Embracer buys Tatsujin aka Torplan back catalog

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Ice Beam

Re: Fuck Embracer Group

Post by Ice Beam »

Manualmartin wrote:Hello,
Long-time lurker, finally time to get an account. My name is Martin Lindell and I work as a senior advisor for the Embracer Group and formulated the strategy on retro and classic games.

Can happily confirm that this won't affect existing agreements and Tatsujin will continue to manage the Toaplan games making all the creative and commercial decision, but with greater empowerment as they now fully own them and not only represent them as a licensing agent for the former owner.

We would be happy to see the M2 versions being released globally, but that decision is up to M2 as a licensee to decide how, when and where to publish, market and sell their games.
Thank you for letting us know.
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

Long-time lurker, finally time to get an account. My name is Martin Lindell and I work as a senior advisor for the Embracer Group and formulated the strategy on retro and classic games.

Can happily confirm that this won't affect existing agreements and Tatsujin will continue to manage the Toaplan games making all the creative and commercial decision, but with greater empowerment as they now fully own them and not only represent them as a licensing agent for the former owner.

We would be happy to see the M2 versions being released globally, but that decision is up to M2 as a licensee to decide how, when and where to publish, market and sell their games.
Welcome, and thanks for the update. :)

I look forward to see what you have in store in regards to retro and classic titles.

And, considering what Embracer did with other IPs, I'm hoping you are considering not only re-releases, but funding new titles from classic developers.
Tatsujin, which you already own, sure has some of the talent needed to do some good shmups. :wink:
Creamy Goodness

Post by Creamy Goodness »

Never heard of Embracer before, but they are making moves. Read this morning they bought Limited Run Games. Going to be interesting to see what they do with that dumpster fire of a conpany.
Verticen

Post by Verticen »

̶E̶m̶b̶r̶a̶c̶e̶r̶:̶ ̶a̶ ̶b̶i̶g̶-̶t̶e̶c̶h̶ ̶g̶i̶a̶n̶t̶ ̶w̶a̶n̶n̶a̶b̶e̶
̶j̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶k̶e̶e̶p̶ ̶b̶i̶g̶g̶e̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶'̶t̶i̶l̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶b̶u̶b̶b̶l̶e̶ ̶b̶u̶r̶s̶t̶s̶ ̶l̶m̶a̶o̶!̶
̶
̶I̶t̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶k̶i̶n̶d̶a̶ ̶s̶u̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶B̶i̶t̶ ̶W̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶b̶a̶s̶i̶c̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶a̶ ̶n̶i̶c̶e̶ ̶t̶i̶n̶y̶ ̶S̶w̶e̶d̶i̶s̶h̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶n̶t̶ ̶c̶o̶m̶p̶a̶n̶y̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶E̶m̶b̶r̶a̶c̶e̶r̶ ̶g̶r̶o̶u̶p̶ ̶m̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶s̶e̶l̶l̶ ̶t̶o̶a̶p̶l̶a̶n̶ ̶g̶a̶m̶e̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶r̶o̶u̶g̶h̶.̶ ̶T̶h̶a̶t̶'̶s̶ ̶a̶ ̶g̶o̶o̶d̶ ̶i̶m̶a̶g̶e̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶s̶p̶i̶n̶e̶l̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶s̶u̶r̶f̶a̶c̶e̶-̶l̶e̶v̶e̶l̶ ̶p̶u̶b̶l̶i̶c̶ ̶r̶e̶l̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶s̶.̶ ̶P̶a̶y̶-̶f̶o̶r̶-̶s̶c̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶s̶i̶t̶e̶s̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶I̶G̶N̶ ̶l̶o̶v̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶t̶i̶n̶y̶ ̶s̶t̶u̶d̶i̶o̶ ̶s̶h̶i̶t̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶i̶r̶ ̶"̶r̶e̶p̶o̶r̶t̶i̶n̶g̶"̶
̶
̶A̶m̶z̶ ̶b̶a̶i̶t̶?̶;̶ ̶R̶e̶-̶a̶c̶t̶i̶v̶a̶t̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶r̶e̶a̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶f̶u̶t̶u̶r̶e̶ ̶w̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶E̶m̶b̶r̶a̶c̶e̶r̶ ̶g̶e̶t̶s̶ ̶b̶o̶u̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶b̶y̶ ̶a̶m̶a̶z̶o̶n̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶T̶o̶a̶p̶l̶a̶n̶ ̶g̶a̶m̶e̶s̶ ̶b̶e̶c̶o̶m̶e̶ ̶e̶x̶c̶l̶u̶s̶i̶v̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶g̶o̶d̶d̶a̶m̶n̶ ̶a̶m̶a̶z̶o̶n̶ ̶g̶a̶m̶o̶r̶ ̶s̶e̶r̶v̶i̶c̶e̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶w̶h̶a̶t̶e̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶p̶l̶a̶y̶ ̶F̶i̶r̶e̶ ̶S̶h̶a̶r̶k̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶a̶ ̶c̶l̶o̶u̶d̶ ̶s̶t̶r̶e̶a̶m̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶g̶a̶m̶e̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶e̶n̶c̶o̶d̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶c̶r̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶2̶0̶ ̶f̶r̶a̶m̶e̶s̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶i̶n̶p̶u̶t̶ ̶l̶a̶g̶.̶ ̶(̶i̶f̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶t̶r̶y̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶p̶l̶a̶y̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶M̶a̶m̶e̶ ̶a̶m̶z̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶c̶e̶f̶u̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶p̶a̶c̶k̶s̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶a̶ ̶b̶o̶x̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶s̶h̶i̶p̶s̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶F̶u̶f̶i̶l̶m̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶G̶u̶l̶a̶g̶ ̶l̶o̶l̶o̶l̶)̶ ̶
Creamy Goodness wrote:Never heard of Embracer before, but they are making moves. Read this morning they bought Limited Run Games. Going to be interesting to see what they do with that dumpster fire of a conpany.
̶l̶o̶l̶ ̶"̶g̶a̶r̶b̶a̶g̶e̶ ̶i̶n̶:̶ ̶g̶a̶r̶b̶a̶g̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶t̶.̶"̶ ̶L̶R̶G̶ ̶s̶e̶l̶l̶s̶ ̶p̶r̶e̶t̶t̶y̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶f̶i̶t̶a̶b̶l̶e̶ ̶c̶a̶r̶d̶b̶o̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶i̶s̶.̶ ̶B̶u̶s̶i̶n̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶u̶s̶u̶a̶l̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶m̶y̶ ̶g̶u̶e̶s̶s̶.̶

