Ray'z Arcade Chronology [Taito x M2] - PS4/Switch [2023]

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Rastan78

Re: Ray'z Arcade Chronology [Taito x M2] - PS4/Switch [2023]

Post by Rastan78 »

Steven wrote:Well, before I go to sleep since it's past 0300 now, I'll ask a question: does anyone know what the autofire rate on Layer Section is? That's probably what I want to use for RayForce since I like that rate of fire, whatever it is. The 30Hz on R-Gear seemed pretty close, but I don't know.
The software autofire on the PCB is 15hz. I imagine the Saturn is probably the same? This is why you can get faster speeds with an external autofire device and the autofire dip turned off on the PCB.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

I might have to pick this one up.
CRP

Post by CRP »

Steven wrote: Is SLG actually shipping this stuff this year or will you have to wait until 2025 for them to actually ship it?
Slg site says spring 2023. I gladly wait abit and have releaseday patch included on cart and possibly some more updates. It think the slg cartwill be released by the summer the latest.
Bar81

Post by Bar81 »

CRP wrote:
Steven wrote: Is SLG actually shipping this stuff this year or will you have to wait until 2025 for them to actually ship it?
Slg site says spring 2023. I gladly wait abit and have releaseday patch included on cart and possibly some more updates. It think the slg cartwill be released by the summer the latest.
Not really sure why SLG is still listing spring for release since the JP version just released. Agree that it's more likely to be a summer release. It would also be great if SLG updates it's page to tell us what will be in English.
ColonelFatso

Post by ColonelFatso »

I've only played a couple quick test credits so far, but boy howdy does the collection ever handle well by comparison to MAME. Not sure what kind of wizardry is involved but Rayforce is so responsive that it actually messes with my muscle memory from MAME. Don't have an emulation reference point for the other two games but the controls are similarly snappy across the whole collection. Another job well done.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Ray's get. God damn is the LE beautiful. It might be the nicest-looking one I have ever seen. I also recorded R-Gear for you guys. I'm copying it over from the PS5 now and I'll put it up when I can.

Alright, here is R-Gear in its entirety: https://youtu.be/8BMcjAzCna8

Might have to wait for it to finish processing, and it won't be in HD until then, but there you go. Got the no miss this time lol.
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

I'm jealous, Amazon haven't even shipped my copy yet so I'm waiting on my R-Gear code. Glad to hear all the positive impressions!
Steven

Post by Steven »

Yeah, it's pretty awesome. It makes me want to go buy RayForce and an F3 so I can use the arcade instruction stuff inside my New Astro City lol.

Seems that RayForce also lets you use the Layer Section OST. Goodbye Layer Section; there is now no reason to ever play you again, I think.
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

Steven wrote:Ray's get. God damn is the LE beautiful. It might be the nicest-looking one I have ever seen. I also recorded R-Gear for you guys. I'm copying it over from the PS5 now and I'll put it up when I can.

Might have to wait for it to finish processing, and it won't be in HD until then, but there you go. Got the no miss this time lol.
That’s pretty awesome. Thanks for uploading
Steven

Post by Steven »

Info on Taito Hey audio: https://twitter.com/TAITO_Apps/status/1 ... 4857699328

G-Darius, Darius Gaiden, Dariusburst AC, Darius, Darius II, Ninja Warriors, Syvalion, Night Striker, Operation Thunderbolt, Cameltry, Gun Frontier, Metal Black, RayForce, RayStorm, RayCrisis, and Grid Seeker are here, but the most interesting one is that there is some Dino Rex audio in here too lol.

Now over where Cadash is there is also Gradius, Gradius IV, and some other stuff, and right behind the mic there are a few games as well, so I am not sure what they did with those, but judging by the picture it looks like they sadly didn't do the recording when 1941 Counter Attack was there, as that was opposite from the RayStorm/RayCrisis cabinet for a few months, but the picture shows a horizontal game instead. Of course, they would have needed to ask Capcom or whoever first to do that, so not really surprising. Testing it now, I can definitely hear the awful screeching sounds of Dino Rex and it's glorious.

