Ray'z Arcade Chronology [Taito x M2] - PS4/Switch [2023]

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Bar81

Re: Ray'z Arcade Chronology [Taito x M2] - PS4/Switch [2023]

Post by Bar81 »

Koa Zo wrote:
Bar81 wrote:
Let's take everything you say at face value. They're incompetent or don't care about figuring out realistic dates. If this has been going on for 5 years, I'm not sure you're doing anything at this point other than old man yelling at clouds. This is how they operate, it might not be right but if you want the stuff they sell, patience is required. I find that the best approach in these situations is not to think about it until you get the shipping email and then it feels like a nice surprise. Speaking of, apparently the Turrican ultra sets just shipped.
Where am I yelling? What "I'm doing at this point" is recounting their behavior as a company so that others may be informed.
Why are you telling me to do exactly what I already do? - patiently wait for the release for the few items I do order from them.
I've never complained about waiting. I've complained about the predictable excuses they recycle and churn out for every release.

Incompetence isn't what I think is going on (besides with the graphic design issues). These are effectively ponzi scheme companies. Some continue to scrape by (First Press and SLG), some seem to be thriving (LRG), and some have left the customers high and dry (Watermellon, Dispatch)
They rely on launching and taking money for new products to manufacture and fulfill the old orders that they sold. Maybe they'll turn it around and actually get their act together, but most likely the cards will fall at some point and shit isn't going to ship - as we saw with Dispatch.

I didn't really have anything more to say on this topic after my initial comment. I had no desire to respond to CRPs defense of SLG, but you needed to defend them too, so hey let's derail the thread some more.
You're basically admitting to thinking something is an alleged "ponzi scheme" and you still given them your money. Calls into question your decision making. And no one is defending anything, just pointing out how silly your going on and on is as it accomplishes nothing (particularly when you're still giving them your money - that laugh in and of itself justifies my time in this thread).
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

EmperorIng wrote:I've discovered some decent tricks to really help improve my score in Storm, including the the hidden bonus multiplier that the crashing jetski in stage 3 has (it grants a ~1,000,000 points if killed with a x16 lock-on!).
Nice spot there. What's happening is the enemy (called a Lorelei) has a high base point value. The regular ones reward 200 pts. While that singular red one that appears is worth 4,000. Technically since the max x16 lock multiplier is x256 it should give 4,000x256 = 1,024,000. But since there is sort of a counterstop at the max points awarded for a single enemy you get the capped amount of 999,900.

In other words you can still get some beefy points off of it even without managing the 16 locks due to the high base value.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Rastan78 wrote:The enemy (called a Lorelei)
Image Image

I so adore diehard STGs where each swarming baddie has its own little name. ^w^

(I don't suppose there's one called "SPAZ" in there :lol:)
dmk1198

Post by dmk1198 »

Sorry guys I'm abit confused here
If I want the 3 game release it's £43.99 digital only UK?
But two games only is available on disc? £34.99?
Can u upgrade disc £10 say for raycrysis 3rd release?
Cheers
Also can I get r gear in any form?
CRP

Post by CRP »

dmk1198 wrote: Also can I get r gear in any form?
ps4 colletorsedition preorder is still up.Dont know if it will get a western digital release also unsure how to get jp version
https://www.strictlylimitedgames.com/pr ... dition-ps4
dmk1198

Post by dmk1198 »

CRP wrote:
dmk1198 wrote: Also can I get r gear in any form?
ps4 colletorsedition preorder is still up.Dont know if it will get a western digital release also unsure how to get jp version
https://www.strictlylimitedgames.com/pr ... dition-ps4
Cheers yes bit rich for my blood when HD versions £34.99 UK disc
Might go £43.99 for digital 3 game version , annoying how theyve done this
cfx

Post by cfx »

Japanese and Asian discs are still available and have English language:
https://www.play-asia.com/rayz-arcade-c ... /13/70fjl7
https://www.play-asia.com/rayz-arcade-c ... /13/70fykv

Lower price though shipping may be more:
https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/PLJM-17088
dmk1198

Post by dmk1198 »

cfx wrote:Japanese and Asian discs are still available and have English language:

Thnx so no way to get r gear in UK?
Think £45 my max budget here
And no ray,z anthology on disc UK?
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