Edit: Change of heart since my original post. Embracer seems to be handling the circumstance okay, and the devs of some of the ports have been active further on in this thread. Decided to get a (DRM Free) copy of Outzone on gog the other day after reading the dev's discussion on his work on the port.
Last edited by Verticen on Thu Aug 31, 2023 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Oh shit I had never heard of Embracer Group so I didn't have a handle on how massive they are. They're trying to buy up everything huh?
Nate123

Post by Nate123 »

Thats good to hear sorry just was thinking the worst outcome from all of this
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Verticen wrote:Amz bait?; Re-activate this thread in the future when Embracer gets bought out by amazon and Toaplan games become exclusive to goddamn amazon gamor service™ or whatever and you have to play Fire Shark as a cloud streaming game with encoding crust and 20 frames of input lag. (if you try to play it in Mame amz forcefully packs you in a box and ships you to the Fufilment Gulag lolol)
I thought MS was the one buying everything under the sun. :shock:
jehu

Re: Embracer buys Tatsujin aka Torplan back catalog

Post by jehu »

I've heard some rumbling and grumbling on Discord that this has been in the works for a long time. The 'All Your Base are Belong to Toaplan' documentary is fine, and apparently the creators have had to get approval from the Embracer side for a while already.

I'm not certain, but I think this is why we may have seen an uptick in Toaplan-related stuff for awhile. The new Snow Bros. that was developed recently, and that Pipi and Bibi remake that was announced out of nowhere are probably related.

