Raiden IV x MIKADO remix coming to the west with new version

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Astro City II

Raiden IV x MIKADO remix coming to the west with new version

Post by Astro City II »

NIS America will release MOSS-developed shoot ’em up Raiden IV x MIKADO remix for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC via Steam in early 2023, the publisher announced.

https://nisamerica.com/raiden/

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO-DEnE ... e=emb_logo

Deluxe:

Limited Edition:
SeeNoWeevil

Re: Raiden IV x MIKADO remix coming to the west with new ver

Post by SeeNoWeevil »

I guess that's why the old version was just pulled from Steam.
ch2

Post by ch2 »

I already posted this in the other RxM thread but I wonder if the change of publisher means something else is cooking.

NIS is the kind of publisher that rereleases Soul Nomad 15 years later because why not, so maybe a proper Raiden collection could happen? We'll see.

In any case I hope the publisher upgrade means more possibilities and a bigger bag for MOSS.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Damn it I just bought this on PS4 and Switch like a month ago. If I'd known there was going to be a PC release I wouldn't have gotten the PS4 version, as at least the Switch version is still useful for handheld mode. Too late now, I guess.
pablumatic

Post by pablumatic »

I'll probably get it, but are the anime girls (lolicon?) really necessary?
Steven

Post by Steven »

pablumatic wrote:I'll probably get it, but are the anime girls (lolicon?) really necessary?
That is Mikado-chan, the mascot of Mikado. Go there and you'll see her all over the place. I think there are more of her at Ikebukuro than Takadanobaba, but I don't go to the Ikebukuro location that much since it's farther from my house. Also because Takadanobaba has better games aside from the currently Ikebukuro-exclusive Hishouzame, Teki-Paki, and RayForce, but yeah.
pablumatic

Post by pablumatic »

Steven wrote:
pablumatic wrote:I'll probably get it, but are the anime girls (lolicon?) really necessary?
That is Mikado-chan, the mascot of Mikado. Go there and you'll see her all over the place. I think there are more of her at Ikebukuro than Takadanobaba, but I don't go to the Ikebukuro location that much since it's farther from my house. Also because Takadanobaba has better games aside from the currently Ikebukuro-exclusive Hishouzame, Teki-Paki, and RayForce, but yeah.
I assumed the character(s) had to do with the "Mikado" addittions. Raiden is just not a series I equate with little anime girls. That is usually reserved for Cave stuff. Oh well.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

The Raiden series does have one thing this guy keeps ranting about (not the godparents).
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

SeeNoWeevil wrote:I guess that's why the old version was just pulled from Steam.
Indeed, which to what I was expecting. Either way, with the $60 editions being listed on NISA's store, chances to assume the game itself will probably MSRP at around $30-40 at best. (Here's hoping though.)
I've Come to Deliver Some Bad Luck!
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

From what I've played of Mikado remix, it fixes some of the weird issues in OverKill while not adding even more modes. No more modes please. Never again. Anyway, this seems to finally replace the 360 version, which OverKill didn't quite do. Hopefully I'll remain glad it's hitting PC.
pablumatic wrote:I assumed the character(s) had to do with the "Mikado" addittions. Raiden is just not a series I equate with little anime girls. That is usually reserved for Cave stuff. Oh well.
Would like to point out that this is the series that has had a naked fairy as a mascot since the beginning. Relevant, she's actually a playable character in Raiden IV here.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
SeeNoWeevil

Post by SeeNoWeevil »

The original version used to go on sale on Steam for literal pennies (~£1.50). It's gonna be a helluva price hike just for a new soundtrack.
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

SeeNoWeevil wrote:The original version used to go on sale on Steam for literal pennies (~£1.50). It's gonna be a helluva price hike just for a new soundtrack.
Yeah, Overkill went on sale lots of times, and the lowest it went on Steam (most of the time) was $2.24, with the GoG version going for $2 at the lowest (I think). Those that wanted to get it had 7 years since its release on PC to get it and various sales they could have went and gotten it from prior to its delisting, but oh well. But yeah, other than just an additional remixed soundtrack, its kinda hard to justify a re-release if mostly everything is the same, but with only one new thing.
I've Come to Deliver Some Bad Luck!
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Despatche wrote:From what I've played of Mikado remix, it fixes some of the weird issues in OverKill while not adding even more modes. No more modes please. Never again. Anyway, this seems to finally replace the 360 version, which OverKill didn't quite do.
Nobody really played the Overkill mode. Curious as to the changes in Mikado mix. It's possible the old version of Raiden IV will still be relevant if people continue to favor Arcade mode, assuming the original Arcade mode is included in this release..
Steven wrote: Takadanobaba has better games aside from the currently Ikebukuro-exclusive Hishouzame, Teki-Paki, and RayForce, but yeah.
Off topic, but Guilty Gear heaven. Or at least it used to be. Is Guilty Gear still popular there? Haven't seen any streams since Jonio left.
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
Steven

