Radiant Silvergun for Switch AVAILABLE TODAY

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Ms. Tea

Re: Radiant Silvergun for Switch AVAILABLE TODAY

Post by Ms. Tea »

jehu wrote:A nice gesture, but is it going to sound good?
That's kinda the problem with these special editions you can only buy if you order months or years in advance, right? It doesn't really matter if it's good, because you can't actually hear it until you've already paid. It almost doesn't matter if it's good at all, it just has to exist in theory to get people to order. I dunno, maybe I'm being cynical, but I'm getting pretty tired of the FOMO limited run model.
man9child

Post by man9child »

Warp_Rattler wrote:
man9child wrote:That said, the game is a really nice fit for portable play given the aspect ratio and bullet density. Once I figured out how I wanted the controls setup (adjusting to a new layout was the biggest hiccup for me) it was fine.
I was pleasantly surprised at how well it works. My living room/PC setup aren't really configured for ideal STG playing at the moment (no place to set a joystick, distance from TV makes fine dodging a lot harder), so one of the big appeals of the Switch was to be able to kick back on the couch or wherever and be able to focus better. I only have a Lite, so Flip Grip-like accessories are a no-go, and unfortunately that makes most vertical STGs pretty hit or miss. Mushihimesama and ESP Galuda 2 are not great experiences because it's just too hard to focus on the small area with everything going on. I'm not having as much trouble getting into the Toaplan Arcade Garage titles though, maybe because of the different style of play/"subgenre." Given RSG's horizontal aspect I wasn't expecting to have as much trouble, and I'm happy to find that it really works as well as expected.

I don't know whether there was ever any truth to it, but there was a persistent rumor floating around in the early 2000s about a port of RSG to the GBA; it's great to finally have the promise of a portable version of the game realized.

What did you end up for the control layout? The following made the most sense to me, for the Lite's built-in buttons:
Y - Homing
B - Vulcan
A - Wide
X - Back
L - Dogfinder
R - Search Lasers
ZR - Sword

I know there were some suggestions on previous pages of the thread that assigned vulcan to one of the shoulder buttons or otherwise relied on combining two of the main shot buttons for one of the secondary shots; I tried variations on that but honestly it just confused me to the point of never managing to get the right weapon at the right time.
I almost settled on the same exact layout as you, funny enough. Just swapping the dog finder to Y because I use that a lot and putting the regular homing shot on L because it's my least used weapon. I play most of the game with Vulcan, Wide and Back, with Search Laster on bosses for milk,

I also generally play on a Lite. I have a regular switch I leave docked, but in handheld it feels like I'm playing on a tablet. The Lite feels like a straight up Gameboy successor in the best possible way.

Y - Dog Finder
B - Vulcan
A - Wide
X - Back
L - Homing (I never use this except for 1 section of the game for chaining)
R - Search Lasers
ZR - Sword

That said, it is kind of a PITA to swap back and forth because I have to remap the controls every time I do that if I'm playing with a stick or saturn pad, but that's my own issue.
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

man9child wrote:Y - Dog Finder
Is that the unofficial term for that weapon? That's cute. I know there's at least 2 bosses where it can score a lot of weapon bonuses.
man9child

Post by man9child »

I usually play the stage 2 route. I use that weapon a fair bit.

I forget what it is actually called. I get that and the homing lasers confused every time I have to remap the stupid controls.

Parts of the R-Type boss fight. Parts of the bat in front of the moon fight (love that fight). And almost entirely on Naku, the gold snake.
guigui

Post by guigui »

Iirc Dog-Finder official name is Homing Spread. Achievable by the combination of Homing regular shot, and Spread regular shot.
Genius !
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
man9child

Post by man9child »

I've always wondered why Radiant Silvergun is kind of looked down on in the shmup community. Is it because it also appeals to normies?

It's such a good game.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

The Sega Titan ST-V cartridge of Radiant Silvergun is a meaner & leaner version of it's Sega Saturn CD-Rom counterpart as it doesn't have FMV cutscenes to deal with and is pure solid STG gameplay from beginning to the eventual conclusion (considering that it's running on the slick Sega ST-V arcade motherboard setup). I wouldn't say that this jamma arcade pcb version of RSG is looked down upon within the shmup community and remains as quite a cool arcade STG title worthy of anyone's arcade stg pcb stash alrighty. Plus it's got the classic "Insert Coin(s)" to denote that it's genuine arcade software through & through -- sounds even better if played on a candy cab endowed with stereo sound capability (especially if cranked up).