If the PC ports disincentivize the M2 collection, I'm not going to be happy through. Wish I had more clarity on what all this will lead to - but I don't know that anyone really has that right now. Remaining cautiously optimistic.
CRP

Post by CRP »

Rastan78 wrote:Oh shit I had never heard of Embracer Group so I didn't have a handle on how massive they are. They're trying to buy up everything huh?
formerly THQ Nordic
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embracer_Group
mukimuki_rs

Post by mukimuki_rs »

I was expecting much more negativity than this! Not quite the shumps forum I remember :wink:
jehu wrote:I've heard some rumbling and grumbling on Discord that this has been in the works for a long time. The 'All Your Base are Belong to Toaplan' documentary is fine, and apparently the creators have had to get approval from the Embracer side for a while already.
Is there a Discord for the documentary, or is this someone involved with it? Can't wait to watch that thing... :D
Manualmartin

Post by Manualmartin »

FunktionJCB wrote: And, considering what Embracer did with other IPs, I'm hoping you are considering not only re-releases, but funding new titles from classic developers.
Tatsujin, which you already own, sure has some of the talent needed to do some good shmups. :wink:
We'll see what the future holds. :wink:
Yuge-san is still leading Tatsujin and makes the decisions but with backing from us.
Manualmartin

Post by Manualmartin »

jehu wrote:I'm not certain, but I think this is why we may have seen an uptick in Toaplan-related stuff for awhile. The new Snow Bros. that was developed recently, and that Pipi and Bibi remake that was announced out of nowhere are probably related.
The licensing contract of Snow Bros. Special by CRT Games was already signed before we acquired the Toaplan games and Tatsujin. The game was in development for quite time before being announced and released. However, through the Embracer company Clear River Games, we did offer a physical version in Europe and North America since CRT Games' publisher Daewon Media didn't cover that. That's more the approach we'll have, trying to find ways to empower Tatsujin as a licensor and increase the reach of the games.

The Spybros (Pipi and Bibi) is a regular licensing contract, all decided and approved by Tatsujin and Yuge-san. Embracer have no affiliation with the studio RAWRLAB that works on Spybros.

We did connect Bitwave with Tatsujin as there were no plans for PC versions and the developer Carl-Henrik working at Bitwave is a big Toaplan fan that did work on the Shark emulator, so there were a strong will from Bitwave to do it.
Manualmartin

Post by Manualmartin »

jehu wrote:I've heard some rumbling and grumbling on Discord that this has been in the works for a long time. The 'All Your Base are Belong to Toaplan' documentary is fine, and apparently the creators have had to get approval from the Embracer side for a while already.
We were just happy that the documentary is being made and I'm a backer of it privately. Anything that helps tell the story and heritage is good for Toaplan. Even better when an independent creator is doing it as it's more credible than a corporate commissioned documentary. I have a background in games media and written several books (in Swedish) about games history, so that's my genuine opinion (don't want to toot my horn, but if there're any Swedes here that's interested, then you can find info about my books here: https://martinlindell.com/bocker/).
Steven

Post by Steven »

Please do everything you can to hit the ~2 frames of lag or whatever it is that the M2 versions have, along with proper scaling and interpolation options, especially for the 4:3 games. I will be... most displeased if you don't.
moonblood

Post by moonblood »

As someone who considers some LRG releases but is almost always put off by the high shipping and taxes costs, I hope Embracer looks into coming up with some kind of solution for this for EU customers.
It begins in deep space warped by evil power
Astro City II

Post by Astro City II »

Martin, Could we get some Xbox One/Series X|S ports of the Toaplan games that are coming to PC please?
Manualmartin

Post by Manualmartin »

moonblood wrote:As someone who considers some LRG releases but is almost always put off by the high shipping and taxes costs, I hope Embracer looks into coming up with some kind of solution for this for EU customers.
Yes, Embracer have logistics and warehouses in Europe, so will hopefully find a solution. But not my area so don't want to make promises and don't know the details of this.
Manualmartin

Post by Manualmartin »

Astro City II wrote:Martin, Could we get some Xbox One/Series X|S ports of the Toaplan games that are coming to PC please?
That's not in the plans currently, but would love if Tatsujin can get the games onto Xbox.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

And I was wondering what constituted the thread title change... :lol:

Edit: And props to the OP for only half backing down. Personally, I liked the days where PR flacks had to make accounts with names like "toaplanfan#1", burn a couple posts attempting to look legit, then start gently massaging corporate talking points in the mix. These newfangled ways of "Hey everyone! I'm the community ambassador for <corporation>. Check out this power point presentation!" may be... efficient. But it just doesn't have the same charm.
Some-Mist

Post by Some-Mist »

kinda curious how the controls on out zone are going to work. are they gonna provide rapid fire options? are you gonna be able to customize controls so you can keep rapid fire on a separate button from the normal shot? or are they gonna fix the flamethrower incompatibility with rapid fire enabled? I'm sure it will be fine however they go about it.
a creature... half solid half gas
Carl-Henrik

Post by Carl-Henrik »

Sorry to jump in late! I have been a bit overwhelmed :)

I am Carl-Henrik from the announcement video and a friend of Martin Lindell and also Malcolm Laurie, the founder of shmups.com!

