MiSTer cores for Garegga, Bakraid, Batrider, Sorcer Striker

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
it290

MiSTer cores for Garegga, Bakraid, Batrider, Sorcer Striker

Post by it290 »

I couldn't make the title long enough, but Kingdom Grandprix is also included. :)

Have been playing these all day and they seem pretty near perfection for a release candidate, but was wondering if anyone had PCBs to compare speed? Garegga at least seems to slowdown a bit more than the M2 release.

https://github.com/psomashekar/pr4m0d-MISTer-bin
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
parodius

Re: MiSTer cores for Garegga, Bakraid, Batrider, Sorcer Stri

Post by parodius »

Very cool! Thanks for the heads up.
My sales thread : 2020/07/20..MASTER.VER.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Garegga's audio seems really strange in the latest version. There is basically no point in playing it on MiSTer when I have Rev.2016, of course, but it's still pretty awesome to have it on the MiSTer.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Dying to get stuck into these, but I've been having the same problem since the Batrider core came out: selecting an .mra file from the '_Arcade' directory just kicks me back to the main menu of the OSD. If I try to open one of the new cores while another core is open, I get a little more info: "no rbf found!"

As far as I'm aware, everything is in the right place. The .rbf files are in '_Arcade/cores', the .mra files are in '_Arcade', and the things we probably can't discuss are in their respective folder. Has anyone else had this issue?
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Most of the Mister github pages let you report bugs, go to the "issues" tab. Or if you just want to see what bugs others are reporting, click on an issue and see if it's being worked on or already fixed.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Klatrymadon wrote:Dying to get stuck into these, but I've been having the same problem since the Batrider core came out: selecting an .mra file from the '_Arcade' directory just kicks me back to the main menu of the OSD. If I try to open one of the new cores while another core is open, I get a little more info: "no rbf found!"

As far as I'm aware, everything is in the right place. The .rbf files are in '_Arcade/cores', the .mra files are in '_Arcade', and the things we probably can't discuss are in their respective folder. Has anyone else had this issue?
Maybe try running that arcade organizer script if you haven't already.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Thanks, both. Yeah, I've tried the organizer script (as well as 'mame-getter', just in case) to no avail, sadly. I'll see about raising it as an issue!

Edit: they all work after I downloaded the raw code and stuck it in a .txt file, then changed the extension. Just downloading the .mras by right-clicking these links won't cut it. Sadly, though, my CRT can't sync with any of these cores - I need to find one that definitely works with every non-standard refresh rate!
Restart_Point

Post by Restart_Point »

Klatrymadon wrote:Dying to get stuck into these, but I've been having the same problem since the Batrider core came out
Batrider didn't work for me at first, seemed to be a missing/incomplete ROM issue. I ran update_all again last night and now it's working fine.
_rm_

Post by _rm_ »

Haven't tried them yet, but went online to check Sorcer Striker (love that game :mrgreen: ) video.

Immediately noticed that the intro music is super fast, like 2x the normal rythm. Anyone knows what's the problem?

Any more sound (or other kind) problems?
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Yes, there are some open incidents for music and sound issues (also see Garegga music/sound balance). Looks like the core developer is aware.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Thanks Restart_Point - it turned out my issue was having downloaded the .mra files from the wrong place. They work now that all they contain is the 'raw' data. :)
_rm_ wrote:Haven't tried them yet, but went online to check Sorcer Striker (love that game :mrgreen: ) video.

Immediately noticed that the intro music is super fast, like 2x the normal rythm. Anyone knows what's the problem?

Any more sound (or other kind) problems?
I noticed a graphical glitch at the very start of Bakraid, too - a little square of pixels turned blue and stayed that way throughout the Axebeak fight.

Also, the games won't sync on CRT for me. This is an issue I've had with the Cave CV68000 cores as well as the Raizing ones, and I haven't heard anyone else make the same complaint, but I'll share the details here on the off chance that someone might be able to help: https://github.com/psomashekar/pr4m0d-M ... /issues/29
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I had to change the orientation via osd for a couple cave cores to get them to sync properly on CRT. Maybe that's the issue here too.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Oh, I'll give that a try - thanks! I assumed they were booting in tate, which is what I'm after. I've tried changing them to 60hz in the OSD, thinking they'd surely sync at a more standard refresh rate, but the image was still rolling continuously...

Edit: no dice, alas.
jepjepjep

Post by jepjepjep »

I recorded back-to-back runs between Batrider PCB and MISTer and laid them side-by-side for comparison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69fUAa_hAWo (Mister Audio)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9ZpQiy4930 (PCB Audio)
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

jepjepjep wrote:I recorded back-to-back runs between Batrider PCB and MISTer and laid them side-by-side for comparison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69fUAa_hAWo (Mister Audio)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9ZpQiy4930 (PCB Audio)
Thanks a lot for this. How do you think they compare at the moment slowdowns-wise?
jepjepjep

Post by jepjepjep »

My gut feeling is that Mister has too much slowdown. The PCB slows down too in places but it feels like Mister slows down more excessively. I don't feel any input lag on the Mister, in fact it feels like it might be more responsive than the PCB to inputs.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

jepjepjep wrote:it might be more responsive than the PCB to inputs.
That theoretically can't be possible with Mister (not in noticeable terms, at least).

Hopefully there's enough interest in the slowdowns aspect so that we aren't before another Mame.
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

Bassa-Bassa wrote:
That theoretically can't be possible with Mister (not in noticeable terms, at least).

Hopefully there's enough interest in the slowdowns aspect so that we aren't before another Mame.
Why not? It totally depends on how the dev created the core. It can even have run-ahead to reduce latency in games, although that obviously wouldn't be in the spirit of the project.
donluca

Post by donluca »

Bassa-Bassa wrote:

As hilarious as that might sound, it could be that MiSTer has lower input latency due to errors in the emulation because it polls inputs in a different way than the original board which might be better, hence lower latency.

I remember ShmupMAME used a bunch of hacks to reduce input lag by changing the way some of the games' drivers worked.
Restart_Point

Post by Restart_Point »

[ISSUE FIXED IN NEW UPDATE]
Last edited by Restart_Point on Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

AFAIK Batrider/Garegga lag actually changes slightly throughout the game (with a non-obvious relationship to slowdown or the amount of perceivable shit going on) so it sounds believable that some kind of pipeline inaccuracy could make it "too good" by accident.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

donluca wrote:
Bassa-Bassa wrote:

As hilarious as that might sound, it could be that MiSTer has lower input latency due to errors in the emulation because it polls inputs in a different way than the original board which might be better, hence lower latency.

Do you mean that it's not known when is the input polled in every frame or is it more involved? I mean, because if it is just that, then we're talking about sub-frame figures, that's why I said "not in noticeable terms".
donluca

Post by donluca »

Bassa-Bassa wrote:Do you mean that it's not known when is the input polled in every frame or is it more involved? I mean, because if it is just that, then we're talking about sub-frame figures, that's why I said "not in noticeable terms".
It really depends on how the game read the inputs.
Sometimes they'll use a buffer or some kind of processing which will inevitably add some lag.

Also, I have to underline I'm 100% talking out of my ass because I don't know how those games read the inputs, so I'm throwing out a couple of guesses on why MiSTer's input latency might be better than the PCB.
_rm_

Post by _rm_ »

Yesterday i ran "update_all" and all games work except Sorcer Striker, which is the only one i cared to play :x :x :x

Anyone has an idea why? Only one game not working is kinda strange... Sometimes i get a green screen, other times i get nothing at all.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Sometimes update_all doesn't grab everything on the first pass. I've gotten into a habit of running it at least twice when I update.
Restart_Point

Post by Restart_Point »

_rm_ wrote:Yesterday i ran "update_all" and all games work except Sorcer Striker, which is the only one i cared to play :x :x :x

Anyone has an idea why? Only one game not working is kinda strange... Sometimes i get a green screen, other times i get nothing at all.
I logged this issue on Github yesterday. The ticket was soon closed and a new MRA for Sorcer Striker has just been added, which is now working for me, it was also one of the games I was keenest to play!

I was a bit apprehensive to sound like I was complaining but atrac17 replied almost immediately and fixed it, awesome of him!
I think he was already aware of it and had a "byteswap" fix in the works before I logged it.
_rm_

Post by _rm_ »

Great news!!!

Will try to update again later tonight
_rm_

Post by _rm_ »

Well, Sorcer Striker works after the last update, but the sound is "all over the place" during gameplay, which is a shame. Hope the developer is still working on it :cry:

There's also some graphic glitches...