Sure, I've got RSG on the XBox 360 and even on the Series S and Series X + the Switch consoles for that mattter as well.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

man9child wrote:I've always wondered why Radiant Silvergun is kind of looked down on in the shmup community. Is it because it also appeals to normies?

It's such a good game.
I don't think it's looked down on at all. If you look at the top 25 lists from this site over the years, it's always been a mainstay. Even in the most recent one it was still hanging in there with the hardcore heavyweights:
Spoiler

Code: Select all

##. Game                                               Score  02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
01. Battle Garegga (ARC/SAT/PS4/XB1)                    8.18   +  +  *  +  +  +  =  =  =  =  =  +  =  +  +  +  +  +
02. Ketsui ~Kizuna Jigoku Tachi~ (ARC/360/PS3/PS4)      7.44   .  *  *  *  *  *  +  +  +  +  +  +  =  +  =  -  +  -
03. DoDonPachi Dai-Ou-Jou / Black Label (ARC/360/etc.)  6.28   *  +  +  +  +  =  =  ~  =  +  +  =  +  -  -  =  +  =
04. Mushihimesama Futari / 1.5 / Black Label (ARC/360)  5.98   .  .  .  .  *  *  +  ~  ~  -  -  -  -  =  +  =  -  =
05. DoDonPachi (ARC/SAT/PSX)                            5.73   -  -  -  -  -  =  -  -  =  +  =  =  +  +  -  +  -  +
06. Armed Police Batrider (ARC)                         5.19   *  *  +  *  -  +  -  -  -  -  =  =  -  -  =  +  +  +
07. Ikaruga (ARC/DC/GC/360/PC/SWI)                      4.68   -  -  -  -  -  -  +  -  +  +  +  =  +  +  +  +  -  -
08. Mushihimesama / 1.5 (ARC/PS2/360/PC)                4.51   .  .  *  +  +  +  -  +  *  +  -  +  +  +  +  +  +  +
09. Darius Gaiden (ARC/SAT/PSX/PS2/etc.)                4.39   *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  +  *  *  +  +  +  *  *  +  +
10. Crimzon Clover / World Ignition / etc. (PC/etc.)    4.23   .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  *  *  *  =  -  -  -  -  -  -
11. Batsugun / Batsugun Special (ARC/SAT)               4.19   *  +  +  *  +  +  +  +  +  -  -  +  +  +  +  +  +  *
12. Radiant Silvergun (ARC/SAT/360)                     4.080  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  +  *  +  -  -  +  -  -  =  -  -
13. Gunbird 2 (ARC/DC/SWI/PC)                           4.077  +  =  -  +  +  *  *  +  -  -  +  +  *  +  +  +  *  +
14. ESP Ra.De. / Psi (ARC/PS4/SWI)                      3.80   -  -  +  +  +  +  +  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  =  +
15. R-Type (ARC/PCE/PSX/etc.)                           3.55   -  -  -  -  *  =  +  -  +  +  +  -  -  +  +  -  +  =
16. ZeroRanger (PC)                                     3.51   .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  +  +  -
17. Cho Ren Sha 68K (PC/X68)                            3.46   *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  +
18. G-Darius (ARC/PS2/PSX/etc.)                         3.39   *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  +
19. Dangun Feveron / Fever SOS (ARC/PS4/XB1)            3.25   *  *  *  *  *  *  -  -  *  *  *  *  *  -  -  -  -  -
20. Dragon Blaze (ARC/PS2/SWI/PC)                       3.23   *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  -  -  *  *  +  *  -  *  *  *
21. Gradius V (PS2)                                     3.13   .  .  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  *  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -
22. R-Type Delta (PSX)                                  3.10   *  *  +  -  -  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  -  *  *
23. RayForce / Layer Section / etc. (ARC/PS2/SAT/etc.)  2.95   *  -  -  -  -  -  +  *  *  *  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -
24. Gradius Gaiden (PSX/PSP)                            2.76   =  -  -  -  -  -  *  -  *  +  *  *  =  -  -  -  -  -
25. Deathsmiles / Mega Black Label (ARC/360/PC)         2.75   .  .  .  .  .  *  *  ~  -  *  -  -  *  *  *  -  -  -
You might get some people who are Cave supremacists and nothing that isn't in the bullet hell style is good enough for them. Or people who react against anything that seems too procedural in how you need to go at it. But on the whole the game's been spoken of reverently since it came out AFAIK.

