Is SFC Super Aleste better than SNES Space Megaforce ?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
gigadrive32

Is SFC Super Aleste better than SNES Space Megaforce ?

Post by gigadrive32 »

I read on that Japanese unreleased / prototype videogame page that Super Famicom's Super Aleste is better than the Super Nintendo Space Megaforce. although they're basicly the same games, I read that Super Aleste has a level or levels missing from Space Megaforce. is this true ?
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

I haven't heard about missing levels, but I have heard that Super Aleste has some plot elements (i.e. a pair of actual characters, rather than the faceless pilot in Megaforce) and other stuff (actual individual ending images for different difficulties) that Megaforce, for some stupid reason or other, cut out. Otherwise I'm not immediately aware of any "important" differences between the two.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

As far as I know, all of the levels are intact in the US version, but, as said before, the plot has been changed for the US version. There is a European version of Super Aleste that is called "Super Aleste" like the Japanese version, but has the exact same alterations as the US Space Megaforce.
Exed Exuna

Post by Exed Exuna »

The Stage 3 Music is actually different in both.

Space Megaforce's Level 3 has a very nice 'Zanac'-style music, while Super Aleste's Level 3 is nothing special, really.

Also the announcer and boss greetings are different in both. And again, I prefer SM's over SA's.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Exed Exuna wrote:The Stage 3 Music is actually different in both.

Space Megaforce's Level 3 has a very nice 'Zanac'-style music, while Super Aleste's Level 3 is nothing special, really.

Also the announcer and boss greetings are different in both. And again, I prefer SM's over SA's.
You mean the Japanese Super Aleste. Do keep in mind that the game is called Super Aleste in Europe too, but the European version has the same changes that the US version has.
zubiac

Post by zubiac »

yakumo is reviewing "Super Aleste"(jap) in one of his retro core videos and he also says that the euro and US version lack some levels of the SFC version.

but who knows? All his retro-core videos are a crusade against western versions of games.....
War is in my Heart -- Death is by my Side
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

The US version is 12 levels long, something about that tells me levels aren't missing from it.