Help in naming a Shooter from the mid-90's

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
amerika

Re: Help in naming a Shooter from the mid-90's

Post by amerika »

Holy crap, I am about 98% certain that is the game. That ticks every box and my spidey senses are tingling on it. My brain wants me to believe the graphics were a bit more advanced than that, but this LOOKS like exactly what I had in my head in virtually every way. Including the boss and being able to move in other directions than just up. For some reason I thought your ship mostly moved up, but I guess not. That or I was simply playing it wrong haha.

Thank you everyone who helped. I am pretty sure this is a childhood mystery solved!
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

wow. That game looks very similar to the overhead stages in Thunder Force II, right down to being able to switch weapons. The radar reminds me of minesweeper.
DMC

Post by DMC »

Well done, Emphatic. Just when some of us started to give up.

The game reminds me of the thin line between suitably stressful and absolutely annoying soundtracks.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

BrianC wrote:wow. That game looks very similar to the overhead stages in Thunder Force II, right down to being able to switch weapons. The radar reminds me of minesweeper.
I had the same thought, I wonder if it influenced TFII's design. The first Thunder Force game was all overhead, but only 4-way movement and more focused on ground targets. TF1 did precede this game, but I'm sure Namco's Bosconian makes a much more likely point of influence.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

amerika wrote:Holy crap, I am about 98% certain that is the game. That ticks every box and my spidey senses are tingling on it. My brain wants me to believe the graphics were a bit more advanced than that, but this LOOKS like exactly what I had in my head in virtually every way. Including the boss and being able to move in other directions than just up. For some reason I thought your ship mostly moved up, but I guess not. That or I was simply playing it wrong haha.
Keep in mind that Mandela Effect is a thing. Besides this game pretty much checks every box, later stage have more grey background etc.
amerika

Post by amerika »

copy-paster wrote:
amerika wrote:Holy crap, I am about 98% certain that is the game. That ticks every box and my spidey senses are tingling on it. My brain wants me to believe the graphics were a bit more advanced than that, but this LOOKS like exactly what I had in my head in virtually every way. Including the boss and being able to move in other directions than just up. For some reason I thought your ship mostly moved up, but I guess not. That or I was simply playing it wrong haha.
Keep in mind that Mandela Effect is a thing. Besides this game pretty much checks every box, later stage have more grey background etc.
That is true, and I am aware, that's why I didn't say 100% haha. But this game, unlike many others that were very similar or had similar features, did not quite trigger the same core memory.

If, somehow it was not this game that I ran into, then it is one that is very very similar in regards to gameplay, aesthetics and even features. The only thing I thought I remembered that does not show up with this game is that I thought the grey walls rotated around the ship. But I feel like that might be simply me misremembering them as the main thing I recall was being trapped inside them.

Also, I mentioned that I only played it for a very short while. I probably only maybe got to the 3rd stage in that time as I probably only had a few quarters on me at the time. I definitely had limited fiscal resources back then haha.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

I mean, your gut instinct's telling you it's the game, so it probably is. :)

Even if it's not, look at all the other games you get to discover! It's a win/win!
SPM

Post by SPM »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:Here's an alternative that's definitely working, try searching for Shooter as the genre and you should be good: http://adb.arcadeitalia.net/lista_mame.php
This source is fantastic! Thanks for sharing Roo :D
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Bosconian is a bit like last mission.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

SPM wrote:This source is fantastic! Thanks for sharing Roo :D
I try to be helpful. Occasionally I succeed. :P