I think Ikaruga's the one with the rep as the soccer mom shmup that every YouTuber likes to pretend they can beat stage 2 on. It's had a number of physical releases over the years that've made it really accessible, and it came out when Treasure were at the peak of their game design street cred. Every critic knew they had to like it even if they didn't really play it for five seconds once the review was in the can. It also took the crown for best shmup on the Dreamcast, then again on the Gamecube almost by default. So it features in a lot of retro game channel lists.
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

I think RSG is a masterpiece. It is a superb (perhaps ideal?) example of what that hardware can do. Although I resented having to pay $150 in 2002 money for a single, used, game. Thankfully that's no longer an issue unless you're a collector. Also, I bounced off of Ikaruga pretty hard. The polarity mechanic short-circuits my brain.
beer gas canister

Post by beer gas canister »

I'm enjoying RSG more than Ikaruga too, though I do plan to revisit Ika later.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

I got a Normal 1CC on Iky back when it launched on DC, and have been so burned by the trials of that experience that I've never again played it since. Once I get my clear on RS, I plan to go back. Just in time for the re-release of the Switch physical too.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Warp_Rattler

Post by Warp_Rattler »

OmegaFlareX wrote:
man9child wrote:Y - Dog Finder
Is that the unofficial term for that weapon? That's cute. I know there's at least 2 bosses where it can score a lot of weapon bonuses.
Sorry, that was my attempt at being cute! All of the other weapons are pretty obvious in what they're called, but I can never remember the name of this one (I always think "lock-on" or something like that, which I know isn't right).
Sengoku Strider wrote:
I don't think it's looked down on at all. If you look at the top 25 lists from this site over the years, it's always been a mainstay. Even in the most recent one it was still hanging in there with the hardcore heavyweights:

You might get some people who are Cave supremacists and nothing that isn't in the bullet hell style is good enough for them. Or people who react against anything that seems too procedural in how you need to go at it. But on the whole the game's been spoken of reverently since it came out AFAIK.
Yeah, I'm not sure that its high reputation has ever really waned, but it definitely seems to be talked about less, possibly as a result of the trend towards bullet hell as sort of the dominant/popular form of the genre over the past decade+ or so. Back in the mid/late-2000s it still seemed to be mentioned fairly regularly (though I don't doubt the relative cost/rarity at the time probably helped its mystique a bit), but I have the impression that it stopped getting as much attention once the 360 port came out, for some weird reason. As someone else mentioned, the fairly regular Ikaruga ports to contemporary systems have helped maintain the visibility of that game, but I think with Treasure having been largely dormant for the better part of the decade RSG maybe hasn't been as visible in the recent STG renaissance of the past few years, where the genre is getting a bit more widely known outside of maniax communities like this.
man9child wrote: Y - Dog Finder
B - Vulcan
A - Wide
X - Back
L - Homing (I never use this except for 1 section of the game for chaining)
R - Search Lasers
ZR - Sword
I may try this next time I play. I honestly don't use the Homing, Search, or Dog Finder weapons all that much--Homing just seems too underpowered regardless of level (reminds me of the straight homing attack in Gunstar Heroes), and while the Search Lasers are useful for some bosses I always find myself worrying about whether it's locking on to the right parts or not. The Dog Finder I've never felt was helpful for much other than the cute nickname. Watching some superplays, though, it looks like I really need to get a lot better at all six of the weapons--I think there was one by Ben Shinobi that seemed to use most of the alts for very good effect on a number of bosses.

Speaking of superplays, does anyone know if INH is still around in any form? I always thought RSG would be perfect for one of their deluxe superplay releases, or if nothing else that it should get something along the lines of Treasure's Ikaruga Appreciate DVD.
guigui

Post by guigui »

About weapon usage, ben.shinobi tends to use Homing Spread and Search Laser often because they are more efficient than other weapons at levelling and scoring (correct me if I'm wrong ben).

Homing Spread has its number of lockable targets increasing when it levels up. And the more targets you locked at once, the more points you get. At high level and close range, this weapon has a very high power.

Search Laser is good for milking since you can attach the laser to enemies, then purposefully detach it in order not to deal too much damage, adn milk more points. If you start to use this technique, be ready for 5 minutes boss fights.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
ben.shinobi

Post by ben.shinobi »

guigui wrote:About weapon usage, ben.shinobi tends to use Homing Spread and Search Laser often because they are more efficient than other weapons at levelling and scoring (correct me if I'm wrong ben).
You're right man !! Lock-on (dog-finder...lol :lol: :lol: ) increase every 5 level of C weapon (5, 10, 15, 20...), if I remember well... (I don't play the game since many years...) it means that every 5 levels, you have an extra lock.
Warp_Rattler wrote: Speaking of superplays, does anyone know if INH is still around in any form? I always thought RSG would be perfect for one of their deluxe superplay releases, or if nothing else that it should get something along the lines of Treasure's Ikaruga Appreciate DVD.
You have both wr (stage 4 & 2) on the T3-CYR-WIZ youtube channel if you want to see. And still, there are some big mistakes (especially in stage 4 route).
Steven

Post by Steven »

ben, whatever happened to your own channel? It's dead or something! I used it to check that I had all of the secrets in Slap Fight (I did manage to find all of them on my own somehow! Still not sure about how to spawn that 1UP near the end of the desert section, though; I got it to appear twice, but I'm not sure exactly what I did), but it's gone now.
ben.shinobi

Post by ben.shinobi »

Steven wrote:ben, whatever happened to your own channel? It's dead or something! I used it to check that I had all of the secrets in Slap Fight (I did manage to find all of them on my own somehow! Still not sure about how to spawn that 1UP near the end of the desert section, though; I got it to appear twice, but I'm not sure exactly what I did), but it's gone now.
My channel has been hacked 3 weeks ago and immediatly striked by YT. I'm struggling with this fuc.... mondialist platform to recover my channel but I'm afraid that it could be lost fever. About the 2 Slap Fight guides replays, I don't even have a backup of these videos... I'm angry :evil: :evil:

PS but I got backup of all others !!
Warp_Rattler

Post by Warp_Rattler »

guigui wrote:About weapon usage, ben.shinobi tends to use Homing Spread and Search Laser often because they are more efficient than other weapons at levelling and scoring
Thanks for the details on these--I figured it was something significant but hadn't spent enough time doing the extra research as to why.
ben.shinobi wrote:You have both wr (stage 4 & 2) on the T3-CYR-WIZ youtube channel if you want to see. And still, there are some big mistakes (especially in stage 4 route).
Thanks, I'll have to check this out. I haven't spent much time digging deep into different YouTube channels, mostly because it's exhausting to wade through all the crap (even for a topic as ostensibly straightforward as superplay videos). Though even with good videos available online, those old INH and Cave and other superplay releases were a nice physical product to have (and you didn't have to worry about the capriciousness of online video platforms to ensure they remained available).

That would actually have been a nice "collector's edition" bonus for the physical release of RSG--include a little superplay DVD, sort of like Ketsui DS (without bungling the type-B run) or Gradius V. It would take a bit more actual effort than the current "infinite boxes plus a keychain" strategy, though.
Austin

Post by Austin »

man9child wrote:I've always wondered why Radiant Silvergun is kind of looked down on in the shmup community. Is it because it also appeals to normies?

It's such a good game.
I don't even think it appeals to normies. I know back in the day where I could have been considered a "normie", I didn't care for the game at all (visuals and sound aside) when I first played it. It's got a pretty steep learning curve. Glad I stuck with it though, because now it's probably my favorite STG out there.
Sengoku Strider wrote: I think Ikaruga's the one with the rep as the soccer mom shmup that every YouTuber likes to pretend they can beat stage 2 on. It's had a number of physical releases over the years that've made it really accessible, and it came out when Treasure were at the peak of their game design street cred. Every critic knew they had to like it even if they didn't really play it for five seconds once the review was in the can. It also took the crown for best shmup on the Dreamcast, then again on the Gamecube almost by default. So it features in a lot of retro game channel lists.
I was pretty much going to say the same thing. I do think Ikaruga's accessibility has been a big part of it. It was spoken pretty highly of on the 'Cube back in the day when it got a Western release, and the buzz around it kept coming back whenever it got future releases.
OmegaFlareX wrote:The polarity mechanic short-circuits my brain.
Pretty much this. As much as I love Ikaruga, every time I go back to it, it's like I have to relearn the game from the ground up. With Silvergun focusing more on traditional attacking (despite having a large arsenal at one's disposal), I've never had an issue going back to that game, even after long breaks.
man9child

Post by man9child »

I got into shmups seriously when Ikaruga came out on gamecube, and worked my way backwards towards Radiant Silvergun on Saturn, being exposed to Cave, Raizing and Psikyo through ports of Soukyugurentai, Garegga, Dodonpachi, Strikers 1945, etc.

That said, I burned out really hard on Ikaruga. To be fair, I was pretty obsessed with it for quite a long time. I got a 1CC 10 or 12 years ago and haven't so much as looked at the game since. I remember it fondly, but I don't feel the desire to go back to it.

I never really tired of Silvergun.
RobHimself

Post by RobHimself »

Has the input delay improved any since this came out on Switch? Just wondering if I should get the 360 or Switch version, looking for the lowest input lag version of the two.
man9child

Post by man9child »

I don't think there has been an update for this.
porchka66

Post by porchka66 »

New patch is live, version 1.0.4
Screen tearing issues are fixed, also feels slightly more responsive to me now.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

It's such a good game.
Responding to an old post but I think RSG is a good game, but it is not very approachable. For some people it will hit just right, but I much prefer all the simplification that came with Ikaruga. In some ways the games are opposites of each other. RSG is throws in everything but the kitchen sink at you (6 weapons!, a sword!, a leveling system!, a 3 color chaining system!) and that level of excess will be a selling point for some people. Ikaruga is pretty much the opposite and all about narrowing down what's needed and making an experience that's as tightly focused as possible, so much so that the game is very rigid in what it wants you to do.
Austin

Post by Austin »

To Far Away Times wrote:

It's such a good game.
Responding to an old post but I think RSG is a good game, but it is not very approachable. For some people it will hit just right, but I much prefer all the simplification that came with Ikaruga. In some ways the games are opposites of each other. RSG is throws in everything but the kitchen sink at you (6 weapons!, a sword!, a leveling system!, a 3 color chaining system!) and that level of excess will be a selling point for some people. Ikaruga is pretty much the opposite and all about narrowing down what's needed and making an experience that's as tightly focused as possible, so much so that the game is very rigid in what it wants you to do.
I do think Silvergun is tougher to get into. But, it's a grower. The more one plays, the more its aspects start to click, and then it becomes more interesting and addictive. Ikaruga is sort of the opposite--it's a tightly crafted journey that's far more exciting at first, but it also has a much heavier reliance on strict route memorization, so it may get more stale over time. Both are excellent games but I do prefer Silvergun's approach to gameplay and find myself coming back to it way more often than Ikaruga.
MJR

Post by MJR »

Lets just say that I keep coming back for RSG (Saturn version) time after time, while I never really wanted to touch Ikaruga after I got burned out playing the DC version to death, back in the day.
Starfighter

Post by Starfighter »

porchka66 wrote:feels slightly more responsive to me now
:shock: Anyone else picking up on this? The input delay is what's holding me back (I want the convenience of the Switch version but even then it's hard to justify the added delay from my Saturn version).
MJR

Post by MJR »

Starfighter wrote:
porchka66 wrote:feels slightly more responsive to me now
:shock: Anyone else picking up on this? The input delay is what's holding me back (I want the convenience of the Switch version but even then it's hard to justify the added delay from my Saturn version).
I just had a go on docked mode, playing on hori arcade stick & OLED tv. It felt really, really good. It was smooth and ship felt very responsive. It was quite playable.

I did have another go then at my Saturn version on CRT tv and Saturn joystick, and while it felt obviously still little bit better, the difference wasn't noticeable any more. I feel that the Switch version is now as responsive as one can reasonably expect.