Toaplan games coming to PC (Steam, GOG)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Steven

Re: Toaplan games coming to PC (Steam, GOG)

Post by Steven »

Twin Cobra is now completely broken. I played the first 2 stages and part of stage 3 and almost none of the zako helis spawned. The big item carrier helis are okay, but the little ones just don't seem to exist anymore. Kyuukyoku Tiger is okay, which makes it even more strange.
apatheticTurd

Post by apatheticTurd »

New patch out.Lots of stuff but most of it seems related to menu, leaderboards and assistance behaviours (there are gameplay fixes for Twin Cobra).
Out Zone

Leaderboards fix: Applied Common version leaderboard score fix for Hard and Normal versions
Instrument Panel added: Showing vehicle movement, numbers of bombs, high-score, and more
Instrument Panel addition: Crate count
Menu fix: Standardized the menu appearance between all games for a more cohesive look
Settings Save fix: All settings should now save and load correctly
Menu fix: Added "Reset to Default" option for the TV color values
Assist Mode fix: Enabling Arcade Mode turns off "Show Hitboxes"
Bug fix: fixed issues where CRT and TV color values would sometimes save incorrectly
Audio filter: Optional Echo, Reverb, Low-Pass and High-Pass filters added
Bug fix: The Save/Load and Start Replay menus now scroll if you have more than eight saves or replays
Resolution fix: Allow UI scaling of 200% for exceptionally high resolution monitors
Rewind fix: Fixed issue where rewinding while recording would break and desync the recording
Replay fix: Starting a recording now prevents you from rewinding further back than from the start of the recording
Save/Load fix: The game no longer crashes when you open the save/load menu if you have more than 32 save files
Replay fix: The game no longer crashes when you open the replay menu if you have more than 32 recordings
Controller fix: Added a shortcut to open the Steam Input controller remapping window from the Input menu, if Steam Input is selected
Bug fix: Toggling fullscreen with ALT+ENTER no longer closes the pause menu
Save/Load fix: When loading quick saves players are requested to press start to assign controllers to each player
Bug fix: Fixed Insert Coin when using Raw Input and joined a game
Fullscreen fix: The game now launches in fullscreen mode if launched via Steam Big Picture Mode
Updated menu navigation: added scrolling where appropriate and improved navigation logic for menus with multiple columns
Rewind update: Added the ability to rewind faster by holding the speedup button and the rewind button simultaneously
Rewind fix: You can now fast-rewind and fast-forward with the left and right bumpers in the rewind UI
Bug fix: Fixed bug where the pause menu logo was shown in the rewind UI
Leaderboards fix: Scores achieved in Practice Mode are no longer uploaded to the leaderboards
Leaderboard fix: Entries with invalid details (area counter, shot counter etc) no longer display any details

Zero Wing

Achievement fix: Awarding Zero Wing mini boss achievements tweaked a bit
Leaderboards fix: The leaderboard checkpoint statistic is now calculated correctly in the co-op version
Menu fix: Standardized the menu appearance between all games for a more cohesive look
Bug fix: fixed issues where CRT and TV color values would sometimes save incorrectly
Bug fix: The Save/Load and Start Replay menus now scroll if you have more than eight saves or replays
Resolution fix: Allow UI scaling of 200% for exceptionally high resolution monitors
Rewind fix: Fixed issue where rewinding while recording would break and desync the recording
Replay fix: Starting a recording now prevents you from rewinding further back than from the start of the recording
Save/Load fix: The game no longer crashes when you open the save/load menu if you have more than 32 save files
Replay fix: The game no longer crashes when you open the replay menu if you have more than 32 recordings
Controller fix: Added a shortcut to open the Steam Input controller remapping window from the Input menu, if Steam Input is selected
Save/Load fix: When loading quick saves players are requested to press start to assign controllers to each player
Fullscreen fix: The game now launches in fullscreen mode if launched via Steam Big Picture Mode
Updated menu navigation: added scrolling where appropriate and improved navigation logic for menus with multiple columns
Rewind update: Added the ability to rewind faster by holding the speedup button and the rewind button simultaneously
Rewind fix: You can now fast-rewind and fast-forward with the left and right bumpers in the rewind UI
Leaderboards fix: Scores achieved in Practice Mode are no longer uploaded to the leaderboards
Leaderboard fix: Entries with invalid details (area counter, shot counter etc) no longer display any details

Truxton

Leaderboards fix: Entries should now display correct stats
Instrument Panel added: Showing vehicle movement, numbers of bombs, high-score, and more

Twin Cobra

Bug fix: Sprite alignment fixed after game over
Widescreen Mode fix: Extend game start and end curtain in Widescreen Mode
Enemy fix: Baddies are now aiming like back in the good old days
Bug fix: Enemies spawn correctly
Leaderboard fix: Entries with invalid details (area counter, shot counter etc) no longer display any details.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Kyuukyoku Tiger enemy aiming does indeed seem to be fixed, and now the safespot works as usual.

