Gokujou Parodius Da! Deluxe Pack PS1/SS Differences?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
KimagureMachibuse

Gokujou Parodius Da! Deluxe Pack PS1/SS Differences?

Post by KimagureMachibuse »

What are the differences between Gokujou Parodius Deluxe pack on the Sega Saturn and Sony Playstation?

I heard that the Saturn verison of Gokujou Parodius is harder on standard difficulty does and that Parodius Da! Was made easier in both versions but am curious to hear other differences between both versions.
davyK

Re: Gokujou Parodius Da! Deluxe Pack PS1/SS Differences?

Post by davyK »

I'm led to believe that each port has its own exclusive level in Da!
pcb_revival

Post by pcb_revival »

hardcoregaming101.net wrote:
While the PlayStation version has vertical bars on the left and right side of the screen, due to the arcade game running at slightly lower resolution (288 horizontal pixels instead of 320), the Saturn version has an option to extend the screen to the full length.

Both PlayStation and Saturn had releases of Fantastic Journey - other than translation I do not know if further changes were made.
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

I recall Goku Paro on the PSX having issues with extends (it'd be nice if someone could confirm this).
It was in fact the reason why I went to the Saturn port instead.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

From all the video comparisons and reviews I have seen I faithly write the following -

PS1 version rushed for release to meet the goal as launch title for Dec 94.
PS1 version loads midflight levels for bosses which makes a blip pause here and there but nothing drastic
PS1 version seems to have its difficulty based on the amount of sprite work it can perform due to memory limitations.

SS version can max out the sprite count beyond the PS1 version, meaning turning the difficulty down a notch gives you similar experience to the PS1 version
SS version has 1MB of extra RAM to play with, so there is no mid flight loading or pauses
SS Version was not made to coincide with any launch and was released much later in the SS systems life.

I don't really like PS1 discs they scratch and smudge easily.

I upgraded my PS1 version to the SS many moons ago. The differences are slight but they are there.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Both Gokujou versions have 100k/300k extends instead of the original 200k/500k, and you can't change that. You can't config the buttons on the Saturn version, either. Both versions got a dumbed-down cake stage which was welcome by many - the game got easier. Particularly, the PS1 version, as the frame rate gets so low so many times that you just can't even compare many stages with the original ones (what neorichieb1971 pointed). Many animations missing on the PS1 version as well - it's not the version to play, really noticeable even for non experts.

Da extra stages are only in the SFC and PS versions, if I recall.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

I am unfamiliar with the slowdown issues between versions and you would need to run them side by side to figure it out.

The hammer stage is far the worst on both versions and most of the screen is doing something and if you auto fire it grinds to a trickle feed situation. But I believe all versions do this, at least the home versions that are trying to replicate the arcade.

If you are a collector of the real games, note that PS1's have terrible reliabilty issues and the choice of joypad might play a part in it too. I have the Japanese releases of all the SFC and SS versions, PAL countries got some releases too.

You could emulate it, but this doesn't give the great audio soundtracks on the disc versions. If you own a Japanese SS its a no brainer.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
KimagureMachibuse

Post by KimagureMachibuse »

If you are a collector of the real games, note that PS1's have terrible reliabilty issues and the choice of joypad might play a part in it too. I have the Japanese releases of all the SFC and SS versions, PAL countries got some releases too.

You could emulate it, but this doesn't give the great audio soundtracks on the disc versions. If you own a Japanese SS its a no brainer.[/quote]

I have seen game footage of the arcade verison of Parodius Da! the music sounds nearly identical with the only difference being the deluxe packs being a bit more crisper in audio tracks but the saturn version of gokujou has far more compressed sound effects compared to arcade and even ps1

I usually opt for ps1 over saturn in some instances as the i prefer the discs to saturn ones as they have cooler disc artwork but with deluxe pack the saturn version is the better version as it was released a year later where as the PS1 was released in 1994
OldSkoolShmuper

Post by OldSkoolShmuper »

neorichieb1971 wrote:From all the video comparisons and reviews I have seen I faithly write the following -

PS1 version rushed for release to meet the goal as launch title for Dec 94.
PS1 version loads midflight levels for bosses which makes a blip pause here and there but nothing drastic
PS1 version seems to have its difficulty based on the amount of sprite work it can perform due to memory limitations.

SS version can max out the sprite count beyond the PS1 version, meaning turning the difficulty down a notch gives you similar experience to the PS1 version
SS version has 1MB of extra RAM to play with, so there is no mid flight loading or pauses
SS Version was not made to coincide with any launch and was released much later in the SS systems life.

I don't really like PS1 discs they scratch and smudge easily.

I upgraded my PS1 version to the SS many moons ago. The differences are slight but they are there.

The Saturn version came out later than the PS1 version yes, but only by 6 months in Japan, May 1995.
To me, that wouldn't really be 'much later' in the Saturn's life.
pulsemod

Post by pulsemod »

compared to being a console launch title, I think it implies a lot more breathing room. a lot could happen in that amount of time back then so it sounds reasonable to me
OldSkoolShmuper

Yeah I guess you're right. Forgot how short development used to be back then.

Anywho, I found Diehard Gamefan's write-up reviews on both the PSX and Saturn versions.

PSX
https://i.imgur.com/QRGZacJ.jpg

Saturn
https://i.imgur.com/SWZHF1A.jpg
(scores) https://i.imgur.com/ddRgdLq.jpg

plus, an EGM special feature on the PSX port.
https://i.imgur.com/YVlnNzc.jpg
Last edited by OldSkoolShmuper on Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bloodreign

Post by Bloodreign »

PS1 version has some animation frames cut, quite noticeable in the one stage where you first encounter the cat submarine. In the PS1 version, once underwater the backgrounds don't move at all, the Saturn and arcade versions you'll notice everything moves in a wavy fashion in the background. That's about the only animation cuts I noticed on the PS1 version of Gokujou. I can't remember if it's just Parodius Da that has the broken bell scoring in the game, or if Gokujou also suffers a similar fate on both versions.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

PS1 Parodius Da also has a smaller horizontal resolution than arcade so part of the screen is cut off. You can see this easily on the first boss as his backside doesn't come fully onto the screen. I think Saturn draws just a bit more than the arcade version which is probably preferred.
OldSkoolShmuper

Mean Machines Sega preview and review of Saturn Parodius Deluxe Pack.

https://i.imgur.com/5DtxvxA.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/ixdpH1U.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/R77oout.jpg