Ray'z Arcade Chronology [Taito x M2] - PS4/Switch [2023]

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
mirkvid

Re: Ray'z Arcade Chronology [Taito x M2] - PS4/Switch [2023]

Post by mirkvid »

Awful quiet in here now that this is out. Must be too busy playing it! Hopefully mine is here by next weekend. Maybe time to fire up the Saturn in the meantime...
BIL

Post by BIL »

mirkvid wrote:Awful quiet in here now that this is out. Must be too busy playing it!
Damn straight, going for that RG2 nomiss. :cool:
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Mine arrived today (the standard edition for Switch)! That was fast!
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Play-Asia hasn't shipped mine yet, so I'm playing the PSone version so I can have the full comparison in my head once I get to dig in properly.

I bought the PS4 version, but now have my eyes on the Switch too...
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
BIL

Post by BIL »

Not normally one to notice cheevos - just clears n' scores, thanks :o - but I gotta give props to my latest one, for dying and pressing [bomb] at the same time. Image :lol:

I'd forgotten how angry RS bosses get if you go for 100% destruction. Like st3/JUMBO USAGI, if you shoot his minelaying dick off, he'll open up on you with a furious spreadshot. :cool: Different story if you just want them dead.

ala Darius Gaiden and Garegga, I love this aesthetic, and the accompanying lethal pressure. Proper titanic bosses bristling with artillery - flamethrowers, grenades, rockets, lasers - often revealing fiendish new tricks as the battle rages on. So fuckin chunky n' crunchy.

*can't recall these dudes names offhand :cool: I never forget Hannibal/st4, Alaric/st6 and Spartacus/st7, though. st5 will forever be BIG JEFFREY, and Alaric JEFFREYS BRO. Out for revenge, obv.

Stage 7 is less nightmarish than I recalled. Long, though, equalising the generally short n' breakneck-fast earlier stages. SLAUGHTER HOUR is one of the all-time great final stage BGMs, smoothly harrowing as a terrible denouement nears. Finally noticed after all these years, that it and "Luminescence" (st5) share a leitmotif with Ceramic Heart (credits), another of Tamayo's best. (wonderful reggae arrangement, from 1997's Cinetique Rave)

I never realised st2's Old Gaul City wasn't some ancient ruin, but had been frickin nuked from orbit by the Secilian armada you tear through in st4. Blimey. Puts the tranquility in a different light. That's the peace of the grave bro!

RG02 lockon was and is one of my favourite STG weapons ever. Rare balance of cathartic demolition and painterly finesse. The catch is an especially choice contrast with RG01 - while 01's got half the lockons, its lasers are always ready to go. RG02 has a massive sixteen lockons, but there's just the one arc, and if you send it far away, it won't return until it's found its mark. Leads to some interesting situations where the arc is tearing through targets on one side of the screen, while you're on the other holding off enemies with Shot, until the bolt unceremoniously blindsides them. They thought they were safe! :cool:

Etruria, population 20 million... god damn. For all its bloodening mayhem, RS is one of the most knowingly un-celebratory STGs there is. The little stage guides are beautifully done, though I have to wonder what happened to st3/Palmyra Valley? Just says "No Information Available." Assuming it's not that way in the official docs (in which case it should be left exactly as-is), they should fill that in. I'll write something for 'em FO FREE if they want. Image
RobHimself

Post by RobHimself »

I still can't get over how responsive these games feel. I've never played a PS4 title that feels like there's no input delay. RayStorm is what I've been playing.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Even the Switch version has achievements. Feels nice and responsive on the big screen TV with the mayflash F500 Elite. HD and SD versions of the 3D games look nice. I do miss the extra mode from the PS1 version of Raystorm, but it's understandable why it isn't included.
BIL

Post by BIL »

I wonder if they might add the PS1 ports later on, as with G-Darius HD. Or am I mis-remembering, and that included the PS1 port at launch? I know G-Darius v2 came later on.
RobHimself wrote:I still can't get over how responsive these games feel. I've never played a PS4 title that feels like there's no input delay. RayStorm is what I've been playing.
How's your display+controller setup? Ray'z is utterly airtight for sure, easily matching real hardware + CRT, but all of M2's PS4 emulations (ShotTriggers/Cozmic/Namco Archives/Contra/Castlevanias) feel that way to me, too. ACA gets damn close, I assume not quite reaching M2's sharper-than-sharp due to being 1:1 warts n' all, as opposed to M2's addition of active input latency reduction (though the Gotch-developed ACA titles like A-JAX and Thunder Cross also feature lag reduction, and likewise handle super-sharp). Stuff like Caladrius, Ikaruga and Qute's games all impressed me too, I'd compare Natsuki Chronicle in particular to ShotTriggers, that sense of absolute 1:1 connection beween controller and screen.

Metal Slug XX is my red line, I don't know if it's just a PSP emulator or what, but it's like a weighted training vest hack compared to the ACA Slugs. Capcom Arcade Stadium is marginally better, but still feels floaty enough I'm not going to bother with it any time soon. Killer selection but I've got way too many other arcade translations with little-to-nil noticeable lag.

