Psikyo Shmups added to PS4 (Strikers 1-3, Dragon Blaze)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Lord British

Psikyo Shmups added to PS4 (Strikers 1-3, Dragon Blaze)

Post by Lord British »

Also Zero Gunner 2

Any thoughts on these ports?

It doesn't feel laggy, almost the opposite like it's too sensitive.

It's City Connection so I didn't expect much.

How do these compare with the Switch ports?
BIL

Re: Psikyo Shmups added to PS4 (Strikers 1-3, Dragon Blaze)

Post by BIL »

I punted on DB - I thought it responded surprisingly decently too, playing a few credits between M2 and Hamster titles. The total lack of savestates or practice tools will make it a rough time for newbies, but then again we all survived BITD somehow! Those obsessive enough to, anyway :twisted: May Ser SYO-SAMA be with you ;-;7

Might give Strikers III a shot, if only out of morbid curiosity (it being one of the few of these games without an existing port... if I'm not mistaken, Strikers II is just the ancient PS1 port, decent at the time but I, uh, already own it and have waited some two decades for an arcade port >_>).
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

BIL wrote:if I'm not mistaken, Strikers II is just the ancient PS1 port, decent at the time but I, uh, already own it and have waited some two decades for an arcade port >_>).
Wasn't CC Gunbird also based off a console version? I saw some use of transparencies that I didn't recall from my time with the PCB. Seems to be a real trend with these guys.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Lord British wrote:Also Zero Gunner 2
That's the Minus version right? Not a new port of Naomi or Dreamcast?

Looks like these are a lot cheaper if you buy the physical disc, rather than each game separately as digital (assuming you want them all).
Last edited by Jeneki on Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:05 am, edited 3 times in total.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Rastan78 wrote:
BIL wrote:if I'm not mistaken, Strikers II is just the ancient PS1 port, decent at the time but I, uh, already own it and have waited some two decades for an arcade port >_>).
Wasn't CC Gunbird also based off a console version? I saw some use of transparencies that I didn't recall from my time with the PCB. Seems to be a real trend with these guys.
Yeah from Jaimers' reports on MAME vs these ports, the inaccuracies in Gunbird 2 sounded very much like what I recalled from the PS2 Gunbird 1 & 2 disc. Was never as well-regarded as either the Saturn or Dreamcast versions of those games, respectively... kind of a shame Psikyo didn't land in hands as capable as M2's or Hamster's.

The one that really burns my ass is Strikers II, as while the first game's Saturn version, just like Gunbird's, was always regarded as "really goddamn close," neither machine's Strikers II was ever at that level, even to casual eyes. A dead giveaway as to which version you're seeing is the missing frames, particularly on transformed bosses... Cross Sinker's transformation becomes a slideshow on PS1 and SS. The Saturn version also has hella slowdown, and IIRC, both did some really odd things with the hitboxes. pegboy always mentioned those.

On balance, with my already having all this stuff one way or another, if that Strikers 1999 port is good, I'll consider the whole shitshow worth it. :lol: I'm really curious as to whether they actually ported the AC version or just dredged up some godforsaken phone thing, should one even exist.
pulsemod

Post by pulsemod »

there's definitely a phone version, I remember being startled that was the only home version at all. if the latency ends up being playable then I'll have to grab this port
BIL

Post by BIL »

Oh no :shock: :lol: Ah, maybe it's better than them working from scratch. >_> Might see some Hybrid Moments shit if these shitbirds get loose on the code, naw mean.

Well, let's begin evaluation of basic product characteristics. Image (APROPOS BGM FOR CITY CONNECTION PRODUCT ♫)

EDIT: First impression: Just like Dragon Blaze, from amateur perspective this feels surprisingly reponsive. I'd rate it as tolerable. I forgot how Tech Bonuses work in 99 Image OH SHIT I was supposed to be medal chaining too wasn't I :shock: Well, at least at first glance it feels alright. No practice modes to speak of, exactly like DB.

*nom*

Not sure if there are significant regional differences, but it seems this is "Strikers 1945 III," not Strikers 99. IIRC, III was the overseas ver? Might be of concern to enthusiasts.

Can't say anything for its accuracy, unfortunately. As with DB, would love to hear from more qualified players on that score. Seems like it could be a decent budget alternative / stopgap port.

