Ray'z Arcade Chronology [Taito x M2] - PS4/Switch [2023]

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
jehu

Ray'z Arcade Chronology [Taito x M2] - PS4/Switch [2023]

Post by jehu »

https://www.taito.co.jp/rayzarcadechronology

We're getting the M2 treatment on all three Ray games, including HD upgrades of Storm and Crisis. March 9, 2023.

Edit: A bit of translation gore, but here's the breakdown of the collector's editions.

Last edited by jehu on Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Steven

Re: Ray'z Arcade Chronology [Taito x M2] - on PS4/Switch 202

Post by Steven »

My first thought when I saw this was

OH FUCK OH FUCK OH FUCK

Screw you, Shitty Connection. M2's here to show you how to do it properly.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

*clears throat*

AHEM

Suck it City Connection!
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Augemitbutter

Post by Augemitbutter »

This only happened because i just bought Crisis, lol. Going to support every M2 release.
EmperorIng

Re: Ray'z Arcade Chronology [Taito x M2] - PS4/Switch [2023]

Post by EmperorIng »

This is a godsend for one of the best trilogies in shmups. Sad to say this makes City Connection look like a bunch of clowns with their S Tribute release that no one will buy now.

Man, the thought of people actually playing RayCrisis again, and seeing how it's secretly second best, or possibly best, of the Ray games makes me as giddy as a schoolgirl.
jehu

Post by jehu »

EmperorIng wrote:Man, the thought of people actually playing RayCrisis again, and seeing how it's secretly second best, or possibly best, of the Ray games makes me as giddy as a schoolgirl.
I still play the mobile port from time to time just to hear the OST. A real gem.

Personally, I'm looking forward to giving RayStorm another look. I never had my moment with that game, maybe this is the time to properly reevaluate it.

Edit: A meta-technical point, but is there a way to reduce the size of images in his forum? I like having the promo image in the Topic Post, but they're always a bit too big and unwieldy. Would I have to host the image separately to get it smaller, or is there an easier way to downsize it just a little?
Last edited by jehu on Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steven

Post by Steven »

This honestly makes me wonder if Toyama Yuuichi or whoever else is in charge over at Taito got pissed at City Connection for something to do with that Layer Section release and decided to give City Connection the middle finger and get it done the way they should have done it in the first place.
pablumatic

Post by pablumatic »

One of the few older series I have all the console releases for. Will pick it up since it'll be an upgrade.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Sweetness! All three games with their original titles! G Darius HD is good stuff!

I like the PSX port of Raystorm quite a bit. The extra mode is a nice addition to that port.
Last edited by BrianC on Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
jehu

Post by jehu »

Steven wrote:This honestly makes me wonder if Toyama Yuuichi or whoever else is in charge over at Taito got pissed at City Connection for something to do with that Layer Section release and decided to give City Connection the middle finger and get it done the way they should have done it in the first place.
The S-Tribute series is really frustrating. On one hand, I know I'll want at least Elevator Action Returns and Metal Black on Switch to play portably, but on the other - it's all such a shameless cash grab.

If all their ports were on the Deathsmiles end of the scale, I'd really love having them around. But like 3/4s of their output, if not more, is disappointing shit.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I wish the Saturn version of EAR wasn't so dang expensive, but it was certainly worth the cash. Even includes a nice port of the original Elevator Action.

Glad to see that M2 is doing another F3 port with Rayforce.
Steven

Post by Steven »

jehu wrote:
Steven wrote:This honestly makes me wonder if Toyama Yuuichi or whoever else is in charge over at Taito got pissed at City Connection for something to do with that Layer Section release and decided to give City Connection the middle finger and get it done the way they should have done it in the first place.
The S-Tribute series is really frustrating. On one hand, I know I'll want at least Elevator Action Returns and Metal Black on Switch to play portably, but on the other - it's all such a shameless cash grab.

If all their ports were on the Deathsmiles end of the scale, I'd really love having them around. But like 3/4s of their output, if not more, is disappointing shit.
I feel bad for anyone who wasted their money on that Layer Section release now that we have what will be the best version of RayForce announced less than 3 months later. The timing is strange.

Anyway, literally just yesterday I was thinking about getting Layer Section II on Saturn. No point in doing that now. Since it's Taito, I suppose there is a not-zero chance this will release on PC in the next 14 years or something. I hope they get both this and Darius Cozmic Revelation on PC, but I might as well get them on PS4 or Switch since they seem to take so long to do the PC versions.
Austin

Post by Austin »

Hell yes, this is amazing news!
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

EmperorIng wrote:Sad to say this makes City Connection look like a bunch of clowns with their S Tribute release that no one will buy now.
It's okay. They were already looking like clowns.
gbaplayer

Post by gbaplayer »

Amazing, but i hope we will get an announcement for the next Toaplan Arcade Garage title also.
My PCB Collection (2): Cyvern, R-Type Leo
BIL

Post by BIL »

Not gonna lie, first impulse on seeing this thread title was "April Fool's, they even kept the super-cool Ray'z name from the OST box set!" :lol:

What a wonderful time it's been for eternally-overdue home releases of arcade essentials, lately. :cool: Warms the heart to know there's people out there with the same mindset: proper reference-standard home releases of this stuff will never, ever be too late. (and conversely, crummy attempts will never be enough!)