Post by Steven »

BurlyHeart wrote:Off topic, but Guilty Gear heaven. Or at least it used to be. Is Guilty Gear still popular there? Haven't seen any streams since Jonio left.
Unknown, as I don't play fighting games. They have lots of KOF and Street Fighter stuff upstairs in both locations, though. Some Tekken as well, I think, but mostly KOF and Street Fighter.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

BurlyHeart wrote:Nobody really played the Overkill mode.
Perhaps you'd like to change this, wink nudge etc?
BurlyHeart wrote:Curious as to the changes in Mikado mix. It's possible the old version of Raiden IV will still be relevant if people continue to favor Arcade mode, assuming the original Arcade mode is included in this release..
When I say "OverKill", I'm talking about the overall port. OverKill as a port has weird issues with sound and things like that, which don't seem to be present in the Mikado version from what I played. So, Mikado remix still has the three modes OverKill does: Arcade mode 360/Perfect/Additional mode, and OverKill mode.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Steven wrote:
BurlyHeart wrote:Off topic, but Guilty Gear heaven. Or at least it used to be. Is Guilty Gear still popular there? Haven't seen any streams since Jonio left.
Unknown, as I don't play fighting games. They have lots of KOF and Street Fighter stuff upstairs in both locations, though. Some Tekken as well, I think, but mostly KOF and Street Fighter.
Fair enough, thanks for the response. When I went there, downstairs had some really cool games but was fairly empty. Upstairs was wedged though, with people crowding around cabs waiting to fight. It was awesome, aside from the smoke.
Despatche wrote:
BurlyHeart wrote:Nobody really played the Overkill mode.
Perhaps you'd like to change this, wink nudge etc?
When I picked up Raiden IV fro the first time, I exclusively played Overkill, not knowing Arcade mode was the main one most people played. I actually much preferred Arcade mode. I might go back to IV someday. I had a lot of fun with it and learned a lot regarding about shmups (thank you Aquas!).
Despatche wrote:
BurlyHeart wrote:Curious as to the changes in Mikado mix. It's possible the old version of Raiden IV will still be relevant if people continue to favor Arcade mode, assuming the original Arcade mode is included in this release..
When I say "OverKill", I'm talking about the overall port. OverKill as a port has weird issues with sound and things like that, which don't seem to be present in the Mikado version from what I played. So, Mikado remix still has the three modes OverKill does: Arcade mode 360/Perfect/Additional mode, and OverKill mode.
Ah I see. Whilst I am not sure about a new release to fix some minor issues, I do hope it'll bring the game to a brand new audience.
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Well, people only stick to Arcade mode because arcade purism and all that. Same reason people rarely play arrange modes in CAVE console ports. It's a pretty silly practice, especially for Raiden IV where Arcade mode is basically a prototype and the real game is the 360/Perfect/Additional mode.
Steven

Post by Steven »

I need to check out Overkill mode. I've been playing arcade mode to learn the game, so maybe I'll try Overkill mode after I check out the Astro City Mini V tonight.
BurlyHeart wrote:Fair enough, thanks for the response. When I went there, downstairs had some really cool games but was fairly empty. Upstairs was wedged though, with people crowding around cabs waiting to fight. It was awesome, aside from the smoke.
Takadanobaba or Ikebukuro? I think they moved a while ago and these are the new(er?) locations, though.

Anyway, Baba has better games overall, especially for shooting: the original Darius New Version triple screen monstrosity, Garegga (they actually had 2 of them, but one is gone as of a few weeks ago), Batrider, Dariusburst AC, Tatsujin Ou, Kyuukyoku Tiger, Toaplan sponsorship cabinet (Out Zone is in there right now, but I've played Dogyuun and Same! 1P on there before as well), Thunder Dragon 2, Raiden DX, Viper Phase 1, Saidaioujou EXA LABEL, Daioujou, Ketsui, DDP, Salamander 2, R-Type, R-Type II, After Burner Climax, Xeno Crisis (lol yes, Neo Geo Xeno Crisis is there) and a few others. They used to have Karous running on a NAOMI, but they got rid of it a while ago. No matter, as I have Karous on Dreamcast at home, but it's still kind of disappointing to see them get rid of more obscure games like that. They also had Tatsujin, but it went away several months ago. Same with Guardian Force, and sadly V-V is gone now as well. I want to say they finally have Bakraid now, but I don't really remember since I passed through a few days ago just to play Kyuukyoku Tiger and Tatsujin Ou before going home and didn't really look around much.