Wouldn't surprise me if Raystorm is one of those games, like Metal Black, that's especially low-lag on its native PCB (as opposed to Namco's late 80s stuff, which tends to be 4f+, eg Dragon Spirit, Phelios, and Dangerous Seed). TZW_Guile quoted ACA Metal Black as +.5f latency vs the PCB, and faster than upscaling the board to modern display... I could believe it, as with Image Fight being quoted at +1f by Hamster themselves, when they previewed their M72 quartet for Masahiko Ishida (ex-IREM composer / rockstar). Even Mihara seems ok with ACA TGM, and that man's hatred of input latency is eternal.

Not meaning to console war / internet dance battle, I'm strictly utilitarian on this stuff. I've just been impressed with what I assumed would be a Bloodborne adaptor. Avoided HD consoles for a solid decade beforehand, only gave PS4 a chance after Sumez gave ACA Bubble Bobble his blessing. The man has no mercy for purveyors of subpar BB. Image
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Is Ray'z getting a US digital release at any point? Or do I have to order from an importer?
seattlexc

Post by seattlexc »

Sima Tuna wrote:Is Ray'z getting a US digital release at any point? Or do I have to order from an importer?
To add onto this great question, if someone was to buy a physical release where's the best place for an American to buy one these days?
RIP Seattle SuperSonics - 1967–2008
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Sima Tuna wrote:Is Ray'z getting a US digital release at any point? Or do I have to order from an importer?
It's already in full English, so I would be surprised if it didn't, though with ININ and Strictly Limited I wouldn't be surprised if they took their time doing so.
Last edited by BrianC on Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

As much as I love what M2 do with accuracy and input delay... man, I wish someone would give them a few extra bucks to touch up the assets.
I know they did, but... they need more. I'm hoping that when RetroTink HD comes out, I can add some scanlines to these games, and they'll help them look a bit better.
Kinda like playing Dreamcast on the CRT.

Another thing, the scanline options in the Taito collections have been abysmal. It's one option, and is VERY heavy handed. The smoothing feature is excellent, so that's great. I have no
idea what is up with the scanlines, as the ShotTriggers have adjustable ones.

As said, I look forward to the RetroTink HD to sort out these scanline woes.

All that being said, very worthwhile collection.
cfx

Post by cfx »

According to Gematsu, ININ Games will be publishing it digitally in the west along with their physical versions:
https://www.gematsu.com/games/rayz-arcade-chronology

I don't find reference to anything digital on their website: https://www.iningames.com/
cfx

Post by cfx »

evil_ash_xero wrote:As much as I love what M2 do with accuracy and input delay... man, I wish someone would give them a few extra bucks to touch up the assets.
I know they did, but... they need more. I'm hoping that when RetroTink HD comes out, I can add some scanlines to these games, and they'll help them look a bit better.

Another thing, the scanline options in the Taito collections have been abysmal. It's one option, and is VERY heavy handed. The smoothing feature is excellent, so that's great. I have no

How is the Retrotink HD, or any scaler, supposed to do this? You would want scanlines applied only to the original game's image within the frame, not any border used or the M2 gadgets. Even if you just only used it with everything off where the border is black so the scanlines are hidden, how does the scaler know the original game resolution, the exact upscaling factor, and whatever else might be required to align the scanlines properly?

Perhaps I'm just not smart enough, but I do not see how any of this is possible. As far as I can understand it, effective scanlines depend on starting with the original 240p (or whatever resolution) image and that isn't the case here.

It's funny to me that you like the smoothing but not the scanlines. On Cozmic Darius Gaiden as an example, I feel the total opposite, smoothing is far too blurry but the scanlines are fine. Also Darius and Darius II in Cozmic Arcade are perfect to me with their scanlines and filtering. I have the same complaint with ACA where I'd like an adjustable blur as the one used is too much to me.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

cfx wrote:
evil_ash_xero wrote:As much as I love what M2 do with accuracy and input delay... man, I wish someone would give them a few extra bucks to touch up the assets.

How is the Retrotink HD, or any scaler, supposed to do this? You would want scanlines applied only to the original game's image within the frame, not any border used or the M2 gadgets. Even if you just only used it with everything off where the border is black so the scanlines are hidden, how does the scaler know the original game resolution, the exact upscaling factor, and whatever else might be required to align the scanlines properly?

Perhaps I'm just not smart enough, but I do not see how any of this is possible. As far as I can understand it, effective scanlines depend on starting with the original 240p (or whatever resolution) image and that isn't the case here.