Glory to M2. Image I'm cryin' like shit over heeya. Image
jehu wrote:Edit: A meta-technical point, but is there a way to reduce the size of images in his forum? I like having the promo image in the Topic Post, but they're always a bit too big and unwieldy. Would I have to host the image separately to get it smaller, or is there an easier way to downsize it just a little?
The former, pretty much - I usually bung 'em onto imgur, then use that site's sadly-obscure thumbnail feature. Basically, put an "s" "m" "l" or "h" at the end of the URL for small, med, large and huge thumbs, respectively. A rough science, but that's oldschool forums for ya innit. :mrgreen:

Here's "huge" thumbnail with the OG image linked inline:
Spoiler
For really extreme cases, I'll resort to scaling down in paint.net or photoshop or what have you. It's hard out here on the ol' shumps farm trail :shock: Image
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Here's a nice little CSS snippet System11 could inject to the site in order elegantly fix gigantic images:

Code: Select all

.postbody img {
    max-width: 100%;
}
Or if you got a browser plugin like Stylebot or such, you can do it for yourself :P
Astro City II

Post by Astro City II »

At least City Connection port their games to Xbox and Steam. Taito could be more inclusive. Sucks tbh.
jehu

Post by jehu »

BIL wrote:The former, pretty much - I usually bung 'em onto imgur, then use that site's sadly-obscure thumbnail feature. Basically, put an "s" "m" "l" or "h" at the end of the URL for small, med, large and huge thumbs, respectively. A rough science, but that's oldschool forums for ya innit. :mrgreen:
Thanks for the tip! Should be a little less unwieldy now - I'll do this going forward. No more topic posts as unsightly as the Eschatos one I made last year.
Steven

Post by Steven »

jehu wrote:No more topic posts as unsightly as the Eschatos one I made last year.
BRB finding

Found. Uh... that's something that exists.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

I'm glad to be so wrong when I said that something like this could never happen once the S-Tribute was announced. Reeeally odd outcome. Hopefully they can invent something for EAR, though that's way more unlikely for many reasons. Bubble Symphony, on the other hand...

Where's the Steam version announcement, though.
Sturmvogel Prime

Post by Sturmvogel Prime »

2023?
Another long wait...
Fan of Transformers, Shmups and Anime-styled Girls. You're teamed up with the right pilot!
Bringing you shmup and video game reviews with humorous criticism.

STG Wikias: Thunder Force Wiki - Wikiheart Exelica - Ginga Force Wiki
jehu

Post by jehu »

Steven wrote:
jehu wrote:No more topic posts as unsightly as the Eschatos one I made last year.
BRB finding

Found. Uh... that's something that exists.
I was going to go back and fix it, but now it's iconic - so it stands.
Sturmvogel Prime wrote:2023?
That deserved to be a Christmas/December 2022 release.
I know. I'm fiending for a STG heavyweight to be locked in for a late 2022 release. We had such an insane late-year streak in 2021, but this year feels a little dry. Where's Branch? Where's the new Toaplan collection? Even City Connection?? Is their Akai Katana a go for around then? Where's LiveWire? Ubusana???
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Why would EAR be unlikely? If they can emulate Layer Section, they can emulate Symphony and EAR.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Not technologically, of course. But on the one hand they don't have anything to build a pack with other than, well, the first EA. And on the other, this EAR cult is a far west thing. In Japan it's a well respected game but that's it. Nothing like a well-known STG. And finally, Saturn EAR was essentially a 1:1 port, unlike Rayforce.
Steven

Post by Steven »

I'd pay some serious cash if M2 got to do Elevator Action Returns. Hamster can't do ST-V on ACA, and from what I understand the F3 is close enough to the ST-V in whatever way to basically prevent F3 games from being on ACA, but if Hamster somehow got F3 emulation running, I'd give them some serious cash for the game as well.

City Connection's name makes me relatively uninterested by default, but if they don't mess it up (and I'm sure they will somehow), I'd consider buying it from them.

...but they'll mess it up somehow. I REALLY hope I'm wrong, though.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

The problem with City Connection's S-Tribute releases is that they already messed them up unless it's an RPG, because the emulator they bought has no way to overcome its latency issues unless it's rewritten. They don't seem to care about fixing other fixable issues such as proper scanlines filters, etc., so the sooner their project dies the better.

And yeah, Taito's F3 and Sega's STV were the most powerful pieces of 2D hardware ever marketed, a nightmare to entirely emulate they say, so I don't see their games coming to Arcade Archives unless... Hamster hires M2 at some point. Big why not?
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

I don't know who Ray is, but I'd like to thank him for giving us this arcade chronology.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

As a non-native english speaker, I'd like to know as well if the 'z is something else than a nod to the Cozmic Collection.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Uselessly tiny screenshots of everything here: https://www.taito.co.jp/mob/topics/25344