Tatsujin Extreme

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Steven

Tatsujin Extreme

Post by Steven »

With all of this acquisition stuff going on, I am surprised that nobody has checked Tatsujin's website, or if they did, they didn't say anything about it, but I did. It's always been pretty barren, but yesterday there was a very interesting update that says, among other things related to the acquisition, 弊社では今まで通り、旧東亜プランの著作物を管理すると共に新しいゲームタイトルの開発に邁進していきます。Here it is if you want to see it, but I'm too lazy to go put it in the Wayback Machine or whatever, so check it out before their website update, as I don't know if they will remove it: http://tatsujin.tokyo/

Maybe this is that new game that Yuge-san has been wanting to make for a while, and that it's finally going to happen.

No, I don't know what the hell is happening with Slap Fight 3671, by the way.

2023/9/14 edit:

Slap Fight 3671 is officially dead, but Tatsujin Extreme and a weird new Snow Bros are here.
Last edited by Steven on Thu Sep 14, 2023 7:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
FunktionJCB

Re: New Tatsujin game

Post by FunktionJCB »

That's what I'm hoping with the Embracer group now on board: a new game.

Their branches have a "history" of reviving IPs after acquisition, both with re-releases (which is always great, having older titles readily available, usually with quality of life improvements), but also with new content, be it DLCs, sequels, (...). And, most of them have been quite good.
For example, they re-released an enhanced edition of Titan Quest 10+ years after the original release (on Steam, it was free for existing users), and since then, they released 3 DLC expansions, 11, 13 and 15 years after the launch of the original game. They did a similar thing with Kingdoms of Amalur (re-release, plus new DLC expansion). In terms of sequels, they successfully revived series with great new entries in the Desperados and SpellForce series, for example.

Considering their history, I doubt they would have acquired Tatsujin just to oversee the Toaplan catalogue. Sooner or later, I'm hoping they will be looking into releasing new games.

I love the classics as much as the next guy, but with many of the developers behind most classic shmups alive and well, I always wondered why no company was willing to drop them some funds not for yet another re-release, but for a brand new title.
Hopefully, something good will come out of this acquisition.
Steven

Post by Steven »

I believe Yuge was talking about wanting to make a new game several years ago, though, and it hasn't happened yet. Maybe he finally decided to begin development or something.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Seems the announcement will be at Tokyo Game Show. I guess I have to go to the event now.

https://twitter.com/TATSUJIN_Games/stat ... 1041374213

This thread was made some time ago, so
Steven wrote:No, I don't know what the hell is happening with Slap Fight 3671, by the way.
Cancelled.
Leandro

Post by Leandro »

You mean it's going to be Truxton 3 or just a new game done by them?

Enviado de meu 2201116SG usando o Tapatalk
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

No way, Truxton is making a comeback?
Steven

Post by Steven »

Tatsujin = the company, not the game lol

It appears to be a sequel to some Toaplan game, though, so maybe it is a new Tatsujin game. I don't really know anything about it, and when I asked Iwabuchi about it a few months ago he said that they were not developing anything in-house or something like that. I think it's possible he just dodged the question because it wasn't time to talk about it yet, so I won't blame him if it is actually being done in-house at Tatsujin.
bcass

Post by bcass »

I would love it to be Tatsujin 3. They could fix all the things they got wrong with Tatsujin Ou. Would love for them to do it with pixel art, get Yuge to do the music again (using a sound chip) and whoever the pixel artist was on Ou.
Leandro

Post by Leandro »

Truxton 3 / Tatsujin SeiShin in the works

Enviado de meu 2201116SG usando o Tapatalk
BrainΦΠΦTemple

Post by BrainΦΠΦTemple »

tatsujin
fAtsujin
fAt sue's gin
Last edited by BrainΦΠΦTemple on Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nO-miss superplAyz i \m/ash in shmupz + mOsh w/ ur mom
berlin schOol albums | sOundcloud
new albUm:Kristallgeist
"Here is a molding synthesis creator with a strong personality. It needs to be better known." --rockliquias.com's reviEw of "kristallgeist"
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Does that mean Yuki Ito's not coming? Besides, I wonder what sequel to a Toaplan game are they gonna make? I hope it's Batsugun since it's their best one by far...
Steven

Post by Steven »

Yeah, Batsugun is the best Toaplan game by far if you ignore the existences of Out Zone, Kyuukyoku Tiger, Hishouzame, Teki-Paki, Slap Fight, Same! Same! Same!, Dash Yarou, Tatsujin, V-V, and the version of Horror Story that starts you in the USA.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Hey, those other games are good, but Batsugun felt like the one game Toaplan completely went all out before going out of business. It's like they really intended on going out with a bang.
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

Steven wrote:the version of Horror Story that starts you in the USA.
Can you elaborate on this one? Will this be part of the upcoming collection?
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

In related news, I had no idea there was a Batsugun Exa. Special Dash sounds promising... and maybe Exa Mode finally unfucks the game.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Steven

Post by Steven »

New Tatsujin game is new Tatsujin game. Looks like PS5 only for now. I will do my best to brainwash Uemura-san into getting it released on PC, but no promises.

https://www.gematsu.com/2023/09/truxton ... ed-for-ps5

I'm going to go play it at Tokyo Game Show, so I'll give impressions when I can. It seems Joker Jun is involved, which is always a great thing.