It's funny to me that you like the smoothing but not the scanlines. On Cozmic Darius Gaiden as an example, I feel the total opposite, smoothing is far too blurry but the scanlines are fine. Also Darius and Darius II in Cozmic Arcade are perfect to me with their scanlines and filtering. I have the same complaint with ACA where I'd like an adjustable blur as the one used is too much to me.
I am probably one of the two to three "smoothing" or "bilinear" fans on this forum (only for HDTVs, though). As for the the scanlines... I'm not super picky about them. I use them in emulators all the time. If they're not super accurate, it's not the end of the world.
At the same time, you may be right, and they may suck. And that may not be the fix I'm looking for. In that case, there would be no fix. But I'm thinking it would work like those Arcadeforge SLGs from a while back. People were happy with those.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Some great footage of the R-Gear prototype here. (I know everyone's seen it, but this guy's setups are always amazing.) :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-waTI1u ... l=333SPGTO
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

Yeah i love his videos.
Phellan Wolf

Post by Phellan Wolf »

I don’t want to double dip :(
Already have the SLG game preordered but damn the videos I have seen and what you’re saying makes me want to have it now :oops:
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

1-death clear on the new port this time, all defaults. I don't think Nomiss is worth it given this game's brutality, staying alive in the end alone is already a gg moment. I actually haven't put more time with R-Gray 2 but I don't like how weak he is and max lockon takes ages to perform.
DenimDemon

Ray'z Arcade Chronology [Taito x M2] - PS4/Switch [2023]

Post by DenimDemon »

After spending Saturday night playing the 360 port and ps1 back and forth I woke up and downloaded this double dip with SLG ordered. I’m stupid and weak for Raystorm….

I’m missing something or there’s no training mode so far?
Also they didn’t include the Extra Mode in Raystorm? What about the other ships presented on other ports?
BIL

Post by BIL »

copy-paster wrote:1-death clear on the new port this time, all defaults. I don't think Nomiss is worth it given this game's brutality, staying alive in the end alone is already a gg moment. I actually haven't put more time with R-Gray 2 but I don't like how weak he is and max lockon takes ages to perform.
Congrats! I'm gonna try nailing down an RG2 nomiss this week, have had some promising results... maybe it's the unfathomable luxury of setting up saves for every stage and boss, I'm used to making do with two or three in ACA, or none on PS1/PCB. :mrgreen:
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

I can't play it yet but my fourth? fifth? big box of Limited Edition Taito crap has just arrived. :lol:
Steven

Post by Steven »

RayForce keeps annihilating me on stage 3. I am now somewhat convinced that in some unknown way it is in fact significantly more difficult than Layer Section.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

That's really interesting - I've been finding the Rayforce port here a fair bit easier than the Saturn version, but as I haven't played the latter in a while I could be imagining things. It just feels as though enemies and bosses have a bit less health here, or that the default firing rate is faster. (This is really noticeable on the st2 boss, whose engine/thruster things go down in about a second.)

I still haven't had much time with the collection yet, but it seems every bit as good as G-Darius HD, so far. I particularly like the scanline filter used here, which doesn't seem to use a lot of fancy glowing or curving effects, but places the lines where they should be and generally looks very clean, sometimes as though you're playing on a PVM. :P
Last edited by Klatrymadon on Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
BIL

Post by BIL »

There was always this nebulous uncertainty around Rayforce (F3) vs Layer Section (SS)'s default difficulties; it's been forever, but I think LS's extend rate is more generous by default too, which might actually raise the Rank earlier on?

As always with ShotTriggers, even the old faithful 32bit port gains, taking on an Alt. Ver role now that there's a proper 1:1 reference standard home release. :cool:
Steven

Post by Steven »

Lower extend scores on Layer Section would certainly explain why I was able to get to stage 4~5 without too much trouble but typically game over at about the middle of stage 3 here.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Layer Section's extends were more generous: 500,000k, 1 million, 1.5 etc as I recall. Versus 1m and 2m on the arcade.

The difficulty was also significantly lowered on the port, but this might be harder to notice because the port was locked to the game's default autofire rate, while the Ray'Z set effectively doubles the auto rate, making your shot twice as strong. That being said, the arcade version is definitely harder.

I spent last night enjoying the Strahl concert blu ray and throwing a few credits into all three games, in reverse order.

Ohfivepro deleted his twitter post that has the unlock code for all the maps in RayCrisis; I need to find it again since I don't want to bother with the cumbersome stage randomizer.
apatheticTurd

Post by apatheticTurd »

EmperorIng wrote:
Ohfivepro deleted his twitter post that has the unlock code for all the maps in RayCrisis; I need to find it again since I don't want to bother with the cumbersome stage randomizer.
These are the arcade Raycrisis cheats:
After inserting a credit, input any of these button combinations at the "Push Start Button to Start" screen to unlock the relevant effect. A chime will be heard if the code is inputted correctly.

Note that the effect of these codes is not saved alongside your personal ID and must be reinputted for each playthrough.

Unlocks WR-03: Up, Right, Up, Right, Down, Up, Left, Shot, Laser
Unlock all 42 maps: Up, Right, Down, Left, Shot, Shot, Shot, Laser, Bomb, Bomb, Bomb, Bomb
Maximum Rank: Up, Up, Down, Down, Shot, Shot, Shot, Laser, Laser, Laser, Laser, Laser, Laser
Last edited by apatheticTurd on Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Thanks! What does that third cheat do?
apatheticTurd

Post by apatheticTurd »

EmperorIng wrote:Thanks! What does that third cheat do?
It sets the game at the maximum rank value (actually edited my post to make it clearer right as you responded) independantly of the difficulty dips. Gcmatome claims the director said it "makes for a fun survival game" when played that way.