Unfortunately it seems that sound effects no longer play in Out Zone's practice mode, and dying there gives you a game over like it would in normal gameplay, complete with the name entry screen. Pretty sure it isn't supposed to do that. The tempo of the music seems too slow, though maybe it's just me. I actually remembered to record it this time just to make sure! I'll check it later.
RVY

Post by RVY »

This update amazing!
Kyukyoku Tiger feels like perfection. The new gadget is great. (I don't know much about your other games.)
Thank you very much to the developers for taking the community feedback seriously and putting in the effort to improve it.
I will continue to buy games released by Bitwave Games on Day1. I look forward to more in the future. :D
PerishedFraud ឵឵

Post by PerishedFraud ឵឵ »

sus
Fun Over Victory| Shitpost Central | Shmusic Archive | Old Account | tuckfouhou@gmail.com
BIL

Post by BIL »

Patch Notes re Kyuukyoku Tiger wrote:Enemy fix: Baddies are now aiming like back in the good old days
Keep whoever wrote that away from the keyboard; it makes your project look like a nostalgia-peddling clown show ala Digital Eclipse, as opposed to serious archival work. Particularly when it's followed by "Bug fix: Enemies spawn correctly." These aren't things to portray as fanservice.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Has anyone who didn't get a refund on this tried the patched versions? I'd love to support this, and the list of fixes is heartening, but are they still doing weird fudging with ROM versions and stuff?
Steven

Post by Steven »

Yeah, I have them all on both Steam and GOG. At this point the weird Out Zone ROM selection and the broken sound are probably the worst things about them. They have other problems, like training mode in Out Zone not having sound effects and seeming to act as if you played the game normally, including sending you to the name input screen when you die (I wonder if this shows up on the online leaderboards), and the music in Kyuukyoku Tiger's training mode seeming to always be Break a Leg!, no matter what stage I select, but they are no longer 85% broken.

I haven't really tested the new patch very much and I only tested it on Kyuukyoku Tiger and Out Zone, but I imagine the others are in a similar condition. Honestly, I am tired of testing them at this point. Someone else can do it; I will take a break for a while. I don't even want to think about it any longer.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

It's like they almost got the people to tire of the games themselves. Can't really find the difference with Digital Eclipse.
Steven

Post by Steven »

I just got tired of everything being fucking broken for no good reason as far as I can tell.

What happened? Did these get rushed out the door? Did nobody actually test these, or at the very least actually listen to how they sound? The sound was completely fucked at launch! Some audio is still completely fucked! It was so bad at launch that even if you'd never played the game before you can clearly tell that these games had broken sound because the damn music tempo would fluctuate, which it is definitely not supposed to do.

What the hell is going on with Out Zone? Why do we have the 2 oldest/shittiest ROM revisions, one of which is literally an unfinished prototype of the game, instead of the actual complete version of the game? Why did they go out of their way to add the missing music in the prototype instead of just getting the actual finished version of the game, which probably would have been easier to implement and also should have always been there from the start and somehow still isn't included? Hard version is here too, but that version is super weird.

What the hell is going on with Tatsujin? Why is the music completely broken? Why is the background the wrong color on stage 1, and how does such an oddity even happen without someone intentionally recoloring it to make it wrong? Maybe it's the wrong color later in the game as well, but I don't want to play it to find out because the sound is fucked, which is the exact reason that I haven't been playing it on the MiSTer for the past year or whatever. At this rate I'm just going to give up and go buy the PCB, get Yuge-san to sign it because fuck yeah physical games >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> digital games, and call it good.

It's very frustrating because these versions have super low input lag and they feel wonderful to actually play, but like everything else is or was broken in some fashion. Most things are fixed by now, I think, but damn... I don't even want to think about the weird enemy aiming and spawning in Kyuukyoku Tiger and Twin Cobra, but fortunately that seems to be fixed. Of course, enemy shots still travel through your helicopter in K Tiger when you die for some strange reason, but I guess that doesn't really impact the way the game plays. Sure, it's definitely not supposed to do that, but ultimately it doesn't seem to hurt anything. It might make a difference in Twin Cobra in multiplayer, but I need a second person to test it with and I really don't want to bother at this point. Not yet. Maybe in like a month or whenever, but not now.
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

Would you be willing to report all your findings to Yuge-san? At the very least, mention "I tried the PC releases and they were very bad." Maybe something can still be done.
Steven

Post by Steven »

I do not think that would be appropriate. Besides, I have only met/talked to Yuge-san once very briefly, so it would be super weird and uncomfortable if I did.