Ikebukuro has RayForce, Hishouzame, Progear, 1944 The Loop Master, After Burner Climax, Garegga, Darius Gaiden, Space Harrier, Kaitei Daisensou, DDP, and a few others, but I forget most of them. Ikebukuro smells like cigarette smoke, but Baba isn't too bad. There are designated smoking booths now and you can't smoke elsewhere, which helps.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Takadanobaba. It was the mecca of Guilty Gear before Strive dropped. People would visit Japan just to play there.
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
pulsemod

Post by pulsemod »

I definitely found it very confusing when I first got overkill, with there being so many modes with their own difficulty levels and no distinctions presented. but I'll be honest, arcade mode is the most appealing because it's simplest and the other modes seem too long for me ^^;
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Arcade mode for me.

Unfortunately, I found Overkill mode to be annoying. Big enemies just sort of sit there sponging up your bullets, preventing you for hitting anything further up the screen. Also the non-stop medals being auto collected is a big pet peeve of mine; if a medal is automatically vacuumed in with no player interaction needed, it has no reason to exist and just adds clutter.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
heli

Post by heli »

I imported this game and have stuttering framerate.
It might be the same, unplayable.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

I wish OverKill and Additional mode have true last stage and TLB available right away in loop 1, as 1 loop of both takes like 35 minutes which about the same length as II and DX expert. Don't feel like going through loop 2 just to beat them, too long!

I have fun time with IV myself but hot damn that stage 3 boss just annoying. III have similar boss and multiform too but you can kill them fast unlike IV.
Lord British

Post by Lord British »

This game barely shows up on the annual Top 20 rankings, but this year I put it #1. It's just the game I have the most fun playing for whatever reason
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

BurlyHeart wrote:Takadanobaba. It was the mecca of Guilty Gear before Strive dropped. People would visit Japan just to play there.
Yeah, I'm not a huge GG expert or a particularly high level player, but I am a fighting game fan and I've been to several iconic spots (Sunnyvale Golfland for Street Fighter, multiple Evo finals, lots of the old SoCal spots, etc). Going to the Takadanobaba Mikado and seeing the GG scene in person is way up there with top experiences. I haven't been since pre-pandemic, but the last time I was there in April 2019 there was a GG Xrd Rev2 tournament going on and it was just wild to be there.

Fun fact, the first game I ever played at that Mikado was... Dodonpachi II Beestorm (LOL!) Hey, I'd never seen it in the wild before then so I was curious!

Also, Takadanobaba > Ikebukuro because you can hear the Astro Boy jingle from the train station when you're standing at the front door getting some fresh air ;)
heli

Post by heli »

Overkill mode is so frustrating, the items in screen and dead enemys are bad gameplay.
The items are also very frustrating in this whole game, i want only 1 weapon type and i keep grabbing the wrong item.
And it keep notifying that data has been saved, press x.
You want save replay ?, no are you sure ?
It does have better load times then V.

+ i dont get it why they sell this crap, what is that for game-center ?
Hospital for epileptic patients sounds more realistic.
SPM

Post by SPM »

"Overkill" was the mode that made me even consider playing this game the first time, it's so fun! That mechanic reminded me of the bushes from Mushihimesama.
Jeneki wrote:Unfortunately, I found Overkill mode to be annoying. Big enemies just sort of sit there sponging up your bullets, preventing you for hitting anything further up the screen.
Well... it's a scoring-focused mode. Don't consider them obstacles, but something you want to keep shooting at to get bigger medals, which limits your movement and adds another strategic layer to the gameplay.
copy-paster wrote:I wish OverKill and Additional mode have true last stage and TLB available right away in loop 1, as 1 loop of both takes like 35 minutes which about the same length as II and DX expert. Don't feel like going through loop 2 just to beat them, too long!
+1
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

SPM wrote:Well... it's a scoring-focused mode. Don't consider them obstacles, but something you want to keep shooting at to get bigger medals, which limits your movement and adds another strategic layer to the gameplay.
Correct. Scoring mechanics can be annoying, but still be scoring mechanics.

On the flip side, charge-up missiles are probably my favorite thing Raiden IV introduced. Reminds me of Under Defeat, laying off the trigger for a short burst in damage and score. Perhaps the difference for me at least, is that I can choose when to use a charge-up attack and fashion it to my personal playstyle, but I don't get a choice to inflate the point pinata or not.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
SPM

Post by SPM »

Fair enough! :lol: I guess that mechanic does get in the way if you'd rather ignore it! (Luckily I love it) :mrgreen:

But that's a good point! The charged missiles only get in the way if you want to optimize your score but you can ignore those 500 points per missile and just do charge attacks whenever you feel like.
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
Angry Hina

Post by Angry Hina »

Shouldnt this thread get integrated in the other Raiden IV MIkado Thread?
https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=68008

In both threads some talk about the (sometimes many) problems of Raiden IV. I wonder what exactly are these? And why Arrange is so much better than Arcade. Have played only Arcade and Boss Rush at the moment.