noticeably slower response times than the original games (the PS1 Classic was notorious). Shmup Junkie's channel literally started as a way for him to share his thoughts to people he knew about the PC Engine Mini (he was largely a defender of it).

Some Switch ports, especially early on, seemed like they were produced with no thought or care given to technical performance. Like the Vasara collection, those games are awesome and it's great getting titles like that which hadn't seen the light of day in years. But they had like 8+ frames of delay, it feels like piloting a boat.

These debates tend to come up most contentiously around arcade ports. Games which were often balanced around arcade operators in Osaka & Tokyo complaining that their obsessive high-level whales were burning through them either too quickly, or a machine was averaging 5 minutes per 100 円 instead of 3. So they're tuned to be incredibly demanding, and a port requiring a player to be able to hit the bomb button 7 frames ahead of when they they actually need that last split second save is unreasonable. It really does unbalance the game.

This is all compounded by first parties actively trying to murder the physical game business. Instead of buying games, people are forced to buy revocable digital licenses from a platform holder that can be taken away from you at any time (GundeadLigne got delisted and that was that, when I switched PS3s I couldn't get it back). These days anybody who wants to own a physical game in a niche genre like shmups will probably have to go through boutique publishers like Limited Run or Strictly Limited. People are charging $200-300 for those Vasara Collection LEs on eBay, so it's highly relevant to players whether a current version of a game is a good one to jump in on.

And of course the elephant sitting in the corner during all of this is emulation. Advances in emulation platforms like shmuparch have put those versions ahead of most of these current-gen console ports, in some cases significantly so. This means that for many players new ports must justify their price against already existing near-perfect versions whose cost is primarily karmic rather than financial.

Last but not least some players, especially in this genre, have reflexes way beyond what the average player out there mashing their way through Assassin's Creed does. They really do seem to have a sense of minute differences in input. This has led some influencers (such as there are in a genre this niche) with high levels of skill to have a significant voice in pushing this issue. But of course, those people only have an audience for this material because of the pile of reasons above. Anybody known for measuring input lag was pelted with questions about this port from the moment it was announced as available.
el_rika wrote:I repeat, 4 frames is perfectly playable, super-players have WR-ed games with 4 (or more) frames of lag.
I mean Battle Garegga, the hardcore shmup par excellence, has 4 frames of input delay IIRC. So the notion that 4 is some unacceptable slog doesn't hold water. I also don't think a single frame of delay is observable, unless in a situation where a player knows a game backwards & forwards and so cumulatively something might seem a little off over extended play.
pulsemod

Post by pulsemod »

Sengoku Strider wrote:(GundeadLigne got delisted and that was that, when I switched PS3s I couldn't get it back).
maybe a small consolation because I don't disagree with what you wrote overall, but check your "downloads list" on the console. it shows purchase history chronologically and my friend was able to download gundeadligne far after it was delisted, without even knowing it was. of course, that does nothing for the time when the store for the console inevitably goes down, but that's what preservation via hacks helps us with, at least.
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

Sengoku Strider wrote:I also don't think a single frame of delay is observable, unless in a situation where a player knows a game backwards & forwards and so cumulatively something might seem a little off over extended play.
ACKTUALLY, this is wrong for reasons I'm sure I've explained before:
1. I can open up Yosshin's delay program and get a high success rate on identifying +1 delay frame (I often get 90% accuracy). Boom, observable, no experience necessary.
2. Humans consciously process things at roughly 75hz, so 1 frame at 60hz must have an effect. And even if it were too little to intentionally act on, your eyes are much more sensitive than that so you'll "feel" the difference anyway. In test conditions people have been recorded noticing things at 500hz (2ms).
Not that I disagree with the conclusion that there are a dozen more important elements to successful play, it's mostly about how much latency interferes with fun.

Also "advances in emulation platforms like shmuparch..." intentionally emulating the game wrong is a regression, not an advancement.
jandrogo

Post by jandrogo »

Problem here is that Mark uses a crt and the lowest lag padhack in Switch, so for everyone else using an lcd/oled and any other pad/stick out of a joycon, results will be worst.
Working in the japanese language achievement
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

He's playing Switch on a CRT? I'm not sure that does anything to reduce lag.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Sumez wrote:He's playing Switch on a CRT? I'm not sure that does anything to reduce lag.
Well, if it's a PC CRT and he just uses a DAC with no picture processing, it may do. But against a low-lag LCD I don't think it's worth the hassle - the few ms you may gain can't compensate the lose in screen size.

Anyway, after watching what this guy had to say about Groovymame and emulation in general I just can't take him seriously.

Also regretting that any shmup port discussion nowadays turns into 3-4-5-6-15 frames discussion. Whose fault is this ? Developpers ? LCD screen ? Players ?
I'd say players first and foremost? As many of those come from an era where unresponsive action games where the exception, they find the standards the industry has set for this century (LCD technology, OS-dependent consoles, analog-centric controllers...) far from adequate and are telling people. Then, research, discussions and memes happen.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Isn't that that one human who made the world's single worst R-Type Final 2 review, got well deserved criticism for it and his ignorance, and then cried to his fanboys about it?

lol
beer gas canister

Post by beer gas canister »

Coming back to US eShop on Tuesday: https://twitter.com/LiveWire_pr/status/ ... 4wFPw&s=19
davyK

Post by davyK »

Tried Strikers 1945 on Switch. Got it in the sale - not that it's expensive at full price. I've played it a bit on MAME but always fancied getting the PS1 port (as I am led to believe it's a better job than the Saturn port).

I was put off by some commentator's complaints about controller lag on the Switch port. It's 6 or 7 frames reportedly? Well. I didn't feel it. And I didn't notice any difference going to shmupMAME so clearly I am not good enough to notice. I am a just about "OK" player - have 1CCed Gigawing and Mushi Original for example. So for normal players who dedicate themselves to try and get some survival clears this felt OK - I'm using the wired mini HORI stick playing it docked on my 50" wall hung Sony. Not exactly optimal conditions (I usually play Steam on a rotated monitor or on an older console (360,pS2 etc) connected to a rotated 4:3 CRT with RGB SCART), - so maybe I won't get a 1-ALL that way. I did think I was cheated out of lives when bombing but that could well be me as it's a trademark mistake of mine. :)

The port is cheap and bare bones but decent enough value in my book (at least it keeps separate high score tables and has TATE) - especially if you haven't played it and don't have a PC for MAME.
SPM

Post by SPM »

^ at first I didn't notice it either (now with more experience I do), but I died/die way more on Switch than on MAME, and the reason is the input lag in the Psikyo ports. More people have had the same experience, I remember Ed from Bullet Heaven saying something like this as well. He felt the games were just brutal when he reviewed them but after trying a different port he got further and realised they were tough, but not as much. Do you usually get further on MAME/Steam even if you feel it controls the same?

Anyway, 5 frames in this game seems to be on the edge of "perfectly" playable (haven't tried it yet, waiting for a patch), but I think 6+ frames in fast games like Psikyo's is a different story.
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
subcons

Post by subcons »

SPM wrote:Anyway, 5 frames in this game seems to be on the edge of "perfectly" playable (haven't tried it yet, waiting for a patch), but I think 6+ frames in fast games like Psikyo's is a different story.
Yeah, as noted for RS, it’s those faster late game patterns where you’re probably going to feel 5 frames the most. Plus, you don’t get the slowdown with the newer versions.

Most Psikyo stuff has such fast bullets, the 6 frames or whatever it is just feels even more amplified. Anecdotally, I’ve played the Zerodev/CC port of Gunbird on my iPhone quite a bit (decent port if you block ads with a VPN) and it’s almost a cakewalk due to it being super responsive and having touch controls. Completely changes the balance of having a fixed speed of course, but it’s honestly kind of fun to kill time with.
davyK

Post by davyK »

SPM wrote:^ at first I didn't notice it either (now with more experience I do), but I died/die way more on Switch than on MAME, and the reason is the input lag in the Psikyo ports. More people have had the same experience, I remember Ed from Bullet Heaven saying something like this as well. He felt the games were just brutal when he reviewed them but after trying a different port he got further and realised they were tough, but not as much. Do you usually get further on MAME/Steam even if you feel it controls the same?

Anyway, 5 frames in this game seems to be on the edge of "perfectly" playable (haven't tried it yet, waiting for a patch), but I think 6+ frames in fast games like Psikyo's is a different story.

I suspect you are correct. I haven't played Strikers 1945 on MAME or Switch enough to judge. I reckon even though I don't feel it , it will still affect my results. I remember when I first played Futari on my LCD panel I found I got better results when I turned GAME mode on - I didn't feel the difference but I did better.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Back up now on the eshop

Rev.153
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
defected78

Post by defected78 »

This has vblank screen tearing issues.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

They tried to reduce latency the wrong way now?
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

Can anyone make sense of the display options? I get the difference between hires and lowres but what’s the deal with the translucent options?

Seeing some of the background seams is a bit distracting but I guess it’s to be expected with a 32-bit era game that I’ve played a ton of.

So far I’m having fun with it. A game like this deserves the M2 treatment but short of that this is a pretty good alternative.
beer gas canister

Post by beer gas canister »

Translucency options seem to apply a color filter. Try ALPHA+ in Hi-Res mode to see a major difference.
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

I play low res,mesh 1 while portable. Dig it.
ZacharyB

Post by ZacharyB »

scrilla4rella wrote:Can anyone make sense of the display options? I get the difference between hires and lowres but what’s the deal with the translucent options?

Seeing some of the background seams is a bit distracting but I guess it’s to be expected with a 32-bit era game that I’ve played a ton of.

So far I’m having fun with it. A game like this deserves the M2 treatment but short of that this is a pretty good alternative.
The original game hardware had no practical capability to create texture translucency. All see-through objects were effected with fine-mesh textures. Modern game consoles don't have this problem, which is where the "Alpha" options take the mesh and substitute it for a real translucent surface. "Mesh" is using the original-hardware textures.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

So is this Switch port quality better, worse, or the same as the 11 year old 360 port (which is backward compatible on Xbox One/Series consoles)?
subcons

Post by subcons »

hamfighterx wrote:So is this Switch port quality better, worse, or the same as the 11 year old 360 port (which is backward compatible on Xbox One/Series consoles)?
Haven’t played it myself, but I don’t think they’ve addressed the bugs yet. It’s supposedly on par with the 360 port running via BC on a One/Series at 5 frames (it’s 4 frames if you run that port on an actual 360; so 1 frame added).
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

The audio bugs were patched when they brought it back to the NA store. The music loops now and the sound effect balance is normal.
subcons

Post by subcons »

Ms. Tea wrote:The audio bugs were patched when they brought it back to the NA store. The music loops now and the sound effect balance is normal.
Oh, nice. Thanks for the info! I hadn’t seen anyone outright mention if it was fixed or not. Still going to wait and see if they do a physical release, but I will buy this at some point regardless.
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

subcons wrote:
Ms. Tea wrote:The audio bugs were patched when they brought it back to the NA store. The music loops now and the sound effect balance is normal.
Oh, nice. Thanks for the info! I hadn’t seen anyone outright mention if it was fixed or not. Still going to wait and see if they do a physical release, but I will buy this at some point regardless.
Is definitely not fixed yet. I was just playing it this evening, BGM still doesn’t loop.
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

This game is WAAAAY more complicated than I imagined... and boy is this some Guardian Heroes-era artwork.
heli wrote:Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?
guigui

Post by guigui »

cj iwakura wrote:This game is WAAAAY more complicated than I imagined... and boy is this some Guardian Heroes-era artwork.
It sure is. Main part of progressing through it is finding you own route that works, and try to stick to it.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Anyone got controller mapping suggestions for the Sega Saturn controller (or other 6 face button controllers)? I'm trying to find the most comfortable set-up, but I keep changing my mind. I kind like having sword on B so it's at center, but then again R makes a lot of sense too.

Also, dear god the UI is SO bad for button mapping in this version!
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Steven

Post by Steven »

I just use the default mapping when I play on Saturn. Lack of a 6 button controller for handheld mode is one of the main reasons that I haven't bought this yet, as I'd feel very strange playing it in handheld mode, and if I'm going to play it on my monitor, I'm just going to use the Saturn and game disc that I already own, so...
Fingolfin

Post by Fingolfin »

Jonpachi wrote:Anyone got controller mapping suggestions for the Sega Saturn controller (or other 6 face button controllers)? I'm trying to find the most comfortable set-up, but I keep changing my mind. I kind like having sword on B so it's at center, but then again R makes a lot of sense too.
Great question!

As Jonpachi’s identified, ready sword access is key. :)

Wondering what RSG masters use for controller setups.

What say you ben.shinobi et al?

Google offered this

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/60 ... n/60326744

However, curiosity/interest is still piqued; particularly wondering about arcade stick layouts.

Thanks to all for considering! :mrgreen:

Used to use the 360 controller when I first downloaded RSG but really only use console controllers for run n gun and :idea: twin stick shooters. Also 360 wireless has it’s own input issues/deficiencies.