If you want to simulate the actual audio inside there, turn the Taito Hey audio up to max and put the game audio to where you can barely hear it over the noise. It's loud as fuck in there to the point where you usually can't really hear what you are playing unless you use headphones.
BIL

Post by BIL »

ColonelFatso wrote:I've only played a couple quick test credits so far, but boy howdy does the collection ever handle well by comparison to MAME. Not sure what kind of wizardry is involved but Rayforce is so responsive that it actually messes with my muscle memory from MAME. Don't have an emulation reference point for the other two games but the controls are similarly snappy across the whole collection. Another job well done.
I swear RayCrisis is legitimately easier here than on PS1, with the unshakeable framerate, sub-zero latency and crystal-clear HD polys. Twitching through lots of stuff I'd macro around or bomb there. Of course, I know that just means the performance ceiling is yet more towering.

Also holy fuck it rocks not having those pre-boss loadscreens interrupting Tamayo's BGM. :cool:
Steven

Post by Steven »

Overall, I am very pleased with how this turned out. It has a few oddities, though.

Why does turning the wallpaper off give a gradient instead of just black? The M2 Darius games do the same thing, so maybe Taito asked them to make it that way for some reason.
No training mode. Not too much of a problem since there are save states, but...
Only 12 save states, so if you want more than that, too bad

I've only played this on PCB 3 times, with all of my other experience being on Layer Section instead, but this has ensured that I will never play Layer Section again. I actually kind of like playing it with the Taito Hey audio for some reason, too. The default audio levels are basically perfect, unlike the real Taito Hey; when you are in there for a little while and then go outside you'll notice your ears are ringing due to how loud it is in that place.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Which version are you playing? I had a quick look last night (PS4) and counted 36 savestates for Rayforce, not sure about the other two games.

Yeah, the grey bg slightly nonplussed me, too. Wouldn't surprise me if it was indeed something mandated by higher-ups; can't have (actual quote) "ugly black pillars" taking up the screen. :| :lol:

I went back and tried out S-Tribute Layer Section's demo, out of curiosity. I have to say, while it's not as pinpoint-precise, it's still not an intolerable downgrade. Of course, there's absolutely no reason to get it now, with Ray'z out, unless I suppose you only want RF (I've no idea if it's significantly cheaper than Ray'z, ignore this point if so). Even then, it's only as close as the Saturn port, eg damn close, but not 1:1 like Ray'z.
Steven

Post by Steven »

I have both, but yeah, I saw 36 earlier on PS4 and then I played on Switch more recently and saw 12 and I thought I was going crazy or something when I saw (or thought I saw) 36 earlier. I'll check again, but if it really is 12 on Switch and 36 on PS4, that's not good.

Sure enough, I checked and it's 12 on Switch and 36 on PS4. Uh... that's odd. Not really sure what to say about that.

City Connection Layer Section is 2980 yen on the eshop. Ray'z is 7480 yen for the standard version, so typical M2 ShotTriggers pricing. If you only want RayForce, I guess you'd be okay with City Connection if you don't mind the downgrade in performance compared to Ray'z, or you could get the actual Saturn disc for less than that price if you have a Saturn, but that's Layer Section and not RayForce, so that's another thing to consider.

I think it's worth it to get Ray'z. Yes, premium release = premium price, but this is probably the best collection M2 has put out in a while, or at the least it's my favourite one in the last few years in terms of feeling like a complete package, despite no training, arrange, or custom modes. The Toaplan ones are good, but they do feel slightly incomplete in spots if I'm being completely honest. I still think Garegga is the best overall ShotTriggers release. They REALLY put a lot of care into that release... it lacks a training mode as well but I think I can forgive them for that one given how perfect it is otherwise. I generally seem to prefer the regular versions of games instead of arrange modes, but Garegga's Premium mode is really good, which helps, partially because the game is still too hard for me in the regular arcade mode.

