Psikyo Shmups added to PS4 (Strikers 1-3, Dragon Blaze)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
heli

Re: Psikyo Shmups added to PS4 (Strikers 1-3, Dragon Blaze)

Post by heli »

I think strikers 2 you need a TAS is the best play.
At least it is the first movie if i search.

This game is impossible, cant even bomb-run this game, checkpoints.
Ok Steven you from Japan maybe you can.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Apropos of nothing, I wonder why Strikers 1945 Plus isn't on the PS4 store in the PAL region, despite not being one of the few Japan-exclusive games (I think it's out everywhere on other platforms)...
BIL

Post by BIL »

Steven wrote:So what is the best way to play Strikers? I'm guessing it's probably PCB (or MVS cart/ACA for 1945 Plus)...
The first game's Saturn port has always been highly regarded (as has Gunbird's), though as usual with that generation, it may not be "arcade perfect" per se. Avoid the PS2 collection like the plague, it just dumps the PS1 ports into a particularly ugly package, a practice that haunts the games to this day. :lol: IIRC Gunbird's PS2 pack is a similar situation... those are best played via Saturn and DC respectively.

Strikers II is very obviously different on PS1 versus PCB, WRT patterns and hitboxes, but an ok time in its own right. Saturn version is rarer and performs worse.

Plus seems fine on ACA, though notably, it was the only ACA title I can recall that launched with serious issues (godawful choppy slowdown), swiftly patched. I still wonder if they left it to ZeroDiv who cocked something up.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Klatrymadon wrote:Apropos of nothing, I wonder why Strikers 1945 Plus isn't on the PS4 store in the PAL region, despite not being one of the few Japan-exclusive games (I think it's out everywhere on other platforms)...
Speaking of that, a couple of the former JP exclusives, Strikers 1945 III and Sengoku Cannon finally released in the US on Switch.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

BrianC wrote:Speaking of that, a couple of the former JP exclusives, Strikers 1945 III and Sengoku Cannon finally released in the US on Switch.
Fortunately they were only digital exclusives, the physical NA collections include both.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Psikyo’s library has to be both one of the most prolific and disrespected in gaming. Got my discs in yesterday, and this really is a bizarre little hodgepodge of gaming greats. DB looks great, Strikers III runs better than the Switch port, but hot damn is it depressing to even open that options menu. Tate/Yoko, some button swapping, two shitty screen filters... that's IT.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Picked up disc 2 since I was satisfied with the performance on disc 1. I wonder if these are all the Psikyo games we'll ever get. Space Bomber, Pilot Kids, and Zero Gunner 1 forever in purgatory (and Dig Fight since I'm a Lode Runner junkie). I suppose they wouldn't make enough sales to be worth it.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Sengoku Strider wrote:
BrianC wrote:Speaking of that, a couple of the former JP exclusives, Strikers 1945 III and Sengoku Cannon finally released in the US on Switch.
Fortunately they were only digital exclusives, the physical NA collections include both.
Still worth mentioning that they are available separately now, though I won't touch any more of them on Switch.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Electric Underground just posted this message on YouTube:
Electric Underground wrote:As requested, the City Connection Psikyo input lag saga continues ha. Thanks to a patron, Silius, I have purchased and lag tested Strikers 1945 II on PS4, it comes in at an okay 4 frames. For reference, the PCB is 2 frames and there are ps4 ports like Ketsui that are 2 frames, so not amazing but not awful either. Though I was hoping for 3 frames or lower. If you want to see more lag test results, check out my newly rebuilt website :-) https://theelectricundergr.wixsite.com
For reference, he measured the Switch version out at 7 frames.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

^ I've been playing these sets quite a bit, and they do all mostly feel very damn good. For pure game feel, I think they're an amazing value. It's like $4 USD a game for the import sets.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Unfortunately, this version of Strikers II could have literal zero lag frames via CockPit, the revolutionary cyber module that connects your cock directly to the screen for unrivalled precision, and it'd still be completely unacceptable by current-gen standards. Because it's not an emulation of the PCB, but the ancient PS1 port. Which was a godsend in its day but is very much of its "arcade imperfect" time.

At least, that's the only conclusion I can draw, with it missing exactly the same animation frames as the PS1 port. I recall Raiden and pegboy mentioning hitbox differences, too, but it's been a while.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

BIL wrote:Unfortunately, this version of Strikers II could have literal zero lag frames via CockPit, the revolutionary cyber module that connects your cock directly to the screen for unrivalled precision,
Sanwa's version has a longer shaft and a looser feel. While Seimitsu provides a shaft for chodes with a tighter engage and quick snap back to neutral.
BIL

Post by BIL »

There's also the infamous DONKEY CHODE!

NSFW :o
Spoiler

A grown man gripping his DONKEY CHODE :shock:
Spoiler
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

What did they think would be happening with that chode to where the dust cover needs to be the size of a dinner plate?
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

I might be wrong here, but I don't think those old Nintendo cabs had the dust cover plate originally. That was potentially added later on.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Jonpachi wrote:I might be wrong here, but I don't think those old Nintendo cabs had the dust cover plate originally. That was potentially added later on.
Yeah it almost looks like you can still see the black sharpie they used to draw out the circle.

That's an improvised chode deflector.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

It just feels more natural to use the chode without protection.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.