Anyway I have been registered for a while but haven't managed to post anything due to working on this project and not wanting to spoil anything. Now I can spoil everything (almost!).

Spoilers from the past:
Me and some friends were active in the Demo Scene in groups like Rebels and The Silents. A part of The Silents went on to start DICE and after a few years at Funcom some of the rest started Blue House which didn't succeed (along with Johan Andersson, one of the founders of Paradox Interactive)
Our interest in emulators started with Johan Köhler being bored and making a Gradius emulator, and I think a Salamander emulator, then we got a little competive with Johan creating the first Neo Geo emulator simply named "teaser" while Magnus Danielsson and I went all-in on Toaplan games starting with Flying Shark - still my favorite - and thanks to the amazing Toaplan-loving community we kept on going.
Malcolm Laurie and shmups.com was one of the major supporters and helped with suggestions for improvements and testing!
At some point I created a website for Toaplan, which I handed over hosting to another person a long time ago but it is still alive at https://toaplan.org :)

Spoilers from recent times:
Due to travelling issues in 2021 I went on vacation to Stockholm and met up with Martin Lindell who asked if I was interested in this project, how could I not say yes?

Thanks for all the positive feedback so far!
Carl-Henrik

Post by Carl-Henrik »

Some-Mist wrote:kinda curious how the controls on out zone are going to work. are they gonna provide rapid fire options? are you gonna be able to customize controls so you can keep rapid fire on a separate button from the normal shot? or are they gonna fix the flamethrower incompatibility with rapid fire enabled? I'm sure it will be fine however they go about it.
Working on it :) I'm disabling autofire when you have weapons that don't work with it and while entering hiscore names etc :)
Steven

Post by Steven »

I don't know, I'm hesitant to trust acquisitions of smaller companies by massive companies, mostly thanks to stupid Disney, but apparently you guys actually legitimately love Toaplan or something, so I guess I'll see how this turns out. As the second-greatest Toaplan fan in the entire world despite only knowing about Toaplan for like a year and a half, I wasn't very excited about the prospect of some company other than Tatsujin owning the Toaplan IPs, but if they have complete control over everything and this allows them to get stuff out all over the place, that's good, I guess.

BTW Martin, PLEASE tell/convince/brainwash Yuge-san to make some Toaplan goods or something if you can. I recently met Uemura-san and asked him if they have any goods or whatever so I can have an excuse to stop by Tatsujin's office and give them my money since I live like 20 minutes away, but he was like "lol nope... we had some t-shirts, but those are all gone and we don't have anything...". Model Toaplan ships or t-shirts or posters or anything is fine... but model ships would be really awesome and everyone needs a model of the Slap Fight ship... and the Fire Shark, and the Flying Shark, and the Super Fighter, and the Hyper Fighter, and all of the rest. I don't know if there's demand for something like that, and there probably isn't, so it probably isn't financially viable, but you know.
Some-Mist

Post by Some-Mist »

Carl-Henrik wrote:
Some-Mist wrote:kinda curious how the controls on out zone are going to work. are they gonna provide rapid fire options? are you gonna be able to customize controls so you can keep rapid fire on a separate button from the normal shot? or are they gonna fix the flamethrower incompatibility with rapid fire enabled? I'm sure it will be fine however they go about it.
Working on it :) I'm disabling autofire when you have weapons that don't work with it and while entering hiscore names etc :)
/claps

hell yes! such a pain in the ass using an autofire adapter w/ the pcb that doesn't support button remapping and it was either between avoiding flamethrower or having my finger fall off from tapping. honestly couldn't have been a better answer
a creature... half solid half gas
jehu

Post by jehu »

Manualmartin wrote:
jehu wrote:I'm not certain, but I think this is why we may have seen an uptick in Toaplan-related stuff for awhile. The new Snow Bros. that was developed recently, and that Pipi and Bibi remake that was announced out of nowhere are probably related.
The licensing contract of Snow Bros. Special by CRT Games was already signed before we acquired the Toaplan games and Tatsujin. The game was in development for quite time before being announced and released. However, through the Embracer company Clear River Games, we did offer a physical version in Europe and North America since CRT Games' publisher Daewon Media didn't cover that. That's more the approach we'll have, trying to find ways to empower Tatsujin as a licensor and increase the reach of the games.