Oh, and there is also a weird new Snow Bros too.

https://www.gematsu.com/2023/09/snow-br ... and-switch
pablumatic

Re: Tatsujin Extreme

Post by pablumatic »

Looks good to me from the trailer. I'll definitely be on the lookout next year.

Wonder if this is confirmation of the next Toaplan M2 release being the original Tatsujin games. Best time for them to come out.
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

huh. interesting. really hope it's not ps5-only
Steven

Post by Steven »

I think I read something wrong somewhere; this might not be playable at TGS. I'll still ask whoever is there about it if possible, preferably Yuge-san if he's there.

I wonder what that green bar on the HUD is. It looks like it might be an HP meter, and I know everyone hates those.

The press release has some cool posters that are super tiny, but they look cool. That's kind of redundant, but you know what I mean.

Marc

Post by Marc »

It looks like the most generic shit I've ever seen. Oh well, no big loss to me, I don't like the series anyway.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
_rm_

Post by _rm_ »

SavagePencil wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:22 pm
Also curious about this one. Anyone has more info?
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

Hopefully the new games might make it to PC in the future.

The trailers shown are a bit "rough", especially in terms of frame rate and visual quality.
I know the games are still being worked on, but they probably should have waited until they were in better shape, before properly showing them "in motion".

If I'm being honest, that new Snow Bros. game doesn't appear to be much fun.
Hopefully the final result will be better than what's currently being shown.

---

Tatsujin also announced a series of 25 mobile ports, with a virtual arcade interface (similar to the Capcom Arcade Stadium series):

https://www.gematsu.com/2023/09/amuseme ... os-android

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71kjeqrhQmY
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I'm probably not alone in being disappointed by how uninteresting both of these two games look (even if a new topdown snow bros was a surprise).

Nothing about these trailers manage to hype me at all, and even the logos look amateurish. All I can do is trust that some reliable Toaplan talent is behind both of them, so maybe they'll be fun?

But man, anyone not already super invested into either Tatsujin and/or Snow Bros is gonna have zero reaction to this.
Nugs

Post by Nugs »

Those trailers do not look good.
Hopefully the final product is decent.
Steven

Post by Steven »

lol Snow Bros trailers collectively have more views than the Tatsujin trailers do collectively.
FunktionJCB wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 7:06 amThe trailers shown are a bit "rough", especially in terms of frame rate and visual quality.
I know the games are still being worked on, but they probably should have waited until they were in better shape, before properly showing them "in motion".
Definitely. Both have some serious performance problems, but Snow Bros is especially rough-looking. The choice of Tatsujin footage makes the game look slow and unexciting, and the graphics are highly reminiscent of R-Type Final 2/3 Evolved.

_rm_ wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 7:05 am
SavagePencil wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:22 pm
Also curious about this one. Anyone has more info?
There are 2 versions of Horror Story. The USA start one is better. Both are in Zero Fire.
Sumez wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 7:24 amNothing about these trailers manage to hype me at all, and even the logos look amateurish. All I can do is trust that some reliable Toaplan talent is behind both of them, so maybe they'll be fun?

But man, anyone not already super invested into either Tatsujin and/or Snow Bros is gonna have zero reaction to this.
I agree with all of this.

The last time Yuge and Uemura designed a shooting game that I know of was 1944 The Loop Master, and that was 23 years ago, so it's been a very long time. I really hope everything turns out okay, but these both look super rough right now. Joker Jun's art is guaranteed to be amazing, though, so that will be cool.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

lol Snow Bros trailers collectively have more views than the Tatsujin trailers do collectively.

That's just me watching it 2,000 times

So, you're going to call that game with that bitch and her racoon a 'shmup' but not give it up for my boys?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CxcQSThObU&t=12s

I see how that works. No, it's cool...
cfx

Post by cfx »

Sumez wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 7:24 am I'm probably not alone in being disappointed by how uninteresting both of these two games look (even if a new topdown snow bros was a surprise).

Nothing about these trailers manage to hype me at all, and even the logos look amateurish. All I can do is trust that some reliable Toaplan talent is behind both of them, so maybe they'll be fun?

Agreed.

I think using the word "extreme" in your game title is a red flag in itself, but Tatsujin Extreme just looks really uninspired. The shiny/plasticy look to the graphics and the overall grayness of everything reminds me of Raiden III-V, which also lost all character of the previous games.

Doesn't really matter to me anyway as this and Formation Z are both skipping PS4 so it's likely finally nearing the end of anything releasing on the console, and since I have no desire to buy a PS5 and don't play PC games I won't be playing even if it does turn out interesting.
bcass

Post by bcass »

Oh, wow, very disappointing. This should have been Tatsujin 3, and it should have had pixel art and a new Yuge chiptune OST.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Remember in the cafeteria when everyone would inflate the ziplock bags their mom put their peanut butter sammichs in, and pop them all at once??

Yeah
Steven

Post by Steven »

At this point I just wish they'd cleaned up performance some more before making trailers and showed more exciting footage. I don't really think these will be bad games, but the first impression was admittedly not so great.

They also seem to have removed the English trailers, which is mildly concerning, especially because the framerate was marginally better in the English Snow Bros Trailer than the Japanese one.
bcass wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 9:45 amThis should have been Tatsujin 3
That's exactly what this is, though...