Gotta say, as with Strikers 45 II, I always dug the BGM. Good STARS N STRIPES n MAWMS APPLE PIE valour for the stages, plus balls/wall chuggin metal for boss duels, plus some badass tracknames like BATTLE OF EXTREME NORTH and IN THE NAME OF STRIKERS Image I don't get it when people bash Strikers II's OST. If you don't like DEVILS TOWER ~ ARRANGE VER you can eat my dick tbh! (■`w´■)

Well anyway chaps, I don't feel entirely brutalised with DB and Strikers III for PS4. Interested to hear what others think. May return to blazin 4 that Ian 2ALL pending "NAW THEY BROKE IT" reports Image Image
Martinov

Post by Martinov »

I may well buy a physical copy if the games are typically (reasonably) responsive across the board. One of my biggest gaming regrets was selling my PS2 copy of Dragon Blaze, so this would be a small chip off my shoulder.
BIL

Post by BIL »

I'd forgotten the visceral pleasure of Dragon Blaze's double tap. :o *BLAM* to whack the target, *BLAM* again to launch your buddy into the resulting cloud of DEM COINZ. :cool: What a genius mechanic, having your pointblank shotgun double as a bulldozer for carting off loot! Big enemies tend to drop way too much gold for you to efficiently grab alone, and with the buzzsaw pace, an unpatrolled screen will spiral out of control fast. Never really got the hang of the mobile turret thing though, I get scurred fast without the Dragon Shot chambered to annihilate the next big bastard. Speedkills being integral to survival, ofc, even moreso than Psikyo's usual.

Between DB, GB2, ZG2, Gunspike and Strikers '99, what a triumphant high note Nakamura & co went out on at the turn of the century. Quite a trip going between DB/99 and Rabio Lepus (just released last week on ACA). Guys had a certain fast, violent (KILL EM BEFORE THEY KILL YOU :shock:) and zero-filler ethos very at odds with their goofy cheesecake-filled aesthetics, I dig. :cool:
pulsemod

Post by pulsemod »

BIL wrote:Not sure if there are significant regional differences, but it seems this is "Strikers 1945 III," not Strikers 99. IIRC, III was the overseas ver?
not sure either, but it looks like the JP copy of the collection comes with 1999. I'll probably lean towards that version, too bad they don't just include both (unless there really are no differences)
Last edited by pulsemod on Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Yes, Strikers 1945 III is the "international" version variant of the original JPN Strikers 1999 arcade PCB and was properly distributed stateside by Jaleco USA arcade subsidairy (you might recall that both Strikers 1945 arcade PCB kits & Strikers 1945 II arcade PCB kits were also distributed by Jaleco USA themselves as well). I recall playing Strikers 1945 arcade PCB housed in a Dynamo upright cab at the "Electric Underground" arcade joint back in 1995 -- it was priced at a mere two nickels per credit & touted as a "cheaper" arcade stg title to try your hand at (as all the arcade games & pinball machines took nickels to "credit 'em up" while inside there).

It's ace owning/playing the actual Stikers 1999 arcade PCB with original mini POS arcade poster as a bonus. I had the cool opportunity to play the classic Psikyo Strikers 1945 III arcade PCB housed inside a Dynamo upright cabinet setup at a local movie theater joint back in the late 2000s, except it'd cost an initial 50 cents to start a single player session and another 25 cents to continue if so desired.

I forget what the secret Maintenance Codes for the Strikers 1999/Strikers 1945 III arcade PCBs are (when in Arcade Operator's Menu screen setting mode).

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
BIL

Post by BIL »

pulsemod wrote:
BIL wrote:Not sure if there are significant regional differences, but it seems this is "Strikers 1945 III," not Strikers 99. IIRC, III was the overseas ver?
not sure either, but it looks like the JP copy of the collection comes with 1999. I'll probably lean towards that version, too bad they don't just include both (unless there really are no differences)
Interesting, thanks! I'm not sure how much I'll commit to these ports just yet, but it's excellent to know.

Actually, given how trivial swapping regions on Psikyo PCBs tends to be, and given the PSN store itself lists 1999, not III... I've a hunch, if I set my PS4's system language to JP, it'll run Strikers 1999 instead. One sec.

EDIT: Haha, yep, there we go.

I'm guessing there isn't much difference between the regions. You need to delete your save data, if you've ran it as 1945 III before; otherwise it'll switch to that region after it's done booting up.