I am going to see Uemura-san in less than 2 weeks and get him to sign my Kyuukyoku Tiger PCB, so I am already planning on deliberately avoiding the subject entirely on that day lol. He's played these, so he knows the state they are in, and since he works for Yuge-san, I am pretty sure Yuge-san knows anyway. Yeah, not something I really want to talk about with those guys lol. If Uemura-san asks me about it then I'm basically just going to be like "yeah... I prefer my PCBs lol" and leave it at that.

I honestly think that Bitwave is trying super hard to fix these in any case, and they are very receptive, so I think at this point the best thing to do is to continue to send bug reports.
Leandro

Post by Leandro »

I want to meet Yuge-san and Uemura-san and get their autograph

Enviado de meu 2201116SG usando o Tapatalk
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

Steven wrote:I just got tired of everything being fucking broken for no good reason as far as I can tell.

What happened? Did these get rushed out the door? Did nobody actually test these, or at the very least actually listen to how they sound? The sound was completely fucked at launch! Some audio is still completely fucked! It was so bad at launch that even if you'd never played the game before you can clearly tell that these games had broken sound because the damn music tempo would fluctuate, which it is definitely not supposed to do.

What the hell is going on with Out Zone? Why do we have the 2 oldest/shittiest ROM revisions, one of which is literally an unfinished prototype of the game, instead of the actual complete version of the game? Why did they go out of their way to add the missing music in the prototype instead of just getting the actual finished version of the game, which probably would have been easier to implement and also should have always been there from the start and somehow still isn't included? Hard version is here too, but that version is super weird.

What the hell is going on with Tatsujin? Why is the music completely broken? Why is the background the wrong color on stage 1, and how does such an oddity even happen without someone intentionally recoloring it to make it wrong? Maybe it's the wrong color later in the game as well, but I don't want to play it to find out because the sound is fucked, which is the exact reason that I haven't been playing it on the MiSTer for the past year or whatever. At this rate I'm just going to give up and go buy the PCB, get Yuge-san to sign it because fuck yeah physical games >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> digital games, and call it good.

It's very frustrating because these versions have super low input lag and they feel wonderful to actually play, but like everything else is or was broken in some fashion. Most things are fixed by now, I think, but damn... I don't even want to think about the weird enemy aiming and spawning in Kyuukyoku Tiger and Twin Cobra, but fortunately that seems to be fixed. Of course, enemy shots still travel through your helicopter in K Tiger when you die for some strange reason, but I guess that doesn't really impact the way the game plays. Sure, it's definitely not supposed to do that, but ultimately it doesn't seem to hurt anything. It might make a difference in Twin Cobra in multiplayer, but I need a second person to test it with and I really don't want to bother at this point. Not yet. Maybe in like a month or whenever, but not now.
Good. Stop carrying water for these guys and doing their regression testing. Not ready for prime time.
MJR

Post by MJR »

I played these bit more yesterday and my own feelings have improved somewhat.

I only have Truxton PCB of all four, so I can only comment it's conversion quality; it seems to mostly fine, but the difficulty is strangely off just like in Out Zone; I have to put difficulty on lowest level (A) on all the games so that they feel like what I'm used to.
I don't see any problems with video on Truxton, and music is MOSTLY working fine, sans some hiccups and occasional weirdness with sfx.

In Out Zone, playing on lowest difficulty and game speed put to "original" makes it pretty close to Mame, but there are still some differences (the wall lasers fire much more aggressively on stage 2 even in the lowest difficulty). I was able to activate Zero Wing bonus multiple times (seems to be easier than in mame..), Pipi Bonus every time and hizshoushame planes once. Still, it's a bleeding crime and travesty that these don't give you achievements. Talk about missed opportunity here!

It's actually recommended to put the running speed on "original" in all four games.

KK Tiger feels quite close to M2 version now, I didn't find much problems playing it, except the weirdness with difficulty which is persistent in all Bitwave releases. Fortunately, you still get achievements in lowest difficulty, so if you just want to do an achievement runs, these are quite fine. If you want to do highscore runs, I would maybe stick with Mame/PCB/M2 versions, with all these oddities, I just don't see compatibility with shmups forum leaderboards. But, these have their own online leaderboards which is cool so *shrug*.

Also, I actually like it that Out Zone has separate achievements for different game versions - if you are into achievements, that is.
Still, calling the rom that is closest no normal as "common" rom (while it is still not 100% same) is like having a small stone in your shoe. If you pay mind to it, it drives you crazy.
pieslice

Post by pieslice »

MJR wrote: I was able to activate Zero Wing bonus multiple times (seems to be easier than in mame..), Pipi Bonus every time and hizshoushame planes once.
The Zero Wing bonus behaves exactly as described in the Strategy sub-forum thread (They appear after collecting every 8 C pickups (8, 16, 24, etc...; the value is reset after losing a life). You can enable the helper border view to see # of C items you've picked up. I'm pretty positive the Pipi and flying shark squadron are similar to MAME as well.
Steven

Post by Steven »

I tried Out Zone just now to see how much better it is and I noticed on stage 3 that when the slowdown gets really bad in the laser turret hallway thing that my 30Hz stopped working. Looks like they didn't make this a synchronized autofire, so you might end up in a situation where you just can't shoot because of the slowdown.

I guess I will try Tatsujin and see how that is, as I have spent very little time with that game in general.

Oh hey cool the fixed enemy spawns in Twin Cobra are still broken. I actually did a serious playthrough of Kyuukyoku Tiger, at least until I game overed on stage 7. I absolutely agree that the difficulty seems too high. Enemies seem a bit more aggressive than they should be. After playing the game on PCB without autofire for the past 5 days, having autofire makes the game significantly easier, mostly because 30Hz lets you essentially skip the stage 2, 3, and 4 bosses without having to fight them at all, although you do need a bomb for the lower stage 3 boss.
pieslice

Post by pieslice »

I've found 10hz to be the best autofire rate for outzone; 30hz allows you to cheese some of the bosses too easily
Master O

Post by Master O »

How is Zero Wing's GOG release, by the way?
Steven

Post by Steven »

pieslice wrote:I've found 10hz to be the best autofire rate for outzone; 30hz allows you to cheese some of the bosses too easily
Yeah, but the Super Ball damages the game's balance way more than 30Hz though lol.
Master O wrote:How is Zero Wing's GOG release, by the way?
Zero Wing is possibly the least broken game out of all of them.
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

WAIT UNTIL THEY SAY THEY’RE CONFIDENT THEY HAVE A VERSION THAT’S GOOD AND READY TO TEST.

Otherwise you’ll burn yourself out. Not worth it.
PerishedFraud ឵឵

Steven wrote: Yeah, but the Super Ball damages the game's balance way more than 30Hz though lol.
Burner is equally broken. It takes more skill to use, but if you shuffle around while keeping it aimed at the enemy, it fires much faster and melts everything. (the laser also does this. what's happening here is that every time you face a new direction, it fires an extra shot)
Fun Over Victory| Shitpost Central | Shmusic Archive | Old Account | tuckfouhou@gmail.com
Steven

Post by Steven »

PerishedFraud ឵឵ wrote:
Steven wrote: Yeah, but the Super Ball damages the game's balance way more than 30Hz though lol.
Burner is equally broken. It takes more skill to use, but if you shuffle around while keeping it aimed at the enemy, it fires much faster and melts everything. (the laser also does this. what's happening here is that every time you face a new direction, it fires an extra shot)
Yeah, Super Burner is the most powerful weapon in the game. It doesn't go through walls like the Super Ball, though, so the Super Ball lets you kill stuff through walls without any risk at all while you have to get close enough to hit things with the Super Burner. The hit box on the Burner is slightly bigger than the actual flame effect, so it has a longer reach than it looks like it does, but in general I find the Super Ball is much safer.
PerishedFraud ឵឵

Steven wrote:I find the Super Ball is much safer.
Post burner 1cc or I revoke outzoner rights :lol:
Steven

Post by Steven »

lol I might have to do that... pretty sure you can play the entire game with the Burner in Bitwave's practice mode, so now I want to see if it actually will let me!

Uh... consider it WIP for now, just like the Bitwave release itself lol

https://youtu.be/f6cBZMBhbnw

Stage 5 might be the hard part since you may be forced to pick up the Super Ball in the section with those moving platforms, instantly killing your Burner-only run. That would suck.

This also reveals that the Tatsujin ship isn't here, as it should have spawned but didn't, further reinforcing the fact that this "common" version is still an unfinished version of the game.
PerishedFraud ឵឵

A valiant effort thwarted by the infamous corridor of doom. Commendable.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

New patch today, but not much to it.
Hi all! Today we're updating Out Zone with a brand new patch. It's the smallest one yet and brings button icons to the game's menu for a more convenient visual look.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
Steven

Post by Steven »

SLAP

FIGHT
pulsemod

Post by pulsemod »

It was a little shocking to see footage in the trailer of Same!Same!Same! where the red shot wasn't coming out due to autofire, not to mention the invulnerability all over the place. Hoping these releases will at least be less rocky than the first ones for those who get them.