Radiant Silvergun for Switch AVAILABLE TODAY

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
beer gas canister

Re: Radiant Silvergun for Switch AVAILABLE TODAY

Post by beer gas canister »

Jonpachi wrote:Anyone got controller mapping suggestions for the Sega Saturn controller (or other 6 face button controllers)? I'm trying to find the most comfortable set-up, but I keep changing my mind. I kind like having sword on B so it's at center, but then again R makes a lot of sense too.

Also, dear god the UI is SO bad for button mapping in this version!
LR Vulcan
B Sword
A Homing
Y Spread

Vulcan combines with other weapons, so putting it on the trigger makes sense. Homing and Spread need to fire while using the sword, so they should each be on an adjacent button, or maybe one on ZR.

Sub weapons mapped to taste
guigui

Post by guigui »

On a 6 face buttons controller there is not other way to play than the regular Saturn setup

XYZ
ABC

A : vulcan
B : homing
C : spread
X : B+C
Y : A+C
Z : A+B
Sword on a shoulder button.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

On the Switch Hori RAP I like:

B = Vulcan
A = Homing
Zr = Spread
Zl = Sword

One could easily put in the chorded weapons for Y, X, R. I find myself getting overwhelmed and forgetting those mappings so I go to the core 3 buttons plus sword.

I couldn't figure out how to map multiple buttons to the same action; if I do I would put Sword on everything else.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Thanks all. The UI for this is some of the very worst I've ever used. Such a convoluted mess. I'd normally use a joystick, but I'm traveling right now and only have my Saturn pad on me. Seems appropriate though!
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Kobayashi

Post by Kobayashi »

Excellent! Now I am no longer afraid of my Xbox 360 presenting the three red rings illuminated by Mrs. Death during my Radiant Silvergun matches.
pablumatic

Post by pablumatic »

Limited Run Games is offering the physical for preorder starting this Friday at three different price points.

https://twitter.com/LimitedRunGames/sta ... 5477223424

Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Oh fuck yes! I have been absolutely falling in love with this game since this Switch release. It's become my nightly ritual to spend a bit of time chipping away at my chain patterns, and I'm steadily closing in on that elusive 1CC.

Super stoked to have a physical copy that isn't some old CD I have to pay $200 for :)
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Be sure not miss out on the incredible collector's edition, which includes:

A box
Another box
A slip cover for the other box
Another-another box, that looks like a Saturn box
Another different box with the game in it
A reversible cover for the another different box

Your game is going to be fucking contained.

Also a keychain, CD soundtrack, acrylic thing and 3 pins.

This set is so dumb yet the keychain almost makes the whole thing worth it.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

That cover with Kotetsu silhouetted against the moon is pretty sweet.

I've not yet made it past Gedo (or whatever the boss with vectors is) at the end of stage 2 on the switch port. My sticking points are the section with the laser cage and the four-part wheel boss right now, that seems to cause the most trouble outside of endless stage 3 (aka stage 1) restarts.

I have not even bothered with story mode yet, I don't care until I get the 1cc.

If I manage to chain well enough through the Golets fight (which is my current strategy/goal), my levels for weapons are:

A - 23
B - 14
C - 16

or thereabouts, which I think is about enough to deal with the battleship on stage 5 and Xiga, but surviving the battleship is going to be the next biggest hurdle. Xiga is far simpler by comparison.

On a side note, up till now I have been playing mostly on the Saturn but the other night I found that both (!!!) of my Sega Saturn controllers have broken and no longer work! One was the Retrobit pad, the shoulder button broke and can no longer depress (the plastic tab snapped). I need get a replacement...
Creamy Goodness

Post by Creamy Goodness »

Of course being released by LRG. Was holding out to see if there would be a physical release, but the idea of giving them a bunch of money that they will hold onto for a year is something I am not doing again. Will probably just go digital now.
guigui

Post by guigui »

Why would they choose to make a Saturn-like box shaped like an US box ?
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
DMC

Post by DMC »

To look authentic, the US Saturn retro box should appear cracked upon arrival.
And it really screams "repro" to have the Japanese cover art pasted on a US Saturn box.
Complaining aside, standard edition is tempting.
pablumatic

Post by pablumatic »

guigui wrote:Why would they choose to make a Saturn-like box shaped like an US box ?
The U.S. Saturn and its long box games are one of the owners of Limited Run Games favorite things. So every time they get anything Saturn-adjacent they make a special box like this. They even sell Saturn case repros without games in them, or at least they used to.

I'm guessing that insert in the Saturn case they made for Radiant Silvergun is just an insert and not an actual manual.
Last edited by pablumatic on Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Untitled1

Post by Untitled1 »

ugh. did LRG plan this release schedule just to be as big a pain in the ass as possible for shmup fans?

They just did DoDonpachi last month.
and then Esp. was the month before.

spread these darned releases out a bit. really tough after exchange and shipping, especially when LRG's gonna sit on the money for 9 months...

And FOMO on Radiant Silvergun makes it an impossible skip. This is probably the most legendary shooter on the console now, and it'll be scalped to heck just like Ikaruga's release was. that thing is $250-$300 now.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

pablumatic wrote:
guigui wrote:Why would they choose to make a Saturn-like box shaped like an US box ?
The U.S. Saturn and its long box games is one of the owner's of Limited Run Games favorite things.
Just wow. Thanks for the info. I guess that explains why this company's special editions are ugly and dumb once and again. Too bad Japan can't compete anymore.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Hey man, I heard you like boxes.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Untitled1 wrote: spread these darned releases out a bit
You mean spread them out less?
They are spread out exactly far enough that you won't be able to combine more than one in an order, which is a pain in the neck, and a super expensive overhead.
Steven

Post by Steven »

It's going to be like a year and a half until you actually get this in the mail, too.
Untitled1

Post by Untitled1 »

Sumez wrote:
Untitled1 wrote: spread these darned releases out a bit
You mean spread them out less?
They are spread out exactly far enough that you won't be able to combine more than one in an order, which is a pain in the neck, and a super expensive overhead.
yeah, not sure what's worse. seems every few weeks now they're pulling a new shooter out of their arse, adding yet another unexpected expense/beating to the ol' wallet.

hopefully this is it for a while. all 3 CAVE releases done, and radiant silvergun done. yeesh.
defected78

Post by defected78 »

Funny on xbox series s through backward compatibility there is about the same lag but no tearing.

How did they not figure that out on switch
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

They do retro cases for a lot of these re-releases (or even things like Panzer Dragoon remake or Streets of Rage 4). They've done Genesis, SNES, Neo Geo & even boxes in the style of the silver Konami NES games.

But in this instance, I also look at it as something of an attempt to right the wrong of Saturn RSG never getting a Western release.
guigui

Post by guigui »

This is big no. As mentionned above, RSG cover in an US box is just blasphemy ... but I'll buy it nonetheless.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

defected78 wrote:Funny on xbox series s through backward compatibility there is about the same lag but no tearing.

How did they not figure that out on switch
Likely they did but it adds latency. Is it sure that there's screen tearing then? I haven't seen anybody else complaning(?).
Warp_Rattler

Post by Warp_Rattler »

EmperorIng wrote:That cover with Kotetsu silhouetted against the moon is pretty sweet.
It's really lovely, and it's nice to see some new artwork for the game!

The other cover, though, is pretty bad. I get that it's trying to mimic the Saturn CD case (and the title screen, in a way), but the whole design looks like some low-effort fan creation where they just yanked an 800x600 promo image off of Google, slapped it randomly over a Switch case template, and applied some "artistic" Gaussian blur. Even doing something that turns the case horizontally, like the Steelbook art (minus the weird and meaningless red lines) would be an improvement. I've never before wanted that "artwork subject to change" disclaimer to function as a hard promise.

Not that I think I actually want to deal with LRG's nonsense anymore, so it doesn't really concern me, but something about that design just hit me in a visceral way.

Live Wire had mentioned on their Twitter yesterday that there would be details about a Japanese physical edition coming later, but it seems like that's being handled by Superdeluxe, LRG's Japanese publishing arm. No word on whether this too will be subject to the same massive delays accompanying every LRG release, but it sets a bit of a grim precedent nonetheless.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

It really does feel like the last dying days of stuff like Loot Crate, where all they could muster were some bits of promo junk left over from various conventions. Regular editions seem to ship a solid two months before any of their fancy sets too, so I'm going vanilla on this one all the way.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

I checked to see if the Switch port of RSG needed an update, it did. It proceeded to d/l the latest patch at v1.03 (as of 10/13/2022). I'm not sure what changes were added to this v1.3 patch though.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
SPM

Post by SPM »

^ mostly SE and BGM fixes (music now properly loops and SE have been temporarily toned down).
https://live-wire-cstg.blogspot.com/202 ... -post.html
Sengoku Strider wrote:Be sure not miss out on the incredible collector's edition, which includes:

A box
Another box
A slip cover for the other box
Another-another box, that looks like a Saturn box
Another different box with the game in it
A reversible cover for the another different box

Your game is going to be fucking contained.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
BIL

Post by BIL »

This is all so fucking embarrassing. Pretty much why I avoided modern console releases like AIDS for a solid half-decade until ShotTriggers and ACA showed up. Screen tearing, input lag, BGM glitches, yum yum! Get the real SSF feel. Selling my Saturn copy right now. Fuck off. :lol:
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Warp_Rattler wrote:I've never before wanted that "artwork subject to change" disclaimer to function as a hard promise.
Regular version has a reversible cover. Fortunately the alternative looks good (outside of the logo mess along the bottom)
Steven

Post by Steven »

BIL wrote:This is all so fucking embarrassing. Pretty much why I avoided modern console releases like AIDS for a solid half-decade until ShotTriggers and ACA showed up. Screen tearing, input lag, BGM glitches, yum yum! Get the real SSF feel. Selling my Saturn copy right now. Fuck off. :lol:
Honestly, modern consoles are pretty much shit anyway since almost everything they have that is worth playing is on PC anyway and far better there, but then Hamster and M2 started doing these absolutely glorious releases, but only on consoles, aside from the Neo Geo and Darius stuff on PC. I've used my PS4 more in the last year and a half than I have since I got it on (Japanese) launch day, unless you want to count using it as a BD player for Star Trek, because that's basically all it was from 2014-2020 or so.

Now that I've started playing arcade games seriously for the first time in my life, it's gotten way more use than it did previously. Before I discovered M2 ShotTriggers, I unquestionably would have called the PS4 the single most disappointing console I own, and I own both a 32X and a SuperGrafx, so that really says something. Now the PS4 is one of my more used systems, and it's mostly because of M2 and Toaplan. Won't hesitate to let the PS4 become relegated to being a BD player again if those Embracer Toaplan releases are as awesome as it is looking like they are going to be, though.
Last edited by Steven on Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.