It’s region-free, and one of the best shmup releases of the year. Just get it. R-Gear is just a janky prototype. Watch it on YouTube and don’t stress it. It’s just a curiosity.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
dmk1198

Post by dmk1198 »

Jonpachi wrote:It’s region-free, and one of the best shmup releases of the year. Just get it. R-Gear is just a janky prototype. Watch it on YouTube and don’t stress it. It’s just a curiosity.
Yes think I will cheers
£40 plus post pretty good thnx guys
dmk1198

Post by dmk1198 »

What about import fees guys?
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

If the value of the goods is below £135, then there are no fees - but a) VAT must be paid in advance b) sometimes Royal Mail make up a fee for the privilege of handling something that's come from overseas (typically this was only when there were other customs charges due, so under £135 goods value and you should be safe - I've not had it charged post-Brexit on stuff coming from Germany, at least)

If you're after a physical copy, I'd suggest going via PlayAsia. They'll add the VAT at the checkout and offer either slow/cheap or fast/expensive delivery. What I'd recommend is you find a couple of other titles you can't otherwise buy here (make sure they're all definitely in stock to ensure no hanging around), add them in (but don't exceed £135) and pay for the fast shipping. I've done that a few times since our customs rules changed and it's FedEx which arrives within a few days - rather than a month of waiting and wondering if it's actually in a container that's sat at the bottom of the ocean
cfx

Post by cfx »

CDJapan will also pre-collect VAT according to these articles:
https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/info/20230622
https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/guide/help/pa ... import_VAT

I can't offer further insight since where I live there is no VAT or taxes on imports.
TransatlanticFoe

Yeah most places either do, or it's passed on to the postage company and shows up as expensive postage - PlayAsia did the latter originally when the new rules came in, now they collect it themselves. But it's an extra on top of the sticker price so one to watch out for!
dmk1198

Post by dmk1198 »

Thnx guys you've been Supa helpful
My son orders alot of anime and says it takes 3 weeks?
My bday June 30th
I'd like to play this badboy
Think digital fuck it x
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

dmk1198 wrote:Thnx guys you've been Supa helpful
My son orders alot of anime and says it takes 3 weeks?
My bday June 30th
I'd like to play this badboy
Think digital fuck it x
If you go Express via Play-Asia you'll have it within a few days once they ship it. I usually get it within in 3 working days here in Canada, and it was the same when I was in the US. Perhaps a bit slower to the UK? Would have to hear from others, but I doubt it's more than a business week.
TransatlanticFoe

It's like 5 days tops to the UK - honestly it's worth the money if you fill your cart up with a few other things. Full tracking and all that
dmk1198

Post by dmk1198 »

Thnx guys
dojo_b

Post by dojo_b »

Not enough gamers talk about the pleasures of celibacy. Hear me out! Even though Ray'z sauce was in my possession, I abstained completely from Rayforce (and the rest) until I had cleared noted homage KAMUI. I had done this once earlier, going Mushi --> M. Futari, and in both cases I was rewarded by some of the most fun casual play sessions in memory. There's just something about getting a flood of new, quality gameplay, but undergirded by distinctive systems or sensibilities you've already grappled with in dead earnest, and in some Gilgamesh/Enkidu-like measure, tamed and befriended. Now your heart swells as you see them rise again in even greater majesty! (Not that I can say which is the better game here, they both rock, but I had to do it in this direction because I doubt I'll be 1CCing Rayforce anytime soon.)
dmk1198

Post by dmk1198 »

Purchased on PS4, switch also available UK now £43.99
dmk1198

Post by dmk1198 »

Really enjoying playing them again today
Will up the difficulty on nxt play thrus
BIL

Post by BIL »

dojo_b wrote:Not enough gamers talk about the pleasures of celibacy. Hear me out! Even though Ray'z sauce was in my possession, I abstained completely from Rayforce (and the rest) until I had cleared noted homage KAMUI. I had done this once earlier, going Mushi --> M. Futari, and in both cases I was rewarded by some of the most fun casual play sessions in memory. There's just something about getting a flood of new, quality gameplay, but undergirded by distinctive systems or sensibilities you've already grappled with in dead earnest, and in some Gilgamesh/Enkidu-like measure, tamed and befriended. Now your heart swells as you see them rise again in even greater majesty! (Not that I can say which is the better game here, they both rock, but I had to do it in this direction because I doubt I'll be 1CCing Rayforce anytime soon.)
Also try out Soukyugurentai, sadly not as available as Rayforce or Kamui, but absolutely worth the effort - that's the other half of Kamui's DNA, though the rock operatics, super meter, and hyperalloy-shearing GODLAZ0R are very much Jirurun's own. ;3
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

dojo_b wrote:Gilgamesh
Ballin'.

Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Flashman

Post by Flashman »

dmk1198 wrote:
cfx wrote:Japanese and Asian discs are still available and have English language:

I see you went digital, but just for future reference I've never had a problem getting Play Asia stuff to the U.K. - shipping, VAT and import fee are sorted at checkout and then the product just comes through your letter box (very quickly too, maybe 1.5 weeks after dispatch) :)

You do have to be a bit careful with some releases, if you are not comfortable with everything in Japanese, but these days someone always makes a YT video to translate options menu's, which is all you need for SHMUPS really. Plus if the game comes with DLC you will need to set up a Japanese PS4/5 account which is a hassle, but again YT is your friend and once you've done it, it's done.

The multi language version of this release is a good one to go for; everything in English and will work with a U.K. PSN account, so minimum fuss and I do like a physical where possible (I did pay closer to £60 all told) really been enjoying this one.
dmk1198

Post by dmk1198 »

Flashman wrote:
dmk1198 wrote:

I see you went digital, but just for future reference I've never had a problem getting Play Asia stuff to the U.K. - shipping, VAT and import fee are sorted at checkout and then the product just comes through your letter box (very quickly too, maybe 1.5 weeks after dispatch) :)

You do have to be a bit careful with some releases, if you are not comfortable with everything in Japanese, but these days someone always makes a YT video to translate options menu's, which is all you need for SHMUPS really. Plus if the game comes with DLC you will need to set up a Japanese PS4/5 account which is a hassle, but again YT is your friend and once you've done it, it's done.

The multi language version of this release is a good one to go for; everything in English and will work with a U.K. PSN account, so minimum fuss and I do like a physical where possible (I did pay closer to £60 all told) really been enjoying this one.
Cheers pal yes I have jap account but was keen to play on my bday June 30th and son wasn't keen givin me present early lol
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

I just looked this up on the e-shop, and think it's cool that they offer a 'bargain' version even though it sort makes no sense pricing-wise (they knock off one title for $10 less, but one third of $50 is $16-$17)
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

According to Mark at Electric Underground all the games on Ray'z for the PS4 come in a blistering fast 2 frames of input lag. This is without monitor lag so once you add that in most people are probably going to be closer to 3 frames or above depending.

Very impressive stuff especially when you consider there are three individual types of hardware emulated here not seen emulated by others right now. (Although I know G NET is a cartridge based variation of the FX-1B I'm not sure how different they are otherwise?)
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

The FX series is basically PS1 hardware stuffed into an arcade cab, plus some extras (RAM, I think?) that allow for things like the fancy in-engine logo animation and way less slowdown in arcade G Darius. There were quite a few of these from various developers back then.

The G-Net is also PS1 based, but there's a bit of additional hardware. I'm not totally sure what's in it, but it's enough for Ray Crisis to have needed a few small cuts for the PS1 port, like music having to reload between stages, though even that might simply be another RAM limitation. That being said, some G-Net games like Psyvariar and especially Shikigami no Shiro don't feel like PS1 games at all, whereas FX games like Ray Storm and G Darius mostly do.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Rastan78 wrote:According to Mark at Electric Underground all the games on Ray'z for the PS4 come in a blistering fast 2 frames of input lag. This is without monitor lag so once you add that in most people are probably going to be closer to 3 frames or above depending.
It's really an amazing package. Best shmup release of the year thus far.

Semi-related, and this is just a question that's been floating in my head for a while, but, is there not a better way to measure input lag than what Mark does? He has so much influence here over the discussion, and what we see in videos is some janky little LED taped to a TV screen.

I don't really know the answer here, but within other gaming communities that care about these sorts of things, like fighting games, is this really the standard? We seem to log this sort of stuff as LAW, and I just have a hard believing it's all that accurate. So many variables that could be impacting that number...