The Spybros (Pipi and Bibi) is a regular licensing contract, all decided and approved by Tatsujin and Yuge-san. Embracer have no affiliation with the studio RAWRLAB that works on Spybros.

We did connect Bitwave with Tatsujin as there were no plans for PC versions and the developer Carl-Henrik working at Bitwave is a big Toaplan fan that did work on the Shark emulator, so there were a strong will from Bitwave to do it.
Thanks for these detailed clarifications - very nice not to have to speculate.
mukimuki_rs wrote:
Is there a Discord for the documentary, or is this someone involved with it? Can't wait to watch that thing... :D
Yeah, it is being done by the YouTuber ShmupJunkie and one other guy. If you stumble upon one of his videos on the platform, I'll bet you find the link to his Discord in the description. As far as I know there's not a Discord only for the documentary, but you'll probably be able to get your questions about it answered there anyway.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Gotta say, Martin and Carl-Henrik, it's really nice to see your input so quickly. It's reassuring to hear that there are people involved who truly love Toaplan. Thank you both for your insightful posts.
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

Carl-Henrik wrote:Sorry to jump in late! I have been a bit overwhelmed :)

I am Carl-Henrik from the announcement video and a friend of Martin Lindell and also Malcolm Laurie, the founder of shmups.com!

Anyway I have been registered for a while but haven't managed to post anything due to working on this project and not wanting to spoil anything. Now I can spoil everything (almost!).

Spoilers from the past:
Me and some friends were active in the Demo Scene in groups like Rebels and The Silents. A part of The Silents went on to start DICE and after a few years at Funcom some of the rest started Blue House which didn't succeed (along with Johan Andersson, one of the founders of Paradox Interactive)
Our interest in emulators started with Johan Köhler being bored and making a Gradius emulator, and I think a Salamander emulator, then we got a little competive with Johan creating the first Neo Geo emulator simply named "teaser" while Magnus Danielsson and I went all-in on Toaplan games starting with Flying Shark - still my favorite - and thanks to the amazing Toaplan-loving community we kept on going.
Malcolm Laurie and shmups.com was one of the major supporters and helped with suggestions for improvements and testing!
At some point I created a website for Toaplan, which I handed over hosting to another person a long time ago but it is still alive at https://toaplan.org :)

Spoilers from recent times:
Due to travelling issues in 2021 I went on vacation to Stockholm and met up with Martin Lindell who asked if I was interested in this project, how could I not say yes?

Thanks for all the positive feedback so far!
Welcome!
Glad to have you around. :)

I look forward to check your upcoming titles, when they launch.

If I may make a suggestion: if possible, please do consider adding some "extras" to these releases (things like a poster/artwork gallery, or even a short interview video with someone who worked on the original games; we rarely get to hear from the developers of these classic titles, and since you have a possible channel to them through Tatsujin, this would be a great extra). It would make for great added value to your planned series of re-releases.

Cheers
Carl-Henrik

Post by Carl-Henrik »

FunktionJCB wrote: Welcome!
Glad to have you around. :)

I look forward to check your upcoming titles, when they launch.

If I may make a suggestion: if possible, please do consider adding some "extras" to these releases (things like a poster/artwork gallery, or even a short interview video with someone who worked on the original games; we rarely get to hear from the developers of these classic titles, and since you have a possible channel to them through Tatsujin, this would be a great extra). It would make for great added value to your planned series of re-releases.

Cheers
Thanks!

I am happy to hear that there is an interest in artwork and posters! I think the documentary will be much better at interesting interviews than we could manage, but we will take the suggestion into consideration!
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

Carl-Henrik wrote: Thanks!

I am happy to hear that there is an interest in artwork and posters! I think the documentary will be much better at interesting interviews than we could manage, but we will take the suggestion into consideration!
Thank you :wink: