Toaplan games coming to PC (Steam, GOG)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Redfox

Re: Toaplan games coming to PC (Steam, GOG)

Post by Redfox »

Steven wrote:It's not Steam exclusive since they are also getting GOG releases.
Let me rephrase Steven, I don’t PC, I’m console exclusive. :wink:
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Played the demo of Tatsujin in Malmö today (and they had Out Zone and Gimmick running too, and a delicious selection of Toaplan related stickers).
Game plays like it should, so nothing there. Seems to be two fire buttons, but no 30hz autofire? I couldn't find it in the settings either, but didn't want to mess too much with the demo setup. Autofire does make Tatsujin a lot easier, in some places a little too easy, but I think it fits the game well and makes it more fun.

On the other hand, rewind was also mapped to a controller button. Not sure if that is default, but the feature alone feels so gross to me, and I didn't like being able to activate it by accident. I guess it's impossible to ship emulated games nowaday without having "QoL" features like that. :\ But I'm assuming there will be something like a high-score mode with unchangeable dipswitch settings, and no cheat features?
Leandro

Post by Leandro »

Truxton with achievements! What a great news. Already wishlisted.

I hope there is regional price. We from Brazil are getting nasty prices from the Darius games, for instance. But I'm hopeful about this one, looking forward to the release!

Enviado de meu 2201116SG usando o Tapatalk
Warp_Rattler

Post by Warp_Rattler »

Has there been any word on whether these games will come to GOG in roughly the same timeframe as their Steam counterparts? Just glanced over at GOG but couldn't find listings for any of the games. I don't avoid Steam but do prefer GOG for titles available on both platforms; however, there's an unfortunate tendency for many GOG releases (and their updates) to lag faaaarrrr behind the Steam versions.
Carl-Henrik

Post by Carl-Henrik »

There isn't anytihing to mod (single file) so I'll poke my head in occasionally to see if there are any suggestions that aren't adding content I don't have the rights for.

There is some miniscule sliver of investigating whether we could do an XBox version but important people just need to talk to other important people.

As I did mention at the show it is not PC exclusive though, even if it is steam and gog exclusive :)

I totally understand if you don't play on PC. I mainly play Switch and PS5. But for those that do I hope you give these games a try! (Especially if you have a steamdeck)

Achieveents are fun and pretty easy to add so hopefully there will be lots to finish for those that like achievements.
Carl-Henrik

Post by Carl-Henrik »

Warp_Rattler wrote:Has there been any word on whether these games will come to GOG in roughly the same timeframe as their Steam counterparts? Just glanced over at GOG but couldn't find listings for any of the games. I don't avoid Steam but do prefer GOG for titles available on both platforms; however, there's an unfortunate tendency for many GOG releases (and their updates) to lag faaaarrrr behind the Steam versions.
Same time as Steam, their process is just a lot slower. More news soon.
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

Is there anything, any hints, you can share about a release date?

Are they still definitely coming out this year (we are already in November, with no release date announced... :mrgreen:)?

pablumatic

Post by pablumatic »

Any chance for western physical releases of these games? The M2 Toaplan Playstation/Switch series doesn't appear to be coming stateside.
Astro City II

Post by Astro City II »

Carl-Henrik wrote: There is some miniscule sliver of investigating whether we could do an XBox version but important people just need to talk to other important people.
Please try to push this as hard as you can! It's really quite awful even the Evercade gets some Toaplan games but us Xbox shmup fans are left out completely.
Steven

Post by Steven »

I just remembered something! A lot of somethings, actually...

Are there any location test ROM versions that are available? I'm not sure about the ones that have been announced, and I'm assuming you are doing all of them, but once you get to some of the other games, I'd really like to see the version of Hellfire that powers you down when you get hit instead of dying immediately and the easier location test version of Tatsujin Ou. I think there might have been an early location test 1P Same! Same! Same! that isn't completely insane, as well, but I'm not sure about that one. Obviously the focus is going to be on the final versions of those games, but I'd like to see some of the other versions made available.

I've also been testing both of the 1P versions of Hellfire and I noticed that the original version only lets you have 1 vertical/diagonal shot on screen at once and the newer one lets you have 2. Will be very interested to see which version you choose if you only choose 1 of the 1P versions. Speaking of games with multiple versions, what can we expect from Out Zone?

I don't suppose there is any chance of Genkai Chousen Distopia or Dynamic Trial 7, is there? Those games never got released, but they do exist in some form, and I know for a fact that there is a Genkai Chousen Distopia PCB out there somewhere.

Finally, any success with getting Uemura-san to do arranged soundtracks?
Warp_Rattler

Post by Warp_Rattler »

Carl-Henrik wrote:Same time as Steam, their process is just a lot slower. More news soon.
Thanks, this is good to hear! I really appreciate (and hopefully I'm not alone) that there's a choice of storefronts on PC and the releases didn't just default to being Steam exclusives.
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

Now we only need a release date. :mrgreen:

Just tell me: will I be able to spend the holiday season playing some Toaplan games on PC? :wink:
Or, are you looking at releasing them in 2023?
doodledude

Post by doodledude »

Warp_Rattler

Post by Warp_Rattler »

Carl-Henrik wrote:GoG versions are finally up!
Wishlisted for great justice!

I just want to say again that I appreciate you all putting these out on GOG as well as Steam--I don't avoid the latter by any means but I always love having the choice of storefront on PC.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Warp_Rattler wrote:
Wishlisted for great justice!

I just want to say again that I appreciate you all putting these out on GOG as well as Steam--I don't avoid the latter by any means but I always love having the choice of storefront on PC.
Same. Will always buy on GOG if given the choice.
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
UD2

Post by UD2 »

In the Twin Cobra/Kyuukyoku Tiger trailer, the music is pitched too high and the drum track is messed up. I hope that's fixed before release...
Carl-Henrik

Post by Carl-Henrik »

FunktionJCB wrote:
Just tell me: will I be able to spend the holiday season playing some Toaplan games on PC? :wink:
Or, are you looking at releasing them in 2023?
Sorry for the little delay, but we needed a little time to figure this out - it is coming in 2023 but still soon!

Mac version - more info soon! (same for Linux)

Yes, the music tempo is wrong, and more so for Twin Cobra and is fixed now but we haven't updated the trailers yet. I had missed some timing details with the arcade but I will check a little more for other sound issues. Next trailer should be better.
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

Carl-Henrik wrote: Sorry for the little delay, but we needed a little time to figure this out - it is coming in 2023 but still soon!
Well, still looking forward to them! :)

Best of luck with the final "tweaks".
Warp_Rattler

Post by Warp_Rattler »

Carl-Henrik wrote:more info soon! (same for Linux)
I'm already super appreciative of these showing up on GOG to begin with, but having native Linux ports would just be so fantastic.
PerishedFraud ឵឵

Post by PerishedFraud ឵឵ »

I'll take optimized and late over soggy and early any day. Take it easy and best of luck!
Fun Over Victory| Shitpost Central | Shmusic Archive | Old Account | tuckfouhou@gmail.com
Leandro

Post by Leandro »

PerishedFraud ឵឵ wrote:I'll take optimized and late over soggy and early any day. Take it easy and best of luck!
Agreed! Me too. Take your time dev!

Enviado de meu 2201116SG usando o Tapatalk
Some-Mist

Post by Some-Mist »

PerishedFraud ឵឵ wrote:I'll take optimized and late over soggy and early any day. Take it easy and best of luck!
a creature... half solid half gas
CRP

Post by CRP »

Widescreen is included in twin cobra, unsure if its been confirmed before or not. Screenshot posted on twitter
https://twitter.com/bitwavegames/status ... 5148537858
Wonderbanana

Post by Wonderbanana »

CRP wrote:Widescreen is included in twin cobra, unsure if its been confirmed before or not. Screenshot posted on twitter
https://twitter.com/bitwavegames/status ... 5148537858
But why? :roll:
SPM

Post by SPM »

Why not? I'm looking forward to playing that mode, it's a nice addition. No snipers but hell on screen! :mrgreen:
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
CRP

Post by CRP »

Same here im looking forward to try it out and fully enjoy scenery :)
Wonderbanana

Post by Wonderbanana »

Fair play, must be just me :lol: I can’t help feel it’s some bastardised console type mode, its almost blasphemous in my eyes. Had no idea there was actually an appetite for this kind of thing, you live and learn. 8)
Steven

Post by Steven »

Apparently these are $7.99 USD each, with the set of four being $19.99, so buy 2.5, get 1.5 free, I guess. Either way, ACA pricing, or potentially even cheaper if you buy the set of four, for Toaplan on PC = hell yes.

I wonder what is happening with refresh rates and stuff. I am not sure how M2 does it, but they seem to have made the ShotTriggers games run at 59.94Hz while also being synchronized with the PCBs. I am hoping we have the same thing here, or at least that there is an option to set the game speed to the original refresh rates.

I hate jerky scrolling and would rather play these games at 59.94Hz on my PC monitor, even though that is the incorrect speed, than put up with stutter when scrolling, especially since this is the primary reason that I absolutely hate playing on MAME, but there should definitely be an option to use the original refresh rates for people who have ways to connect their PCs to CRTs or somehow are not bothered by the stuttering.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Forcing 59.94Hz sounds to me like exactly the way to get jerky scrolling unless you got a VRR monitor.
I wouldn't mind playing a 59hz game in 60hz if it meant smoother visuals. That speed difference isn't gonna affect anyone's performance.