BTW bug list from Taito's Twitter, seemingly to do with using the arranged music instead of the regular music: https://twitter.com/TAITO_Apps/status/1 ... 3792586752

DeepL since I'm too lazy to translate it manually now:

Notice of a problem with "Ray Crisis" (including HD) recorded in "Ray'z Arcade Chronology" (1/3)

A bug was found in which the player data recorded for each player name was saved separately depending on the BGM setting (ORIGINAL/ARRANGE).

Notice of "Ray Crisis" bug(2/3)

This will be fixed in a future update to unify the player data on the ORIGINAL side.
We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause to our customers.
Thank you for your continued support of "Raise Arcade Chronology".

(3/3)
<If you want to keep the player data on the ARRANGE side
Before applying the update, start the game with the BGM setting set to ARRANGE and perform a QUICK SAVE.
After applying the update, restart the game with QUICK LOAD and play until the game is over.
The player data will be overwritten.
BIL

Post by BIL »

God I love Raystorm's fourth stage. I never really understood how to optimally chain it, but it feels rad just to survive with a reasonable shootdown ratio. My favourite STG depiction of the classic tiny ship VS monster armada... I suppose not really "VS," since you're really just trying to make it to the warp gate (which the bastards used to invade Earth space!), without getting shredded to ribbons. Taking out flagship HANNIBAL gotta be good for the war effort, though. :cool: Better than ever here, feels like you can see for miles down into the void.
Steven

Post by Steven »

All three of these games beat the shit out of me, but doesn't either RayStorm or RayCrisis get super difficult eventually? I had never played them before I got this collection, and while I don't think they are as good as RayForce, I still like them, even if I am terrible.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Raystorm has rather nasty (and IIRC unavoidable) Rank, and no extends on top of that, plus some pretty ruthless stage design that's bound to tie you up at first - and you've got to absorb the innately less precise 2.5d, as well. All that said, I find it pretty feasible; tough but fair. I'd put it in Rayforce's ballpark, at least for pure survival. The RG-2 is supposed to have an absolutely towering performance ceiling, with the way its x16 lockons work. RG-1 is a comfier pick for basic survival imo, feels more geared towards Just Killing Shit™.

tbh, the 2.5d is what I always have to re-adjust to - it's impossible not to wish these wild stage designs weren't used in a classically topdown 2D game. At the same time, the controls are sharp, and collision is surprisingly readable - all the fundamental STG techniques like macro-dodging, herding and cutbacks translate over well. And in truth, the viewing angle is hardly any more troublesome than the camera panning you have to grapple with in the typical Raidenesque. An STG undeniably compromised by trends, but still highly enjoyable, imo.

This ignoring the atmosphere, which I've always found absolutely charming. Where Rayforce and Raycrisis both have a certain ethereality, with their premise of artificial consciousness gone rogue - Raystorm is just brutal interplanetary warfare, straight-up knock down and drag out carnage. Though, with the same decidedly feminine inflection of Tamayo's unmistakable soundtrack; thoughtful, playful, though always imposingly grave when it has to be. It reminds me of stuff like Legend of the Galactic Heroes, the sense of war pursuing mankind forever, even into the outer reaches of space, all his advancements only coming back to the same old tragedy.

...not the sort of assets that can save a bad STG in my book, but it'll definitely entice me to work with an already pretty good one. :mrgreen: Stage 5 at max Rank is a sight to behold, arriving at the enemy invasion's staging ground, greeted by an unholy fuckton of flak. They really don't want you making it to their home planet, looming in the background! It's so damn intense, haha.