Have to say again, sitting down after some time away, it does feel nice n' snappy.
PC Engine Fan X! wrote:Yes, Strikers 1945 III is the "international" version variant of the original JPN Strikers 1999 arcade PCB and was properly distributed stateside by Jaleco USA arcade subsidairy (you might recall that both Strikers 1945 arcade PCB kits & Strikers 1945 II arcade PCB kits were also distributed by Jaleco USA themselves as well). I recall playing Strikers 1945 arcade PCB housed in a Dynamo upright cab at the "Electric Underground" arcade joint back in 1995 -- it was priced at a mere two nickels per credit & touted as a "cheaper" arcade stg title to try your hand at (as all the arcade games & pinball machines took nickels to "credit 'em up" while inside there).
I had no idea Jaleco USA were involved there! :o I've only ever handled bare PCBs, so that figures. Surely the best STG thing they did next to Cybattler. :mrgreen:
It's ace owning/playing the actual Stikers 1999 arcade PCB with original mini POS arcade poster as a bonus. I had the cool opportunity to play the classic Psikyo Strikers 1945 III arcade PCB housed inside a Dynamo upright cabinet setup at a local movie theater joint back in the late 2000s, except it'd cost an initial 50 cents to start a single player session and another 25 cents to continue if so desired.
Ah man, the latter-day Psikyo trinity - Dragon Blaze, Gunbird 2 and Strikers 99 - I've always considered picking up boards, just for how reference-standard they are as STGs. The PS2 and DC ports of the first two are quite enjoyable, at least from 1ALL standpoint, but with stuff this disciplined I'd like to just go to the source.
I forget what the secret Maintenance Codes for the Strikers 1999/Strikers 1945 III arcade PCBs are (when in Arcade Operator's Menu screen setting mode).

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
I was wondering for a sec "Wait - how are you supposed to unlock the X36?!" only to see the game is hardcoded for it ^__^ Just hit "up" at the Roulette / "?" icon, at the Ship Select screen, and everyone's favourite Macross fighter is ready to roll out! I'm actually enjoying the Raptor aka MaoMao Fukkatsu and its piercing lasers quite a bit, having never really played with the default ships much BITD.
Steven

Post by Steven »

I think this one is probably the best fit for City Connection: https://youtu.be/sC0cvwnG0Ik
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Typically the main regional difference for Psikyo games is that on the JP versions you can't credit feed your way past the last couple of stages since you'll get sent back to the beginning of the stage. Can't recall if they stayed consistent with that on 1999. I kinda prefer the stage checkpoints as it can be nice for practicing the harder stages on PCB that way.

It is great how easy it is to swap regions on those later Psikyo boarfd.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Steven wrote:
I think this one is probably the best fit for City Connection: https://youtu.be/sC0cvwnG0Ik
:lol:

That's a much more appropriate name for CC themselves, too! Never has the amiably mundane business of ports been so nerve-wrackingly unpredictable!
Rastan78 wrote:Typically the main regional difference for Psikyo games is that on the JP versions you can't credit feed your way past the last couple of stages since you'll get sent back to the beginning of the stage. Can't recall if they stayed consistent with that on 1999. I kinda prefer the stage checkpoints as it can be nice for practicing the harder stages on PCB that way.

It is great how easy it is to swap regions on those later Psikyo boarfd.
Aha! I always forget that detail. Yeah, I always liked the JP knockback approach too, given what a wall those latter-loop stages tend to be (and how quickly the first four fly past).

I've found the PS4's replay capture surprisingly useful for re-learning both DB and 99's Technical Bonuses. I'm not overly fond of 99's take, tbh - feels a bit indistinct - but I dig DB's more aggressive, definitive "stab the in your black heart" approach.

I notice the HUD for 99 tracks your best medal chain, a nice little touch. 7 was my best so far, IIRC, not that I have much business going for MAD CHAINZ with survival unsecured. I think I'll try sticking with the Raptor, at least for the basic 1ALL. Getting some nice Pancake Memories from this thing.
MOSQUITO FIGHTER

Post by MOSQUITO FIGHTER »

What’s the deal with the price gouge on the USA digital versions? You can import and ship both physical versions for less than buying one of the collections on the USA PSN store.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Tengai, Gunbarich, and Gunbird 2 are now on PSN, if anyone is picking them up individually.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
lovecraft

Post by lovecraft »

I had the Nintendo Switch version.
In TATE mode, Dragon Blaze is not visually on par with the PCB played via a Supergun+cheap upscaler on the same TV screen: it's perfectly emulated, but you get a blurry image with dull colors whatever the filter/no filter you add to it.
pulsemod

Post by pulsemod »

any other reports on responsiveness? I know it's such a subjective thing, but I'm still on the edge of my seat on whether I want to import one or maybe even both collections
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

I got both but opted for Economy shipping since it was free. Regretting that now…
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
BIL

Post by BIL »

lovecraft wrote:

I had the Nintendo Switch version.
In TATE mode, Dragon Blaze is not visually on par with the PCB played via a Supergun+cheap upscaler on the same TV screen: it's perfectly emulated, but you get a blurry image with dull colors whatever the filter/no filter you add to it.
Blimey, really? :shock: On PS4 Dragon Blaze, whatever setting disables the filtering entirely looks ok to me. No shimmering, colours seem fine, and pixels are crisp and easy to make out. No tearing or anything during movement either. Looks about the same as M2 and Hamster's stuff when similarly stripped of filtering (I never use 'em, give me raw pixels any day).
lovecraft

Post by lovecraft »

BIL wrote:Blimey, really? On PS4 Dragon Blaze, whatever setting disables the filtering entirely looks ok to me. No shimmering, colours seem fine, and pixels are crisp and easy to make out. No tearing or anything during movement either. Looks about the same as M2 and Hamster's stuff when similarly stripped of filtering (I never use them).
Absolutely. At the time I owned the pcb played with a supergun on the same screen used for my Nintendo Switch. I had bought that Psikyo compilation because it was convenient not to have the Supergun and the pcb to reconnect. The Switch version offers a good "Very easy" mode for training, and the display looks decent in Yoko mode.
But in TATE mode with the screen at 90°, the image quality in terms of sharpness and colors is much less vibrant and precise than what the pcb outputs on the same tv screen through VGA or Scart with a cheap GBS8200 converter. I was very surprised by the difference when comparing.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Interesting... how was the input response versus PCB, out of curiosity? I don't have my Strikers II PCB on hand to compare, and I'm 90% sure the version on PSN will just be the PS1 port (again) anyway, but I'm kinda curious now.

Why do CC have to be so oblique and ass-backwards about everything. :? I might have to punt at that Strikers II now, in case they've actually gone and done a decent job. My far-off dream, AC Strikers II on console. 3;

Snapped some caps of PS4 DB. TATE and yoko appear functionally identical, dots are sharp (just how I prefer em :cool:). First six caps are TATE, last three are yoko.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Forgive me if this isn't the issue you're having, but just in case it is: choosing "00" from the display filter options doesn't turn them off - that's just the first numbered filter. You have to tap left one more time and choose "OFF" to really get rid of 'em and reveal the raw pixels.

Edit: actually, I think I'm confusing this with the ACA display settings. Let me check!

Edit: I was mixing them up, but 'Type 1' on the display options should give you the unfiltered pixels, as in BIL's pics. Not sure what's going on otherwise!
BIL

Post by BIL »

Definitely Type 1 for the raw pixels on PS4 - Type 2 adds blur, and Type 3 adds scanlines on top of that. ala The Curse of Hamster, you can't have sharp + scanlines - grrr! Oh well. TBH I'm a paranoid bugger, I never play with any filters in anything. :mrgreen:

A few weeks on I'm pretty happy with these, going to take a very tentative mosey around and see if Strikers II might've by some miracle received a proper arcade version release, not the ancient and long-serving PS1 ver.

EDIT: Oof, I feel 900jpy lighter! Yeah, they recycled the PS1 port of Strikers II, yet again. It seems to control fine, but then so does the PS1 disc. A stalwart port for its time, and having a digital copy around isn't the worst thing in the world, but not at all what I was hoping for. Thus ends my brief soiree with CC/ZeroDiv. Bunch of divs indeed.

Gotta be thankful for small mercies, I guess. Decent versions of DB and Strikers '99 are more than I was expecting to net out of these shitbirds. Those'll keep you busy for a while, to say the least. Not gonna bother with GB2 based on Jaimers' reports of the Steam version. Sounds like they just dumped the PS2 port, which was worse than the DC port, which I have. Ah well.

Can you imagine next week, picking up ACA Gun Frontier and discovering it's the fucking Saturn version? Or it turning out M2's Ray'z collection was just the old console ports? :lol: A little professionalism here, Jeeesus.
Steven

Post by Steven »

...there was a Saturn version of Gun Frontier? How did I not know about this until now? Apparently the Saturn version's messed up somehow, too.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Haha, yeah - it was a heroic effort by none other than Fujino of Triangle Service, who basically had to buy his own PCB and piece what he could together from there, because Taito didn't give a shit :lol: (fittingly, I guess, as they were hardly very supportive of even the OG staff!). Naturally, the AC version's finer workings re: Rank aren't captured, making for a dramatically easier game. It's still quite enjoyable, just on Gun Frontier's sheer aesthetic presence, but next week will be the real deal.
Steven

Post by Steven »

lol that reminds me of when Yuge was working at Capcom and someone brought in a Tatsujin PCB and Yuge game overed on the first boss!
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

BIL wrote: Gotta be thankful for small mercies, I guess. Decent versions of DB and Strikers '99 are more than I was expecting to net out of these shitbirds. Those'll keep you busy for a while, to say the least. Not gonna bother with GB2 based on Jaimers' reports of the Steam version. Sounds like they just dumped the PS2 port, which was worse than the DC port, which I have. Ah well.
Another thing about their GB2 port which I never see mentioned is that the music uses completely different instrumentation from the Naomi and DC versions, and it's often insufferably shrill and grating, completely ruining a lot of great compositions...
Steven

Post by Steven »

So what is the best way to play Strikers? I'm guessing it's probably PCB (or MVS cart/ACA for 1945 Plus)...