Raycrisis, I've only ever dabbled in, and via the necessarily downsized (though still highly competent) PS1 port, at that - but it always felt a bit less immediately ruthless than either predecessor. I could be dead wrong there though, the way its Encroachment system and stage pathing work. Looking forward to digging into that one!
Last edited by BIL on Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steven

Post by Steven »

BIL wrote:Raystorm has rather nasty (and IIRC unavoidable) Rank, and no extends on top of that, plus some pretty ruthless stage design that's bound to tie you up at first - and you've got to absorb the innately less precise 2.5d, as well.
lol great, my favourite combination of weird perspective, nasty rank, and no extends. I'll see what I can do about it, but RayForce is the priority for now.

Looking at the Perikles difficulty list, he has RayForce survival clear as the same difficulty as Kyuukyoku Tiger 1-ALL, so while I still feel like I barely got that clear, I should theoretically be able to do RayForce with my current skill level, but difficulty is subjective, so who knows. I made it to like stage 5 or 6 on Layer Section when I first got it like 2 years ago without too much trouble (or was it with continues? I honestly don't even remember at this point), but this feels a lot harder, either because I forgot everything or it's actually a harder game than the Saturn version, or maybe (and probably) both. I turned the continue DIP switch off like I usually do, but given the lack of a training mode, I should probably turn it back on and feed it just to make some save states in the later parts of the game.

I don't have a record player so I can't listen to the record that I didn't really want to get for that exact reason, but for anyone who wants only the record, it doesn't have a NOT FOR RESALE thing on it anywhere; instead it has a release date (March 9, 2023, of course), a price (4620 yen, tax included), and a barcode, so I am guessing that they will or already are selling this separately somewhere. No, you can't have mine! One of my friends loves this game and its music and he's thinking about getting a record player, so if he does I need my record so I can go listen to it at his house!
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Raystorm has to be one of the nastiest shmup I've ever cleared. Game really helps with the 2 additional extends (aka Working Designs defaults) because dying 1-2 times in stage 5 won't be as bad.
BIL wrote:All that said, I find it pretty feasible; tough but fair. I'd put it in Rayforce's ballpark, at least for pure survival.
Some of the players who have experience/cleared both games are agree that Raystorm is way ahead than Rayforce difficulty-wise. You have to deal with the nasty RNGs in stage 5, brutal st6 opener and the infamous Gundam boss, and the entirety of stage 7, all with 3 lives. Once you get to stage 5 onwards game is becoming a slot machine.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Bear in mind with Cozmic Collection and Revelation major updates added on training mode and a bunch of other stuff. Don't be surprised if the same happens here, but they might take a while.

One minor detail I love with this one is how they kept the gadgets sort of subdued and tasteful, along with the beautifully done GUI all around. When I see the gadgets on the Shottriggers stuff my eyes glaze over. It can also compete for visibility with the game window itself. They really got it right here IMO.

@copy-paster, really enjoyed that STG weekly btw.
BIL

Post by BIL »

copy-paster wrote:Some of the players who have experience/cleared both games are agree that Raystorm is way ahead than Rayforce difficulty-wise. You have to deal with the nasty RNGs in stage 5, brutal st6 opener and the infamous Gundam boss, and the entirety of stage 7, all with 3 lives. Once you get to stage 5 onwards game is becoming a slot machine.
True, I remember now how nasty it gets. I'm probably not the best judge of it - I've played it way, way longer than I have Rayforce, back when it and R-Type Delta were the only STGs I had access to. Needless to say, while Delta is a thoroughbred in terms of quality, its difficulty never approaches Raystorm's, which I went into thinking I was hot shit, only to receive a hard slap. :lol:
Steven wrote:
BIL wrote:Raystorm has rather nasty (and IIRC unavoidable) Rank, and no extends on top of that, plus some pretty ruthless stage design that's bound to tie you up at first - and you've got to absorb the innately less precise 2.5d, as well.
lol great, my favourite combination of weird perspective, nasty rank, and no extends. I'll see what I can do about it, but RayForce is the priority for now.
Rayforce is the headliner here, without question. tbh, had this been a ShotTriggers Rayforce, I'd have been every bit as thrilled - getting super-enhanced ports of Raystorm and Raycrisis in the deal is just a rare bit of ridiculous good fortune, imo. :mrgreen:
Last edited by BIL on Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Thanks mang heheh was pretty nice too.

I haven't tell this to anyone here but for the record I've cleared every modes in Raystorm possible starting from December last year till January, starting with 13 Ship mode/Extra arrange/Original arcade mode in both PS1 Japanese and US Working Designs (they have different default settings) and Arcade/Extra mode in HD port. Now with this port available there's no excuse to not atleast try this damn game. :lol:
BIL

Post by BIL »

It might just be me, but in Raystorm, it feels like 30hz auto on shot helps counteract the nastily tough HP of smaller enemies at max Rank. As I say, I could be wrong... just feels like I'm cutting through them a bit more cleanly.

Normally I don't go straight for max auto, but in STGs this ruthless, IDGAF - it's time to spray 'em down real good, motherfucker! Image Image ( :lol:)
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Okay, I'm going to stop looking at this thread before it costs me $70...
Steven

Post by Steven »

My sleep schedule is completely ruined, but one random thought before bed (actually I am in bed now typing on the Vita again, but...): anyone think R-Gear has any potential at all as a little caravan game? I have not yet tried to see if it spawns more enemies if you kill stuff fast enough, though I know RayForce has at least one instance where it does that at the stage 1 boss, so I guess it is not impossible.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Mang, the stage 6 opening cloudbank looks niiice on Neo HD :o Like mashed potatoes :shock: Seriously, looks almost Naomi-esque. I wasn't expecting to love the HD modes as much as I do, probably won't go back to the OGs any time soon - though as ever, I love that they're included too.

What a fuckin brutal opener, but then it would be, you're right on the enemy's doorstep and ready to put your foot up Judah Central System's ass. :cool:
BEAMLORD

Post by BEAMLORD »

Rastan - Gadgets are certainly understated in this release, probably a little too much for my tastes. But I'm a gadget man, and I'd have those borders filled with dials, meters and my goddamn daily horoscope if I could. Still, the ones included here are really all you need, although I would've liked a boss health meter. As for Rayforce in particular, the laser meter is perfectly placed and really pops in your peripherals, most helpful indeed.

As Steven mentioned, I feel the same with regard to Rayforce's difficulty at the moment. I'm only familiar with Saturn's Layer Section, and I can get up to stage 4/5 on a credit usually. I'm choking out at stage 3 routinely in Ray'z Rayforce :mrgreen: Ah, well. Early days innit.

As a side note, Rayforce has probably the best enclosed megacity vibe in a shmup, an aesthetic environmental setting I'm a total sucker for. Like Evangelion's Geo Front beneath Tokyo-3, or Macross City. Love that shit. Axelay's stage 2 has a similar, although tubular look.
Last edited by BEAMLORD on Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

Raystorm is one of my favourite stg ever (Raystorm>>>>>>>>Layer Section.
Shit I’m going digital before SLG arrives. :/
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Steven wrote:Ray's get. God damn is the LE beautiful. It might be the nicest-looking one I have ever seen. I also recorded R-Gear for you guys. I'm copying it over from the PS5 now and I'll put it up when I can.

Thanks Steven for that cool YT video of R-Gear.

I get the initial impression that if Taito had made R-Gear as a fully developed arcade stg sequel, it would've been for the Taito F3 platform as a dedicated F3 based pcb or as an actual F3 cartridge. Taito could revive it & finish it by making it the very last official F3 cart to sell to the arcade market for the 2023/2024 timeframe. It would mean having to round up the old Taito R-Gear arcade dev team to get it done, right?

Yes Steven, playing the Taito F3 Ray Force on a candy cab is the best way to play it. You'll be glad with that type of setup.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
RobotParking

Post by RobotParking »

m.sniffles.esq wrote:Okay, I'm going to stop looking at this thread before it costs me $70...
Big same. I have the SLG release on order but this thread is eroding my will to not double dip.

Not that I’m surprised, but I’m over the moon that this collection came together so well.